https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 30/11/23...

Started by WhiteJC, November 29, 2023, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chelsea 'prepared to snub' Fulham interest in Armando Broja — report
No deal

The rumor mill is starting to get a bit louder as we inch closer to January, with the wheels of speculation and clickbait grinding against each other to create fine morself of content for the starved masses to consume. Don't worry, there's plenty to go around for all.

One such story is the supposed interest from friendly neighbors Fulham in our very own Armando Broja, who has returned from his major knee injury but has only served as backup to Nicolas Jackson at center forward. And with the impending return of Christopher Nkunku and, more importantly, with Chelsea expected to make a play for a new striker in January, Broja's opportunities could be even more limited in the second half of the season.

Like Chelsea, Fulham, the fourth lowest scoring team in the league, are also set to look for January reinforcements in that department — their leading goalscorer in the league is our old friend Willian, with three, one more than the combined total of Raúl Jiménez and Carlos Vinícius — and apparently "identified" Broja as a candidate.

But according to the Evening Standard, we will "snub" any such interest, with Broja himself not looking to leave at all. In fact, he wants to prove himself in Chelsea Blue, as it is meant to be.

"A lot of players would get frustrated with a lack of minutes, but for me, I know I've come back from a big injury. I need to prove myself again to the manager, staff, club, and fans. I'm blessed to be in the position I'm in."

-Armando Broja; source: Secret Scout via Evening Standard

Good. (Though a half-season loan may not be the worst thing if we do sign someone?)

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2023/11/29/23980591/chelsea-prepared-to-snub-fulham-interest-in-armando-broja-report

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney singles out 27-year-old Fulham man for praise after Wolves win
Fulham club captain Tom Cairney has hailed the performance of defender Timothy Castagne after their important win over Wolves on Monday evening.

Cairney was speaking immediately after the game to The Fulham Fix and reflecting on a 3-2 victory at Craven Cottage.

It's hard to understate just how big that win could be for Fulham going forward as they enter the busiest period of the season.

The results were not up to scratch before the international break and left Marco Silva's side looking over their shoulder.

Scoring goals has become a real issue and once again Raul Jimenez struggled while Carlos Vinicius once again did his level best to get sent off after coming off the bench.

After getting away with fouls on Thiago Silva and Auston Trusty already this season, he could have easily been shown a red card for headbutting Max Kilman.

Thankfully, Fulham were bailed out by a brilliant Alex Iwobi goal and two ice-cold penalties from Willian.

Tom Cairney was another player who starred against Wolves and he admitted he was impressed with full-back Timothy Castagne on Monday.

The 27-year-old has deputised for Kenny Tete after his summer move from Leicester City and has been one of the bright spots in a team that has really struggled recently.

With Tete now back on the bench, Silva has a big decision to make when the Whites head to Liverpool on Sunday.

Cairney enjoyed Castagne performance vs Wolves
Asked about the Belgian international, Cairney said: "Yeah he did and in his own six-yard box a few tackles and he was good in the air.

"I feel like everyone to a man tonight put in a really big performance. Aggressive, we had chances, we had shots, crosses, it was a great game as a neutral!"

Tom Cairney and Timothy Castagne have to be confident that they'll keep their places in the side after their displays against Wolves.

There's no reason to rush Tete back into action after his latest injury with Castagne playing this well.

Meanwhile, Tom Cairney looked at his silky best in the middle of the park and gave Fulham a level of control that they've lacked for much of this season.

With Joao Palhinha ready to return, it will likely be Harrison Reed who drops out of the side.

The special one Iniesta looks more comfortable in a more advanced position, leaving the Portuguese free to slot straight back into the side in his favoured destructive role.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/11/29/tom-cairney-singles-out-27-year-old-fulham-man-for-praise-after-wolves-win/

WhiteJC

Referee for Liverpool v Fulham branded "joke" who can't wait to be involved
This isn't going to go down well with Jurgen Klopp.

Liverpool host Fulham in their next Premier League game this weekend, but the referee appointment has the potential to go down badly with Jurgen Klopp and Reds fans.

Liverpool's Premier League title hopes
The Reds continued their good start to the season last Saturday, coming from behind away to reigning champions Manchester City to seal a 1-1 draw at the Etihad, thanks to Trent Alexander-Arnold's brilliant strike late in the day. It means that Klopp's men are still just one point behind Pep Guardiola's team heading into December - Arsenal currently lead the way and are three ahead of Liverpool - with a thrilling title race looking more likely by the week.

The Reds have made giant strides after last season's woes, with a rebuilt midfield completely transforming the team since August, and it is now a case of finding even more consistency in the coming months, particularly away from home. Liverpool's next league game sees them host Fulham on Sunday afternoon - they are at home to LASK in the Europa League on Thursday evening - in what represents a must-win game for the Merseysiders in the title battle.

Now, the officials have been announced for the match, and with referees and VAR such a hot topic of conversation in football at the moment, any appointment has the potential to cause controversy.

Stuart Attwell to referee Liverpool v Fulham
On Tuesday, it was confirmed by This Is Anfield that Stuart Attwell will referee Liverpool's home clash with Fulham on Sunday, with Paul Tierney on VAR duty at Anfield.

The report points out that Attwell was at the "centre of controversy on Monday night" in the Cottagers' 3-2 win at home to Wolves, awarding them two penalties while in charge of VAR. Meanwhile, Tierney has plenty of history with Klopp, with the Liverpool manager making no secret of the fact that he doesn't rate him as a referee.

He harshly sent-off Alexis Mac Allister against Brighton earlier in the campaign - a decision that was later reversed after an appeal - and a string of poor decisions have happened in the past, even leading Reds supporters to direct a chant in his direction when he officiated the 3-0 win over Brentford earlier this month.

TalkSPORT journalist Alex Crook took to X after the Fulham-Wolves game on Monday night to share his thoughts on Attwell, describing him as "an absolute joke", adding that he "could not wait to get involved" all evening long.

There is no question that Attwell and Tierney's appointments are going to cause frustration among Liverpool fans, especially the latter, whose performance in charge of Reds matches have been questionable at best in recent times.

It should be pointed out that referees are human beings who are trying to do a difficult job, but there have been unacceptable mistakes on show that have cost Klopp's side, and if Attwell and Tierney go against Liverpool once more this weekend, the Reds boss will find it extremely difficult to bite his tongue.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league-referee-liverpool-fulham-joke-who-cant-wait-to-get-involved-talksport-var/

WhiteJC

Fulham star Joao Palhinha admits he's not sure if Bayern Munich interest will return in January
Fulham superstar Joao Palhinha has been reflecting on the interest from Bayern Munich in the summer transfer window and whether a move is likely to happen in the future.

Palhinha was speaking on The Fulham Fix Podcast and addressed a number of topics.

The Portuguese international revealed that he could have made the move to Craven Cottage at a much younger age.

He admits he was approached by Fulham for a trial when he was 17 but ended up choosing to stay at Sporting CP instead.

It's a decision he's probably glad he made considering where he is in his career right now.

Ever since his move last summer, Palhinha has established himself as one of the club's most important players and one of the Premier League's most impressive midfielders.

Palhinha's performances last year encouraged Bayern Munich to make a move for him right at the end of the transfer window.

He was in Germany ready to make the switch but a replacement couldn't be found in time before the transfer window shut.

The 28-year-old has now spoken about the experience and shared whether he could still make the move in the future.

Every Fulham supporter will hope he can resist the move to the German giants, but few would begrudge him for taking the step up to one of Europe's biggest clubs.

Palhinha discusses failed Bayern Munich transfer
Asked about the end of the summer window, Palhinha said: "I feel I'm content because I'm playing. I'm playing, I'm doing my job, I'm focused here.

"I had the opportunity a couple of months ago when this happened, it's something that nobody can point the figure to me and say that you don't respect, it never happened because I always did my work here.

"I respect everyone, the staff, my teammates, my history with the club because I don't want to screw up what I've built here. They've given me a lot of effort.

"But I can't lie, of course, it's the opportunity of my life that happened. For me, if something like Bayern happens in your life, you can't think of anything else.

"In football, we are always fighting to achieve. For me, I grew up to dream of this kind of opportunity. I don't know if it's going to happen again or not.

"I just want to make my job like I've been doing, keep improving because I know I have much more to improve and what needs to happen, it's going to happen.

"I don't like to think about the past because life has showed me that everything in my life has happened for some reason."

Talk of a transfer for Palhinha to Bayern in January is already being discussed and the club need to be prepared in case they receive an offer they can't refuse.

The main problem in the summer is Fulham didn't seem ready for the interest shown in one of their best players.

They failed to replace Aleksandar Mitrovic properly and are suffering as a result.

If they make the same mistake with Palhinha then Marco Silva's side will be in serious trouble.

However, it's encouraging to hear Palhinha still wants to protect his Fulham legacy and he genuinely sounds like he cares for the club.

Anyone who has watched him this season certainly can't question his commitment to the cause.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/11/29/fulham-star-joao-palhinha-admits-hes-not-sure-if-bayern-munich-interest-will-return-in-january/

WhiteJC

Has the Riverside Stand caused more harm than good?

Josh Hallmark looks at the ongoing saga of the Riverside Stand and it's impact on fans and the local area.

Fulham fans were promised a new £80 million stand in 2021. Two years on and the stand still isn't complete. The delays caused by difficult site conditions, disruptions from covid, and the contractors, Buckingham Group, going bust has meant that it's now anticipated to open in 2024. But even without the delay, it has still caused some issues with the local community, and Fulham fans. Before construction even began, locals opposed the project culminating in a campaign to save trees that would need to be cut to make the site accessible. Since then, controversy has only grown.

Our future at Craven Cottage has not always been certain. The new stand shows positive signs of securing this. But is the construction of the Riverside Stand creating more negatives than positives, and are the Khans taking the right approach to solve the problems they face?

Unwelcome side effects

The most noticeable impact of the new stand has been an increase in ticket prices. Based on the success of last season, by getting a record number of wins in the Premier League, alongside the fresh 8,650-seater stand, the cost of a ticket in the Riverside has driven up by almost 100%. During the 2018/19 season, the prices ranged from £45 to £55 yet, even against Wolves this season, the ticket can cost up to £105. Overall, this season there has been an 18% rise in ticket prices with even the smaller games being less accessible. The 60% (£100 to £160) rise in the price of tickets to our home fixture against Manchester United this season was the final straw, evidenced by the FST's recent protest.

Those who previously sat in the Riverside stand have suffered the most, having been forced out of their seats with the promise of returning to a new and improved stand, but many have found it unaffordable to return. The FST has said the overall price rise has caused "distress, anxiety, anger and disillusionment." While Kahn justifies this by claiming this will boost the budget to better succeed in the transfer market, the impact on it will most likely be negligible.

Atmospheric issues

A biproduct of having a fancy new addition to the ground is tourists – and by this I mean day-trippers with no interest in the club itself, but who just want to watch a Premier League game. This creates division between Fulham fans and nullifies the feeling of togetherness. With more tourists, the atmosphere worsens. The atmosphere plays an important role in the team's success as getting behind the team encourages them to fight. The bottom line is tourists prevent an exciting atmosphere developing, which will reflect in the team's performance. A counter point is the fact that the new stand has filled the riverside gaps between the Hammersmith End and the Putney End, which will improve atmosphere as, previously, sound was easily dissipated towards the river.

Pier pressure

An issue among the local community is the construction of Fulham Pier. This hasn't gone down well with many sailing clubs, youth clubs and schools. A petition was launched in 2022 that reached 17,184 signatures as they believe it will be unsafe for rowing clubs to pass through a smaller channel while large ferries will be coming through simultaneously. The most noticeable impact is on the annual boat race as it could cause a major disruption to its route. The club has been encouraged by the results of a survey taken in the local area, which showed that 80% were in favour of the pier, so, regardless of all the backlash, the plans are still to go ahead. As this is the case, this will forever be an unresolved issue, leaving many members of the community angry which should be of concern for the Khans. They have to ask themselves if it's worth it. 

More than football

Although the locals are irritated, the stand will go beyond just football, and cater to them. The redevelopment is expected to provide a wide variety of hospitality services and become a leisure destination. These include restaurants, cafés, bars, corporate hospitality, an event space from the ground floor to fourth floor and even a rooftop pool. In addition, nine serviced apartments will be introduced and a river walk will be accessible to the public. It is anticipated to deliver a wide range of benefits to the public alongside those who want to enjoy football.

It's clear that the new Riverside stand has brought about various challenges, both with the community and fans. Balancing economic benefits with the differing interests of stakeholders is no easy task and something Shahid Khan needs to achieve in order for the construction of this state-of-the-art stand to be considered a success. Regardless of all the issues it has already caused, Khan has done well to maintain the iconic charm of Craven Cottage; something we all love about this club. Crucially, the resolution of pressing issues such as ticket prices holds the key to unlocking the full potential of The Riverside and if resolved, The Riverside could live up to expectations and, in the end, it will be a positive addition to this historic ground.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-11-29-has-the-riverside-stand-caused-more-harm-than-good/

WhiteJC

Fulham and Nottingham Forest hovering for signing – €15m looks like potential bargain and easy to achieve
Fulham and Nottingham Forest are both in the background eyeing a deal for Bologna's Lewis Ferguson, who can be secured for a potential bargain price of €15m.

That's according to Tuttosport, who cover how the Premier League duo may be competition for Juventus, who are also considering a move for the midfielder.

The newspaper explains that Juventus eyes have been turned to Ferguson as they look to add a midfielder to their squad, and he continues to impress in Serie A, with three goals this season following seven in his first season last year.

His performances have been key to Bologna sitting fifth in the table and just three points from a Champions League place, something which would make it difficult to sell in January.

That doesn't mean there aren't interested parties, though, and while Juventus are now in the mix Fulham and Nottingham Forest 'have liked Ferguson for some time' while AC Milan are also keeping an eye on him.

Juventus have 'shown the most decisive signs' towards him at this point as they have a relationship with his agents, who also represent Federico Gatti.

They've been getting him signed to a new deal and in that process tested the waters for Ferguson, before sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli went to scout him in person.

He scored the winning goal in that game and that's caused the Bianconeri to press, particularly as his asking price of €15m is half of what they would need to spend on other targets.

That's also a figure Fulham and Nottingham Forest could easily afford as well and they want to start moving themselves if their interest is as firm and longstanding as Tuttosport suggest it is.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-nottingham-forest-hovering-signing-e15m-looks-like-potential-bargain-easy-achieve/

WhiteJC

Fulham fight Forest for Ferguson
Fulham and Nottingham Forest are poised to do battle for Bologna midfielder Lewis Ferguson, according to reports from Italy this morning.

The Scottish midfielder has enjoyed a whirlwind eighteen months in Serie A and the consistency of his performances this season have seen him linked to the likes of Juventus and Lazio. While the Italian giants are considering other targets in mind for their January acquisitions, Tuttosport claims that Fulham and Forest are prepared to make firm offers for Ferguson ahead of the transfer window reopening next month.

Ferguson, who has won ten senior caps for his country, has three league goals to his name this term after hitting the net seven times for Bologna last term as Thiago Motta's side have continued their impressive progress to sit fifth in the table only three points off the Champions' League places. Tuttosport suggest that the Hamilton-born attacking midfielder, who has been watched by Fulham's scouts since the start of the season, would be available for around £13m.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/11/fulham-fight-forest-for-ferguson/

WhiteJC

Fulham won't sell Palhinha on the cheap
Fulham won't sell Joao Palhinha on the cheap in January to Bayern Munich or anyone else, according to Teamtalk.

The latest story scotches reports in the German press that the Whites were countenancing selling the Portuguese international for less than the fee agreed between the two clubs back in September, before Palhinha's dream move was scuppered by the transfer deadline. Fulham are in a stronger position when the transfer window reopens next month as both their star midfielder and head coach Marco Silva have signed new contracts within the last two months.

The 28 year-old is now under contract at Craven Cottage until at the least the summer of 2028 and, although he missed Monday night's late victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers through suspension, has firmly established himself as one of the Premier League's most consistent defensive midfielders. Palhinha, who leads the top flight's list of tacklers for a second successive season, is understood to be happy working under Silva and will not be agitating for a move in January.

The Teamtalk story also includes a snippet about Fulham's pursuit of Brazilian international Andre. Chief executive Alistair Mackintosh flew to Brazil earlier this month to as negotiations between Fulham and Fluminense intensified following Fluzão's Copa Libertadores triumph and the Londoners are confident of signing the 22 year-old in January.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/11/fulham-wont-sell-palhinha-on-the-cheap/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Fulham force Bayern to pay up for key star Palhinha, with progress made on replacement signing
Fulham are not intending to sell on the cheap if Bayern Munich push to sign Joao Palhinha again in January, TEAMtalk can reveal.

Reports out of Germany have suggested the Londoners are open to selling Palhinha for less than the £57million fee that had been agreed between the two clubs in August, before the deal collapsed in the final hours of the window.

Yet sources have confirmed to TEAMtalk that such speculation is "PR talk" from the Munich side of the deal and that Fulham would see no sense in selling him below the value previously discussed.

Palhinha signed a new contract in September, tying him to the club until 2028, and his performance levels at Fulham have continued to be of a high standard.

Bayern want fans to know that they have not given up on signing the Portuguese midfield star but they have other considerations for the January window too and are not prepared to go on a mega-spend.

They know the player remains interested in joining them – and Fulham realise he will eventually move on, too – but the terms around such a deal are going to have to be right and striking an agreement early in the new year will not be straight forward.

Time will tell whether Bayern are going to show serious intent to sign him in January, but in the meantime Fulham are confident they are close to signing a midfielder that will help ease the transition from Palhinha, whenever he ends up leaving.

Fulham close in on Andre deal
Sources have confirmed to TEAMtalk that a deal for Fluminense's Andre is well progressed and the Whites are now hoping there is no late twist in the plot.

Andre was part of the Fluminense side that beat Boca Juniors in the Copa Libertadores final and he will also be taking part in the Club World Cup in December, when he will be putting himself in the shop window for the Brazilians one final time.

Arsenal and Liverpool are among clubs to have had an eye on Andre and Fulham hope they avoid a hijack. The Reds reportedly ruled themselves out of the race for Andre, instead prioritising signing central defender Goncalo Inacio of Sporting.

Jurgen Klopp had been keen on bolstering his defence in the summer window before the exits of Fabinho and Jordan Henderson forced his side to refocus on rebuilding the midfield instead.

Inacio's contract runs until 2027 and includes a £52.4million exit clause and the Portuguese club have gone on record to confirm that this price will need to be met should any club wish to prise the defender away. As a result Liverpool will need to focus all their efforts on getting that deal over the line, leaving the door open for Fulham to sign Andre.

https://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/exclusive-fulham-force-bayern-pay-up-palhinha-progress-made-replacement-signing-andre

WhiteJC

Is Fulham midfielder João Palhinha waffling over the Bayern Munich links?
He'll still come soon, don't worry

João Palhinha is still waiting for Bayern Munich to come and rescue him from Craven Cottage after Fulham FC were slow to act on deadline day which called off the transfer. Since then, in typical "I'm totally focused on my current situation" fashion, the 28-year-old acted diplomatic but still dreams of the day that he can finally go to Germany.

"I feel I'm content because I'm playing. I'm playing, I'm doing my job, I'm focused here," Palhinha said (Fulham Fix Podcast via @iMiaSanMia). "I had the opportunity a couple of months ago when this happened, but it's something that nobody can point the finger at me and say that you don't respect. I always did my work here."

The Portuguese midfielder even went as far as to say that "if something like Bayern happens in your life, you can't think of anything else." He thinks of that as a reward for his hard work. As for the eventual move to Munich? Well, he said that "what needs to happen, it's going to happen. I don't like to think about the past because life has showed me that everything in my life has happened for some reason."

Can't wait to see Palhinha don Bayern red soon.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2023/11/29/23980797/is-fulham-midfielder-joao-palhinha-waffling-over-the-bayern-munich-links-premier-league-bundesliga

WhiteJC

Liverpool vs Fulham preview: team news, kick-off, referee & TV
Liverpool host Fulham at Anfield in the Premier League on Sunday. Here's everything you need to know going into it.

Liverpool will attempt to keep up the pressure in the Premier League this weekend as they take on Fulham. If results go their way, they could even end the weekend at the top of the pile.

The Reds are attempting to build on a positive result last weekend that saw them take a point from Manchester City at the Etihad. It's long been a terrible ground for Liverpool - getting a result was something of a statement for the season.

Of course, that only really counts for anything if they continue in good form. Fulham are next - and here's everything you need to know about that one.

DATE, KICK-OFF, STADIUM, REFEREE and VAR

Date: Sunday, 3 December 2023
    Kick-off time: 14:00 GMT / 09:00 ET / 06:00 PT
    Stadium: Anfield
    Referee: Stuart Atwell
    VAR: Paul Tierney

Liverpool vs Fulham head-to-head record
Liverpool and Fulham have met 73 times in their respective histories, dating back to an FA Cup tie in 1911. As you'd expect, the Reds boast a far superior record here.

They've won 42 of the fixtures, with Fulham winning just 13 times. That record is even more dominant at Anfield - the Cottagers have only ever won there twice.

In the Premier League era, it's a similar story. In 32 meetings, Liverpool have won 19, losing only seven. Fulham don't even average a goal per game in the Premier League fixtures, in fact, while the Reds fall just shy of averaging two.

Last season, though, saw a fairly balanced couple of fixtures. The two teams drew 2-2 at Fulham on the opening day before Liverpool picked up a narrow 1-0 win at Anfield in May.

All in all, history tells us that Fulham are massive underdogs here but not without a chance.

Where to watch Liverpool vs Fulham on TV
This one isn't on TV in the UK - Sky Sports haven't selected it for their Sunday fixtures. You'll need alternative means of keeping up with things.

In the US, NBC have the Premier League rights - including their streaming service, Peacock.

Canadians have FUBO, who show every Premier League game this season.

Broadcasters such as DAZN and Viaplay have the rights across various European countries.

Liverpool team news
Things are about to get busy for Liverpool, of course. The December fixture list is here - and the Reds will play Sheffield United in the Premier League just three days after this one.

Andy Robertson is out, of course, while there's little suggestion that Thiago or Stefan Bajcetic will be fit for Sunday. And now Alisson and Diogo Jota have joined them all on the injury list.

Jurgen Klopp confirmed this week that Jota will be out for a little while now, while also making it clear that Alisson will miss the LASK Europa League fixture as well as Fulham at home.

He'll be crossing his fingers that everyone can survive the European test unscathed.

Fulham team news
The big one for Fulham is that Joao Palinha will be back from suspension - he missed Monday's meeting with Wolves. Other than that, Marco Silva does have more than his fair share of injuries to contend with.

Tyrese Francois, Rodrigo Muniz and Issa Diop have all been out, though Diop did return to individual training ahead of Wolves. Adama Traore has had a setback, however, and could be out for the foreseeable future.

https://anfieldwatch.co.uk/liverpool-vs-fulham-preview-team-news-kick-off-referee-tv/

WhiteJC

Bassey wants to build on Wolves win
Calvin Bassey wants to build on Fulham's win over Wolverhampton Wanderers by 'putting smiles on the faces' of the Fulham faithful at Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.

The Nigerian international described the 3-2 win over Wolves at Craven Cottage on Monday night as an important result for Marco Silva's side – even if the late drama made the contest quite a challenging one to play. Bassey, making his fifth consecutive Premier League start, told Fulham's official website this afternoon:

"It was a game people would have liked to watch, but playing in it is not as exciting. It was good to see us score three goals and there was a bit of drama at the end, but thank God we got the win! We tried to see out the game as best we could. Everyone was just on the same wavelength. We know we like to play football from the back but I thought we done well. We showed a different side to our game, the more fighting spirit, winning duels and the nasty side of the game – we showed that well.

I feel like in the last few games – like the United game and some games before that – I just felt like we haven't got what we deserved. We've all been working so hard and we're missing something, but we seemed to get it back on Monday so hopefully we can build on that."

Bassey insists that Liverpool's injury crisis, which will see Jurgen Klopp's side without first-choice goalkeeper Alisson and Diego Jota, will not change the magnitude of Fulham's task this weekend but says the squad will travel to Anfield confident they can get a result.

"Everybody knows the quality they have. It is going to be hard, it's going to be difficult, we're going to have to suffer but I think we have more than enough quality. We know they are a top side, for us it is just about making sure we prepare well and prepare right and make sure we come out and give 110%."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/11/bassey-wants-to-build-on-wolves-win/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney shares what Fulham boss Marco Silva said to the squad ahead of vital Wolves victory
Fulham captain Tom Cairney has shared what manager Marco Silva told the squad before their victory over Wolves on Monday evening.

Cairney was speaking to The Fulham Fix immediately after a vital 3-2 victory at Craven Cottage.

The 32-year-old was sensational as he returned to the starting line-up partly as a result of Joao Palhinha's suspension.

Harrison Reed dropped into the deepest midfield role, while Alex Iwobi was switched to the wing to accommodate Cairney in the playmaker role alongside Andreas Pereira.

Fulham went into the match as one of the most out-of-form teams in the Premier League.

Their defeat to Aston Villa before the international break was worrying, to say the least with Unai Emery's surprising Champions League contenders running the show.

Cairney has now shared the message Marco Silva shared with the team ahead of their clash against Wolves.

A defeat would have seen Fulham well and truly dragged into the relegation conversation.

However, Fulham's win now means they're 10 points clear of the bottom three, although a wounded Everton are unlikely to stay in the relegation zone for long.

Cairney shares Silva message ahead of Wolves clash
Asked what the Portuguese manager said to the squad before the match, Cairney said: "He told us to relax obviously and don't worry about it. He said if you win tonight you go one point behind tenth.

"So, he said that's how tight it is and how competitive it is this season. But at the same time, we haven't enjoyed the international break because of our previous month.

"So, you could tell there was a hunger in the team and the squad to get a result tonight."

His message worked initially, with Fulham taking the lead within the first 10 minutes through Alex Iwobi.

It was a well-worked move between the Nigerian international, Antonee Robinson and Willian although Fulham's performance dropped off approaching half-time.

Silva would have likely emphasized the same message to Cairney and co at the break after Wolves equalised through Matheus Cunha.

The second half was much more positive which is a trend we've seen all too often from Fulham.

It was a pair of contentious penalties that ultimately decided the game with Willian expertly converting both.

The Brazilian now has one of the best penalty records in Premier League history, with only three players boasting a better 100% record.

After the woes of watching Aleksandar Mitrovic break the record for the most penalties missed last season, it's a welcome relief that Fulham now have someone more reliable from the spot.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/11/29/tom-cairney-shares-what-fulham-boss-marco-silva-said-to-the-squad-ahead-of-vital-wolves-victory/

WhiteJC

Fulham, Nottingham Forest keen on Bologna's Lewis Ferguson
Fulham and Nottingham Forest are reportedly interested in signing Bologna midfielder Lewis Ferguson.

The 24-year-old has made a significant impression since joining the Italian club from Aberdeen in the summer of 2022.

Ferguson made 32 Serie A appearances during his first season in Italy, chipping in with seven goals to help his side achieve a top-half finish.

The Scotsman has continued to be a regular feature in Thiago Motta's side this season, having started all 13 league games, registering three goals and three assists.

Having made a name for himself with the Serie A side, Ferguson is now attracting interest from a number of clubs ahead of the January transfer window.

According to Italian outlet Tuttosport, Fulham and Nottingham Forest are both keeping tabs on the Scotland international.

The report suggests the two Premier League clubs have been long-term admirers of Ferguson and are continuing to monitor his situation.

However, should either of the two clubs opt to pursue a move, they could face significant competition from Italian giants Juventus.

There is a belief that the record Serie A winners are leading the race to secure Ferguson's signature in the January window.

Juventus are keen to bring in midfield reinforcements, with Nicolo Fagioli serving a seventh-month gambling ban, while Paul Pogba is awaiting his punishment for a doping violation.

Ferguson seemingly caught Juventus' attention when he found the net in Bologna's 1-1 draw against Massimiliano Allegri's side in August.

Juventus sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli was reportedly in attendance to see Ferguson score the winner in a 1-0 victory over Lazio earlier this month.

Although Ferguson is under contract until at least June 2027, there is a belief that Juventus could strike a deal for around €15m (£13m).

However, Bologna are reluctant to sanction a sale in the middle of the season, especially as the sixth-placed side are currently in the hunt for European football.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-nottingham-forest-keen-on-bolognas-lewis-ferguson_530144.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Six Premier League clubs including Fulham, Everton, Crystal Palace want exciting Super Eagles hopeful
The Arsenal academy product has rediscovered his knack for scoring goals, making it back into the transfer plans of some of England's elite clubs

Ajax Amsterdam forward Cbuba Akpom could be on the verge of an instant return to England in the winter, Soccernet.ng reports.

Akpom only left Middlesbrough in the summer to sign for Ajax in a deal worth close to 13 million euros.

However, the former PAOK Salonika had difficulty settling in Amsterdam and was often left out of the Ajax team by former manager Maurice Steijn.

And just when Akpom was about to be tagged a flop, Ajax brought in John van 't Schip as the club's new head coach, and Akpom has soared to new heights since.

The former Arsenal kid has fired five goals in his last five games, with Ajax winning three of the four games the 28-year-old striker has scored in.

Akpom's resurgence has not gone unnoticed in England, where he remains popular after scoring a Championship-high 28 goals for Middlesbrough last term.

And according to Teamtalk, as per Voetbal4u, six English Premier League clubs are interested in taking Akpom off the grips of Ajax when the transfer window opens in January.

Fulham, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Luton Town, Sheffield United and Everton are all willing to sit at the negotiations table with Ajax for the former England youth international.

The reports further claim that many of the interested parties want to sign Akpom on a loan deal, with the Nigerian descent open to the option of a return to the Premier League.

Akpom made four appearances for Arsenal in the Premier League without scoring a goal before he departed the club permanently in 2018.

While he wants to return to England, Akpom also has his eyes on playing for Nigeria at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in January.

Despite playing for England's U21 national team, Akpom remains eligible to play for Nigeria and he has already confessed his desire to be a part of the Super Eagles.

But with Nigeria boasting several exciting options in attack, including Napoli's Victor Osimhen and Nottingham Forest's Taiwo Awoniyi.

Awoniyi may, however, miss the tournament after he suffered an injury that could keep him out of action for another two months.

The absence of the former Liverpool signing could leave the door open for the likes of Akpom to participate in Africa's flagship championship.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/11/six-premier-league-clubs-including-fulham-everton-crystal-palace-want-exciting-super-eagles-hopeful.html

WhiteJC

Martin Ferney
Born: Lambeth, 8 November 1971

Position: Midfielder

Signed: 1 August 1988

Fulham debut: Fulham 0-1 Notts County, 28 November 1989

Fulham appearances: 67

Fulham goals: 1

Sold: 31 May 1995 (released)

Lambeth-born midfielder Martin Ferney joined Fulham as a teenage apprentice and progressed through the club's youth team set-up to make 67 first-team appearances before being released at the end of the 1994-95 season.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/1988/08/martin-ferney/

Jims Dentist

Remember Martin Ferney.
Whole hearted, hard tackling defensive midfielder.
Gave his all in a struggling Fulham team.