watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 01/10/23...

Started by WhiteJC, October 01, 2023, 09:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss lauds bargain buy as Chelsea theory shot down with £250million admission
FULHAM vs CHELSEA: Marco Silva is looking to inflict more misery on Mauricio Pochettino's injury-ravaged Blues in Monday night's west London derby at Craven Cottage

Marco Silva says it's impossible to compare Fulham's squad with big-spending Chelsea but believes that in Bernd Leno, the Cottagers have one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League.

The German international has kept back-to-back clean sheets in the top-flight and now Silva is hoping to make it three on the bounce against Mauricio Pochettino's stuttering side.

Silva said ahead of Monday's west London derby: "I keep saying it but in my opinion Leno's one of the best three goalkeepers in the division. He proved that last season and he's going to keep proving it this season.

"His quality speaks for itself, we feel he's at a top, top level."

Leno cost Fulham an initial £3million in the summer of 2022 but the Cottagers also paid Arsenal an additional £2m in bonuses after securing Premier League safety last term. When asked where Leno ranks among Fulham's best signings since Silva's appointment in the summer of 2021, the Portuguese tactician showered his No.1 in further praise.

"He is one of the best, I'm 100 per cent sure," Silva added. "I keep repeating that he deserves much more credit for what he's been doing and our fans should really enjoy having a goalkeeper like him in our shirt.

"He's so, so easy to work with. Every time he comes through that gate it's with ambition, desire and he's always in a good mood to work."

Leno has proven to be a rare bargain during an era when transfer valuations have exploded to jaw-dropping heights. Chelsea's spending has now surpassed the £1billion mark under Todd Boehly and for that very reason, Silva strongly refuted suggestions his side could use their impressive squad depth to their advantage against their injury-ravaged opponents.

He said passionately: "I'll tell you something - Enzo Fernandez and Moises Caicedo have cost Chelsea nearly £250million. If I start to say more players, I will say probably £1billion in the past 12 months or so.

"It's impossible to compare our squads but in terms of the game - it's going to be 11 players versus 11 players.

"I'm 100 per cent sure we are going to give our all but you can't find an advantage for us. The only one you can say for me is that we are playing at home and that's a good one because we love to play at home."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-silva-lauds-bargain-buy-31067037

WhiteJC

Fulham: Cottagers keen on signing Premier League midfielder
This could significantly strengthen Marco Silva's side.

Fulham are interested in making a move for an established Premier League player currently at one of the biggest clubs in the country, according to a new update.

Will Fulham make signings in January?
The Cottagers impressed in the league last season after being promoted from the Championship, and they ended up finishing 10th in the table, which few predicted at the beginning of the campaign.

Marco Silva continues to do an excellent job as manager, and his team are sitting comfortably in midtable after six matches played in 2023/24 to date, winning, drawing and losing twice apiece. Next up is Monday's visit of Chelsea in a fiery London derby, as Fulham look to heap further misery on the Blues.

While Silva has assembled an impressive squad at Craven Cottage, there is also a clear need to make new signings in the January transfer window, or next summer at the very least, in order to keep progressing. A fresh update suggests that one individual is being looked at closely as an option.

Which Premier League player could Fulham sign?
According to Sky Sports News, Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay is high on Fulham's list of priority signings at the moment:

"Sky Sports News has been told Bayern will continue to monitor Palhinha's performances for Fulham throughout the Autumn and are expected to bid again once the window reopens on January 1. With more than three months remaining before then, Fulham have more time to line up his replacement and Manchester United's Scott McTominay is understood to remain high on their list.

"McTominay was thought to be reluctant to leave Old Trafford right up until the final moments of the summer window, when Sofyan Amrabat arrived on an initial loan from Fiorentina, but he may be more open to switching clubs in 2024.

"Tottenham's Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg was another top target for Fulham at the end of the window but another player who was not keen to move to Craven Cottage in the summer, believing there are bigger clubs out there for him if he is to leave Spurs in the not too distant future."

McTominay could be exactly what Fulham are looking for in January, should Joao Palhinha complete a move to Bayern Munich, possessing similar attributes to the current Cottagers favourite.

The Scot has found regular football increasingly hard to come by under Erik ten Hag at United, with the likes of Casemiro, Christian Eriksen, Mason Mount and Bruno Fernandes preferred to him in the middle of the park, and he could jump at the opportunity to be a regular elsewhere and kick on at a key point in his career.

McTominay is out of contract at Old Trafford in the summer of 2025, meaning United could be keen to cash in on him before his value starts diminishing, and his box-to-box energy would add a lot to the team.

While arguably known for his industry and all-round work ethic more than anything, the 26-year-old has also found his goalscoring boots in a Scotland shirt recently, scoring twice in a famous 2-0 win over Spain this year, and being hailed as "top class" by compatriot Ally McCoist.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-news-scott-mctominay-premier-league-transfer-news/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva believes Willian is nearing his best again after injury issues and a near summer move to Saudi Arabia

Chelsea have been warned about the threat of their former winger Willian
    Fulham boss Marco Silva believes his experienced star is nearing his best again
    Silva called Willian 'sharp' and insists he can bring Fulham 'extra quality'

Chelsea have been warned about the threat of their former winger Willian when they make the short trip to local rivals Fulham on Monday night.

The Brazil international, now 35, is showing glimpses of the form that made him a fan's favourite in seven years at Stamford Bridge, where he won two Premier League titles and the Europa League.

It is three years since he left for Arsenal and then Corinthians in his native Brazil. He is enjoying another unexpected chapter in the English top flight.

And Fulham manager Marco Silva believes his experienced star is nearing his best again after injury issues and a near summer move to Saudi Arabia.

'I am finally starting to see the same Willian again in the training sessions,' Silva said. 'So sharp, so good with that extra quality he can give us.

Chelsea have been warned about the threat of their former winger Willian (above)

It is three years since he left for Arsenal and then Corinthians in his native Brazil. He is enjoying another unexpected chapter in the English top flight

Fulham manager Marco Silva (above) believes his experienced star is nearing his best again after injury issues and a near summer move to Saudi Arabia

'Willian is a top player, he is a class player. He is a player that the way he creates moments for us and the way he can give that extra quality for us is so so important.

'It is up to me and him as well to keep himself fit, playing with a smile on his face like he is playing right now. This is one of the reasons I started with him last Wednesday.'

Willian has started the season slowly after a disruptive pre-season, playing just over 200 minutes across four games in July. In addition, injury issues and links to a move to Saudi Arabia may have been an unwelcome distraction ahead of a new season..

His performances have improved for Fulham in the last two games against Crystal Palace and Norwich, and his manager is still a huge fan.

Silva added: 'I played him last Wednesday against Norwich, because I really think he needs more games and needs more time. I know him really well. It was not the best pre-season for him.

'I know that last season he did not have a pre-season too because he arrived in the last days of August. This pre-season was not a normal one (for him) during the Summer Series, he had some problems in his Achilles and he was not at his best.

'When we have a player like him with the quality, and when you have him not at 100 per cent, he probably played the first games at 70 or 80 per cent of his best [potential]. It was a tough one against Everton when I took him off at half-time. The problem in the Achilles was there.'

Last season Willian scored five goals and made six assists in 27 league appearances for Fulham as Silva's side earned a top ten finish.

Last season Willian scored five goals and made six assists in 27 league appearances for Fulham

Without goal scorer Alexander Mitrovic this season, Willian will be relied upon to contribute similar numbers to keep them in the top half of the table.

Silva has no doubts about the winger's creativity in the final third, and had high praise for his performances off the ball too.

'Willian is not just a player on the ball for us. The two wingers, Bobby De Cordova-Reid and Willian, against Palace from a tactical point of view they were brilliant.

'It is a position where I demand really strong performances from our two wingers. It is not an easy position to play under me. To see Willian at his age to do what he did again against Palace, what he did off the ball in that game was brilliant.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12580677/Marco-Silva-believes-Willian-nearing-best-injury-issues-near-summer-Saudi-Arabia.html

WhiteJC

Willian is getting back to his best, says Silva
Marco Silva believes Fulham's Willian is getting back to his best after some scintillating displays in training in the run-up to tomorrow night's SW6 derby.

The Brazilian winger, who opened the scoring against his old club in Fulham's first win over Chelsea for seventeen years last season, has struggled for form and fitness since struggling with an achilles injury at the start of the season. The 34 year-old had also clearly been affected by interest from Saudi Arabian sides that saw his contract extension at Craven Cottage – after last term's sensational campaign – delayed.

Silva told Jack Kelly that he is seeing a sharper Willian in training and is confident that the Brazilian veteran will soon hit the heights that made him one of the signings of the season last year after arriving on a free transfer.

"I am finally starting to see the same Willian again in the training sessions. So sharp, so good with that extra quality he can give us. Willian is a top player, he is a class player. He is a player that the way he creates moments for us and the way he can give that extra quality for us is so so important.

It is up to me and him as well to keep himself fit, playing with a smile on his face like he is playing right now. This is one of the reasons I started with him last Wednesday, because I really think he needs more games and needs more time. I know him really well. It was not the best pre-season for him.

I know that last season he did not have a pre-season too because he arrived in the last days of August. This pre-season was not a normal one. During the Summer Series, he had some problems in his Achilles and he was not at his best. When we have a player like him with the quality, and when you have him not at 100 per cent, he probably played the first games at 70 or 80 per cent of his best. It was a tough one against Everton when I took him off at half-time. The problem in the Achilles was there."

Silva highlighted just how important Willian remains to his tactical plans – because of his work ethic and defensive contributions.

"Willian is not just a player on the ball for us. The two wingers, Bobby De Cordova-Reid and Willian, against Palace from a tactical point of view they were brilliant. It is a position where I demand really strong performances from our two wingers. It is not an easy position to play under me. To see Willian at his age to do what he did again against Palace, what he did off the ball in that game was brilliant."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/willian-is-getting-back-to-his-best-says-silva/

WhiteJC

What Fulham need to do to come out on top against Chelsea

Jack Stroudley assesses our second West London derby of the season.

It's the big one on Monday night as Fulham welcome Chelsea to Craven Cottage under the lights. While some fans have been uninspired by Fulham this season, I think we've made a good start. Eight points from the opening six games, which included trips to Arsenal & Manchester City as well as three clean sheets, is nothing to be sniffed at. We've started well and built a solid gap away from those relegation places.

We welcome a Chelsea side on Monday who're really struggling at the moment and with a large injury list and a few suspensions, they will come to Craven Cottage with a weakened side. Last season was our first win over the Blues since 2006, but can Fulham emulate that kind of performance again to earn bragging rights for another few months?

The opposition
Chelsea would've come into this season with confidence after making many summer signings and bringing in experienced manager Mauricio Pochettino but it's not worked out for them with just one Premier League win this season, they currently sit in 14th place. While funny, I don't think their league position truly reflects the performances put in. Chelsea have controlled possession for the majority of games played this season and have created a fair few chances but have been unlucky in the final third.

They're also in a bit of an injury crisis at the moment with nine first team players out injured, Carney Chukwumenka is the most likely to return on Monday night having returned to training this week. Ben Chilwell is a new injury concern and Chelsea will also be without Nicolas Jackson and Malo Gusto who are both suspended for this game.

How do we prepare?
This is a good opportunity for Fulham to continue to extend their gap on the bottom three, here's how I'd line-up.

I'd make three changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Crystal Palace last weekend with Kenny Tete, Harry Wilson and Carlos Vinicius coming in for Timothy Castagne, Bobby De Cordova-Reid and Raul Jimenez.

The first change is dependant upon fitness. I think that if Tete is fully fit he has to start; he was excellent against Chelsea last season and for me is the best full-back at the club. Castagne has been good in the last few games but if available, the Dutchman has to start.

Fulham have struggled in-front of goal as of late with just one goal in the last two league games, Wilson and Vinicius would come in for me with the hopes of changing our fortunes. The Welsh winger's technical ability is something that Fulham could exploit and given that Vinicius has scored two goals in his last three appearances, he has to start over Jimemez.

Alex Iwobi is somebody who is knocking on the door for a Premier League start but for now I'd stick with Andreas Pereira given the Brazilian's ability from dead-ball situations. Finally, Sasa Lukic will be involved in the squad on Monday, but I think that Harrison Reed deserves to keep his place as his pressing and intensity should get at a dysfunctional Chelsea midfield.

The final verdict
I don't expect the same game from Chelsea that we saw last January at the Cottage. While their league position doesn't suggest it, they're not as bad as everyone has made out and will cause us issues. Our lack of firepower is a cause for concern but Marco Silva will know the importance of the game to Fulham fans and will hopefully force players to rise to the occasion. I'm going with a draw.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-10-01-what-fulham-need-to-do-to-come-out-on-top-against-chelsea/

WhiteJC

Tottenham eye cut-price move to sign Tosin Adarabioyo in January
Tottenham Hotspur are eyeing a move for Fulham star Tosin Adarabioyo as Ange Postecoglou looks to reinforce his defensive options this winter, according to Football Insider.

The report claims that the North Londoners wanted to add another defender to their squad during the closing stages of the summer window but the right opportunity did not arise.

Spurs brought in two centre-backs in the summer following the arrival of Micky van de Ven and Ashley Phillips, however, the latter is seen as a long-term project and not considered a first-team player at the moment.

Van de Ven has made an impressive start to life at Tottenham with the 22-year-old forming a strong partnership with Argentina international and World Cup winner Cristian Romero.

Phillips is yet to feature for Tottenham's first team this season but has already made two appearances for the Tottenham U21 side hence Postecoglou is keen on signing a more experienced centre-back who can compete for a first-team spot.

Tottenham sold Davinson Sanchez to Galatasaray in the summer while long-serving defender Eric Dier could be allowed to leave the club in January and this could create space for the signing of another centre-back.

Tosin Adarabioyo eyed
According to Football Insider, Tottenham could renew their interest in signing Tosin Adarabioyo in January after being strongly linked with the Fulham star in the summer.

The 6ft 4in ace will have just six months left on his contract this winter and has shown no sign of penning an extension so Fulham may have no option but to cash in and sell on the cheap in January.

The 25-year-old has made just one appearance for Marco Silva's side this campaign which came in their 2-2 draw at Arsenal. He has since been out of the squad due to injury and bad blood with his manager after trying to force a move away from the club.

Adarabioyo was made to train away from the first team and was frozen out of the Fulham squad. He was ever-present for the London-based side last season as he made 29 appearances and scored once across all competitions.

Adarabioyo is valued at £14m by Transfermarkt but Tottenham would hope to snap him up in a cut-price deal. He would be a good addition to Postecoglou's squad if they could wrap up a deal in January.

https://football-talk.co.uk/193250/tottenham-eye-cut-price-move-to-sign-tosin-adarabioyo-in-january/

WhiteJC

Chelsea expected to unleash 22-year-old in Jackson's absence against Fulham on Monday
Chelsea have made a choice on who they will be selecting up top to replace the suspended Nicolas Jackson this Monday, according to reports.

Jackson was hit with a suspension after swiftly accumulating five yellow cards in the Premier League and will miss Monday night's clash against local neighbours Fulham.

Chelsea do have other striker options with new man Deivid Washington who has yet to make a senior appearance for the club, and Armando Broja who is slowly being bedded back in after a long-term injury.

None of those options are ideal for the above reasons. Mauricio Pochettino could also chose to put Raheem Sterling or Cole Palmer up there playing as a false 9, with both players having played in that position before.

However, according to The Daily Mirror, Chelsea are expected to unleash the returning Armando Broja on Monday at Fulham.

It would be a risky move to start him from the off in my opinion.

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2023/10/chelsea-expected-to-unleash-22-year-old-in-jacksons-absence-against-fulham-on-monday/