watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FA Cup and Fridays

Started by Ludlow Richard, January 06, 2024, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

Yesterday was our 294th FA Cup tie since joining the league in the 1907/08 season, but only our 4th tie on a Friday. The victory over Rotherham was our first FA Cup victory on a Friday.

The other three games were:

2nd December 1994, drew 1-1 with Gillingham, lost the replay.
7th December 1990, drew 0-0 with Cambridge, lost the replay
and (horribly) 15th November 1991, lost 0-2 to Hayes.

Shredhead

Good work, Richard. A win is a win, however ugly.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Ludlow Richard

And just in case anyone is wondering. The commentators tonight mentioned several times that Villa had been knocked out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup nine times in a row (one of those was by Fulham of course).

Although it feels like it should be a lot more, the most times in a row we have been knocked out in the first round we've been in is a mere 3. The last such threesome was a particularly grim one: it started with Hayes in 1991, carried on with Northampton in 1992 and the third first round defeat in a row came at the hands of Yeovil, like Hayes a non-league team, in 1993. The streak was broken in 1994 by beating Ashford (yet another non-league team) in a replay, after coming very very close to losing in the first match.......

filham

Early days but thoughts of an FA Cup run are always attractive, so much now depends on the draw on Monday night, could be home or away to lots of different teams ranging from Maidstone to Man.City. That is the attraction of the cup.

SP

Thanks Richard, I was trying to recall the Hayes defeat, I couldn't remember who it was.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on January 06, 2024, 09:59:15 PMAnd just in case anyone is wondering. The commentators tonight mentioned several times that Villa had been knocked out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup nine times in a row (one of those was by Fulham of course).

Although it feels like it should be a lot more, the most times in a row we have been knocked out in the first round we've been in is a mere 3. The last such threesome was a particularly grim one: it started with Hayes in 1991, carried on with Northampton in 1992 and the third first round defeat in a row came at the hands of Yeovil, like Hayes a non-league team, in 1993. The streak was broken in 1994 by beating Ashford (yet another non-league team) in a replay, after coming very very close to losing in the first match.......
Thanks Richard I think I may be right in saying that QPR have the record of being knocked out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

boyboy

27th Jan 2012, Friday away to Everton FA cup 4th round. Lost 2-0. Got coach back to Hammersmith after game, night bus to Liverpool Street, had to sleep on bench at the station till first train out in morning. Thought what are the chances of ticket inspectors on the 04:30 train, but they were on the train. Bit too old to sleep on bench nowadays so not going to Liverpool.

Penfold

I'm sure Gillingham in 1994 was a Saturday afternoon.

Logicalman

Quote from: Penfold on January 07, 2024, 12:42:04 PMI'm sure Gillingham in 1994 was a Saturday afternoon.

Interestingly correct (according to 11vs11) Fulham vs Gillingham - Sat 3rd December and confirmed via official program Fulham vs Mansfield Jan 2, 1995.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Dr Know

Quote from: boyboy on January 07, 2024, 12:34:13 PM27th Jan 2012, Friday away to Everton FA cup 4th round. Lost 2-0. Got coach back to Hammersmith after game, night bus to Liverpool Street, had to sleep on bench at the station till first train out in morning. Thought what are the chances of ticket inspectors on the 04:30 train, but they were on the train. Bit too old to sleep on bench nowadays so not going to Liverpool.
Didn't we lose 2-1 , if my failing memory serves me right ?

Logicalman

Quote from: Dr Know on January 08, 2024, 04:18:38 PM
Quote from: boyboy on January 07, 2024, 12:34:13 PM27th Jan 2012, Friday away to Everton FA cup 4th round. Lost 2-0. Got coach back to Hammersmith after game, night bus to Liverpool Street, had to sleep on bench at the station till first train out in morning. Thought what are the chances of ticket inspectors on the 04:30 train, but they were on the train. Bit too old to sleep on bench nowadays so not going to Liverpool.
Didn't we lose 2-1 , if my failing memory serves me right ?

Another correct one!Everton v Fulham, 27 January 2012 (Murphy Pen on 14 minutes)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Ludlow Richard

Which goes to show that you should never work on stats when you come back from the pub! Thanks for the amendments, chaps.

On the Gillingham game, Dennis Turner's magisterial book "Fulham, The Complete Record" has 2nd December (the Friday) but it was 3rd December...