watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Murphy on leaving Fulham "I was treated like dirt really"

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, December 01, 2023, 12:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingjay81

Danny Murphy- Fulham legend. Best captain in my lifetime and no idea what people are saying about his so called bitterness towards us as a pundit. Whenever i hear him talk about us, it's as if he's smiling.

I will never forget his header at Porstmouth as long as I live. Was right in front of me.

He does bum lick Simon Jordan a bit on talksport though. 😂

St Eve

He wanted a 2 year contract and we would only give him one. Frankly he deserved it and although his legs were going he could have been used sparingly. Great captain, great penalty taker and good senior head for management.
Similar to the Cairney situation really, except we are smarter now

RaySmith

Great player for Fulham imo, he led the fight back at City, in the Great Escape,  knocking in the  rebound from his pen, and putting Kamara through for his goal, and his battling, never give up example generally, then, of course, scoring that goal v Pompey.

A warrior, and very skilful too.

Like him as a pundit, and always found him fair when speaking of Fulham.

No sentiment in football, but you'd think the club would have given him the contract he wanted in recognition of what he'd  achieved with Fulham, and I'm sure  a role could have found for him at the club even when his playing days were  nearing an end.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: bog on December 01, 2023, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on December 01, 2023, 01:17:46 PMsad to hear but cant be as bad as roy keane at  man utd.

By his own abrasive way Roy Keane brought about his leaving at United. 
still doesnt alter the way the club treated him. you heard him and gary neville talk about it?

Blawarmy

Quote from: JimmyConway on December 01, 2023, 07:12:30 PMDanny Murphy has always aimed his displeasure at Mackintosh without actually naming him. He had agreed with Jol and the club in principle only to have the rug pulled away by the club. Whether the analytics department had kicked in then with his age at the time not sure? It was the first time the other day he had mentioned the words chief executive as previously it was always someone at the club had decided?
Would be interesting to know if it's been patched up or still a grudge held by Danny.
Didn't AK47 also have major beef with Mackintosh? 

demeant0r

Danny Murphy is my favourite Fulham midfielder in my lifetime. I don't think there's anything he could say that would change my mind about this.

General

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on December 01, 2023, 08:43:40 PMJari Litmanen?!

An example of using a player who in the context of his career did particularly well but signed for us and technically played for us, but never actually played a game. He was paid to be a spectator during his time at the club essentially. Someone who likely has ambivalent feelings or thoughts towards us as a club as a result of not doing much for us or getting much out of his time here.

filham

I always thought of Danny Murphy as a possible future Fulham manager.
That now seems unlikely to ever happen.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: General on December 03, 2023, 09:42:20 AM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on December 01, 2023, 08:43:40 PMJari Litmanen?!

An example of using a player who in the context of his career did particularly well but signed for us and technically played for us, but never actually played a game. He was paid to be a spectator during his time at the club essentially. Someone who likely has ambivalent feelings or thoughts towards us as a club as a result of not doing much for us or getting much out of his time here.

Ah, that makes more sense.  Cheers for explaining.

simplyfulham

Quote from: TC's Sporran on December 02, 2023, 12:06:35 AM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on December 01, 2023, 01:17:46 PMsad to hear but cant be as bad as roy keane at  man utd.

still doesnt alter the way the club treated him. you heard him and gary neville talk about it?

Roy absolutely had it coming.

His last few years at the club he acted more like a toddler than a club captain.

There are ways to do things but he just went around testing SAF's (and everyone else's) patience.

The club don't really owe him anything imo.

Brawn

The way Jol dismantled the Hodgson team and replaced them with a bunch of ageing plodders (no offence to Plodder on this board) was borderline criminal. The way Dempsey, Schwarzer, Zamora, Johnson, and three or four others were treated was well known.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: simplyfulham on December 03, 2023, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: TC's Sporran on December 02, 2023, 12:06:35 AM

Roy absolutely had it coming.

His last few years at the club he acted more like a toddler than a club captain.

There are ways to do things but he just went around testing SAF's (and everyone else's) patience.

The club don't really owe him anything imo.

to be fair ive only really listened to (and believed) his version.  i read fergies book but cant remember much as it was a drunken holiday read.  keane reckons the media spin of how everything was down to his attitude (and messing them about) was bs.  i think it was just a case of fergie couldnt be seen to back down especially after the mutv piece keane did.  rooney said it wasnt that bad. i prefer to believe keane. fergie was a control freak and once keane appeared out of his control that was it. a few lies spread by fergie and his assistant manager re  the length of his tenure there enforce my belief that fergie wasnt amiss to telling porkies. the villa thing with keane was just him wanting a family holiday for him and his 4 kids and finding a suitable gaff. when you listen to keane expalin it all it really looks and spounds like he is telling the truth and since then fergie and co have had the chance to dispute what he says but havent. case closed?

back on topic i think its hard for a club to offer a player a long contract no matter how good theyve been in  the past. once their legs have gone thats it. he moved to blackburn by his own admission cos he was promised games but had a nightmare and some say he was the worst player theyd had for 20 years. left after just 1 season by mutual consent?  just read one fan said  he should have been sent off 3 times a game.  so i can see why its hard to reward a player whos days are already numbered  a 2 yr deal.  i think players sometimes forget this and think the club owes them something despite being paid handsomely as it is.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: RaySmith on December 01, 2023, 11:50:46 PMGreat player for Fulham imo, he led the fight back at City, in the Great Escape,  knocking in the  rebound from his pen, and putting Kamara through for his goal, and his battling, never give up example generally, then, of course, scoring that goal v Pompey.

A warrior, and very skilful too.

Like him as a pundit, and always found him fair when speaking of Fulham.

No sentiment in football, but you'd think the club would have given him the contract he wanted in recognition of what he'd  achieved with Fulham, and I'm sure  a role could have found for him at the club even when his playing days were  nearing an end.

or instead of a phoney playing contract if his legs were on the way out then offer him a role at the club in some capacity. he obviously still wanted to play but refused to accept he was done. i love him as a guy and a pundit.

St Eve

Quote from: Brawn on December 03, 2023, 05:13:38 PMThe way Jol dismantled the Hodgson team and replaced them with a bunch of ageing plodders (no offence to Plodder on this board) was borderline criminal. The way Dempsey, Schwarzer, Zamora, Johnson, and three or four others were treated was well known.
I don't think Joel had a say. The money dried up all he could get was loans

Penfold

Quote from: St Eve on December 04, 2023, 03:12:22 AM
Quote from: Brawn on December 03, 2023, 05:13:38 PMThe way Jol dismantled the Hodgson team and replaced them with a bunch of ageing plodders (no offence to Plodder on this board) was borderline criminal. The way Dempsey, Schwarzer, Zamora, Johnson, and three or four others were treated was well known.
I don't think Joel had a say. The money dried up all he could get was loans

Jol certainly had a say in signing players like Berbatov and Rodalega. Not much in transfer fees but (back then) sky high wages. I doubt people like the past it Riise were on tuppence a week either.

Joel's masterclass was, of course, the transfer window after Shahid Khan bought the club. Darren Bent on loan anybody?

Wolf

I find it extraordinary for people to say Danny Murphy should have received a two-year contract based on past performance. Its not £30k a year we're talking about, but a long onerous contract. Great player in a Fulham shirt, but a disastrous expensive signing on a two-year deal for Blackburn.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots