watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimenez

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, September 17, 2023, 04:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

I feel we will struggle to score goals, with the current players we have, especially if we continue with this system of play that involves slow tedious build ups, with the boring habit of passing sideways backwards and dwelling on the ball, do you really want to pay extortionate money to watch that.

My Aunt Fanny can do that with her eyes shut, and at the moment there is nobody making angles and running off the ball and creating space often enough.

We looked to have a more solid defence than recent years although if i had to pick a team to save my life i would select Bassey over Ream.
So i say this as a great admirer of Ream over the years and he still has a part to play, but he seems a little slow &  light weight.
His stats may show how many successful passes he made, but like most stats they can be misleading as he passes 5 yards sideways and backwards non stop with no creativity.
As i said before my Aunt Fanny could do that and you wouldn't know the difference.
Bassey is far too good to sit on the bench.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

I am losing track of time with Fulham strikers but I would like to see a list of our strikers over say the last ten years, I bet there are not many outstanding ones. Mitro and Zamora, then I think we have to go back to McBride.
Suspect we have a good wait yet before the next one pops up.

HV71

I think it's interesting that the goal came from Willian getting to the byline and pulling it back . Surely we need more of this than the lofted ball in from the edge of the box ?

wback

My problem is Vini doesn't offer as much in general play. He makes 1-2 contributions a game, and doesn't really link things up. But, he does seem to have a knack for scoring. The issue with that is he's not Haaland, he's a 1 in 3 guy, so it means for two games out of three, you're not getting much.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: wback on September 18, 2023, 11:29:23 AMMy problem is Vini doesn't offer as much in general play. He makes 1-2 contributions a game, and doesn't really link things up. But, he does seem to have a knack for scoring. The issue with that is he's not Haaland, he's a 1 in 3 guy, so it means for two games out of three, you're not getting much.

We need a target man - and he is the best we have at the moment.

Lighthouse

We need to stop playing as if we still have a target striker. There is nothing wrong with Jimenez given the right service. But our wide players have hardly provided much for him to feed on. Wilson and Willian have not been great and one of the few dangerous crosses resulted in the goal.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WindyCity

I think way too early to be writing Jimenez off.  If he had connected for a goal on that bicycle attempt posters here would be singing his praise.  Still think he has far more potential than Vinicius.  It was a tough game, Luton parked the bus, not many chances for any of the lads to be fair.  Credit to Vinicius for being in the right place for the tap in, but I still think he lacks quite a bit of quality in his overall play.  Jimenez did score some goals past week for his country, I suspect he'll soon come good for FFC.

hovewhite

On supply feel Wilson hasn't started his season yet ,effort wise yes but little quality visible.
Vini should be starting in my opinion it took him less than 5 minutes also goal involvements 4 in his last 6 games,(3goals 1 assist)

Matt10

I think if our plan is to play a true target man, then we need more creativity from the 8, and that's Reed's spot. I've said it all transfer window that we should prioritize that over anything. Iwobi is key and it showed immediately. More of him in that spot will unlock our attacking threat much more.

RaySmith

I think Jimenez is real quality, lots of potential, and certainly has plenty of application - look how he tackles back and defends, puts himself on the line.

I think he will become a real Fulham favourite, and  start knocking the goals in, given the right supply.

Bassey the warrior

Jimenez would have scored if he'd had a chance as good as Vini. There's not much between the two but I still think Jimenez offers more overall. Neither is going to replace Mitro's output though, we must strengthen in January.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 18, 2023, 11:41:14 AM
Quote from: wback on September 18, 2023, 11:29:23 AMMy problem is Vini doesn't offer as much in general play. He makes 1-2 contributions a game, and doesn't really link things up. But, he does seem to have a knack for scoring. The issue with that is he's not Haaland, he's a 1 in 3 guy, so it means for two games out of three, you're not getting much.

He's not a target man, he wasn't great at holding the ball up or winning headers last year. Much better with the ball played into feet.

Woolly Mammoth

Have confidence in Jimenez, he has premier league qualities.
He needs a supply of ball to feet.
His work rate is good on and off the ball.
When he scores hopefully it will open the floodgates for more goals and give his confidence a boost as well.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

roberto w6

I could see him doing very well playing off a main striker. As others have said, I don't see him as a target man but probably more as an alternative to Pereira.

I'd like to see Andreas play more unexpected balls, switching play, opening up defences and adding to his goal tally. I see Jimenez as someone to challenge him in that role rather than play as a centre-forward.

We still seem to be playing a formation designed for a target man. I felt that has held us back at times in the past so I see Jimenez's arrival as the opportunity to freshen things up. I'm glad he's here.

Jim©

Quote from: Matt10 on September 18, 2023, 06:28:57 PMI think if our plan is to play a true target man, then we need more creativity from the 8, and that's Reed's spot. I've said it all transfer window that we should prioritize that over anything. Iwobi is key and it showed immediately. More of him in that spot will unlock our attacking threat much more.

I 100% agree with you. That position has been underwhelming for a long time despite all of Harrison's admirable huff and puff. Iwobi could turn into a brilliant signing for us. Luton genuinely didn't know how to cope with his movement when he came on.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: roberto w6 on September 19, 2023, 09:05:24 AMI could see him doing very well playing off a main striker. As others have said, I don't see him as a target man but probably more as an alternative to Pereira.

I'd like to see Andreas play more unexpected balls, switching play, opening up defences and adding to his goal tally. I see Jimenez as someone to challenge him in that role rather than play as a centre-forward.

We still seem to be playing a formation designed for a target man. I felt that has held us back at times in the past so I see Jimenez's arrival as the opportunity to freshen things up. I'm glad he's here.

We have a wealth of options at number 10 - Pereira, Cairney, Iwobi - so he won't be playing there.

MickTheBeard

Jimenez as people say plays behind a number 9,brings to mind the problem we will have if stanfield ever reaches premier league level he plays behind a number 9 or 2 upfront.He's played on the right wing for us.I feel playing with 2wingers either restricts our midfield or forward line depending which position we want to increase in numbers to put pressure on the opposition goal, especially when you look at harry Wilson's 90 minute contribution which means he goes missing we need to mix up more to not get overrun in midfield.

Chutney

Vinicius is the better player, so should be first choice.

It is clear that we need to invest in a starting striker asap.
C O Y W

wback

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 19, 2023, 07:13:01 AM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 18, 2023, 11:41:14 AM

He's not a target man, he wasn't great at holding the ball up or winning headers last year. Much better with the ball played into feet.

And perhaps this is true of Jimenez too - we used to be able to play a certain percentage of balls forward in the knowledge that Mitro would win and hold a lot (even if he wasn't the most mobile). Now we need to play to feet, and get up in support quicker. It's a change of tempo, and we've not made it yet (though I'd give it 5 more games - our start has been quite tough AND quite unsettled). All that said, I see our chances of being in any significant trouble this year being VERY low indeed. The bad teams are so bad.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: MickTheBeard on September 19, 2023, 11:33:44 AMJimenez as people say plays behind a number 9,brings to mind the problem we will have if stanfield ever reaches premier league level he plays behind a number 9 or 2 upfront.He's played on the right wing for us.I feel playing with 2wingers either restricts our midfield or forward line depending which position we want to increase in numbers to put pressure on the opposition goal, especially when you look at harry Wilson's 90 minute contribution which means he goes missing we need to mix up more to not get overrun in midfield.

Jimenez doesn't play behind a number 9, he is a number 9. Out of the last 50 games he has played 2 as an attacking midfielder.

https://www.footballcritic.com/raul-jimenez/player-positions/11796