watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Exciting times ahead?

Started by Coast94, March 17, 2024, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coast94

A purely hypothetical post, but looking ahead to next season, our potential XI could look something like:

Leno
Robinson, Bassey, Tosin, Castagne
Lukic, Palhinha
New winger, New attacking midfielder, Iwobi
Muniz

It's hard to say who will come and go at this point. If - and a big if - we can somehow keep our key players (Robinson, Tosin, Palhinha...), it would be huge. This being the case, the squad probably wouldn't need too much surgery.

Our priority should be to sign a top left winger to replace or phase out the excellent Willian and an attacking midfielder as an upgrade on Andreas. He has lots of admirable qualities, but it seems an obvious area to improve. We'll then need to add depth in key areas, such as fullback given Tete and Ballo-Toure may both leave. I'd also like us to target players with a slightly younger age profile and integrate some of our promising youth players. Stansfield, Godo, Harris, Bowat and Wickens have all had productive loan spells.

My point is, we're close to something special under Silva. This is without doubt our strongest group of players in years, led by a high-quality manager. If the club get it right, we have the potential to push for higher honours. It's in our hands.

Drewry66

Been thinking exactly this. Next year could be massive and the way we are shaping up is a real incentive for the likes of Tosin, Joao and any others if offers are made to stay. Even if Joao were to go we would be getting a massive fee to reinvest and we've won 3 games this season without him. I just feel we have a good chance of keeping him as just really not sure which big club is out there stomping up £60+ million for a 29 year old? Bayern are the only ones really and a lot of talk they have moved on. I hope he retires with us. 

The biggest key is Tosin as the only vital cog not tied down. If he signs that is £20 million saved on not having to replace him. Tete we will extend if he doesn't sign and id imagine BDR will sign without too much trouble. Reckon Willian will extend as well.

At the mo we have two top draw players in every position and I think our second team would comfortably make mid table as well which says it all really. Every other year Marco has gone most of summer with half a squad (which he has hated of course as stated publicly). We have built all foundations now however.

Not sure on budgets if these new rules come in but under old we have finally got rid of the championship year so allowable losses are higher. The last two years have been incredible in terms of financial management for how we have improved the team with net spend unbelievably low. After June 30th got to be in a brilliant position for the three year period. Don't know who is doing it all and don't really care but our transfer business is proving to be brilliant with players coming so good. In theory then with two well managed years we should have a lot to spend this summer.

So if we keep everyone we already have two top players in every position prob apart from left back assuming FBT goes back. I'd just get another loan in there. Then have a significant budget for perhaps 3 players.

Completely agree that we should go for two young huge talents for left wing and the 10 to challenge/replace one day Willian/AP. I'd still be considering a striker. Love Raul but he's 33 and is on huge wages. If we get an offer for him I'd consider selling if we can find a younger striker to really compete with and push Muniz. If we could get the likes Pavlidis, Giminez or possibly even Jonas Wind for a reasonable fee Muniz has shown enough for me to be confident moving Raul on.

I know this will be unpopular but for me Stansfield and Godo have a load of promise but are they at the level to push us on or even of our current players? I just don't think they are yet. Godo looks really exciting but championship loan for me to show what he can do there. Watched a fair few Birmingham matches this year to watch Jay. Playing in a really poor Birmingham team which doesn't help but pretty anonymous in many games and got to remember the championship is just nowhere near prem level. When he does get in good positions his finishing is brilliant. If we add the above just not sure at this point how he gets in the team. Perhaps if we are that confident we are not going down we loan him to a promoted prem team to see what he can do at this level where he'll play more?

Coast94

Quote from: Drewry66 on March 17, 2024, 10:59:42 AMBeen thinking exactly this. Next year could be massive and the way we are shaping up is a real incentive for the likes of Tosin, Joao and any others if offers are made to stay. Even if Joao were to go we would be getting a massive fee to reinvest and we've won 3 games this season without him. I just feel we have a good chance of keeping him as just really not sure which big club is out there stomping up £60+ million for a 29 year old? Bayern are the only ones really and a lot of talk they have moved on. I hope he retires with us. 

The biggest key is Tosin as the only vital cog not tied down. If he signs that is £20 million saved on not having to replace him. Tete we will extend if he doesn't sign and id imagine BDR will sign without too much trouble. Reckon Willian will extend as well.

At the mo we have two top draw players in every position and I think our second team would comfortably make mid table as well which says it all really. Every other year Marco has gone most of summer with half a squad (which he has hated of course as stated publicly). We have built all foundations now however.

Not sure on budgets if these new rules come in but under old we have finally got rid of the championship year so allowable losses are higher. The last two years have been incredible in terms of financial management for how we have improved the team with net spend unbelievably low. After June 30th got to be in a brilliant position for the three year period. Don't know who is doing it all and don't really care but our transfer business is proving to be brilliant with players coming so good. In theory then with two well managed years we should have a lot to spend this summer.

So if we keep everyone we already have two top players in every position prob apart from left back assuming FBT goes back. I'd just get another loan in there. Then have a significant budget for perhaps 3 players.

Completely agree that we should go for two young huge talents for left wing and the 10 to challenge/replace one day Willian/AP. I'd still be considering a striker. Love Raul but he's 33 and is on huge wages. If we get an offer for him I'd consider selling if we can find a younger striker to really compete with and push Muniz. If we could get the likes Pavlidis, Giminez or possibly even Jonas Wind for a reasonable fee Muniz has shown enough for me to be confident moving Raul on.

I know this will be unpopular but for me Stansfield and Godo have a load of promise but are they at the level to push us on or even of our current players? I just don't think they are yet. Godo looks really exciting but championship loan for me to show what he can do there. Watched a fair few Birmingham matches this year to watch Jay. Playing in a really poor Birmingham team which doesn't help but pretty anonymous in many games and got to remember the championship is just nowhere near prem level. When he does get in good positions his finishing is brilliant. If we add the above just not sure at this point how he gets in the team. Perhaps if we are that confident we are not going down we loan him to a promoted prem team to see what he can do at this level where he'll play more?
Pretty much agree with all this. I'm hoping a few of the kids are ready to play a part in the squad next season. It's encouraging that many have been loaned out, and got more first team football under their belts. Ultimately though, I trust Marco's judgement.

SimonDaviesEnjoyer

I think we may end up having to replace Robinson this summer. If Rodrigo keeps banging them in I can also see a club like Spurs trying to buy him. Hopefully not, but it always seems to be the case when our players start performing very well.

filham

Our big problem is that the big clubs are hovering like vultures for our best players and they have masses of money and the attraction of European fotball to offer.

Jim©

who knows what players will require replacing- that's the key to this whole question. If we end up having to replace Tosin, Palhinha, Robinson (and a new LB replacement), and one or two others who may go (Tete, BDR, Raul has even been mentioned) we'll have a large rebuild to do.

However, if Godo and Stansfield can come in a make a positive impact, what a saving those two could be. We'll start to look like a much more attractive proposition to players too, firstly if we're close to European football and secondly as we've established ourselves after years of yo-yoing.

Eton White

Quote from: SimonDaviesEnjoyer on March 17, 2024, 03:17:09 PMI think we may end up having to replace Robinson this summer. If Rodrigo keeps banging them in I can also see a club like Spurs trying to buy him. Hopefully not, but it always seems to be the case when our players start performing very well.

I think you're right about Robinson - he's definitely on a lot of clubs' radars now after his performances this season.

Muniz will probably attract attention too if he continues this form. However, I'm not sure he'd necessarily want to jump ship at this stage. He seems to really be enjoying his time at Fulham.
Hopefully he stays anyway.

Wolf

Looks to me like a decision needs to be made between BDR and Stansfield, it wont be both.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Wolf on March 18, 2024, 10:14:35 AMLooks to me like a decision needs to be made between BDR and Stansfield, it wont be both.

Marco said that BDR has an offer on the table, I think?

FFC1987

I think the potential of real excitement for me lies with whether Tosin signs a new deal. Having a backline to build off with Leno, Tosin, Bassey, Robinson and Castagne/Tete, having played consistently together for a season, rolling into another, just feels like such a strong platform to spring into next season on. Not to mention if Muniz continues his crazy ascension. But a year all playing fluidly together, on longish term contracts, it would feel like a window we're heading into, looking only for stronger replacements, rather than important team replacing players going elsewhere.

itombomb

Agree with a lot of what people have said, particularly if Toisin resigns (and Willian does too).

I think our priority should be a really high quality attacker, either a LW to compete with Willian or someone to displace Pereira (ideally someone who can do both).

The other exciting thing, is that for the first time in a long time, we have the ability to plan. It is a real opportunity to invest in some young players who can be loaned out/developed - like Brighton have been able to do the last few years.

Surlyc

Ideally we can find someone like Iwobi, with the ability to cover across the front line. Worth paying £20m again if we can find that person.

I would not be too desperate for a third striker now - unless we find an incredible deal, I think we should include Stansfield and save the money.

Aside from that the only signing we need to make is a back up left back and replacing any players that end up leaving (Palhinha, Tosin or Robinson seeming the most likely departures).

wback

I love Robinson, he's perfect for us. Can I see him at a top 6 club? Not quite tbh, as his final ball isn't always all that (ok, he could have had two assists on Sat, not just one).

The only other team I ever really worry about is West Ham, because they can spend money, play in Europe and have a big stadium. I don't think they need him, but if they offered £35m, I could see it happening.

Frankly, I think he's our player as long as we have this manager, and unless he sorts the final ball or has a big drop off in form, we'll continue to love the hell out of him.

Finnans Right Peg

If Marco stays for next season ,I would be surprised if we loose Tosin Palinha and robinson all in the same window

H4usuallysitting

If we sell Robinson, couldn't we replace him with Ballo Toure, who I understand could be available for around £3m

Jim©

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 19, 2024, 10:53:37 PMIf we sell Robinson, couldn't we replace him with Ballo Toure, who I understand could be available for around £3m

Not sure how up for that he'll be after spending much of the season on the bench and not even making the bench the last couple of games.
I've seen mention before (and not knocking the guy as he's genius) that he doesn't pay much attention to players not in the main group so not sure what Ballo Toure would make of him. Any time he's played, he's looked very, very good.