watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 22, 2011, 10:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis says Fulham striker Clint Dempsey was "clever" when earning a spot-kick in the 2-0 defeat at Craven Cottage and the punishment for Ryan Shawcross of a penalty, red card and two-game band is "scandalous" and "too, too harsh".

Video -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9370686.stm

White Noise

Mark Hughes denies that Stoke losing a man in Fulham's 2-0 win, when Ryan Shawcross upended Clint Dempsey for a penalty, made a huge difference as he thinks his team "had the game won at that stage".

Video -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/9370722.stm

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6695194,00.html

Hughes lauds Fulham duo

Dempsey brace caps strong home performance for Hughes

Last updated: 22nd January 2011 

Mark Hughes has heaped praise on Andrew Johnson and Damien Duff after his Fulham side's 2-0 win over Stoke.

The duo rolled back the years and made life extremely difficult for a shell-shocked Stoke side who continued their struggles on the road.

The Fulham boss was encouraged to see his side take the initiative and control a vital game that now lifts his team four points above the drop zone.

Hughes was happy to discuss the performances of two players who could prove to be as important as any potential new signings at Craven Cottage.

"I thought he [Johnson] was excellent again today even without the goals," Hughes told Sky Sports.

"In his general play and his performances of late you can see he was getting back to the level he was before his bad injury and he just needs games now.

"Every game he plays now he'll be stronger and faster and we'll benefit from him.

"I was really pleased with Damien's performance today he was really positive, going at his full-back and causing him problems all day long.

"He'll be encouraged by that as we wanted him to isolate his full-back if he could. He created a lot of opportunities for us today."

Comfortable win

Despite having a less than stellar record after going in front this season, Hughes was happy to see his men play out a relatively problem-free second half that even included a rare penalty for the home side.

"We played well today I thought it was a very accomplished performance," added Hughes.

"We scored a great opening goal and created a situation which led to a penalty. At 2-0 we were quite comfortable.

"Even before that I thought we played like a more accomplished side and deserved to win today.

"We haven't had a penalty for quite some time so I wasn't quite sure who was going to take it myself so I think it was one of those where Clint grabbed the ball to take it."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6695367,00.html

Pulis critical of red ruling

Potters boss has no complaints about result

Last updated: 22nd January 2011

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has bemoaned the fact Ryan Shawcross must now miss two games following Saturday's red card at Fulham.

Fulham wound up 2-0 winners, with the second goal coming from the spot after Shawcross had hauled down Clint Dempsey in the box.

The away side struggled to find the form that has made them a terrifying prospect at the Britannia, with a strong bench unable to make an impact after the sending off.

Referee Stuart Attwell had little choice but to reduce the Potters to ten men, yet Pulis feels the rule needs looking at.

"I'm looking at it and it's two bodies coming together. He's been sent off, we've been penalised with them scoring the second goal and now he misses another two games," Pulis told Sky Sports.

"I think it's a harsh thing to have to accept when it looks as though the kid's almost on the way down waiting to be touched.

"It's not only that it's the two games [suspension] as well. It's desperately disappointing for us. I do think at times people will have to look at [the rule]."

Outclassed
Pulis admitted that he had few issues with the result itself, but pointed to a number of chances that could have created a very different outcome.

"I've not really any complaints [about the result]. I think the penalty decision obviously changed the game," added Pulis.

"First half I'd say Fulham were the better team although we've had four or five great opportunities today without really playing well. Obviously the penalty and the sending off then kills you.

"We've got good players ready to come on but when you're 2-0 down and ten men it's very difficult for the forwards.

"Having said that, Kenwyne has had two great headers that have gone over the bar. On another day he scores those two."

White Noise

Taking Control

Saturday 22nd January 2011

Mousa Dembele praised the manner of Saturday's win over Stoke with the Whites producing a superb performance against a team that came to Craven Cottage in eighth place.

Fulham completed a league double over the Staffordshire club, with Clint Dempsey providing the finishing touch with two well-taken goals - the second of which came from the spot after Ryan Shawcross was sent off after hauling the American down in the box.

"This was a great win for us," said Dembele speaking to fulhamfc.com. "Clint took his goals really well, and we deserved them. Perhaps we could have had a few more too.

"From start to finish we controlled the game and at times we played some fantastic football. It was good to be part of that today.

"Stoke are a strong side, but we matched them in every department and as a result we saw a big all round display."

The Belgium international made his first start for the Whites since mid-November, and naturally the 23-year-old was delighted to be in action again in what was at times a bruising encounter for the Fulham front line.

"Of course, it was really pleasing to be back out there with my team-mates," he said. "I've missed a fair bit of football lately, so I'm determined to come back and do well.

"I think I played alright today, and I have to say that I felt good and there were no concerns regarding the injury.

"Stoke are a physical side and sometimes you get that in football. It can be difficult but you have to get on with it. I thought we coped well."

Dembele certainly impressed on Saturday and Whites fans will be hoping for more of the same when Fulham are next in action at Craven Cottage against Tottenham in the FA Cup next weekend|.

"It's a game that I'm looking forward to and hopefully I will be involved," said Dembele. "It will be the first time that I have played in the competition so it will be a big moment for me.

"Tottenham are a good side, but we're confident that we can get ourselves through to the next round. I'm really enjoying my time at the Club and it would be nice to put a successful run together."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/DembeleStokeReaction.aspx#ixzz1Bq9DHSYq

White Noise

Winning Qualities

Saturday 22nd January 2011

Speaking after Fulham's Barclays Premier League victory over Stoke City at Craven Cottage, Manager Mark Hughes gave his post-match assessment.

Hughes praised the contribution of Clint Dempsey, who netted goals either side of half-time to help secure all three points for the Whites.

"Sometimes you think Clint's not having an impact on the game, but he's had a positive influence in virtually every game he's played, with goals created or scored," Hughes explained.

"It was a great finish for the first, and a great touch to create the penalty by himself. He always has a positive impact.

"It was a good win today - pretty straightforward in all fairness," Hughes added.

"We got the ball down, played our stuff and got the goals at good times. It was quite comfortable.

"We just knew we had to get over a period where results didn't quite go for us. We just needed to get key personnel back, firing.

"We got a great result against Stoke away from home, which really galvanised us, made us understand as a group what we needed to do to win games in this very difficult league. From that point onwards, we've shown a lot of great qualities that gives me confidence that will obviously sustain the team."

On the downside both Dickson Etuhu and Aaron Hughes were replaced during the match as a result of injuries.

"Dickson must be a doubt on Wednesday, with tightness in his hamstring - Aaron too," Hughes said. "We think Dickson might have damaged that hamstring. Aaron had more of a spasm."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesStokeReaction.aspx#ixzz1Bq9Xfk6P

White Noise

Stoke Photo Special

A collection of some of the best photos from Saturday's Barclays Premier League victory over Stoke City.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/StokePhotoSpecial.aspx

White Noise

Fulham 2 - 0 Stoke

Mousa Dembele returned to action at Craven Cottage, joining Andrew Johnson up front in attack for the visit of Stoke City as Fulham produced a polished performance to claim all three points at Craven Cottage.

Throughout the encounter the Potters certainly looked dangerous from the set-piece and Ryan Shawcross came close to opening the scoring in the fourth minute when he rose highest in the Fulham area to head just wide from a dangerous free kick delivery.

Damien Duff then rattled the Stoke crossbar on six minutes when he made space for himself after receiving a pass from Dempsey. The Republic of Ireland international checked back onto his left foot before unleashing a fierce rising drive which had Begovic beaten well beaten.

That shot set Fulham off on the front foot and put Stoke into a more defensive posture. Danny Murphy was next to try his luck when his shot from 25 yards flew just wide of the post following good work from Mousa Dembele.

With Andrew Johnson proving to be a willing runner up front for the Whites, the Stoke defence was rarely allowed a moment's peace to build from the back.

A flowing move from Fulham on 21 minutes saw Dickson Etuhu and Clint Dempsey involved before feeding the ball to the impressive Damien Duff who forced Asmir Begovic into a flying save away to his right.

Once more, it was through the set-piece that Stoke looked the most threatening and on 25 minutes Kenwyne Jones stuck the outside of the Fulham post when Chris Baird's defensive header fell into his path.

As the first-half progressed the game gradually became more fragmented in nature, suiting Tony Pulis' men better. But Fulham were best able to work the game to their advantage when they were allowed to get the ball on the floor and play their natural game.

It was from such a passage of play, on 33 minutes, that the Whites took the lead. Andrew Johnson showed a fine turn of pace in the Stoke area to beat his man and lay a square pass into the path of Clint Dempsey, who scored with a routine finish from two yards.

The second-half got under way with Fulham attacking the Hammersmith End. Immediately the trickery of Damien Duff drew two quick-fire fouls from Tony Pulis' men, as they looked to assert their authority on proceedings.

Andrew Johnson's outstanding work ethic was again in clear evidence when, on 51 minutes, he charged down a clearance from Andy Wilkinson, leading to a promising situation for the Whites

Stoke were reduced to ten men on 54 minutes when Ryan Shawcross brought down Clint Dempsey in the area after the US international showed an outstanding first touch to put himself clear of the Stoke defence. With only the keeper to beat, Dempsey was brought to ground, earning Fulham a penalty and Shawcross a straight red card. Dempsey stepped up and fired his shot firmly past Begovic.

Stoke introduced John Carew to the action in an attempt to get back into the game. And shortly after, Dickson Etuhu was replaced by Steve Sidwell in a like-for-like swap.

Andrew Johnson almost put the result well and truly beyond doubt on 72 minutes when he produced a sublime first touch to create an opportunity on his left foot. Unfortunately Begovic was able to save low down.

Zoltan Gera was introduced to the action on 74 minutes in place of Mousa Dembele. Mark Hughes then made his final change of the match when Aaron Hughes came off for Rafik Halliche.

The changes did little to affect Fulham's dominance on proceedings as the ten men of Stoke were simply unable to overcome their numerical disadvantage. The Whites remained well in control until the final whistle, earning another three points and completing a league double over Stoke.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/Premiership/StokeCityHome.aspx#ixzz1BqADMUD5

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9370775.stm

Fulham's Mark Hughes in truce with Stoke's Tony Pulis 

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has drawn a line under his row with Stoke City boss Tony Pulis.

The pair clashed after Andy Wilkinson's challenge on Moussa Dembele in Stoke's 2-0 League Cup win in September and did not shake hands after the game.

A repeat followed the London club's 2-0 win at the Britannia Stadium in December, but the pair embraced before and after Fulham's 2-0 win on Saturday.

"We were just two daft Welshmen a couple of weeks ago," said Hughes.

Two goals from Clint Dempsey, the second from the penalty spot after Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross was sent off for bringing down the United States international, sealed a third Premier League win in five games for the Cottagers.

"It was a good win today - pretty straightforward in all fairness," said Hughes, whose side have climbed to 14th in the table, four points above the relegation zone.

"We got the ball down, played our stuff and got the goals at good times. It was quite comfortable.

Hughes was also quick to pay tribute to Dempsey, who netted his eighth and ninth goals of the season.

"Sometimes you think Clint's not having an impact on the game, but he's had a positive influence in virtually every game he's played, with goals created or scored," said the former Blackburn and Manchester City boss.

"It was a great finish for the first, and a great touch to create the penalty by himself. He always has a positive impact."

Pulis was left to rue referee Stuart Attwell's decision to send off Shawcross, who now faces a two-match ban for his second red card of the season.

"It looked as though Dempsey was on the way down," said the Stoke boss. "Dempsey's a very clever player but, if you're the referee, you give it.

"The disappointing thing for me is they get the penalty, the kid gets sent off, and we lose him for two games.

"The punishment does not suit the crime there. It's very harsh for the club and for the kid.

"It's not a reckless or poor challenge, or a nasty challenge. But he's missing for two games."

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9362434.stm

Fulham   2 - 0   Stoke

Dempsey slides in to give Fulham the lead at Craven Cottage

By Stephan Shemilt 

Clint Dempsey scored twice to help Fulham complete a second Premier League win over Stoke in the space of a month.

Stoke had chances to lead, with Ryan Shawcross heading wide and Kenwyne Jones shooting against the post.

But Dempsey made the Potters pay when he slid in to finish Andrew Johnson's cross from close range.

And the American sealed the points from the penalty spot after he was fouled by Shawcross, who was sent off for denying the goalscoring chance.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes and Stoke boss Tony Pulis had failed to shake hands after either of the previous two meetings between the sides this season, a result of Andy Wilkinson's challenge on Moussa Dembele in the Potters' 2-0 Carling Cup win in September.

The Welshmen put their differences aside before the game, but it was Hughes who had cause to celebrate at full-time, thanks largely to the way his side controlled the game, with Danny Murphy particularly dominant in midfield.

For all Stoke's commitment and indefatigable effort, they lacked the guile to unlock the Fulham defence and had to rely on set-pieces to provide their best goalscoring opportunities.

Indeed, it was an early Stoke free-kick that gave the game its first clear effort on goal.

Matthew Etherington's floated ball was met by Shawcross, who headed wide when he should have at least hit the target.

From there Fulham took a firmer footing. Damien Duff, as a prelude to the problems he would cause down the Stoke left, cut inside past Rory Delap and rattled a shot against the visitors' bar from 25 yards out.

With the hosts enjoying the lion's share of possession, Stoke were pushed further back into their own half, but should have taken the lead midway through the first period.

After Murphy was booked for a challenge on Dean Whitehead, the resulting free-kick fell to Jones in the Fulham penalty area.

With goalkeeper David Stockdale scrambling across his line, the former Sunderland man unleashed a right-foot shot that rattled the outside of the post.

606: DEBATE
Fulham looked in a different league at times. If only our away form was as good as our home we would be top eight easy.

Callum
Soon after, Stoke were made to pay. Duff's ball into the box found the feet of Johnson, who had been recalled to the Fulham starting line-up after scoring the equaliser in the 1-1 draw with Wigan.

On his 150th Premier League appearance, the former Birmingham and Crystal Palace striker took the long way around Shawcross and from close to the byeline rolled the ball across Asmir Begovic's goal, with Dempsey sliding in front of Wilkinson to finish.

The remainder of the first half passed without incident, but with Fulham continuing to rule the middle of the park, the Potters headed for the dressing room to consider how to provide better service to the front two of Jones and Tuncay.

Whatever plan Pulis put in place to get his side back in the game, it was destroyed early in the second half.

Murphy's exquisite pass from deep found Dempsey, who deftly spun away from Shawcross and Robert Huth and moved towards Begovic's goal.

He was denied the chance to shoot by Shawcross, who grappled him to the ground. The Stoke skipper was dismissed for the challenge and Dempsey rammed the resulting penalty into the middle of the net.

Pulis reshuffled his pack, handing a debut to striker John Carew, but the striker on loan from Aston Villa had little impact bar a mazy run into the hosts' box.

An injury to Dickson Etuhu gave Steve Sidwell a first Fulham appearance from the substitutes' bench, as the home side's ability to keep the ball gave Stoke little hope of getting back into the game.

Johnson could have added a third, but he could only shoot at Begovic after skilfully collecting a long ball from Aaron Hughes and fending off the challenge of Abdoulaye Faye. The spurned chance would not prove costly, as Stoke were already beaten.

The win moves Fulham up to 14th in the table, the four-point advantage over the bottom three providing some daylight between themselves and the relegation zone.

Already on 30 points, Stoke drop to ninth but will feel that they are close to safety, even if Pulis has yet to unlock the secret of consistently winning away in the top flight.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/01/dempsey-settles-a-few-scores/

Fulham 2-0 Stoke

Filed under: Match reports — rich @ 8:06 pm

A tale of two midfields:  ours bossed the game, they didn't use theirs at all.   That's Fulham v Stoke in a nutshell, and it feels right that the more attentive and skilful eleven should have prevailed.  Which is not to moralise – Stoke wouldn't be where they are if they played any other way – but equally, if everyone played like they do...

We had previous here, too.   Dembele v Wilkinson, and therefore Hughes v Pulis and Murphy v Stoke City and its stakeholders.  It gave the match a nice edge, an edge sharpened by the presence of haphazard referee Stuart Atwell, whose reputation now preceeds him to the point where it's impossible to tell if he's doing his job properly or not, such is the derision shown after most of his decisions: today he seemed more concerned with the minutiae (take that free-kick 5 yards back there) than more serious offences (take as long as you like, Mr Begovic, anything up to 5 minutes per goal kick will be fine).

The Fulham players won their battles in the end.  Dembele mightn't have chosen a game like this to get back on track, but his class told more often than not, and he wasn't afraid to mix it when he had to.   Hughes won the game, and Murphy (again) dominated the middle of the pitch, his every touch cheered on by a nicely boisterous crowd.

We started well, Duff smashing a shot against the bar from 25 yards out, then Dempsey made it 1-0 following some good, eager work by Andy Johnson, who worked down the inside right channel and squared it across the area.  Dempsey arrived noisily to turn the ball over Begovic, a typical goal from a man who is having a tremendous season.

We couldn't build on the lead though, and the game moved from phases where we were in charge, in which the ball was pinged around nicely, and phases where it all got horribly messy, in which nobody could take control.  Kenwyn Jones was briefly in fine form, winning a number of headers convincingly and making life hard for Hughes and Hangeland.  But then he just disappeared from the game.

The second half saw more of the same, a well deserved second goal arriving when Murphy turned in the centre-circle and launched a long ball over the top into the path of Dempsey, who managed to turn the ball between the two centre-backs with Bergkamp-esque deftness (or a slightly iffy first touch).  He was clean through but hauled down by Shawcross, who then had to go.  Murphy took the ball but somehow or other Dempsey ended up with it, smashing home his second.   Murphy trotted back to the halfway line rather than celebrate with Dempsey, suggesting that he wasn't altogether pleased with his team-mate's spirited insubordination.  He probably has a point, but Dempsey deserved the goal, and took the penalty with great conviction.

It was over at that point.  Etuhu, who had another good game, made way for Steve Sidwell, who became only the second Fulham player on the field with his shirt tucked in (the other was Duff).  Sidwell looked instantly at home, tackling well and passing competently and surely.   He struck a fine drive just wide and will have been pleased to get his first game in under such straightforward circumstances.   Gera and Halliche were also given a run-out with 15 minutes left (we had a pretty good bench today, featuring Gera, Davies, Kamara, Sidwell, Halliche and presumably Etherington – you can change a lot of games with players like that available).

And so it goes, and so it goes.  We were better than them and we beat them good and proper.

White Noise

Fulham 2-0 Stoke: Sunday Mirror match report

Published 22:00 22/01/11

By Steve Stammers

Any venom at Craven Cottage was generated by the crowd – in the white corner there was abuse in abundance for Stoke manager Tony Pulis and a selection of his players.

From the red section came jeers for Fulham's Danny Murphy, who had singled Stoke out for criticism in his diatribe against violence on the pitch earlier this term.

Ironically, peacenik Murphy was the only Fulham player to be booked on a day when Clint Dempsey's double eased their relegation fears.

Stoke could not cope with Fulham's speed of thought, accuracy of pass, and their admirable creativity.

And the managers? The post-match handshake tradition has been tetchy after Stoke's Carling Cup win, then after Fulham's Premier League success earlier this season.

Yesterday, there was no evidence of any ill-feeling on either bench. Mark Hughes was his usual sartorial self in suit and tie. Pulis persisted in his own fashion statement of tracksuit and baseball cap and at the final whistle, the meeting of hands was firm and without reservation. "We even shook before the game," said Hughes.

"There has been no problem between the teams, it was more two Welshman acting daft."

For Hughes, there was evidence to reinforce his claim that when the injuries cleared up the points would come.

Stoke's misery was completed by a red card for captain Ryan Shawcross when conceding the penalty that brought Fulham's second goal.

"That killed it and we now lose him for two games because he was sent off earlier this season at Sunderland," said Pulis. "It's harsh because the tackle wasn't malicious."

The spot-kick was won by Dempsey. "A very clever player, I like him," said Pulis. "He is going down before the challenge comes in. Clever."

Turkish striker Tuncay was not so clever. With the match goalless, he had only David Stockdale to beat but shot tamely at the Fulham keeper. Not one for his YouTube montage.

Dempsey made Stoke pay after 33 minutes when he slid home Andy Johnson's cross.

Nine minutes into the second half, Dempsey's exquisite touch and turn was too clever by half for Shawcross and it was game over as the American converted the penalty.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-2-0-Stoke-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Clint-Dempsey-s-double-eased-the-relegation-fears-for-Mark-Hughes-article679715.html#ixzz1BqCnoDHM

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9370775.stm?

Fulham's Mark Hughes in truce with Stoke's Tony Pulis

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has drawn a line under his row with Stoke City boss Tony Pulis.

The pair clashed after Andy Wilkinson's challenge on Moussa Dembele in Stoke's 2-0 League Cup win in September and did not shake hands after the game.

A repeat followed the London club's 2-0 win at the Britannia Stadium in December, but the pair embraced before and after Fulham's 2-0 win on Saturday.

"We were just two daft Welshmen a couple of weeks ago," said Hughes.

Two goals from Clint Dempsey, the second from the penalty spot after Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross was sent off for bringing down the United States international, sealed a third Premier League win in five games for the Cottagers.

"It was a good win today - pretty straightforward in all fairness," said Hughes, whose side have climbed to 14th in the table, four points above the relegation zone.

Hughes was also quick to pay tribute to Dempsey, who netted his eighth and ninth goals of the season.

"Sometimes you think Clint's not having an impact on the game, but he's had a positive influence in virtually every game he's played, with goals created or scored," said the former Blackburn and Manchester City boss.

"It was a great finish for the first, and a great touch to create the penalty by himself. He always has a positive impact."

Pulis was left to rue referee Stuart Attwell's decision to send off Shawcross, who now faces a two-match ban for his second red card of the season.

"It looked as though Dempsey was on the way down," said the Stoke boss. "Dempsey's a very clever player but, if you're the referee, you give it.

"The disappointing thing for me is they get the penalty, the kid gets sent off, and we lose him for two games.

"The punishment does not suit the crime there. It's very harsh for the club and for the kid.

"It's not a reckless or poor challenge, or a nasty challenge. But he's missing for two games."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hughes-has-last-laugh-2507406.html?

Hughes has last laugh
Fulham 2 Stoke City 0

Mark Hughes branded himself and Tony Pulis "two daft Welshmen" after having the last laugh in their feud as Fulham completed a Premier League double over Stoke yesterday.

Hughes and Pulis fell out in September over an Andy Wilkinson tackle on Moussa Dembele, refusing to shake hands in that Carling Cup tie or in last month's league game at the Britannia Stadium. But despite another tempestuous affair between the two sides, the two managers buried the hatchet, pressing the flesh both before and after the Cottagers' 2-0 win yesterday.

"We were just two daft Welshmen a couple of weeks ago," said Hughes after watching Clint Dempsey's double edge his side closer to safety.

Fulham were full value for their victory, in which top scorer Dempsey netted his eighth and ninth goals of the season. The second came from the penalty spot after Ryan Shawcross had bundled over the American, earning a straight red card.

Pulis disputed the dismissal, saying: "It looked as though Dempsey was on the way down. The disappointing thing for me is they get the penalty, the kid gets sent off, and we lose him for two games. The punishment does not suit the crime there. It's not reckless or nasty."

Hughes hailed the contribution of Dempsey, saying: "Sometimes you think Clint's not having an impact on the game, but he's had a positive influence in virtually every game he's played, with goals created or scored."

The one downside for Hughes was injuries picked up by Dickson Etuhu and Aaron Hughes ahead of Wednesday's trip to Liverpool.

"Dickson must be a doubt on Wednesday, with tightness in his hamstring -- Aaron too," Hughes said. "We think Dickson might have damaged that hamstring. Aaron had more of a spasm."

- ben rumsby

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/sunday-morning-news/

Sunday morning news

Filed under: General — rich @ 10:43 am

Andy Gray and Richard Keys in iffy comments about female linesman shock!   #getthesesmugbuffoonsoffthetv

Paulo Bandini, via Twitter, reports that Gazzetta Dello Sport (Italy) only referred to "the beautiful lineswoman".

Ho hum.

Also on Twitter, Matt Holland, former Ipswich captain, made a point of praising Chris Smalling's display for Man Utd yesterday.    Nice to see the lad doing well – a great game to get his feet wet (United stormed it 5-0).

Finally, and this one's about Fulham, Chris Baird's passing is becoming a legitimate 'weapon':

Everyone's going crazy over Charlie Adam's passing for Blackpool; Baird's getting seriously good, too.

Danny Murphy had 90+ passes, incidentally.   Teams have to stop him if they want to stop Fulham.   Surprised Stoke weren't better on this front.