watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1950 Bogota, Colombia

Started by ealex40, August 24, 2023, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ealex40

I wonder how many of our fans remember, or have heard of various top English footballers, being enticed by big money, to go and play in Colombia, South America. This was in 1950 and a couple of the players were current England internationals, who chose not to play for us in the 1950 World Cup.
At the time, Colombia was not in FIFA, so they did not have to comply with the rules.
However, after only a few matches, Colombia did join FIFA and because the English footballers were registered with English clubs, they were suspended from playing.

Some of our older fans may remember that we were able to sign Charlie Mitten (for £22,000), from Man United and he played alongside a very young Johnny Haynes. Other players were released by their clubs, including Neil Franklin, who had been the current centre half for England and played for Stoke City and Stanley Matthews.

So, as you can imagine, things don't always work out for people who are lured by promises of big money...I wonder how many of those who are now in Saudi Arabia, will live to regret going to live in the desert...Remember, their families may soon get fed up with living in such a hot climate and far away from family and friends.

There is a long description about Charlie Mitten, in Wikipedia, including....' Mitten's signing-on fee was reputedly £5,000 plus a weekly wage of at least £40, (versus the £12 maximum, in England). For this, he was given the nickname "The Bogotá Bandit", which later became the title of his autobiography. 

bog

I have the book by Charlie Mitten, Bogota Bandit. He was earning a pittance here so tried his luck in Sth America. We had the good fortune to have him play for us.   

I saw some of his playing days with us. A wonderful left winger. Very rarely missed a penalty.  As usual made little money from the game. Later managed  Newcastle.     

cmg

Worked out well for us in this instance.
When Colombia joined FIFA the 'renegade' players were forced home and received bans. Manchester United decided to dispense with Charlie Mitten, to our great advantage.
He did, however, end up as manager at Old Trafford - the old Manchester White City dog track next to the football ground.
Keen on dog racing, Charlie insisted that his injured greyhounds took precedence over the players on the CC treatment table.

[cmg = Charlie Mitten's greyhound]

filham

Oh yes, Charlie Mitten. Along with Tosh, Barret and Boa my favorite Fulham wide left players, such great crosses from the left.
Has it occurred to anyone that at the end of his two year contract Mitro could return and be available on a free.

H4usuallysitting

Sorry to change the subject, but I'd love to go too Colombia

I Ronic

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 24, 2023, 07:37:17 PMSorry to change the subject, but I'd love to go too Colombia

What position do you play?

flyingfish

I went to Colombia in 2000 and it is one of the most beautiful, friendly and interesting countries I have ever been to. A real eye opener.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: flyingfish on August 25, 2023, 08:02:16 AMI went to Colombia in 2000 and it is one of the most beautiful, friendly and interesting countries I have ever been to. A real eye opener.

Can you speak Spanish

flyingfish

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 25, 2023, 08:50:02 AM
Quote from: flyingfish on August 25, 2023, 08:02:16 AMI went to Colombia in 2000 and it is one of the most beautiful, friendly and interesting countries I have ever been to. A real eye opener.

Can you speak Spanish

At the time I could speak Spanish to a fairly high standard. It has slipped a bit in recent years through lack of practice. In 2000, there were still insurgency issues around the country, and speaking Spanish was an absolute must as a matter of safety, for example, in order to understand which bus routes it may be safe to travel on. Also, at the time, there was still a fair amount of anti-American sentiment and a quick, no, soy gringo would often be followed by a chat about where you are from  generally as there were few tourists in the country people will be absolutely fascinated to meet someone from England. So it was a matter of personal safety, but also open many doors. Many happy memories of hanging out with cool Colombians in bars.

filham

25 years ago I had work in Peru for a month and had to change aircraft at Miami ,that was painful. The Americans were obsessed with drug traffic and although you were only in transit you had to go through the procedure of entering the States, there was a hour long queue and very rude customs officers to endure.
Is it the same for Colombia.

flyingfish

Quote from: filham on August 25, 2023, 10:22:36 AM25 years ago I had work in Peru for a month and had to change aircraft at Miami ,that was painful. The Americans were obsessed with drug traffic and although you were only in transit you had to go through the procedure of entering the States, there was a hour long queue and very rude customs officers to endure.
Is it the same for Colombia.

Yes it was the same when I flew to/from Colombia. Via Miami. A total PITA