watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stats regarding the amount of starts each player had and the PPG Fulham got

Started by SerbianLad, April 16, 2024, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

In those games. I wrote recently that I think we miss Willian more this season when he's not playing than we do Palhinha when he's not playing, so I decided to check whether that could be backed up by stats as well and it turns out I was right. Willian is our most important starter by stats as well!

PPG with these players as starters:

Willian:1.59
Lukic:1.55
Castagne:1.52
Iwobi:1.45
Tosin:1.41
Reed:1.38
Cairney:1.36
Bassey:1.35
Jimenez:1.29
Leno:1.27
Robinson:1.22
Muniz:1.21
Andreas:1.17
Palhinha:1.15
Diop:1.15
Ream:1.12
BDR:1
Wilson:0.87
Tete:0.78

And the number of times each of them were starters:

Leno:33
Robinson:32
Andreas:30
Palhinha:26
Castagne:25
Willian:22
Iwobi:20
Bassey:20
Tosin:17
Jimenez:17
Ream:16
Wilson:15
Cairney:14
Muniz:14
BDR:14
Reed:13
Diop:13
Lukic:11
Tete:9

Rodak, Benda, FBT, Adama and Broja haven't started any games so far this season.

Craven Mad

This is interesting. Thanks for pulling it together.

Testament to the success of our season that only two starting players have a PPG under 1.0.

Most impressed by Lukic's numbers here tbh

SerbianLad

Quote from: Craven Mad on April 16, 2024, 10:34:08 PMThis is interesting. Thanks for pulling it together.

Testament to the success of our season that only two starting players have a PPG under 1.0.

Most impressed by Lukic's numbers here tbh
I'm actually most impressed with Castagne's numbers. We won only 4 points in the games he didn't play (he started in 26/33 games, i.e. we won only 4 points in the 7 games he didn't start in, with all of those 4 points being at the start of the season, 3 against Everton and 1 against Arsenal, when he wasn't even at the club).

Willian too of course. Only started 22 games this season and we won 35 points in those game. We won only 7 in the 11 games he didn't start (Arsenal draw, wins against Brighton and Manchester United).

Also, worth noting that players like Leno, Robinson and Andreas started pretty much all games (or in Leno's case all of them), so of course their PPG is lower than that of other players.

BarryP

Thanks for pulling the data. I am very surprised by the difference between Castagna and Tete.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Chi_FFC

The Rational Fan

Willians has the best PPG, because of the alternates on the left wing as BDR is a huge downgrade and using Iwobi on the LW makes us weaker elsewhere on the pitch.

In the summer, we need to buy at least one left winger and two if Willian leaves.

Thailand Mick

I think with the players that started a smaller number of games it's important to see who those games were against and also how many regular players we were missing in those games. So, from our squad of players Marco has used 18 as starters in more than 10 games and with Diop, Ream ,Reed and Raul sliding down that list now we have a fully fit squad it seems to me he has a nucleus of 14 players he likes to pick from.

ffcthereligion

Lukic and tete data I would exclude due to sample size. No coincidence posters are alighting upon them as the 'most surprising' so far. Skewed data

I'm personally most surprised with the palhinha data! Great post

SerbianLad

Quote from: ffcthereligion on April 17, 2024, 07:47:39 AMLukic and tete data I would exclude due to sample size. No coincidence posters are alighting upon them as the 'most surprising' so far. Skewed data

I wouldn't completetely exclude the data, especially Lukic's data, as he hasn't started a lot less than some other players at the bottom of the list. Tete however started sporadicaly and he rarely played in consecutive games, so it's probably harder for him to get in the rhytm and he is also the only player that was a starter but did start in less than 10 games. I came across this today:
It does seem Lukic has a positive impact, but I do agree we need a bigger sample size, hence my comment in one of the previous posts that I'm mostly impressed by Castagne and Willian, rather than Lukic.

We literaly won no points in the games Castagne hasn't started, since he came to Fulham (all four points we won without him we won before he came to the club, that doesn't mean we won 4 points with Tete starting, we won 7, as they both started vs Luton). Willian has a large enough sample size and is still the best when it comes to PPG, so him and Castagne are definitely the 2 most impressive players when it comes to this, and should probably start every game when fit.

filham

I think that Silva is now well aware of his prefered starting line up and I would agree with him accept I would prefer Cairney in place of Lukoc,
However the above stats seem to favour Lukic.

SerbianLad

Marco has used 27 different lineups this season, with only 4 lineups being used more than once:

Leno-Castagne-Tosin-Bassey-Robinson-Palhinha-Cairney-Andreas-Iwobi-Willian-Jimenez, 2 times
Leno-Castagne-Diop-Ream-Robinson-Palhinha-Cairney-Andreas-BDR-Willian-Muniz, 2 times
Leno-Castagne-Tosin-Bassey-Robinson-Reed-Lukic-Andreas-Wilson-Iwobi-Muniz, 3 times
Leno-Castagne-Tosin-Bassey-Robinson-Palhinha-Lukic-Andreas-Iwobi-Willian-Muniz, 3 times
_________________________________________________________________________________________
@Chi_FFC inspired me to do best cb pairnings, best midfield trios and best fron threes. I calculated it for all combinations, but some pairings or trios played only one or two games, so I don't think we can draw any conclusions from that. If someone is interested in certain pairing/trio that played less than 3 games, I'll write it down as well.

Best CB pairing(PPG wise, min. 3 games played together):

Tosin-Bassey: 1.69 PPG (13 games)
Diop-Ream: 1.44 PPG (9 games)
Bassey-Ream: 0.67 PPG (6 games)
Tosin-Diop: 0.33 PPG (3 games)

Best midfield trios(PPG wise, min. 3 games played together):

Reed-Lukic-Andreas: 1.5 PPG (4 games)
Palhinha-Lukic-Andreas: 1.33 PPG (6 games)
Palhinha-Cairney-Andreas: 1 PPG (10 games)
Palhinha-Reed-Andreas: 1 PPG (5 games)
Palhinha-Iwobi-Andreas: 1 PPG (3 games)

Best front threes(PPG wise, min. 3 games played together):
Iwobi-Willian-Jimenez: 3 PPG (3 games)
Iwobi-Willian-Muniz: 1.75 PPG (4 games)
Wilson-Willian-Jimenez: 1.5 PPG (4 games)
BDR-Willian-Muniz: 1.33 PPG (3 games)
BDR-Willian-Jimenez: 1.2 PPG (5 games)
Wilson-Iwobi-Muniz: 1.2 PPG (5 games)
Wilson-BDR-Jimenez: 0.33 PPG (3 games)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ffcthereligion on April 17, 2024, 07:47:39 AMLukic and tete data I would exclude due to sample size. No coincidence posters are alighting upon them as the 'most surprising' so far. Skewed data

Lukic has played 11 games so far which is small sample, but by next deadline day that sample should be more than 20 games (including preseason) which is enough of a sample.