https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Season's over?

Started by wback, February 12, 2024, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 14, 2024, 03:08:46 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on February 13, 2024, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 12, 2024, 11:52:51 PMOn the last day of this season,  I am sure Fulham will be placed between 17th and 9th (given the difficult of remaining games I doubt 8th is possible), some may feel that is nothing to play for. But Our Ageing Squad needs both as much "FFP headroom for the summer as possible" and as many "premier league quality players fit, in-form and available for next season". By the end of the season, we need at least two of Diop, Lukic, Reed, Adama, and Muniz to prove they are Premier League Quality, else our FFP budget will be spent on too many players and that means low quality signings.

Diop, Reed to an extent and Traore have already proven they're premier league quality players? Lukic doesn't appear to be up to it and Muniz is starting to show some of the potential imagined when we first signed him so not sure what you're on about overall with that

We probably have around £80m transfer spend this summer (assuming Palhinha, Rodak and Tete stay), which is enough for three starters of £20m and three squad players if £6m.

Given Tosin, Balle, Francois, BDR and Broja are leaving need at least five players CB, LB, CM, RW and CF.

At LB, we have a definite starter for next season and only need a backup players. For the other positions (CB, CM, RW, CF) it is unclear whether Diop, Reed, Adama and Muniz are starters or backup with the last 14 games of the season and preseason to determine their status.

Despite Diop, Reed and Adama all being premier league starters in the past, it is far from certain whether they are good enough to start for the 24/25 season. But if we replace all of them, money will be spread too thin and the quality of new recruits will suffer, so we need a strong finish from at least two of them.

Still too binary of a view in my opinion. We don't need Reed to be a starter necessarily, he isn't now. If Palhinha leaves, he will have to be replaced, but his transfer will generate enough funds for probably two players. If he stays, our midfield of Palhinha, TC, Reed and Pereira is a good start, with Lukic a decent enough depth option.

Francois has had no impact whatsoever, and might as well be replaced by Harris, Dibley-Dias, King or whoever is deemed next in line. No need to spend for our 25th player.

For Broja, so far we don't know if he is any better than either Muniz or Raul. We have managed this season without Mitro, but I agree that unless Muniz recent hot streak is the start of a good PL career, we would probably want another striker, and they don't come cheap. I don't think wer will be relegated without a top striker though. 

I don't think BDR will leave, but let's see. In any case, I believe we would want another winger (maybe a striker/winger). Stansfield is a dark horse here of course.

Ballo-Toure could probably be replaced with another loan for a couple of millions.

The big one is probably CB, assuming Tosin leaves (which seem likely at this point). That will cost us if we want someone PL ready, or a top prospect.

We may have the same squad strength as this season without having to spend very much. Of course we would like to improve, and also account for a couple of players ageing, but I don't see this as a huge immediate problem and I don't see that the performance of Adama, Reed etc for the last part of this season have much of an impact. We already more or less know their status (decent squad players, could start if required without making us Championship level). If they are better than that it's great but if not it's no big deal.

In my opinion.

WindyCity

As I've posted earlier in this thread, I'm not in to chicken counting and won't be totally comfortable until the maths prove survival.  THAT SAID, if FFC finish somewhere mid table, I would consider this campaign as hugely successful.  I'd be very happy with that.  And I think most fans should also.  FFC is a 'small club' battling in what many consider the best league in football.  I'd like to see a nice run in the EPL, would be nice to stay up for a good ten years or so. 

The problem, moving forward, that I see, though, is that right now we are a very 'old' club in need of some new blood.  Additionally, there is a very good chance that some of our current best players may be gone for next season, Palhinha, Adarabioyo, Robinson among them, and comparable quality will be needed in replacement, which will be a big challenge.  This summer window will likely be a major factor in determining FFC's near term future.  Hopefully the powers-to-be are already working on strategy right now, and forming a plan for the summer.  A lot rides on how well management/ownership does during this period.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 14, 2024, 07:55:31 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 14, 2024, 03:08:46 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on February 13, 2024, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 12, 2024, 11:52:51 PMOn the last day of this season,  I am sure Fulham will be placed between 17th and 9th (given the difficult of remaining games I doubt 8th is possible), some may feel that is nothing to play for. But Our Ageing Squad needs both as much "FFP headroom for the summer as possible" and as many "premier league quality players fit, in-form and available for next season". By the end of the season, we need at least two of Diop, Lukic, Reed, Adama, and Muniz to prove they are Premier League Quality, else our FFP budget will be spent on too many players and that means low quality signings.

Diop, Reed to an extent and Traore have already proven they're premier league quality players? Lukic doesn't appear to be up to it and Muniz is starting to show some of the potential imagined when we first signed him so not sure what you're on about overall with that

We probably have around £80m transfer spend this summer (assuming Palhinha, Rodak and Tete stay), which is enough for three starters of £20m and three squad players if £6m.

Given Tosin, Balle, Francois, BDR and Broja are leaving need at least five players CB, LB, CM, RW and CF.

At LB, we have a definite starter for next season and only need a backup players. For the other positions (CB, CM, RW, CF) it is unclear whether Diop, Reed, Adama and Muniz are starters or backup with the last 14 games of the season and preseason to determine their status.

Despite Diop, Reed and Adama all being premier league starters in the past, it is far from certain whether they are good enough to start for the 24/25 season. But if we replace all of them, money will be spread too thin and the quality of new recruits will suffer, so we need a strong finish from at least two of them.

Still too binary of a view in my opinion. We don't need Reed to be a starter necessarily, he isn't now. If Palhinha leaves, he will have to be replaced, but his transfer will generate enough funds for probably two players. If he stays, our midfield of Palhinha, TC, Reed and Pereira is a good start, with Lukic a decent enough depth option.

Francois has had no impact whatsoever, and might as well be replaced by Harris, Dibley-Dias, King or whoever is deemed next in line. No need to spend for our 25th player.

For Broja, so far we don't know if he is any better than either Muniz or Raul. We have managed this season without Mitro, but I agree that unless Muniz recent hot streak is the start of a good PL career, we would probably want another striker, and they don't come cheap. I don't think wer will be relegated without a top striker though. 

I don't think BDR will leave, but let's see. In any case, I believe we would want another winger (maybe a striker/winger). Stansfield is a dark horse here of course.

Ballo-Toure could probably be replaced with another loan for a couple of millions.

The big one is probably CB, assuming Tosin leaves (which seem likely at this point). That will cost us if we want someone PL ready, or a top prospect.

We may have the same squad strength as this season without having to spend very much. Of course we would like to improve, and also account for a couple of players ageing, but I don't see this as a huge immediate problem and I don't see that the performance of Adama, Reed etc for the last part of this season have much of an impact. We already more or less know their status (decent squad players, could start if required without making us Championship level). If they are better than that it's great but if not it's no big deal.

In my opinion.

As for Reed, if he is not a starter  then I assume Cairney is a starter for 25+ games next season which is a huge liability as he is carrying so many injuries. We have Palhinha and Pereira as starting central midfielders next season, so we need Reed/Lukic to prove himself for next season or I think we need to  bring a CM in.

As for Francois, even though we didn't need him this season I'd prefer to have six central midfielders better than him next season (e.g. Lukic)  , because we typically start with three midfielders, and we need at least one box-to-box midfield off the bench as 90 minutes is too much for some, plus we should be able to cover two injuries.

As for Muniz, he'll need another five plus games as good as the last one before next seasons deadline day to convince most of us he is our starter, plus the rest of his performances being pretty decent too. Unlikely, but I think he could. And, if Muniz shows he is a premier league starter for next season, it would be a huge improvement to our FFP position.

As for Tosin replacement, it would be much better if DIop and Bassey prove they are premier league centre backs so we can bring in someone young that can develop into the role, so the new CB doesn't have to be as premier league ready which means we might be able to get a CB with more long-term potential (like Bassey did this season).

While not likely that we will come 17th this season, I still maintain if we do have a player form slump this season, then next season will be incredibly challenging  because a) strong teams will be promoted, b) our FFP budget is limited, c) our squad is aging and d) we really can only afford three-four new starters at most. This means seven-eight injury free players (ie. not Adama or Cairney) from this season need to be good enough to be a starter next season; and I currently have six nailed on starters for next season with another seven maybes (ranging from probably yes to probably not).

wback

Three months later - this was right wasn't it? We've had a few decent games (Spurs and Man Utd), but essentially we've been stuck since mid-Feb.

That's one of the problems in this league, so many teams have something to play for that the moment you don't (or don't think you do), it's over, and a limp to the line.

Hopefully we can stay above Palace by winning against Luton.