watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Robinson

Started by KentFulham, November 04, 2023, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: hovewhite on November 05, 2023, 06:58:29 AMThink his weakness is he cannot put a cross in to save his life with the coaching team can't they coach him to do that ,then going forward he would be a real weapon with his pace.Or what are coaching staff there for?

His poor crossing (and passing) is definitely his main weakness but his positioning defensively is also a problem. We've seen far too many free headers against us, in dangerous positions, from players Robinson should have tracked better.

Unfortunately the coaching team seems unable to improve these weaknesses. When Robinson joined us three years ago he was still young enough to expect some improvement. But he's 26 now. He has probably peaked as a footballer and his weaknesses are still exactly the same. His poor crossing is still a huge problem. In fact, I can't see any improvement to his crossing whatsoever since he joined us.

His pace is obviously his main strength but it also helps to hide the fact that he isn't a particularly good footballer (at this level). He gets into good positions but it's usually wasted by his shockingly poor final ball. His pace means he can track back fast but not nearly as effectively as in the Championship, against slower players. He still gives attackers too much space inside our box and no amount of pace can fix that.

I've personally never been a fan of Robinson. I think he flatters to deceive. Good pace, reasonably strong one-on-one (although he has struggled lately) but his weaknesses are more exposed at this level and frequently exploited by other teams.

From what I've seen of Ballo-Touré he looks like a MUCH better footballer. He doesn't have Robinson's pace but that pace isn't worth much when it doesn't provide us with goal scoring opportunities and is mainly used to cover up defensive weaknesses (positioning).

I hope Ballo-Tourè will be given a chance against Villa. At least he will give them something new to think about. Every team in the PL knows how to prepare for Robinson at LB by now. If Ballo-Touré isn't the answer we need a new LB.

colinwhite

ridiculous to write off Robinson IMO. Glad MS is running the team !!°

Whitestone

The negativity towards Robinson is way over the top. He's a decent LB with flaws like every single player in our squad. He's become  a regular target for some on this forum. I think some posters focus solely on the negative aspects of Robinson's game. Take a closer look and you'll see so much more. It probably doesn't suit the agenda though ?

Our attack is the reason we are struggling this season.

I haven't seen many comments about Palhinha's involvement in the Man U goal. First there was the poor clearance direct to Fernandes and then he and Lukic together failed to stop the shot from the same player. Palhinha is easily our best player but he's not perfect either.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Arthur on November 09, 2023, 01:34:49 AMAm I meant to be the 'someone'? Or is this simply aimed at the forum in general?
Of course it was not aimed at you, but at all people who argued he had a better game than it was in reality. I still think Robinson could have done better for that goal, and it is completely fine if you disagree with me on that, that however, was never meant to be my main point, as you can see by reading my first reply in this thread. He had a poor game regardless of that goal, even if he had not played absolutely no part in that goal I would have still said he had a terrible game.

That being said, it can happen to anyone, and of course I am not writing him off, it might just be that he needs some rest to get back to his best. That is why I would start FBT in the next game.

Sting of the North

Just for the record, there is no "reality" in how well or not well Robinson played, since that is a subjective matter. There is a reality in what actually happened, but how all those moments and actions are assessed and valued are subjective. As such, if someone argued that he was better than you thought, that is equally based on reality.

I mean, there may definitely be that some ignores some mistakes and highlights some good stuff, and vice versa, but I think that it is prudent to be aware that it may equally be one's own perception that is flawed. Thus, I would personally be careful with equalling my own assessment with reality.

Personally I think Robinson had quite a poor game, but I am also aware that he, as a football player, has never been one of my favourites and I wouldn't be surprised if I am quicker to find faults in his game compared to some other players that I prefer.

MickTheBeard

It's only my opinion but Bassey plays left back for Nigeria aprox 46 times and only 5 at cb he's quick and if you his left peg can cross the ball perhaps an ideal replacement then a taller more composed and leader type to replace ream,their is a chance bowat on loan to the Austrian league is playing well they are fourth in the league plays regularly as well for Scotland under21s signed a new long contract in the summer,many lower league clubs wanted him on loan but he chose abroad,was on loan year before in the Dutch league bottom club plenty of practice.Stood out hense Austrian league arsenal have looked at him 21 in September perhaps a slightly younger new ream for bowat to learn from if  he can step up to speed of premier league this is what Tony khan should have been doing instead of men with tights.

WindyCity

Quote from: colinwhite on November 09, 2023, 10:15:44 AMridiculous to write off Robinson IMO. Glad MS is running the team !!°

Amen

FFC1987

Quote from: WindyCity on November 09, 2023, 03:30:38 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on November 09, 2023, 10:15:44 AMridiculous to write off Robinson IMO. Glad MS is running the team !!°

Amen

+1 - He's by no means perfect, but he's an essential part of the best aspects of our games keeping us competitive.

Carborundum

It's not a perfect lens, but did a player win his personal battle is my yardstick.  Robinson didn't just win his battle with Anthony, he owned him.  Gets more difficult when a fresh winger arrives, but a key reason Anthony was derided for having a stinker is the subject of this thread.

The failure to clear the ball at the end was a disappointing collective effort.

Robinson is amongst the least of our problems in my view.   

Drewry66

Quote from: Carborundum on November 09, 2023, 06:02:39 PMIt's not a perfect lens, but did a player win his personal battle is my yardstick.  Robinson didn't just win his battle with Anthony, he owned him.  Gets more difficult when a fresh winger arrives, but a key reason Anthony was derided for having a stinker is the subject of this thread.

The failure to clear the ball at the end was a disappointing collective effort.

Robinson is amongst the least of our problems in my view.   

Agree with this re Anthony and this is why he is still so important to us. Not just Anthony...he comes up against world class wingers week after week and I don't really remember any dominating him defensively. Saka who seems to dominate most rarely gets much out of him from my memory for example. He is top of the table in the other 14 stats for interceptions as well. He covers for Reams lack of pace. Generally then he offers a hell of a lot defensively. I like the look of Ballo Toure but not been blown away and we are yet to see what he's like defensively against world class wingers.

I get as frustrated as anyone with Robinsons shocking crossing and wish he could improve it. Id definitely be trying Ballo Toure for 20 mins if we need a goal. I like others would love to see Bassey given a go there as well when we get some defenders back. He looked class there for Rangers with his pace and power and got a number of assists.

Andy S

In case people forget there is no such thing as a perfect footballer. As Match of the day point out every week. Players make mistakes and give away chances. It happens. It doesn't make a player a bad footballer. I remember a guy Calle Gary Elkins Who used to play for us to be honest he was not capable of a lot however he was purchased by Wimbledon and went on to have a good career there. That is the same with our own players here today. Football is a team game and should a player make mistakes there should be others ready to cover for them. It's not always the player that makes the mistake who is at fault. For me Jedi is a good player. He works hard and defends well

Al-Fayed

I thought he was defensively very suspect in the Championship but improved dramatically when we got promoted against better opposition. He stopped tearing forwards as much but since his crossing has always been poor that didn't have nearly as much of a downside as the upside of the improvement in his defending.  Teams are less physical in the Premier League and that seems to suit him better. Don't really understand the criticism of his defending. Every defender will cock up occasionally just as every striker will miss a golden opportunity from time to time. You can't reasonably expect perfection.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Just giving this thread a bump...

Twig

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on March 16, 2024, 08:42:34 PMJust giving this thread a bump...

That's the second old thread you've resurrected, can I ask what your motives are?

Somerset Fulham

Willham

I'm sure I'm somewhere in one of these, I've always been a fan, I've always likened him to andy robertson.