Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (25.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 25, 2011, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Images/MainNews/NewsPages/Players/AJohnson/AJClint.jpg

Top Form

Monday 24th January 2011

Fulham recorded their fourth victory in six games with a convincing two-nil win over Stoke City at the Cottage on Saturday and striker Andrew Johnson praised his Team's impressive start to 2011 ahead of Wednesday night's match against Liverpool at Anfield.

"It was a great result against Stoke," Johnson told fulhamfc.com. "In the last two or three weeks it's been coming together and we're looking good.

"It was always going to be a hard, physical game against Stoke but you've got to roll your sleeves up and I think our football shone through on Saturday.

"Three points in the Premier League is satisfying no matter who it is against. It's such a tight League and we're delighted to have taken seven points from three games."

After netting his first goal of the season against Wigan Athletic the previous weekend, Johnson put in another fine shift against Stoke on Saturday and the striker is clearly now feeling close to his best again.

"That was probably one of my better performances on Saturday and I'm pretty much fully fit now," Johnson explained. 

"It takes a bit of time after being out for 14-15 months. It slowly started to come back and getting the goal against Wigan was like getting a monkey off my back.

"I've had a few niggles here and there as I've been coming back but I think I'm injury free now and clear to get a good run of games. My touch is getting better and my runs are getting better and I'm feeling sharper game by game. I've just got to continue doing that.

"I think going onto the pitch worrying about my knee or anything went four or five weeks ago when I first came back. I don't think about my knee at all when I'm out on the pitch."

Mark Hughes' side are back in action on Wednesday night at Anfield before Sunday's FA Cup clash against Spurs at the Cottage| and Johnson and company are evidently full of confidence ahead of two massive games this week. 

"It's a big game on Wednesday night against Liverpool at Anfield," said Johnson. "We'll be looking to build on what we achieved on Saturday against Stoke - it's time to kick on now."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/AJStokeReaction.aspx#ixzz1C2KYrvYf

White Noise

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/city-mauling-sparked-us-johnson-1155009.html

City mauling sparked us - Johnson

Last Updated: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:42

Andy Johnson claims Fulham's 4-1 home defeat against Manchester City in November helped spark their revival in fortunes this season.

The striker, who made his first start of the New Year in Saturday's 2-0 home win against Stoke following almost a year of injury problems, recalls how boss Mark Hughes tore a strip off the Fulham players after his former club dismantled them at Craven Cottage on November 21.

And, despite defeats to Arsenal, West Ham and Tottenham since then, Johnson feels they have steadily improved as they now sit four points clear of the relegation places in the Premier League.

He said: "We had a bit of a bad time against Man City - but we have worked on it.

"The new manager has his own theories and he's changed how I play a little bit - but you know those sort of things are going to happen. It was never going to be the same as it was under Roy Hodgson."

White Noise

Fulham v Chelsea tickets

Barclays Premier League

Monday 14th February

Kick-Off 20:00

Tickets are selling fast for the Whites' upcoming match against current Barclays Premier League Champions Chelsea. Secure your seat now and don't miss out on this SW6 derby under floodlights.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  On sale (Max 4 Tickets)
Fulham Club Members On sale (Max 4 Tickets)
Previous Purchasers On sale (Max 2 Tickets)
General Sale On sale (Max 2 tickets) Putney End only
Loyalty points: 2 (more info)| 

Buy tickets now| 

Hospitality Matchday Experiences
We have a limited number of places remaining for those wanting to enjoy the ultimate matchday experience on our River Thames Boat Cruise departing from the City.

Find out more about hospitality available or call 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) to book your place.†

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 020 7384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category A prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade A)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £60   £45   £30 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £55   £40   £25 
Hammersmith   All Blocks   £49   £38   £22 
Putney   Neutral   £49   £49   £49 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £50   £38   £22 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £45   £30   £20 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/ChelseaHome.aspx#ixzz1C2bDd6nL

White Noise

LIVERPOOL v Fulham: Skipper Gerrard back from suspension to lead Reds

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:11 AM on 25th January 2011

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard returns to the side against Fulham at Anfield on Wednesday after serving a three-match ban.

It is a boost for the club following the away win at Wolves on Saturday - Kenny Dalglish's first victory since becoming caretaker manager.

Boost: Gerrard is set to take his place in the team after missing three games

Dalglish may be tempted to freshen things up and give a run-out to Joe Cole, who was an unused substitute at the weekend.

Milan Jovanovic could also return to the squad after missing the match at Molineux because of illness.

Provisional squad: Reina, Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard, Kuyt, Cole, Rodriguez, Torres, Gulacsi, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Poulsen, Shelvey, Jovanovic, Ngog, Spearing, Pacheco. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350300/LIVERPOOL-v-Fulham-Steven-Gerrard-lead-Reds.html#ixzz1C2cm4XoT

White Noise

Fulham fans make Gera plea

By Jacob Murtagh

Jan 25 2011

Zoltan Gera

FULHAM fans have pleaded with boss Mark Hughes to keep Zoltan Gera at Craven Cottage.

The wantaway winger could leave SW6 in the next few days, according to his agent, Vladan Filipovic.

Gera's deal is due to expire in the summer, and the player is unlikely to reach the number of appearances required to trigger a contract extension.

Hughes is keen to keep hold of the 31-year-old, who is attracting interest from Greek giants Panathinaikos, but the Whites risk losing the player for nothing if they don't sell this month.

However, fans made their feelings plain during Saturday's victory over Stoke, singing the Hungarian's name throughout the game, and are reluctant to lose last season's player of the year.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/25/fulham-fans-make-gera-plea-82029-28049318/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1C2p06mKM

White Noise

High Regard

Tuesday 25th January 2011

Brede Hangeland has been arguably as important to the Fulham cause as anybody in recent years.

At present his influence may not quite reach the same heights as some of our prominent legends of the past, but he has surely done enough to suggest that in decades to come his name will be held in levelled regard.

The memory of the great Johnny Haynes remains etched in the minds of all those lucky enough to have witnessed the Maestro play, while the contributions of the likes of Tosh Chamberlain, Bobby Robson, Graham Leggat, Fred Callaghan and George Cohen induce words of total admiration from an era in which Whites fans were spoilt for heroes of choice.

In the 1970s the Club had Alan Mullery, Les Barrett, Les Strong and the captivating triumvirate of Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh, while the 1980s gave us the estimable Roger Brown, Ray Lewington and all-time record goal scorer Gordon Davies.

Simon Morgan and Sean Farrell gave the Fulham faithful hope during the turbulent early 1990s, and the performances of the likes of Chris Coleman, Lee Clark and Rufus Brevett among others did much to usher in an exciting new millennium.

The goals of Louis Saha encapsulated the first steps of the Noughties, however, it has been a player at the other end of the pitch that has been the embodiment of our recent progression.

Hangeland has been a formidable presence for the Whites ever since he bounded straight into a relegation scrap in January 2008, and since, he has grown to become one of the Premier League's most accomplished performers.

"I'm not someone who likes to be under the spotlight," admits Brede. "But of course, it is nice to be well thought of. Ever since I first came in I have just tried to give my best and do all I can to help the team.

"I will have been here for three years this month, and as I have said before, an awful lot has happened in that time. This is a club with great traditions and one that conducts itself in the right way, so I'm very happy to have played my part in helping move things forward."

With his elegance and unflappable demeanour, not to mention a steely resilience, the captain of Norway, alongside central defensive partner Aaron Hughes, has done much to eradicate a once soft underbelly.

"When you play in England, or to put it more precisely, if you want to be a central defender in the Premier League, you have to stand up to certain challenges," he explains. "I'm aware that I am comfortable with the ball at my feet, but at the same time, when required I can be physical too.

"I just get on with it, whatever the situation may be. Sometimes teams can give you a bit more time on the ball, which gives me the chance to bring it out from the back and look for a pass. Other times, you don't get that opportunity."

At the start of the campaign Hangeland said that he expected the season ahead to be a tight one; a consequence of a number of teams strengthening their squads and looking for their own progression.

What has transpired since has been fascinating with statistics and form seemingly counting for very little this season. As it stands, just five points separate Fulham from seventh-placed Blackburn Rovers.

"It's just such a competitive league this year – that is evident in every game that is played," highlights Brede. "It's difficult to predict how games will go because everyone is capable of beating anyone.

"I believe that's a good thing - it certainly makes it more exciting. There have been times in the past when people have said that the Premier League was predictable, but that's not the case now.

"It's a fine line between a win and defeat. Of course, we would have liked to have more points at this stage, but because of the nature of the league this season it has been difficult.

"People have different ways of looking at it though. I'm not someone who pays too much attention to the league table - for me that time comes at the end of the season. You just have to give your focus to the next game and make sure that the performance is right."

A player that always leads by example, Hangeland has been an unqualified success on the banks of the Thames. Few read the game with such cool assurance, while fewer still are as effective at both ends of the pitch, the Norwegian contributing three goals so far this term.

"As a defender I am always going to say that first of all it is our job to keep the goals out," he says with a smile. "But if we can help make a difference in front of our opponents' goal too then that is great.

"Perhaps this season there has been more of a need, what with the injuries we have had to our forward players, so at times it has been important that some of the defenders chip in with goals.

"I have to admit, though, that I am looking forward to the day that we have all of our strikers back and fighting for a place. We know that will happen very soon, and that bodes well for the rest of the season."

The repute in which Hangeland is held in SW6 is quite apparent. He is also well thought of outside of Craven Cottage, and the current transfer window serves as another reminder of the respect he now commands.

Fortunately, Hangeland doesn't let the attention affect him, having grown accustomed to ignoring the endless rounds of transfer gossip that this time of year often brings.

"Speculation is just part of the game," he confirms. "And believe me when I say that I am used to it by now. I've said it before, but I am very happy here and want to continue to do all that I can to help this Club.

"To be honest, this transfer window has been a relaxing one for me, my name hasn't been mentioned that much, which does makes a change. But perhaps that means I haven't been playing very well?!"

Far from it in fact, for Hangeland is as indispensible as ever.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HangelandFeature.aspx#ixzz1C2pzLNUo

White Noise

http://www.kickoff.com/news/19877/kagisho-dikgacois-agent-wants-his-fulham-future-sorted-out.php

Agent 'hell-bent' resolving Dikgacoi's future

Posted: 2011-01-25 12:43

Kagisho Dikgacoi's agent has admits he is 'hell-bent' on resolving the 26-year-old's future at English Premier League side Fulham.  

The Bafana Bafana midfielder has played just five minutes for Mark Hughes' team this season but surprisingly saw his contract extended for another year earlier this month. And after he failed to make the match day squad for Saturday's win over Stoke City, agent Mike Makaab admits his concern that Dikgacoi continues to find himself out in the cold.  

"At the end of the day, the most important thing is the player's career – we are hell-bent on finding a solution," he says.

"We would be absolutely prepared for him to go to a Championship club for him to get some game-time "
- Mike Makaab

"KG has spoken to Mark (Hughes) and been told that he remains in his plans. But the fact they didn't sit down and talk before they extended the contract is strange."

Makaab adds: "When KG joined Fulham, it was clear at that point in time that they didn't know whether he could play in the Premier League. But he played 17 games in his first season and showed he could compete. This time, he's been on the pitch for five minutes against Wigan and that's it."

With Pitso Mosimane preparing to name his Bafana Bafana squad to face Burkina Faso in Rustenburg on February 9, Dikgacoi's place could well be under threat as a result. But with several clubs in the English Championship believed to have registered an interest in taking him on loan, Makaab hopes the former Golden Arrows captain may be thrown a lifeline.

He says: "We would be absolutely prepared for him to go to a Championship club for him to get some game-time. If he can do well then I'm sure Fulham will re-assess his future at the end of the season. But the point is if he stays at Fulham and doesn't play then what are you doing to a 26-year-old international player?"

Any deal would not necessarily have to be completed by the end of the January transfer window as clubs in the Championship can still loan players between February 8 and March 24.  

White Noise

Here To Be A Success

Welcome to Fulham, Steve. What have been your first impressions?

Well, the move was a long time coming really, because I was hoping to come here in the summer, but for a few reasons it didn't happen. So I'm really pleased that it was something that the Club looked at again and I'm delighted to finally be a Fulham player. This is a great place, with top facilities and a good group of players. There's a good team spirit and, as a result, I've managed to settle in very quickly.

Were you disappointed that the deal didn't go through at the start of the season?

I was, yes. A fee was agreed, but when Roy Hodgson left suddenly everything was a bit up in the air, but that's what happens when you get a change of personnel. I got my head down though and kept my fingers crossed that something would happen in the future – which it did.

It was reported that you had other options this January – why did you choose Fulham?

I can't deny the fact that the chance to move back south – back home – was a key factor. It wasn't only that though, because this is a Club with traditions; it's run fantastically well and has made excellent progress in recent years. Fulham are well-known for playing good football, and that suits me. It's all about different experiences in football, and this is one I'm very much looking forward to.

With thoughts that a move to Craven Cottage might take place at some point, have you followed the Club's progress this season?

Well, still being a Villa player I remained professional and concentrated on the job in hand with them, but I did keep an eye out for Fulham's results, but to be fair, I have done for a while because I'm good friends with Bobby Zamora. I think it's been a steady season so far, and I think the Club has been really unlucky at times – but they've played some decent football. I hope I can be part of that now and help them move up the table.

So how did Bobby sell life at Fulham to you?

To be honest, he didn't really have to. I've played at the Cottage a few times over the years and it's always been a good place to come. I managed to get to a few games here last season too, and the Juventus game made for an incredible evening. I knew a lot about the Club anyway and quite a few of the other players as well so no one had to sell Fulham to me, it sold itself in the way it is run off the pitch and the way they play on it.

Now you're here – what are your aims as a Fulham player?

Obviously, I don't expect to go straight into the team, it's going to be hard work, I know that, but when given the chance, I will give my all to stake a claim. There are a lot of good players here and there is a lot of competition for places in midfield, but I'm confident in my ability and I've come here to be a success.

Upon your arrival at the Club, the Manager said that this was a chance for you to get your career back on track. Would you agree?

I would, definitely. Since I moved from Chelsea to Villa it has been a bit stop-start for me, and it's fair to say that things haven't quite gone to plan. I've had a few injuries as well which was frustrating, because I've always been quite lucky on that front – fingers crossed. I played every game at Reading and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I was then given a fantastic chance at Chelsea and played a fair amount of games there, but now I'm looking to show what I can do again.

And you will be in good company, because a few of your new team-mates originally came here with similar aims and have since gone from strength-to-strength...

You're right, and that was another reason why I felt Fulham was the club for me. There are a few here that probably hadn't had the luck they had hoped for at their previous club, but have come here and gone on to be very successful. That shows what this place is all about and the opportunities that you are given. I believe that I will get the chance here and, hopefully, given that chance, I can prove myself and take it with both hands.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/SidwellQA.aspx#ixzz1C2rzUDv6

White Noise

Impact Man

Clint Dempsey took his goal tally to nine for the 2010/11 campaign with a brace last weekend against Stoke City at the Cottage. The American international gave Fulham the lead in the first-half when he converted Andrew Johnson's centre from close range before netting his second of the game from the spot, having won the penalty himself.

Fulham's usual penalty taker, Captain Danny Murphy, stepped aside allowing Dempsey to complete his brace.

"He's just playing with confidence at the moment," said Manager Mark Hughes as he reflected on Dempsey's performance. "He loves scoring goals and said that he was going to take it [the penalty]. We're delighted that it went in, it enabled us to see the game off very comfortably.

"He's been great for me since I've come here. He's always had an impact in almost every game he's been involved in. It's been a little bit hard on Zoltan Gera in fairness; it's probably affected him because I've chosen Clint before him on occasions. But because Clint's done so well for me, that happens."

The win against Stoke continues Fulham's fine run of form, with the Whites having won four of their last six games in all competitions.

"We're delighted with the way we're playing and the results we're getting," said Hughes. "We're more confident leading into games rather than having a bit of apprehension, because we weren't getting the results our performances deserved.

"We needed to get key personnel back and we needed to get points on the board. We were playing reasonably well, we all felt that but we weren't getting any results. We're always judged by results and obviously that wasn't good enough. We just needed a cutting edge and in recent games we've added that to our good play."

The Whites are next in action on Wednesday evening when they make the trip up to Anfield to face Liverpool. The Reds secured their first win under new boss Kenny Dalglish last weekend, courtesy of a 3-0 victory over Wolves at Molineux, and Hughes is anticipating a challenging encounter.

"They've had a change, Kenny Dalglish has gone in and he's a huge figure there," said the Fulham Manager. "Everybody seems to be back on board. Maybe it's not the easiest time to go there because everyone's on a high, but so are we and we're playing well away from home. We're picking up points and we don't concede many goals, so we can go there and play well because we know that we've got the ability to cause them problems."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/ConfidenceinClint.aspx#ixzz1C2sJ717D

White Noise

Bobby Will Bounce Back

If there is one player at Fulham that can truly appreciate the pain and frustration Bobby Zamora has felt over the past four months, it is his strike partner Andrew Johnson.

Having recovered from his own injury trauma to return to peak form in 2011, Johnson has clearly missed the England international, both on and off the pitch.   

"Bobby helped me when I was injured and was sending me texts all the time and I've done the same," Johnson told fulhamfc.com. "We're close mates on and off the field.

He's a top, top guy and he's a great character to have around theTraining Ground. The boys have missed him on and off the field."

Zamora's road to recovery is a path Johnson knows only too well, and as his strike partner nears the latter stages of his rehabilitation, AJ is now looking forward to forming a formidable strike force for Fulham in the near future.

"Once you've got through that middle period (of rehabilitation] and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you're back on the training field, you get through it.

"He's done the most difficult part of being in the gym for two or three months and now he's going to bounce back. He was in such great form [before his injury] and we've missed him dearly.

"He's not back training with the group yet and he's still doing his own stuff but we're looking forward to having him back. No one can really put a timescale on it but we're all looking forward to seeing him come back."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/AJonBobby.aspx#ixzz1C3HSuJjg

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/the-more-things-change-2/

The more things change...

Filed under: General — rich @ 12:45 pm

Just reading Jim White's excellent "Manchester United:  The biography" (no, really).    Dave Sexton, who taught Roy Hodgson, has just been dismissed:

For the players, though they liked the manager and admired his knowledge of the game, there was a sense of anticlimax, a feeling that somehow the voltage about the place had been reduced.  Training became less like playtime and more like being back in the classroom.  Lou Macari recalls one session in which Sexton spent an age explaining a complex choreographed move he wanted to put into effect at corners.  After failing to enthuse his enervated players into the routine, Sexton looked despairing.

"We're all shaking our heads at this point," recalls Macari.  "Then Big Gordon (McQueen) pipes up, "I've got an idea, Dave.  It's not as clever as yours, but you never know, it might work.  Why doesn't someone cross the ball, I get my big stupid head on it and put it in the back of the net then we can all love off home.""

Martin Edwards:  "It was very hard to do it, it really was, because Dave was such a very, very nice man and full of integrity," says Edwards.  "But it wasn't really happening, we weren't progressing and the crowd was getting restless.  They were.  But mostly I didn't feel the tradition was being upheld.  There is such thing as the United way.  That is the character of the club, and the supporters demand it.

Spooky.  Sexton had taught Hodgson at one point, and Hodgson certainly looked up to him.

White Noise

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/match-preview/2011/match-preview-fulham-h/

Match Preview: Fulham (H)

Kick Off: Wed 26th January 2011 at 8:00 pm
Anfield

Liverpool take on Fulham on Wednesday night, in a game rearranged from before Christmas when Liverpool was hit with an overnight snowstorm.

As a result of the postponement, and with some irony, the only Premier League team that Roy Hodgson did not get chance to manage the reds against is Fulham.

In the last ten years, the reds only spent one weekend out of the top 7 in the second half of the season.  This year, the club have never made it in that bracket, although if Liverpool can grab all three points they will move to 7th, 6 points behind Spurs in 5th and 9 points behind Chelsea in 4th.

Team News
Liverpool could welcome back Jovanovic in to the squad after the player missed the trip to Wolves due to illness.  Joe Cole is another option available to Dalglish as the King looks for his first win at Anfield in his second period of managership.  The reds only absentee is Jamie Carragher who is still out with injury.

The reds also see the return of Steven Gerrard – yet to play in a league game under Dalglish due to his 3 match suspension picked up at Old Trafford.

Fulham are without Zamora, Senderos, Etuhu and Briggs, with keeper Mark Schwarzer still involved in the Asian Cup.

Possible XI:

Liverpool: Reina; Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Kuyt, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Gerrard, Torres.

Fulham: Stockdale; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, A Johnson, Dembele.

Form
Whilst a Liverpool win would send the reds in to 7th, Fulham have the opportunity to leapfrog the reds if they manage victory.  After a difficult start for Mark Hughes, Fulham have hit a richer vein of form in recent weeks, picking up 10 points out of the last 18 available, compared with Liverpool's 7.

The reds however have good home form, picking up 13 points in the last 6 home games – a record scarred only by last week's draw against Everton and the defeat at the end of December to Wolves.

Fulham have a handy away record in recent months – avoiding defeat in 3 of their 6 away games.

History
The reds have only managed one victory over Fulham in the last 4 attempts at home and away, and the last two league games at Anfield have been 0-0 draws.

Fulham have never won at Anfield.

Odds

Liverpool start as favourites at 4/7. The draw is 3/1 and Fulham can be backed at 6/1.

Torres is a measly 3/1 for first goalscorer. Raul Meireles and Andy Johnson can both be priced at 10/1.

Torres first goal and a 3-0 victory for the reds can be had for a whopping 26/1.

White Noise

Pardew confident Nolan will return at Fulham

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Jan 25 2011

ALAN PARDEW is confident that his "lieutenant" Kevin Nolan will be back and feeling 100% at Fulham in eight days' time.

The Toon skipper was today shaking off the remaining effects of a throat infection on Newcastle's mid-season sunshine break in Portugal.

Pardew was keeping tabs on the latest transfers from his Faro base as the transfer window heads into its final week.

But he hopes that his inspirational leader Nolan is no longer feeling under the weather by the time the trip to Craven Cottage comes round.

Pardew told the Chronicle: "Kevin is such a big player for us.

"He's the lieutenant for Newcastle United as far as I'm concerned and he doesn't give up.

"That rubs off on the rest of the players. People like Kev, you have to play.

"Even if he's 85% or 90% he still plays because he's such a great influence.

"He's one of those. I like him because he's a great organiser of the team.

"He was exasperated at the end because we gifted Tottenham a goal in the 1-1 draw on Saturday.

"He's important to this group."

Pardew has shrugged off reports that 11-goal top scorer Andy Carroll will be out until April.

But with the Geordie striker due back either for Fulham or the home game with Arsenal, he admits he can't wait to see him back in action – along with Cheik Tiote, who will be back from suspension for the February 6 home clash with Arsenal.

Pardew said: "I want our star players back in the side.

"Cheik and Andy are star men for us and we want them back, even if the lads who came in for them did well."

Meanwhile, United will not risk any of their Academy starlets in tomorrow night's reserve clash with Manchester City.

The game at Hyde United's Ewen Fields comes just 24 hours before the Magpies' FA Cup Youth Cup clash with Grimsby Town at St James' Park on Thursday (7pm). Admission will be via the East Stand for the fourth-round match.

:: THE Chronicle understands that Birmingham City offered £1.5m for United striker Shola Ameobi – but the club swiftly turned the bid down.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/25/pardew-confident-nolan-will-return-at-fulham-72703-28049273/#ixzz1C3IPVMJp

White Noise

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_6699964,00.html

F365`s Top Ten Premier League Keepers

Posted 25/01/11 09:30

English keepers are rubbish, aren't they? We all know that. Well, not according to us, as we have three homegrown stoppers in our top five goalies doing their thing in the Premier League...

NB: This is based on a combination of form this season and general performance over the years. So bear that in mind before serving up your outraged abuse...

10 - Jussi Jaaskelainen
It might look a touch daft to include a keeper who, a mere 12 hours before this column is being (hastily re-) written, waved four goals in against a team struggling for form. Especially when Jaaskelainen should probably have done better with three of them. However, one bad evening does not undo a decade of excellent work by a keeper who has long been a favourite in F365 Towers. There is also plenty to be said for a man who has seemingly shown a fair degree of loyalty to Bolton, despite the offers of slightly shinier prospects that have no doubt come in over the years.

9 - Mark Schwarzer
Like Ben Foster at Birmingham, Fulham's below-par season thus far has been largely caused by worries in attack, rather than a leaky defence. Schwarzer could have been forgiven for being thrown into a right old tizz by the shenanigans surrounding the (admittedly rather dull) 'Will they, won't they' flirtation with Arsenal in the summer, which went right up until the final hours of the transfer window. However, despite this and suggestions that whipper-snapper David Stockdale could even take his place, Schwarzer got on with things, began performing in the same old manner and finally signed his new contract in December.

8 - Craig Gordon
It's been something of a turnaround for Gordon this season. A summer elbow injury meant the impressive Simon Mignolet started the season in goal, and such was the Belgian's form that even after Gordon returned to fitness, he had to bide his time and warm the bench for a few weeks. However, since returning to the number one spot, Gordon has looked like the keeper Roy Keane paid the ugly end of £9million for in 2007. At times in the intervening years the Scot hasn't looked worth anything near that price, but a string of phenomenal saves - particularly the instinctive stop from Zat Knight that did as much to earn Sunderland's 1-0 win over Bolton as Danny Welbeck's goal - have proved his worth this season.

7 - Ali Al-Habsi
The spanking handed out to Wigan by Arsenal at the weekend was Al-Habsi's season in microcosm. Sure, he let in three goals and Wigan lost, but it could've been so much worse. Al-Habsi, who started the summer as second-choice at Bolton, stepped in for the third game of the season after Chris Kirkland had shipped ten goals in the opening two games. At the time it looked like something of a punt by Roberto Martinez, but he clearly knew better. Al-Habsi has conceded 25 goals in his 19 appearances, which is perfectly respectable for a struggling club, especially considering the rotating cast of clownish centre-backs that have nominally been providing him with protection.

6 - Petr Cech
Ropey though Chelsea's form has been in the past couple of months, their 'goals against' column is still the joint-lowest in the Premier League. He may not be the keeper he was (a decline that has just as much to do with his calamitous performance against Turkey in 2008 as it does with his head injury), but Cech is still one of the most imposing stoppers in the Premier League.

5 - Paul Robinson
He still seems to have that odd trigger-movement/hop thing in his footwork that has seen a number of long-rangers fly past him over the years, and the ill-timed retirement from international football still sticks in the throat rather, but Robinson has been incredibly impressive this season. A couple of flying saves from Jerome Thomas in their win over West Brom on Sunday were the latest in his canon of fine stops. For a season or two either side of his departure from Spurs, Robinson looked as if his best years were behind him, but now it seems they could be yet to come.

4 - Edwin van der Sar
With their defence, Manchester United have rarely needed anything more than a solid keeper between their sticks. And Van Der Sar is the very definition of solid, cutting his errors to an absolute minimum and providing the quiet reassurance that no doubt helps Vidic, Ferdinand et al do their jobs so well. Interestingly, if this means anything to anyone, Times scribe Patrick Barclay picked Van Der Sar as the best United keeper of the Premier League era, over the seemingly unimpeachable god of goalies, Peter Schmeichel.

3 - Ben Foster
Rotten they may be at present, but Birmingham's problems have largely been at the other end of the pitch. The drubbing at Manchester United aside, shoeings have been few and far between for the team fourth bottom of the table. Plenty of credit can be given to the centre-half pairing of Scott Dann and Roger Johnson (although it will be interesting to see how they fare without the former for the rest of the season), but Foster is maturing into an excellent keeper.

2 - Joe Hart
There's something about Hart that just exudes class. His is an immensely reassuring presence in goal for both Manchester City and England, so much so that one forgets he is still only 23. His occasional errors can be excused/explained by his youth, and perhaps more importantly given that keepers do not tend to reach their peak until their early thirties, his best may be years ahead of him. In a team that cost hundreds of millions, arguably City's most important player cost roughly what Yaya Toure earns in three weeks.

1 - Pepe Reina
Another to file under 'Where would they be without him?' Sure, Reina is prone to the occasional slapstick error, but he has saved Liverpool many more points than he has cost. A much underrated element of Reina's game is his ability to start counter-attacks with his bullet-arm. Liverpool's problem is that they often don't have enough pace in their team to take advantage, but perhaps with Kenny Dalglish's new gung-ho ways, that will become more threatening. He is also clearly just a good guy to have around. He appears settled in at a club that - based on current league form and European involvement - he is too good for, he comes across as sensible and considered in interviews, and at a very basic level the almost child-like enthusiasm and passion he shows is heart-warming.

Nick Miller

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25012011/58/premier-league-matchpack-liverpool-v-fulham.html

Liverpool v Fulham Preview: Fernando Torres Holds Key to Reds' Revival

25/1/2011 9:09 AM GMT

By Chris Brereton

PREMIER LEAGUE: ANFIELD WEDNESAY JANUARY 26, 2011. KICK OFF 2000 GMT

Fulham will visit Liverpool cursing December's bad weather and the return of Kenny Dalglish to Anfield.

The arctic conditions last month ensured this match was originally postponed and back then, in the Roy Hodgson days, Fulham may have fancied their chances of at least securing a point against a Liverpool side that looked uninterested and disjointed.

However, fast forward a month and the outlook at Anfield is quite different.

Dalglish has replaced Hodgson at Liverpool and given the club a huge shot in the arm in terms of confidence and morale.

Although he has only won one of his first four games in charge, the King is back and it has had a massive impact on the Liverpool squad as the brilliant 3-0 victory at Wolves at the weekend underlined.

Fulham are yet to really click under Mark Hughes and too often have seemed to be a different side to the one that reached the Europa League final this season although they have shown recent signs of improvement.

They are hovering at the wrong end of the table and need to start picking points up quickly. However, the Dalglish factor means it seems unlikely that they will start that mission on Merseyside.

Form Guide: Liverpool won at Molineux on Saturday to underline they are a better side than their current league position suggests but Fulham are unbeaten in their last four games and come into this contest on the back of their 2-0 victory over Stoke City at the weekend.

Key Match-up: Fernando Torres v Brede Hangeland: Torres looks back to his best at the moment and Hangeland - a former Liverpool target under Hodgson - will have his work cut out to try and keep the Spaniard happy. But the Norwegian defender is no idiot and will be hoping to do just that, as well as provide a goal threat from set-pieces.

Odds: Liverpool 8-15, Fulham 8-1, Draw 6-1

Tweeter Facebook FourSquare iPhoneLIVERPOOL:
Dalglish has been effusive in his praise for Torres - but is still convinced that he can get better.

Torres is starting to look like the striker of old and looks far hungrier than the bored looking passenger he was during Hodgson's reign.

Dalglish is delighted with his recent progress yet maintains that he can never stop learning and improving.

He said: "Certainly since I have come in here he has been nothing short of fantastic for us in the way he has applied himself in training and on the pitch.

"Apart from his goals, he's worked tirelessly up front to try and help us. I can only - and will only - assess what he's done since we've come in, and we've been absolutely delighted with him and the other players as well. I hope his best is yet to come.

"Fernando comes into the same bracket as many others - that they're doing better now than they were before and more like their old selves than they were before, which is a great credit to them."

After tasting his first victory as manager at the weekend, Dalglish has also praised the collective spirit at Anfield and is hopeful that it can only improve the longer he is in charge.

He added: "When things aren't going as well as they could do for a football club and for individuals, it's very difficult to turn it around - but they've turned it around and it's great credit to them."

"As I've said before, we stick as one. We need the fans help at times and we've got to help them at times. If we go forward together, we should be all right.

"Together, we will move forward - as individuals we won't get anywhere, so we'll stick together as a unit and will concentrate on our football club and see what benefit that brings us."

Strategy: Get the ball to Torres. The Spaniard is on fire at the moment and looks like a new-born player under Dalglish. With Steven Gerrard back from suspension, Torres will be even more confident of top-notch service and Gerrard, Maxi Rodriguez, Dirk Kuyt and Raul Meireles should do everything they can to get Torres through on goal.

Injury Update: Jamie Carragher (shoulder) is Liverpool's only real absentee as he has a shoulder problem. Paul Konchesky has been ill but is expected to be fit.

FULHAM
Hughes is heading to Anfield with renewed confidence after his side recorded four wins in their last six games.

Hughes was under pressure to halt the Cottagers' slide towards to bottom three but has stemmed those poor results.

He is now hoping Fulham maintain their good form while welcoming back players such as Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora to full fitness.

He told the club's website: "We're delighted with the way we're playing and the results we're getting.

"We're more confident leading into games rather than having a bit of apprehension, because we weren't getting the results our performances deserved.

"We needed to get key personnel back and we needed to get points on the board. We were playing reasonably well, we all felt that but we weren't getting any results.

"We're always judged by results and obviously that wasn't good enough. We just needed a cutting edge and in recent games we've added that to our good play."

And, mindful of the Dalglish effect, he added: "Liverpool have had a change. Kenny Dalglish has gone in and he's a huge figure there. Everybody seems to be back on board.

"Maybe it's not the easiest time to go there because everyone's on a high, but so are we and we're playing well away from home.

"We're picking up points and we don't concede many goals, so we can go there and play well because we know that we've got the ability to cause them problems."

Strategy: Hughes is unlikely to change a winning formation and is likely to stick with the 4-4-2 system that was used to beat Stoke City 2-0. Andrew Johnson will partner Dembele in attack while Steve Sidwell could make his first Fulham start in place of Dickson Etuhu, who has a hamstring injury.

Injury Update: Euthu is ruled out with his problem while Zamora is not quite ready to return to the first team squad. Philippe Senderos is sidelined with a calf problem

White Noise

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR
Manchester City to Real Madrid
THE INSIDER says: 4/5

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350364/Emmanuel-Adebayor-heading-Real-Madrid--The-Insider.html#ixzz1C424K6ur

It is the deal that Jose Mourinho has wanted and now he looks to have won his battle with the Real Madrid hierarchy he hopes they can conclude business.

Adebayor has been courted by many clubs this window but the figures for the 26-year-old have made negotiations difficult.

Tottenham, Liverpool, Fulham and Everton all showed interest but City did not want to do any of the Premier League rivals any favours and their owner insisted that if the Togo international was to go clubs had to pay up.
Monaco came close to agreeing a £9million transfer and £100,000 a week tax free but ultimately the deal didn't fit Adebayor.
He held out for Madrid and they will today look to agree a loan deal until the end of the season with a permanent in the summer. Ruud van Nistelrooy will not be happy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350364/Emmanuel-Adebayor-heading-Real-Madrid--The-Insider.html#ixzz1C40hi7c6

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6700986,00.html

Kakuta in Fulham medical

Hughes close to landing Chelsea starlet

By Pete O'Rourke

Last updated: 25th January 2011   

Sky sources understand Chelsea forward Gael Kakuta is undergoing a medical at West London rivals Fulham ahead of a move to Craven Cottage.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes revealed last week that he was interested in taking the highly-rated Frenchman on loan for the remainder of the season.

Kakuta has been unable to force his way into Carlo Ancelotti's first-team plans as a regular, making just four starts this season.

Ancelotti is open to the idea of loaning out Kakuta as he looks for the player to gain some more valuable first-team experience.

The move has stepped closer with Fulham now putting the skilful forward through a medical as they look to tie up a deal for the 19-year-old.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/25/2322582/diego-maradona-manchester-citys-owners-allow-carlos-tevez-to

Diego Maradona: Manchester City's owners allow Carlos Tevez to call the shots & I rejected an offer to take Mark Hughes' job at Fulham

Football legend airs outspoken views

25 Jan 2011 14:49:00

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Diego Maradona has mocked Manchester City's Abu Dhabi owners for allowing Carlos Tevez to call the shots at the club.
The Argentine legend said his countryman, who he managed at the World Cup last summer, "does what he wants with these Arabs".

In an outspoken interview, Maradona also claimed that Fulham wanted to appoint him as manager earlier this season but he rejected their interest and personally assured Mark Hughes on his last trip to London that he is not looking to take his job. However, Fulham today denied that they had offered the 50-year-old the manager's position.

Maradona, who believes he will return to coach Argentina one day after voicing his disapproval at the way he was removed from the job after the quarter-final defeat to Germany, remains in regular contact with Tevez.

He believes the striker has a hold over City's Abu Dhabi owners and that the player, who submitted and then withdrew a transfer request last month, dictates everything when it comes to contracts and personal terms.

"Carlitos is amazing," Maradona said in an interview with Argentinean TV station TyC Sports. "He does what he wants with these Arabs, you know. He says to them, 'I want to go to Buenos Aires,' and they reply 'No, Carlitos, stay here, we will give you more money.' And he receives more money."

Maradona was recently quoted in his homeland saying that a Premier League team was interested in him, although he stopped short of naming them.

But speaking on TyC Sports, he said: "I have been called by some clubs since the World Cup ended. For example, I was told that Fulham was interested in me.

"But I didn't want to speak with them as they had a boss who was working at the club. I have learned something in my life - if you want to be respected, you have to respect.

"So, I will not talk with any club if they already have a manager. It is true that I went to see Fulham play Manchester City in November. There, I talked with Roberto Mancini, and then I asked if I could see Mark Hughes.

"I told him, ­'Listen, Mark, I came here because I wanted to see how Carlitos was doing, not because I wanted to know anything about Fulham.'

"I added, ­'Believe me, I don't want your job at all.' I don't care if Mohamed Al-Fayed wanted me, I will not talk with him nor anyone else if they have a coach."

Maradona, 49, has never denied wanting to work in England and has often talked up the facilities available to players and staff in the Premier League.

He recently said he would travel to London next month to talk to a top flight club, believed to be Blackburn, about taking over as their manager.

At that point, Rovers had not appointed a successor to Sam Allardyce but have since installed Steve Kean as manager on a permanent basis.

Local sources in Argentina believe there is a chance Fulham could come back with an offer for their national hero if they dispense with Hughes.

But the west London club today denied that they have held talks with Maradona. "Fulham has not, at any point, discussed its managerial position with Diego Maradona," the club's communications director Sarah Brookes told Goal.com UK.  "He attended the Manchester City game at Craven Cottage in November as a guest of the Club, as he was in the country at the time."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-and-hammersmith-news/local-fulham-and-hammersmith-news/2011/01/25/fulham-fc-s-oldest-fan-dies-after-100-years-spent-visiting-craven-cottage-82029-28052939/?

Fulham FC's oldest fan dies after 100 years spent visiting Craven Cottage

Fulham FC's oldest fan – whose father Walter White began playing for the club back in 1910 – has died six months after celebrating her 100th birthday at Craven Cottage.

Rachel Hunt lived an entire century at her Danehurst Street home after moving to the borough aged three months, when her Scottish father, known as 'Wattie', transferred from Everton.

Wattie played 203 times for the Whites, scoring 18 goals before retiring in 1923, but his longevity and commitment were outdone by his daughter, who never tired of watching matches or visiting the Stevenage Road ground.

The club cafe was the scene of an emotional surprise party in July, when Mrs Hunt, who had recently suffered a fall, was greeted on her birthday by family, friends and Fulham FC representatives, who presented her with a vintage-style football and special home shirt bearing the number 100.

Mrs Hunt had no children of her own but forged close ties with her Danehurt Street neighbours, the Worleys, who became her adoptive family, and who organised last year's birthday bash.

Grandson Matthew Worley said at the time: "Rachel has brought a lot of love and pleasure into our lives. She used to come down to Craven Cottage as a young girl and would bunk off school to watch her dad play football here. If she'd have been born a man, she would have definitely played for Fulham."

A funeral service was held for Mrs Hunt at Mortlake Crematorium on Thursday, and an obituary appeared in the programme for Fulham FC's match against Wigan Athletic.

A club spokeswoman said: "Fulham Football Club was saddened to hear of the passing of Rachel Hunt. She was a great fan and a remarkable lady, who will be fondly remembered by all involved with the club."

Thanking everyone for bringing her to Craven Cottage on her 100th birthday, Mrs Hunt said: "I can't thank you enough for what you've done. I didn't know where I was going today, I couldn't have come to a better place."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-and-hammersmith-news/local-fulham-and-hammersmith-news/2011/01/25/fulham-fc-s-oldest-fan-dies-after-100-years-spent-visiting-craven-cottage-82029-28052939/?#ixzz1C4BYluGf

WhiteJC

http://thechelseablog.org/2011/01/25/kakuta-off-to-fulham-do-youngsters-really-figure-in-carlos-plans/?

Kakuta Off To Fulham: Do Youngsters Really Figure In Carlo's Plans?

Back in April 2009, there was lots of interest around Gael Kakuta, then slightly more attention in September of that year when FIFA slapped their ridiculous transfer ban on us for some nonsense Lens fed them. Did we let him go then though? Nope, we held onto him until now, when our squad is already far smaller than it should be.

As ever though, Chelsea being the law unto themselves that they are, are letting him have a medical right now in preparation for a loan move to Fulham for the rest of the season.

Now I'm not suggesting he'd be a regular for us right now or even get much in the way of playing time - god forbid we should really take our youngsters seriously - I just find it mystifying that we continue to keep farming players out on loan without considering our already depleted resources.

I'm sure Kakuta himself is happy enough, he's only managed 4 starts this season for us anyway, but knowing what usually happens once a player of ours goes out on loan, you'd have to wonder about his long-term future at Chelsea now.