more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This day 1959 ,

Started by bobbo, March 29, 2024, 10:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Who was at the cottage this day 1959            Fulham 6   Sheff weds 2

I was sitting on top of the tea hut at the back Hammersmith end .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

St Eve

Quote from: bobbo on March 29, 2024, 10:23:13 AMWho was at the cottage this day 1959            Fulham 6   Sheff weds 2

Great memories and a good seat. Now everyone moans that we have a restaurant, bar and swimming pool in our new stand!

WhiteJC

unfortunately not me as I would have been 5 months old, fairly certain that Dad would have been at the game though

bog

I was stood at the Hammersmith End so saw Jimmy Hill score three of the goals. In my bible the crowd is given as a straight 40,000. Two more games over Easter: the next day a 0-3 win at Grimsby (25,500) and on the Monday a 2-2 at Hillsborough in front of 32,170. Three games in four days in front of a total of 97,000 fans.

Thank you and good night

ffcne

Good Friday 1964 (March 27th) Craven Cottage v Manchester Utd .
My first ever Fulham game age 6
2-2 Draw.
41,769 Attendance

FFC365

As a 10 year old I was lifted over heads and onto the touchline for the second half, thanks for posting, very special memories.

cmg

Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Bentley, Lowe, Leggat, Hill, Cook, Haynes, Chamberlain.

Still my favourite line-up.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

As a teenager I was sitting in the Director's Box with my father who was Mayor of Fulham. A certain Director (name beginning with W) could not stand Jimmy Hill and was on his back every time that he touched the ball. By the time he had scored his third goal the director shut up!
It is interesting that in these days of complaints about too much football we played Sheffield Wednesday on 27th 6-2, Grimsby at home on the 28th 3-0, and Shef Weds again away on Monday 30th 2-2. I was at all three games.
There was a real North - South rivalry that season between us and Wednesday who had Albert Quixall in their side and many people in Sheffield considered him to be better than Haynes. We all know the answer to that.

filham

Quote from: cmg on March 29, 2024, 01:36:36 PMMacedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Bentley, Lowe, Leggat, Hill, Cook, Haynes, Chamberlain.

[/quote

I remember all of those players as if they were on the field yesterday.
We really don't see characters like that nowadays.

gang

Quote from: cmg on March 29, 2024, 01:36:36 PMMacedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Bentley, Lowe, Leggat, Hill, Cook, Haynes, Chamberlain.

That's the team that played in my first game.

bog

Seven of the team are still in my best line up.

Colton F.C.

Tony Macedo still going at 86 according to Wiki.  Does anyone have any recent news? I don't believe he has been invited for half-time deification.  Living in South Africa would make this difficult, but there is Zoom.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/goalkeeper-tony-macedo.html?sortBy=relevant

JimOG

Quote from: bobbo on March 29, 2024, 10:23:13 AMWho was at the cottage this day 1959            Fulham 6   Sheff weds 2

Yep I was there too with my sister and dad. Then we had to go to the Servite Church for a really boring 2 hours+ ritual but I imagined practicing my headers between the altar pillars. Great times...

Peabody

Yes, I was there and I seem to remember that most of crowd were on Jimmy's back, because he had a real goal drought, well he shut them up didn't he? I sometimes mix this game up with when we beat Wednesday for our first game under lights at the Cottage,

Fernhurst

Sixty five years ago, Gawd Blimey Bobo how do you expect us to remember that long ago?
Here are my shaky memories.
I was in the Enclosure aged 10 ish with my older Brother, in front of us was a coalman who had come straight from his round covered in coal dust and complete with leather cap and back protector, he didn't give Jimmy Hill a moments peace in the first half culminating in "send yourself Hill" as Jimmy trooped off forlornly at halftime.
I do believe (?) Jimmy got his three goals all in the second half!!
Did our brilliant win catapult us above Sheffield Wednesday?
Yes, my absolute favourite line up also.

Wonderful memories, thanks for posting Bobo.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

cmg

Quote from: Colton F.C. on March 29, 2024, 03:56:35 PM

Tony Macedo still going at 86 according to Wiki.  Does anyone have any recent news? I don't believe he has been invited for half-time deification.  Living in South Africa would make this difficult, but there is Zoom.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/goalkeeper-tony-macedo.html?sortBy=relevant

If I remember rightly Tony returned to CC around 10 years ago. Looked very fit and sported an impressive moustache. Recieved an appropriate welcome.

It was a classy line-up for a (shortly not-to-be) 2nd tier side with 5 full internationals, 2 future internationals and a 'should have been' international (the aforementioned Mr Macedo who was, at the time, keeping the same-aged Gordon Banks out of the England u23 side). Even Jimmy Hill was an England B cap.

SG

I remember very clearly my dad and uncle going but not letting me as a very young lad as they were expecting a very large crowd. I remember listening to live commentary of the 2-2 game on the radio on Easter Monday.
Funny the things you do remember

Fernhurst

If I remember rightly Tony returned to CC around 10 years ago. Looked very fit and sported an impressive moustache. Recieved an appropriate welcome.

Yes, a lovely warm welcome as he made his way out on the pitch from The Riverside. We played Bolton that day and won by one goal but we absolutely outplayed them. Nolan in particular was raging as Bullard and Murphy played keep ball.
Tony still my favourite keeper of all time. It was his first visit back in 30 years
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

LittleErn

I missed that game as I was playing for my work team. Perhaps that's why Jimmy Hill played so well - I wasn't there to laugh at his efforts. To be fair, EFFORT was his middle lane. Couldn't fault him for the amount of running he put in - covered every blade of grass in most games.