watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Andreas Pereira Yellow card on Ref watch

Started by Yorkie_FFC, April 18, 2024, 09:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yorkie_FFC

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/30998/13115954/fulham-s-goalscorer-andreas-pereira-fortunate-to-avoid-red-card-against-west-ham-united

For me seeing it in super slow mo it doesn't do either of the players any good. Realistically Pereira's foot is high and it doesn't look pretty but I dispute the fact of him "definitely following through (in the tackle)" to me if anything he looks like he is trying to withdraw and there is very limited contact, with West Ham's Paquetá definitely making a meal of it. Pereira makes clear contact with the ball first and his momentum carries him into Paquetá, if he didn't make contact with the ball, I think its a red all day long. 10-15 years ago it would have been get up and get on with it, not even a foul! 

demeant0r

I'd say Paqueta's tackle on Lukic is worthy of a red. He didn't even go for the ball and could've been really bad for Lukic.

Lighthouse

The problem with all these analysis and slow motion is that you can end up trying to work out the intentions of an innocent act. Have a slow motion of someone scratching their nose and you can be convinced how disgusting it is if enough people tell you it is. Watch it enough times and you can believe it is awful.

Players have to be so careful now and we know that players will make the most of any incident. I am always biased. A Fulham player, my favourite band, my favourite actor and actress. I will make excuses and tell you how good they are. However looking at this, had West Ham made the foul I probably could find reasons to tell you how awful it was. Slow Motion and constant analysis don't do anyone any good and don't get to the truth. As VAR has proved on many an occasion.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Arthur

Quote from: Yorkie_FFC on April 18, 2024, 09:48:33 AM10-15 years ago it would have been get up and get on with it, not even a foul! 

Do you think this was for better or worse?

To my mind, it's better now.

The old way of thinking - basically, as long as a player touched the ball first, he was not responsible for the consequences of his follow-through - was flawed, in my opinion.

My boyhood idol was Jimmy Conway - a prolific goalscoring winger in the 1969-70 season. Sadly, however, I always thought he was never quite the same player following a knee injury sustained (if I recall correctly) in a game against Plymouth in a similar fashion to Pereira's tackle. Players such as George Best, Charlie Cooke and, for us, Jimmy Conway and Les Barrett were the type of skilful, exciting wingers that supporters looked forward to seeing. Back then, full backs didn't necessarily need to time a tackle well in order to defend - especially in the old Third Division. Dangerous or cynical fouls met with a booking far less frequently than now. I find it difficult to comprehend what stunning performances players such as Best would have been able to produce in today's game with its greater protection.

Nick Bateman

Typical Sky with their "woke" panel trying to get a Fulham player into trouble yet ignored Paqueta's straight kick which was violent conduct. He did the same thing against Leverkausen a few days before which sparked mass confrontation from the players.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Yorkie_FFC

Quote from: Arthur on April 18, 2024, 12:06:43 PM
Quote from: Yorkie_FFC on April 18, 2024, 09:48:33 AM10-15 years ago it would have been get up and get on with it, not even a foul! 

Do you think this was for better or worse?

To my mind, it's better now.

The old way of thinking - basically, as long as a player touched the ball first, he was not responsible for the consequences of his follow-through - was flawed, in my opinion.

My boyhood idol was Jimmy Conway - a prolific goalscoring winger in the 1969-70 season. Sadly, however, I always thought he was never quite the same player following a knee injury sustained (if I recall correctly) in a game against Plymouth in a similar fashion to Pereira's tackle. Players such as George Best, Charlie Cooke and, for us, Jimmy Conway and Les Barrett were the type of skilful, exciting wingers that supporters looked forward to seeing. Back then, full backs didn't necessarily need to time a tackle well in order to defend - especially in the old Third Division. Dangerous or cynical fouls met with a booking far less frequently than now. I find it difficult to comprehend what stunning performances players such as Best would have been able to produce in today's game with its greater protection.

I am in agreement definitely for better although I am a generation or 2 (depending on how you see it) behind being a kid growing up watching late 80s/early 90's, there were still some crunching tackles then and it wasn't really until Cristiano Ronaldo, Robin Van Persie and Didier Drogba arrived in the Premier League where the simulation got out of control. There were the odd instances before that but in general players didn't roll on the floor like they had been shot. But on the flip side I am all for player protection as I want to watch the best talented players play for as long as possible, even better if in a Fulham shirt.