https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

transfers-change of focus

Started by Thailand Mick, August 22, 2023, 06:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY Rock ????

The change in direction is AEW Tony's new toy

Lighthouse

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2023, 07:05:04 PMTwo things arise from recent events - FFC can be worn down both from without and within and we now have a lot of dirty money which I hope everyone else in football outside Saudi Arabia avoids like the plague.

FFC has provided me with grounds for divorce and I never thought I see such a moment.  What a shambles we have become despite having a decent coaching team (who I do not blame at all) and all because people don't know how to say NO anymore (unless its about inappropriate negatives for nuclear, oil, gas and coal to help us make EFFICIENT electricity) and it is just so lazy.

Not sure where we go from here but it isn't where I thought we would go a few weeks back. As for FFC I am almost passed caring.

I can understand the sentiment and frustration.

The dirty money comment is something I can't really understand. I agree it is dirty money but then the alternative was clearly worse. So as I mentioned before. The flasher gives me 30 quid to buy some sweets. I will report him and tell the Police but I will still buy sweeties. It was something we couldn't avoid and so while I am disgusted by the circumstances surrounding this debacle. We have the money and so might as well use it to our advantage. What else could we do?

I do question our coaching staff and I do partially put the last games result down to them and team selection. The morals of the society we live in I wouldn't disagree with you about. I think at every level we live in a greedy, filthy place full of greedy, filthy people and the system we live by.

Football has become a mirror to the rest of the World. I am more disgusted (again sorry for repeating myself) about the officials on and off the pitch and the people running our game than I am about the football club. Who have been left in a very awkward position. But I shall nevertheless look forward to what comes along knowing I am priced out of ever seeing a game again live.

As for caring? I am more a selfish observer wanting something to cheer me up than I am a someone who cares. Once there was a time when Fulham were the be all and end all. Now they are just something I like that brings back memories.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Roberty

Quote from: The Old Count on August 22, 2023, 08:12:40 AMWith the way the Mitro situation has been handled (poorly imo) and the apparent inability to get players in who should take us to the next level, I am losing confidence in our management's ability to adapt to this season's difficult transfer window situation.
So, in short, I'll be amazed if we sign anyone truly outstanding.

What was poor about it ?
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

The Old Count

Quote from: Roberty on August 22, 2023, 08:21:21 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on August 22, 2023, 08:12:40 AMWith the way the Mitro situation has been handled (poorly imo) and the apparent inability to get players in who should take us to the next level, I am losing confidence in our management's ability to adapt to this season's difficult transfer window situation.

What was poor about it ?
I've been asked this in a couple of replies. So here goes:
Mitro stated early and clearly that he wanted to go to Saudi. In business as in life it is an advantage to realise that one cannot always talk someone round to staying when they are set on going. Even if one has managed that in the past. Making the correct judgement is crucial. Given the fact that Mitro was 100% set on leaving it would have been better to acknowledge this and act to find a replacement much earlier. We knew we could get at least £30 million for him and possibly as much as £50 million. We should have have reacted quicker and more efficiently.
In the same way that we seem to have acted regarding Jimenez and Traore. Just because Willian turned out well our recruitment team seem to imagine that this is formulaic.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: The Old Count on August 22, 2023, 08:52:45 PM

What was poor about it ?
Mitro stated early and clearly that he wanted to go to Saudi. In business as in life it is an advantage to realise that one cannot always talk someone round to staying when they are set on going. Even if one has managed that in the past. Making the correct judgement is crucial. Given the fact that Mitro was 100% set on leaving it would have been better to acknowledge this and act to find a replacement much earlier. We knew we could get at least £30 million for him and possibly as much as £50 million. We should have have reacted quicker and more efficiently.
In the same way that we seem to have acted regarding Jimenez and Traore. Just because Willian turned out well our recruitment team seem to imagine that this is formulaic.

I suspect reacting quicker to get a deal over the line would have just meant caving into the Saudi's original offer of £24m. I'd prefer "£46m around four games into the window" than "£24m in the preseason". Fulham gained £6m+ additional transfers fee per game that we waited, which is good business if you ask me.

In the summer of 2018:
"Early in the 2018 Window", Fulham spent £35m (on Seri, MLM, Fabri and Schullre) who didn't deliver while here and we received nothing when they left.
"Late in the 2018 Window", Fulham spent £70m (on Mitro, Angussia, Bryan, Chambers, Rico and Others) and received around £75m+ when those players left.

The Lesson is that "later in the window" gets you better players and better value, as players scramble for their second choice clubs. The striker we want is probably the one hoping to replace Harry Kane at Tottenham but ends up just missing out and looking for his next opportunity.  Obviously, there are some players whose first choose club is Fulham, like João Palhinha, who could join a better club, but most players only want Fulham after other so called better options fall through.

RaySmith

What was poor about it ?

The club didn't want Mitro to go, but it seems he was determined, so they held out out for as much as they could out of it - and maybe hoping to  get him to change his mind - thus giving them money towards a decent replacement.

Plus the club could well have been looking around for another striker, but obviously not that easy to find, but they've gained a bit more time - and cash, for this, though we obviously need someone urgently.

Trying to make the best of a difficult situation you could say - none of us know the full ins and outs of this matter.

Thailand Mick

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 23, 2023, 02:34:06 AM

What was poor about it ?

I suspect reacting quicker to get a deal over the line would have just meant caving into the Saudi's original offer of £24m. I'd prefer "£46m around four games into the window" than "£24m in the preseason". Fulham gained £6m+ additional transfers fee per game that we waited, which is good business if you ask me.

In the summer of 2018:
"Early in the 2018 Window", Fulham spent £35m (on Seri, MLM, Fabri and Schullre) who didn't deliver while here and we received nothing when they left.
"Late in the 2018 Window", Fulham spent £70m (on Mitro, Angussia, Bryan, Chambers, Rico and Others) and received around £75m+ when those players left.

The Lesson is that "later in the window" gets you better players and better value, as players scramble for their second choice clubs. The striker we want is probably the one hoping to replace Harry Kane at Tottenham but ends up just missing out and looking for his next opportunity.  Obviously, there are some players whose first choose club is Fulham, like João Palhinha, who could join a better club, but most players only want Fulham after other so called better options fall through.
completely agree with this post and that is why I believe the clubs focus has changed to different targets they can now afford with the extra spending power, just hope they can convince those players to sign.

Cobh Fulham Fan

The only part of this saga that has left me a little confused is the price for letting Mitro go.

we know Mitro wanted out and we know the club wanted him to stay.

We also know what Mitro was worth to Mitro. So why has the club allowed him to go for under £50 Million, when they had already put a price tag on Palhinha of £90 Million? Surely Mitro's role and value to the team was as crucial if not greater than Paliniha's.

We also know that the Saudis had Sheds full of the money to spend for Mitro?   I wonder what else was going on here that we dont know about, its just that Fulhams asking price for Mitro was never above £50 million, and we didnt get that!

H4usuallysitting

Good bit of business by the club, because that's what the club is...a business

Thailand Mick

Please don't turn this post into another Mitro thread, it was supposed to be about our future transfers and the fact that we might now be persuing different targets due to having more spending power

alfie

Quote from: filham on August 22, 2023, 10:09:12 AM
Mitro wanted the big money and was determined to leave and we achieved a record fee of £40/50m. That is a reasonable end result , how could it have been handled better.
I agree, I just don't get this "handled poorly" stuff, it would be interesting Old Count if you can explain your reasoning behind that comment.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

Quote from: alfie on August 23, 2023, 09:55:40 AM
Mitro wanted the big money and was determined to leave and we achieved a record fee of £40/50m. That is a reasonable end result , how could it have been handled better.
I agree, I just don't get this "handled poorly" stuff, it would be interesting Old Count if you can explain your reasoning behind that comment.

He has.

alfie

Quote from: Twig on August 23, 2023, 10:02:08 AM
Quote from: alfie on August 23, 2023, 09:55:40 AM

He has.
Where?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Fulham Fans transfer change of focus.

Someone really good we have never heard of is linked

Fans Reaction - This is rubbish. He would never come here we couldn't afford wages.

Someone really good is linked with someone else.

Fans Reaction - This is typical another one slips through the net. Typical Fulham bad management

Someone really good signs for Fulham

Fan Reaction - Not sure he isn't over rated, never liked him, look at his stats, my great auntie Ethel could play in that league.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope