more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Richard Keys Resigns

Started by os5889, January 26, 2011, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

Quote from: FulhamRob on January 27, 2011, 12:49:04 PM
I'd hate to think what I've said in the past on all manner of subjects. If, however, it's his honestly held view then why should he apologise? The last time I looked we supposedly had the right of free speech in this country although that sadly doesn't seem to be the case.

and Sky has the right to sack their staff if they deem their behaviour to be innapropriate

FulhamRob

Quote from: King_Crud on January 27, 2011, 01:01:26 PM
I'd hate to think what I've said in the past on all manner of subjects. If, however, it's his honestly held view then why should he apologise? The last time I looked we supposedly had the right of free speech in this country although that sadly doesn't seem to be the case.

and Sky has the right to sack their staff if they deem their behaviour to be innapropriate
They haven't sacked him. He's resigned.

FulhamRob

Quote from: White Noise on January 27, 2011, 12:58:19 PM
Loving the 'holier than thou' commentators and message board posters. Who even on here can say, hand on heart, they've never said things that would come across these days as being not politically correct when they've been chatting with mates???!!!!

Maybe we should look at firing those hideous creatures on the TV programme Loose Women (for US readers that are lucky not to have access to it, this is basically a panel show where a collection of women verbally bash men for about an hour at lunchtime).

But its not chatting with mates and its not banter. Its in the workplace, miked up and surrounded by colleagues of both sexes - gross misconduct in any work context. Its not banter because their tone is deadly serious - no laughter - nothing. Look at all the quotes from colleagues and former colleagues saying there was a culture of sexism and bullying. Totally, totally different from 'banter' down the pub.

What I am loving is the holier than thou messageboard posters attacking the holier than thou message board posters.  Anyone who does this sort of  thing in the workplace is as big a scumbag as these two. Are we not allowed to condemn people for things that are clearly wrong anymore?
No, you're totally right, let's hound everybody out of their job for every indiscretion, regardless of how small it is.

Lighthouse

Keys phoned the ref, banter banter joke joke, sorry and all that. That really should have been an ebd to it. It is a non story. Somebody wanted the not very good couple out and this gave them the chance.

Yes it was childish and rude and I am glad they are gone. But is it worth upsetting the Woman Lines person by continual reference to it and making it the story of the week. No. Should have dealt with in house and that would have been an end to it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

...FulhamRob, Had it been one of the back-room staff I would think that a severe reprimand, maybe coupled with a program of 're-education' about such policies would be appropriate.

Gray and Keys however, are high profile presenters, they represent sky on the front line as it were, they should be made aware of company policy and adhere to it.

These guys were 'miked - up' and even though not on air they should have been more careful as any professional presenter would be.

Their own 'holier than thou' attitude amongst their own staff and arrogance because they have got away with it for so long makes them feel indignant about the situation they find themselves in now.

If they had kept their own views to themselves outside of sky and in private this would not have happened...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

Quote from: FulhamRob on January 27, 2011, 01:11:07 PM
Loving the 'holier than thou' commentators and message board posters. Who even on here can say, hand on heart, they've never said things that would come across these days as being not politically correct when they've been chatting with mates???!!!!

Maybe we should look at firing those hideous creatures on the TV programme Loose Women (for US readers that are lucky not to have access to it, this is basically a panel show where a collection of women verbally bash men for about an hour at lunchtime).

But its not chatting with mates and its not banter. Its in the workplace, miked up and surrounded by colleagues of both sexes - gross misconduct in any work context. Its not banter because their tone is deadly serious - no laughter - nothing. Look at all the quotes from colleagues and former colleagues saying there was a culture of sexism and bullying. Totally, totally different from 'banter' down the pub.

What I am loving is the holier than thou messageboard posters attacking the holier than thou message board posters.  Anyone who does this sort of  thing in the workplace is as big a scumbag as these two. Are we not allowed to condemn people for things that are clearly wrong anymore?
No, you're totally right, let's hound everybody out of their job for every indiscretion, regardless of how small it is.

Thats fine sir. If its small to you thats fine. I have seen lots of bullying of men and women in the workplace in my time and it all of stinks to high heaven as far as I am concerned. Thats just my view and you are entitled to yours. I am going to leave it there and get back to Fulham things cos this is getting too much likes politics and religion.

FulhamRob

Quote from: White Noise on January 27, 2011, 01:21:47 PM

Thats fine sir. If its small to you thats fine. I have seen lots of bullying of men and women in the workplace in my time and it all of stinks to high heaven as far as I am concerned. Thats just my view and you are entitled to yours. I am going to leave it there and get back to Fulham things cos this is getting too much likes politics and religion.
Agreed White Noise. I can't abide bullying either but that's not really the gist of what I was saying. The claims of bullying being made by unnamed sources within Sky are as an aside. If he'd been sacked for being a bully boy then absolutely fine.

The point i was trying to make - which maybe I haven't expressed properly - is that rightly or wrongly, they viewed the comments they were making as private between themselves. On that basis, it's a bit rich for everyone to insist they have never made what can be deemed to be politically incorrect comments. Either way it's pointless debating it further.

AlFayedsChequebook

CincyFulham1

Were they stupid for making the comments? yes.  Where they inappropriate comments for the workplace? Probably.  Do they deserve the sack? Debatable.  Now can we move on?

AlFayedsChequebook

What is your position on referee's? Have you ever moaned about one? Have you ever got upset by a refereeing decision and said the ref should be fired? As a football fan, I am sure you have, as we all have.

As for Keys and Gray, it wasn't simply an 'indescretion' it was prolific (see the many clips showing their sexism) as well as facilitating an obvious aura of sexism in the workplace.

Also, can people stop saying 'banter'? As far as I am concerned you stop 'bantering with mates' when you are into your late 20's. 'Bantering' is no way for two 50 year old guys to behave at work. They are wimps who would never have said those views in public had they not been caught. Cowards.

FulhamRob

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 27, 2011, 01:33:44 PM

What is your position on referee's? Have you ever moaned about one? Have you ever got upset by a refereeing decision and said the ref should be fired? As a football fan, I am sure you have, as we all have.

As for Keys and Gray, it wasn't simply an 'indescretion' it was prolific (see the many clips showing their sexism) as well as facilitating an obvious aura of sexism in the workplace.

Also, can people stop saying 'banter'? As far as I am concerned you stop 'bantering with mates' when you are into your late 20's. 'Bantering' is no way for two 50 year old guys to behave at work. They are wimps who would never have said those views in public had they not been caught. Cowards.

Not really sure what point you're making about referees, it doesn't seem to have any relevance to this conversation. However, to answer your question, yes i've criticised refereeing decisions but haven't called for them to be sacked....

On the bantering, well it might not be the way you, me and other people choose to behave - especially at work - but some are more/less mature than others. That's why I'm settled with a family and others I know in their late 30s are still getting smashed out of their brains every night.

Also, I'm also pretty sure the women that work at Sky are more than capable of giving abuse back to Keys and Gray if they had felt the need. To suggest they need protecting like some weak, wounded animal is to do them a dis-service and, I would have thought, likely to cause more offence.

Either way, it's a mute point. None of us work at Sky - as far as I know - so we don't really know for sure what happened on a daily basis so we can argue this out forever really...

The Bronsons

Just for a second, I read the thread title as "Richard Keys re-signs". Gave me a nasty turn.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FulhamRob on January 27, 2011, 01:46:46 PM

Not really sure what point you're making about referees, it doesn't seem to have any relevance to this conversation. However, to answer your question, yes i've criticised refereeing decisions but haven't called for them to be sacked....

On the bantering, well it might not be the way you, me and other people choose to behave - especially at work - but some are more/less mature than others. That's why I'm settled with a family and others I know in their late 30s are still getting smashed out of their brains every night.

Also, I'm also pretty sure the women that work at Sky are more than capable of giving abuse back to Keys and Gray if they had felt the need. To suggest they need protecting like some weak, wounded animal is to do them a dis-service and, I would have thought, likely to cause more offence.

Either way, it's a mute point. None of us work at Sky - as far as I know - so we don't really know for sure what happened on a daily basis so we can argue this out forever really...

I am not sure the women could stand up to Keys and Gray for risk of being fired.

But yes, this argument could go on forever.

FulhamRob

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 27, 2011, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: FulhamRob on January 27, 2011, 01:46:46 PM

I am not sure the women could stand up to Keys and Gray for risk of being fired.

But yes, this argument could go on forever.
Most of my female friends - and those I've worked with in the past - would have eaten those two for breakfast but I take your point!

AlFayedsChequebook

BalDrick

Has to be said, regardless of what you think of the pair/the story, the term 'smash it' is a particularly repulsive one. It's sex FFS, the idea is both (all?) protagonists enjoy it. Or so my fading memory tells me...
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

JBH

The whole point of this entire saga is that SKY have managed to get rid of 2 presenters that had past their sell by date without having to pay them off and to be honest everyone I know are not sorry to se the sanctimonious gits go.

Well done SKY  :54:

Jimpav

Is it me or does anyone else think that Sky would have kept Keys on had that additional footage not have been leaked?

He was pretty much in the clear until the "smashgate" video emerged.

This to me confirms that SKY wanted Andy Gray out but would have tolerated Keys.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jimpav on January 27, 2011, 04:27:50 PM
Is it me or does anyone else think that Sky would have kept Keys on had that additional footage not have been leaked?

This to me confirms that SKY wanted Andy Gray out but would have tolerated Keys.

I think it was the Talksport radio 'apology' debacle that was the final nail in the coffin

Jimpav

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 27, 2011, 04:33:25 PM
Quote from: Jimpav on January 27, 2011, 04:27:50 PM

I think it was the Talksport radio 'apology' debacle that was the final nail in the coffin

That would make sense, after reading the transcipt you posted. The hole he dug was so big you could fit the pair of them in it with room to spare.