Started by White Noise, February 01, 2011, 07:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6715675,00.html

Konchesky happy to join Forest

Full-back was keen to secure regular first-team football

Last updated: 1st February 2011 

Konchesky: Keen to be playing

Paul Konchesky was aware of talk linking him with a return to Fulham, but insists he is happy to have joined Nottingham Forest's fight for promotion.

The full-back ended an unhappy six-month stint at Liverpool on deadline day by signing for Forest on loan for the rest of the season.

He had been wanted back at former club Fulham after failing to win over the Liverpool fans during his 18 appearances for the Reds.

However, the 29-year-old eventually agreed a deal with Forest and is keen to be playing first-team football after failing to feature for Liverpool since Kenny Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson as manager.

Konchesky told Forest's official website: "There was talk of me going back to Fulham and it didn't happen.

"I could have sat at Liverpool and just done nothing but I want to play football. I wanted to come to a team that was fighting for promotion.

"They play good football here and I want to be part of it and trying to get the team in the Premier League."

Big change
Admitting his dream move to Liverpool had not worked out, he added: "It was a tough start and then the manager that took me there got the sack and it was a big change.

"But that's part of life, I had to go to try it, it hasn't worked out, I want to get my football back on track, and I've been given an opportunity at Nottingham Forest."

Asked if manager Billy Davies needed to convince him to drop down to the Championship, Konchesky said: "No, not really. Because I want to play football and he's going to give me a chance to play."

Tonywa

[
"It was great to hear from the manager and the chairman and of how pleased they are to have me here as a player."

[/quote]

Whether they'll be quite so delighted after he's been there for a few weeks is a point for some conjecture!

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6715830,00.html

Johnson jumped at Preston move

Striker looking forward to fight for survival

Johnson: Happy with move

USA international striker Eddie Johnson has expressed his delight after securing a loan move to Preston North End.

The Fulham forward finalised his switch to Deepdale before the close of the transfer window and will finish the season with the Championship strugglers.

The 26-year-old has yet to score a goal for the Cottagers since his 2008 arrivals from Kansas City Wizards and had made 11 appearances in the Premier League this term.

He admits he jumped at the opportunity to link up with Preston and is determined to repay manager Phil Brown's faith in him.

False position
"I'm delighted to be joining Preston North End," Johnson told the club's official website.

"There is a lot of history behind the club and I think they are in a false position right now in the league.

"I am looking forward to being a part of their tremendous comeback to get themselves up the table where they should be.

"When I heard that Preston were interested in me I contacted my agent to make sure it was something that could happen and now I am looking forward to it.

"It was great to hear from the manager and the chairman and of how pleased they are to have me here as a player."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/48981/fulham-vs-newcastle-united/preview

Fulham - Newcastle United Preview: Gudjohnsen and Ireland set for debuts as visitors prepare for life without Carroll

By Oliver Yew

TEAM NEWS

Fulham

New signing Eidur Gudjohnsen could go straight into the match squad after joining from Stoke on loan until the end of the season. He will replace striker Eddie Johnson after he completed a loan move to Preston North End until the end of the campaign.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is back after helping Australia to the final of the Asian Cup, but will be rested for this match with David Stockdale continuing in goal.

Aaron Hughes is Mark Hughes' only injury worry ahead of the match against the Toon Army, while Dickson Etuhu and Matthew Briggs could be back in the squad after recovering from hamstring and ankle injuries respectively.

Striker Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Philipe Senderos (calf) are closing in on returns but will come up short for the visit of Newcastle.

Possible starting XI: Stockdale; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Davies; A Johnson, Dempsey.

Newcastle

Midfielder Stephen Ireland will go straight into the squad for the trip to west London. The former Manchester City and Aston Villa player has not featured in the league since the turn of the year and will get an immediate opportunity to recapture the firm he showed for City.

Alan Pardew will still be without Cheik Tiote as he completes his three match suspension following his red card in the 3-1 FA Cup defeat to Stevenage.

Steven Taylor is a doubt with a hamstring injury and will face a late fitness test.

Ryan Taylor (ankle), Hatem Ben Arfa (broken leg) and Dan Gosling (knee) should all be back by the end of the month but Alan Smith is still sidelined.

Possible starting XI: Harper; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Enrique; Barton, Guthrie, Ireland, Nolan, Guttierez; Ameobi.

Fulham buoyed by FA Cup win

Fulham head back into Premier League action still dreaming of the FA Cup after their 4-0 win over Tottenham at the weekend.

The Cottagers put in a storming performance against Harry Redknapp's side which has started talk of targeting the FA Cup final.

But Mark Hughes will know how important Premier League survival is and will want his players to switch their focus back to Newcastle.

With the additions of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Steve Sidwell, and with players returning from injury, things are looking up for Hughes' men.

If they keep replicating their cup performance it will not be long before they are shooting up the table.

Pressure on Newcastle strikers

Both sides found themselves busy on transfer deadline day, bringing in new recruits. Fulham brought in Eidur Gudjohnsen from Stoke while Stephen Ireland checked in at St James' Park.

But one of the big stories of the day was the news that Newcastle sold striker Andy Carroll for a fee in the region of £35 million. The news came as a big shock to everyone at Newcastle and his absence will be a huge loss.

One of the worrying things for Newcastle fans will be the lack of a replacement.

Alan Pardew was rumoured to have been working right up until the last minute of deadline day to bring in a replacement, but his efforts came to no avail.

Now the pressure will be on Shola Ameobi, Leon Best and Peter Lovenkrands to produce the goals in Carroll's absence and keep Newcastle in the Premier League.

No pressure lads.

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9379947.stm

Fulham    v    Newcastle

Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Barclays Premier League

Home Team Score Away Team Time

Fulham v  Newcastle 20:00

Fulham 0 Newcastle 0 Barclays Premier League

Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Wednesday, 2 February Kick-off: 2000 GMT

Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 2 and highlights on Match of the Day; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS

New Fulham loan signings Gael Kakuta and Eidur Gudjohnsen could make their first appearances for the club.

Nigerian midfielder Dickson Etuhu continues to struggle with a hamstring injury, while Mark Schwarzer will not play following his Asian Cup exploits.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew may be tempted to include Stephen Ireland following the midfielder's loan move from Aston Villa.

Midfielder Cheik Tiote serves the final match of his three-game suspension.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham

Doubtful: Etuhu (hamstring)

Injured/unavailable: Briggs (calf), Schwarzer (fatigue), Senderos (Achilles), Zamora (broken leg)

Newcastle

Suspended: Tiote (one match)

Injured: Ben Arfa (broken leg), Gosling (knee), Smith & R Taylor (both ankle), S Taylor (hamstring)

MATCH PREVIEW
Another new era dawns for Newcastle United as the Tyneside club begin life without Andy Carroll following the striker's extraordinary transfer deadline day move to Liverpool.

We lacked a cutting edge earlier this season and that was hurting us, but now we are getting the players back we are turning that around

Fulham boss Mark Hughes
Despite manager Alan Pardew's insistence that boyhood Magpies fan Carroll would not be sold for any price, a record fee for a British player was clearly just too good to turn down, and Pardew will be desperate to lift the gloom on Tyneside with a morale-boosting three points at Craven Cottage.

Fulham come into the game off the back of a hugely impressive FA Cup victory over Tottenham, a display that brought back memories of the Cottagers' run to last season's Europa Cup final and has been widely hailed as the most complete performance of Mark Hughes's reign.

The result was vindication for Hughes, who has long maintained that performances would improve with the return to fitness of key players including Andrew Johnson and Moussa Dembele, and with Bobby Zamora edging closer to a first-team comeback after five months out with a broken leg, confidence is high in west London.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Fulham lead the overall head-to-head count by 25 wins to 24, with 13 draws.

• November's reverse fixture at St James' Park ended 0-0.

606: DEBATE
Have your say on this match 
Fulham

• Mark Hughes is unbeaten in his last six Premier League matches against Newcastle.

• The Cottagers are the only Premier League club not to have a player sent off this season. The last Fulham player to see red was Kagisho Dikgacoi at West Ham in October 2009, a run of 55 matches.

Newcastle

• Newcastle are unbeaten in the league in 2011 (W2 D2).

• Only the top four clubs have scored more league goals than Newcastle this season, with Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan accounting for 21 of their 36 goals so far.

• Nolan is one goal shy of 50 in the Premier League.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham

Dempsey: 9 goals (8 league); Kamara: 5 goals (2 league)

Newcastle

Nolan 10 goals (10 league); Ameobi: 7 goals (4 league)

NB. Carroll scored 11 goals (11 league) for Newcastle

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Mike Jones

Assistant referees: Dave Bryan & Andy Newbold

Fourth official: Lee Probert

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (L0-1 v Liverpool, h): Stockdale, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Duff (Gera 63), Sidwell, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Andrew Johnson. Subs not used: Etheridge, Kelly, Salcido, Kamara, Greening, Davies.

Newcastle (D1-1 v Tottenham, h): Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Barton, Guthrie (Perch 74), Nolan, Gutierrez, Best (Lovenkrands 65), Ameobi (Ranger 88). Subs not used: Krul, Campbell, Xisco, Ferguson.

White Noise

FULHAM v Newcastle: Gudjohnsen and Kakuta poised for debuts

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:09 AM on 1st February 2011

New loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta could make their first appearances for Fulham in Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash against Newcastle.

Gudjohnsen has been registered for the Cottagers after completing his loan move from Stoke while Kakuta missed Sunday's 4-0 win over Tottenham as he was cup-tied.

Just along the road: Kakuta (right) has made the short journey to Fulham

David Stockdale is likely to continue in goal as Mark Schwarzer is tired after his exploits with Australia in the Asian Cup and Dickson Etuhu is a doubt with a hamstring injury.

Provisional squad: Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Riise, Murphy, Sidwell, Etuhu, Duff, Dempsey, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Kamara, Gera, Dembele, Etheridge, Salcido, Greening, A Johnson, Halliche. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352428/FULHAM-v-Newcastle-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-Gael-Kakuta-poised-debuts.html#ixzz1ChnQ9o5A

White Noise

Cottage Fortress

Tuesday 1st February 2011

Fulham further built on their fine recent home form on Sunday with an emphatic four-goal victory over Tottenham in the FA Cup.

The win was Fulham's fourth consecutive victory at the Cottage and, speaking to fulhamfc.com, defender Aaron Hughes was particularly pleased with the Whites' form of late.

"From Christmas onwards we've had some really good performances and really good results," he explained. "Even in the couple of games where we haven't got anything – we feel as though we deserved more out of them.

"When teams come to the Cottage we want to make sure we give them a tough game, we want them to know that when they come here they're in for a hard time.

"The Spurs game was all about getting through; you'd take a one-nil with the ball bouncing in off someone's knee. But to come away with a four-nil win is a good result.

"It was a great win, we got off to a great start it was important after getting a couple of goals not to give anything away at the back. We saw the game out really well; we scored some good goals and passed the ball around well – which is obviously going to be a little bit easier against ten men.

"Spurs are going well at the minute, they've been one of the teams of the season for sure. So we know when they come here that it's going to be a difficult game for us. They showed a lot of character against Inter Milan coming back so we wanted to make sure the same didn't happen here.

"The one thing we wanted to make sure of was getting a clean sheet and not letting them back in the game. It was also good for Stocko [David Stockdale] to get a clean sheet because his form since he's come in has been fantastic."

The Whites will now face either Wigan Athletic or Bolton Wanders in the next round, and Hughes is confident that Fulham will be able to produce another sterling performance.

"In the FA Cup the most you can hope for is a home draw, you've just got to take the game as and when it comes. If we put on the same type of performance and show the same attitude we showed against Spurs, we've got as good a chance against anyone."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/AaronHughesHomeForm.aspx#ixzz1ChvGBMAG

White Noise

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/brown-healy-will-be-a-winner-for-walter-1.1082955

Brown: Healy will be a winner for Walter

Craig Brown was impressed by David Healy when he managed him at Preston

1 Feb 2011

Craig Brown believes Rangers have signed one of the best finishers in the business in David Healy.

The Aberdeen manager had Northern Ireland's record goalscorer at Preston North End eight years ago and rated him highly.

"He is a magnificent finisher," said Brown. "You'll hardly find a better striker of the ball, with either foot.

"If you look at the goal he scored for Northern Ireland against England in the World Cup qualifier in 2005, that's what he did at Preston.

"When I had him he was player of the year will all the supporters clubs."

When the 31-year-old frontman, who moved several times after Brown was his manager, was at Fulham and was wanted by Sunderland, Roy Hodgson, the manager at Craven Cottage at the time, asked Brown, then a club consultant, for his views on a possible swap deal.

"He said Sunderland had offered Fulham any player as part of the deal. They were desperate to get him.

"Eric Black, the assistant manager at Sunderland, knows a striker and he wanted Healy.

"I told Roy to go for Dickson Etuhu who had been at Preston with me. So they swopped him for Healy and Etuhu was a sensation at Fulham.

"But Healy will be motivated by going to Rangers. He's not quick, though he has quick feet and can jink past players.

"And with the minimum of back lift there is nobody strikes a ball better or more accurately than him.

"The Old Firm get lots of scoring chances in games. He's a certainty to score for Rangers."

Healy could face some of his new Ibrox team-mates after being drafted into the Northern Ireland squad that will face Scotland next week.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/02/football-news/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-newcastle

Premier League preview: Fulham v Newcastle

Date: 1st February 2011 at 10:42 am | Written by FFC News Desk

Newcastle United will begin life without Andy Carroll when they travel to Fulham in the Premier League on Wednesday.

The 21-year-old striker has played a huge role in guiding Newcastle to ninth spot in the league this campaign in just their first season back in the top flight, but has now made the move west to Premier League rival Liverpool for a whopping 35 million pounds.

The Magpies were reluctant to let the England international leave St James' Park, but the British record transfer fee proved too good to pass up.

However, a thigh injury has kept Carroll out of the Newcastle line-up since late December, meaning manager Alan Pardew has had time to reshuffle his forward pack.

Captain Kevin Nolan will take on the bulk of the responsibility for scoring goals for Pardew's side, beginning on Wednesday against Fulham, with the veteran having already struck 10 times this season.

The Cottagers have moved to address their own goal scoring issues by signing former Barcelona and Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen from Stoke.

Fulham have scored just 25 goals in 24 matches this season, making them the fifth-lowest scoring side in the Premier League.

Key striker Bobby Zamora has been sidelined for most of the season with a broken leg, and manager Mark Hughes will no doubt be hoping Gudjohnsen can help take some of the pressure off midfielder Clint Dempsey, who tops Fulham's goal scoring list with eight.

Fulham had no problems finding the back of the net in their FA Cup fourth-round tie against Tottenham on Sunday, with Hughes' side hammering Spurs 4-0 at Craven Cottage.

Newcastle have been away at a training camp in Portugal for the past week and should be well rested for what should be an intense contest.

White Noise

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/weekend/0910023.php

More penalties at Craven Cottage as Fulham spanked shell shocked Tottenham Hotspur. Another example of a defender tackling with the wrong leg with little or no hope of getting the ball.

Alan Hutton had no chance and brought down Clint Dempsey. Phil Dowd was right to award the spot kick. The second one was more contentious.

The ref did well to see the tug, played advantage and in the next split second the shot was saved. No advantage, so penalty, and with Dawson being the last man and the forward heading towards goal it was an obvious goal scoring opportunity, so he had to go.

Some suggested that he would not have been sent off if Fulham had scored. That's right, because then he would not have denied the goal scoring opportunity

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/02/gatesy%e2%80%99s-transfer-window-roundup/

Gatesy's Transfer Window Roundup

by gatesy on February 1, 2011

Sky Sports News didn't lie to us. It was all happening in the transfer market yesterday. Though for large parts of the day fans of people reporting of not a lot and reporters stood outside empty training grounds would have been in their element, in total over £200m was spent on player transfers in the UK. If you weren't able to sit glued to the TV all day yesterday, here's what happened.

Inside the last hour before the window slammed shut there was the hum of activity at Motspur Park. Eider Gudjohnsen signed a loan deal until the conclusion of the season while Eddie Johnson made the trip to Preston where he'll stay for the next 92 days. Upon the clubs announcement of the later on Facebook the comment 'Thank God' was numerous and among the nicest ones posted. While earlier in the day youngster Marsh Brown went on a months long stay to MK Dons. And with Sidwell and Kakuta signing earlier in the window it seems a pretty solid month of business for the club.

Away from the Cottage and that lot down the road were splashing the cash again last night, even after reporting a £71m loss for the year. An interesting figure is that, not including any money spent on paying Ray Wilkins off, the blues have shelled out £35.6m in compensation to coaches and managers over the last four years.

They coughed up £21m for defender Luiz along with a massive £50m for the services of Fernando Torres yesterday. This being the same Torres who, not even a month ago went on record as saying:

"More than ever, we need to stick together...My head is in Liverpool and on helping to save our season. I am a professional and I always fulfill my deals. I haven't considered leaving, although in football that always depends on the club"

And but three short weeks later had done a complete turn about, and showing all the class you'd expect from his new club said, in a parting shot:

"This is the target for every footballer – to try to play for one of the top clubs in the world and I can do it now. I have to be very, very happy as I am.

Andy Carroll signed a new deal at Newcastle in the Autumn and said at the time:

"I've signed a five-year contract and I'm delighted with that. This is the club and the city for me, and always will be. If somebody told me that I could stay here for my whole career then I would be delighted"

With his gaffer saying at the start of last month:

"We will give the answer to any club that contacts us this month that Andy is not for sale. I can't say strongly enough that Andy will not leave this window"

And then, a week later, reiterating it (Can you see where I'm going with this yet?):

"They can put together whatever they like. He is not for sale. I am going to say it one last time, he is not for sale"

It writes itself really, he upped sticks yesterday and moved when Liverpool, flush with all this cash they'd just received, splashed 35 million of those pounds on him, who'll be leading their line alongside fellow new boy Suarez.

And although Carroll claims he was forced out of the Norf-east Club Pardew disagrees and feels his head was turned by a big fat old pile of wonga.

"Personally, I'm disappointed. He's a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can't change that. Was this about football? That's what you have to ask. I don't think it was."

The Barcodes brought in the tasteful Stephen Ireland on loan to bolster their midfield, but missed out on Southampton's Puncheon, who although starting to make his way to the other St James Park instead found himself at the Sea-side with Blackpool after their offer was guzzumped.

A stalwart of last minute transfer day deals is 'Arry. And despite him claiming he wasn't in the market to do any business it turns out he'd tried a trademark last gasp bid for Blackpool's Charlie Adam, only to be thwarted by the clock.

"Daniel was dealing with it...I think it was about four minutes to 11 and it looked like we were going to pull it off...we needed a couple of signatures from a couple of shareholders and we ran out of time."

Leaving White Heart Lane was Robbie Keane making a transfer deadline day move for the third consecutive season. This time it was just the short hop to join Wham on loan. On loan? Hang on, what was it 'Arry said on 14th January?

"I think West Ham wanted to loan Robbie but he's not for loan, it wouldn't be a loan anywhere. We couldn't loan him out again – he went out on loan last year. So if somebody wants him, they're going to have to buy him now."

Talking of West Ham, remember when they pulled out of the deal to sign our new number 7 Steve Sidwell back in the middle of the last month? Karren Brady explained why in her Sun column:

"In the end it was decided that, with 13 midfielders and most of the injured about to return, we couldn't promise him regular first-team football"

Well, the 'Ammers tied up the deal to sign Middleborough's midfielder Gary O'Neil last Tuesday and over the weekend Swansea went public with the news they'd rejected an offer for their Midfielder, and ex-White, Darren Pratley from them.

Of course there were loads of others around the country, a full list being here if you fancy a squizz.

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/49887/Fulham_thankful_to_Gud_samaritans_Stoke_.aspx

Fulham thankful to 'Gud samaritans' Stoke

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:01 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Eidur Gudjohnsen underwent his medical at Stoke before making his deadline-beating loan switch to Fulham for the rest of the season.

The 32-year-old Iceland international had found his first-team opportunities limited at the Britannia Stadium following his arrival from Monaco on a one-year deal back in September.

Gudjohnsen agreed personal terms with Fulham before passing a medical, which was carried out in Stoke so that his loan deal could be completed in time.

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis has nothing but praise for the former Chelsea and Barcelona player, who helped Tottenham Hotspur clinch a fourth-place finish last season when he joined at this stage.

"He has been an outstanding professional and a great influence around the place in his time here," the Stoke manager told the official club website.

"Unfortunately, he didn't get the games that he needed to build up his match fitness, but this loan move presents him with a chance to do that."

Gudjohnsen failed to make an impact at the Britannia Stadium, making just four substitute appearances in the Premier League.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/2010-january-transfer-roundup/

2010 January Transfer Roundup

Filed under: Analysis — timmyg @ 6:11 pm

Ah, the obligatory transfer roundup post. Before we begin the beguine though, let's look back five years and put this window into a bit of perspective.

2006 January Transfer Window IN

GK Tony Warner Cardiff City Undisclosed
MF Simon Elliott Columbus Crew Free
GK Antti Niemi Southampton Undisclosed
MF Michael Brown Sheffield United Undisclosed
DF Wayne Bridge Chelsea Loan

2007 January Transfer Window IN

FW Vincenzo Montella A.S. Roma Loan
MF Clint Dempsey New England Revolution £1.5m
MF Simon Davies Everton Undisclosed
MF Alexey Smertin Dynamo Moscow Free

2008 January Transfer Window IN

DF Brede Hangeland Copenhagen Undisclosed
MF Leon Andreasen Werder Bremen Undisclosed
FW Eddie Johnson Kansas City Wizards Undisclosed
DF Toni Kallio Young Boys Undisclosed
FW Jari Litmanen Malmo Free
DF Paul Stalteri Tottenham Hotspur

Loan 2009 January Transfer Window IN

MF Giles Barnes Derby County Loan
MF Olivier Dacourt Inter Milan Loan
MF Julian Gray Coventry City Undisclosed

2010 January Transfer Window IN

FW Stefano Okaka AS Roma loan
DF Nicky Shorey Aston Villa loan
DF Christopher Buchtmann Liverpool Undisclosed

2011 January Transfer Window IN

MF Steve Sidwell Aston Villa Fulham Undisclosed
MF Gaël Kakuta Chelsea Fulham Loan
FW Eidur Gudjohnsen Stoke City Fulham Loan

Chris Coleman deserves many plaudits for addressing momentary failings while also strengthing for the future. Antti Niemi would be a fixture in goal for the next 2 seasons — and probably more had he not severely injured himself. Clint Dempsey is currently the squad's MVP, and Simon Davies scored a goal in a European final.

Outside of the 2008 January Transfer window, when he had just taken just charge and basically had a summer's worth of dealings truncated into 31 days, Roy's dealings made little lasting impact. None of the players signed in January 2009 and 2010 were with the club come May. In 2009, only Dacourt even saw the field. In 2010, Shorey and Okaka, although giving rest to our non-cup tied XI, played in (let's face it) some pretty meaningless league games.

It's also probably worth pointing out that some (once) key players have also left Fulham during the January period: notably Luis Boa Morte in 2007 and Jimmy Bullard in 2009.

So what to make of this year's newbies? Is Hughes taking the Cookie route, or the Roy route of merely looking for squad players?

Steve Sidwell is another defensive center mid that will give Etuhu a bit of competition — according to Colin's database, Etuhu is number two in Sidwell's similarity score list. Football365 even put this transfer in their Top 10:

7 – Steve Sidwell (undisc from Aston Villa to Fulham)
Languishing in the reserves at Aston Villa, Sidwell's career could charitably have been described as 'stalled.' He clearly needed to get out, but his move to Fulham turned out to be excellent not just because it got him out of the Villa stiffs, but because he didn't end up signing for West Ham. Indeed, in pulling out of the deal because the Hammers apparently had too many midfielders (Mediawatch has dealt with their pursuit of other men in that position), Karren Brady did Sidwell a favour. Would you prefer a stable club whose form seems to be turning around, or a basket case at the bottom of the league? Tough call.

Although some say  they see little in Sidwell that Greening cannot do, maybe Sabermetrics could prove otherwise?

Kakuta is a bit of a mystery, considering he's barely featured for Chelsea after putting them through so much trouble (weep). But even at age 19, he does bring some Champions League experience. Not that I put any stock into that, but it sure sounds official and something a pundit would say. He could be a squad player, but I have a feeling he may see some games.

Gudjohsen is definitely past his prime, but can do some patchwork for us until Bobby is 110% (which I'm betting is in early March). His winning goal against Stoke City last winter helped Spurs be in a position to qualify for the Champions League. The goal against us in the FA Cup effectively ruined all dreams of Wembley. Like Kakuta, Eidur is one to bolster the bench but will be surely called upon when needed.

On the flip side, Fulham saw 5 exits this window. Going out was David Elm, who appeared just once this season, on the bench for opening day, and his Swedish compatriot Fredrik Stoor. Although Stoor at least registered on Soccernet's transfer tally, he made 9 appearances for a mere 526 minutes in his 2.5 seasons with the club.

Also going out was young gun Robert Milsom left for Aberdeen, which considering the current glut at midfield is no surprise.

Leaving on loan was Keanu Marsh-Brown to MK Dons, and Eddie Johnson to Preston North End. Although many fans will be happy to see the backside of EJ, he may at least play a part in Preston's survival. I know I'll be following him with the rebirth of the loaner reports.

Rich wrote last week about what he thought the side needed during this window. Well, we got our center mid and center forward (sorta). And with Senderos (remember him?) yet to make an appearance this season but coming back from injury, that's essentially a signing right there.

Plus, with the same about to happen Zamora in a month or so, and AJ's seeming return to form, making it rain for some other striker wasn't necessary after all.

White Noise

Smart Moves

Amid the flurry of high profile transfers that took place on Monday evening, one signing certainly grabbed the attention of Fulham fans as the clock ticked down on the January window.

Mark Hughes bolstered his forward line by securing a late loan deal for former Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen from Stoke City. The Icelandic striker's arrival in SW6 followed the news that US striker Eddie Johnson would be spending the remainder of the season on loan at Preston North End.

Earlier on Monday evening the Club agreed to send Academy graduate and Development squad player Keanu Marsh-Brown out on loan to MK Dons.

Monday's activity followed some smart work earlier in the month with Steve Sidwell signing a deal which could see the player remain at the Cottage until the summer of 2014.

Mark Hughes' attacking options were also reinforced with the addition of Gael Kakuta on loan from Chelsea until the end of the season.

Three players left Fulham Football Club in January. The Swedish duo of Fredrik Stoor and David Elm left for Valerenga Fotball and IF Elfsborg respectively whilst Rob Milsom headed for Aberdeen on a permanent basis. The Club would like to wish all three players the best of luck for the future.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/TransferRoundUp.aspx#ixzz1CjeS5aWi

White Noise

Newcastle Next Up

Newcastle United were last at Craven Cottage in November 2008 when a goal from Andrew Johnson and a Danny Murphy penalty secured a 2-1 win. Newcastle were relegated at the end of that season, but breezed back in style last term, winning the Championship by a clear 11 points and remaining unbeaten at home in the process.

The architect of the promotion success was manager Chris Hughton, and the much-respected coach remained in charge at the start of this season before being surprisingly dismissed in early December despite a creditable mid-table position.

His replacement was the experienced Alan Pardew, the former Reading and West Ham boss having been out of the game for a few months following his own shock departure from Southampton earlier in the campaign.

Despite the new appointment, Newcastle have continued to blow hot and cold results wise. Having started the year with a blistering 5-0 home win over struggling West Ham they were then knocked out of the FA Cup by League Two newcomers Stevenage. The Hammers match was their third big home score line of the season after Aston Villa were beaten 6-0 back in August and neighbours Sunderland endured a 5-1 humiliation three months later.

The Magpies have thus far enjoyed four wins on the road including a 1-0 success at Arsenal. The same scoreline was recorded at Everton and Wigan, and they also came out on top by the odd goal in three at Upton Park. Conversely, they conceded five at Bolton and three apiece at Manchester United and West Bromwich Albion, the latter, a 3-1 reverse, proved to be Hughton's last game in charge.

Midfielders Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan have been prominent for Newcastle, whilst there has been a return to form for defender Steven Taylor. However star striker Andy Carroll signed for Liverpool on Monday during the final hours of the January transfer window.

Comfortably placed in the top 10 at the moment, Pardew's side will be hoping to finish the season strongly in the hope of qualifying for Europe.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/NewcastleNextUp.aspx#ixzz1Cjf7qAx0

White Noise

Varsity Boat Race

This year's Varsity Boat Race takes place on Saturday 26th March and Craven Cottage is the perfect location to watch the drama unfold. The event is in association with SEAT.

Last year saw over 2,000 people take advantage of the great views, entertainment and first class hospitality from our delightful Riverside Terrace.

Why not take your day to the next level with one of our superb hospitality options, available from just £45 (+VAT) per person?

George Cohen Lounge
Three-course meal with wine and water.
Tea and Coffee served throughout the day.
Full-cash bar available.
Price: £75.00 (+VAT) per person

Haynes Lounge
Two-course buffet.
Tea and coffee served throughout the day.
Full cash bar facility.

Price: £45.00 (+ VAT) per person

Executive Suites (two-courses)
Two-course buffet with wine and water.
Full-cash bar available.

Price: £650 (+ VAT) for 10 guests.

Executive Suites (three-courses)
Three-course meal with wine and water.
Full-cash bar available.

Price: £750 (+VAT) for 10 guests

Group bookings and bespoke packages available on request. Places are extremely limited, so book early to ensure you don't miss out.

If you have any questions or need advice, call 020 8336 7555 or drop us a line

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Hospitality/SpecialOffersAndEvents/VarsityBoatRace.aspx#ixzz1CjflnBW0

White Noise

Matchday Programme

Pick up the essential matchday accompaniment on Wednesday evening for a lasting memento of your trip to the Cottage to watch the Whites against Newcastle United.

In buoyant mood after Sunday's 4-0 FA Cup demolition of Tottenham, Mark Hughes' side host a team unbeaten in the Premier League in 2011, but one reeling from the shock departure of top scorer Andy Carroll to Liverpool on transfer deadline day.

It promises to be an entertaining match and a great atmosphere, so make your matchday experience complete with a copy of the award winning 84-page programme, and you'll automatically be entered into the Lucky Programme Number draw giving you the chance of winning top of the range products from Jack Wolfskin.

This week's essential Matchday read includes:

An exclusive one-on-one feature interview with man of the moment Mousa Dembélé.
Fulham Manager Mark Hughes reflects on his January transfer business.
Danny Murphy on the great FA Cup win over Spurs.
Rafik Halliche discusses his first six months in England.
WIN a selection of Jack Wolfskin goodies in the Lucky Programme Number draw.
Expert Analysis with former Newcastle stalwart John Anderson.
Inside the Camp with Magpies defender Mike Williamson.
The popular Black & White Eye, covering all things Fulham.
Guest column from Labour MP and Fulham fanatic Steve Pound.
Match action from our games against Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.
Unprecedented fan interaction and tonnes of fun for younger fans too.
Plus, so much more besides!

The brilliant Matchday publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two hours before kick-off and at half-time.

If you miss your copy outside then look out for sellers on the Putney and Hammersmith Terrace, or at half-time from the programme room situated inside the Johnny Haynes Stand by Block E (opposite Turnstile 24).

Buy Matchday Programmes online|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Fanzone/FFCMatchdayProgramme.aspx#ixzz1Cjg4jyaU

White Noise

Eidur's Arrival

Eidur Gudjohnsen took part in his first training session with Fulham on Tuesday morning ahead of Wednesday night's Barclays Premier League match against Newcastle at the Cottage|.

The former Barcelona striker is expected to be included in Mark Hughes' squad for Wednesday's game and is clearly looking forward to getting his career back on track after a difficult spell at Stoke City.

"I'm really relieved and glad it's over and done with," Gudjohnsen told fulhamfc.com. "It was a day of uncertainty on Monday but I'm delighted. I'm looking forward to the second part of the season with Fulham. Hopefully I can get my career back on track.

"I'm grateful for this chance and it's a great opportunity for me to show what I can do. I fully intend to make the most of my time here and then we'll see what the future holds.

"My situation wasn't great at Stoke in all honesty and I've got the opportunity to come here and impress the Manager and get games under my belt and help Fulham push forward. Whether I'm setting up goals or scoring doesn't really matter to me as long as the Team's moving in the right direction.

"I'll be in the squad that reports for Wednesday night's game against Newcastle but in all fairness it will be a little too early to go straight into it. I thoroughly enjoyed my first training session today and I just hope to be a positive influence.

"Obviously there's big competition for places here at Fulham but I'll do my best to bring out my qualities and help the Team between now and the end of the season.

"I think this Team's got a lot of quality and the position in the League doesn't reflect that. I know all about the area and the Club so coming to Fulham was an easy decision for me."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/GudjohnsenSigns.aspx#ixzz1Cjsga3Vk

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/02/01/fulham-v-newcastle-preview-andy-carrolls-exit-stunned-alan-par/

Fulham v Newcastle Preview: Andy Carroll's Exit Stunned Alan Pardew

01/2/2011 10:17 AM GMT By Ben Hunt

PREMIER LEAGUE: CRAVEN COTTAGE, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 2, 2011. KICK-OFF: 2000 GMT

When the January transfer window closed on Monday, it is fair to assume these two sides would have been left with polarising emotions.

Fulham were able to add three useful players to their ranks in Steve Sidwell, Gael Kakuta and Eidur Gudjohnsen, they were also able to retain the services of defender Brede Hangeland.

They can be pleased with the outcome, but Newcastle will be feeling somewhat shell-shocked, despite managing to sign Stephen Ireland on loan from Aston Villa.

United were stunned by the departure of Andy Carroll to Liverpool for £35 million, an astonishing amount of money for an inexperienced striker.

Even manager Alan Pardew admitted it was an "extraordinary" figure for a 21-year-old who has played for only six months in the Premier League. "The fact it's so huge is because of the timing of it," he said. "We did not want to lose Andy. If Andy had really wanted to stay, he could have stayed, but he is not here."

Some will argue that fee was simply too good to refuse. Yet while Carroll was rubber-stamping his deal at Anfield, the reality of what was left at Newcastle was finally setting in.

A late attempt to re-sign Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan - reportedly for double the £6 million sum they sold him for just two seasons ago - showed Newcastle were aware of their lack of firepower.

Pardew will start life without his striker at Craven Cottage while the backlash against Mike Ashley's ownership will no doubt resurface.

Key Match-up: Steve Sidwell v Joey Barton Sidwell is beginning to find his feet again at Fulham after warming the bench at Chelsea and Villa Park. The midfielder is a talented passer of the ball and gives Fulham an attacking presence in the middle of the pitch, while he is also not afraid to make tackles. Newcastle's very own midfield enforcer Barton will be looking to keep Sidwell's involvement to a minimum. Barton will need no more incentive than the arrival of Stephen Ireland on loan to prove to his manager that he should retain his place in the starting line up.

Form Guide: Fulham have been progressing nicely in the Premier League and can consider themselves unlucky not to have earned a point against Liverpool but for John Pantsil's unfortunate own goal. The 4-0 victory over Tottenham in the FA Cup last weekend will have given Fulham renewed confidence, while adding to their impressive home record. Newcastle's form has also been good. Wins over West Ham and Wigan have been matched by draws against Tottenham and Sunderland.

Odds: Fulham 11/10, Newcastle 13/5, Draw 23/10
Tweeter Facebook FourSquare iPhoneFULHAM:
Aaron Hughes is pleased with how Fulham have climbed away from the relegation zone, largely thanks to their home form.

The Northern Ireland international is now confident they can repeat their performance against Spurs when they face Newcastle in the Premier League.

He told the club's website: "From Christmas onwards we've had some really good performances and really good results.

"Even in the couple of games where we haven't got anything - we feel as though we deserved more out of them.

"When teams come to the Cottage we want to make sure we give them a tough game, we want them to know that when they come here they're in for a hard time.

"The Spurs game was all about getting through; you'd take a one-nil with the ball bouncing in off someone's knee. But to come away with a four-nil win is a good result.

"It was a great win, we got off to a great start it was important after getting a couple of goals not to give anything away at the back.

"We saw the game out really well; we scored some good goals and passed the ball around well -- which is obviously going to be a little bit easier against ten men.

"The one thing we wanted to make sure of was getting a clean sheet and not letting them back in the game. It was also good for David Stockdale to get a clean sheet because his form since he's come in has been fantastic."

Strategy: Manager Mark Hughes will be reluctant to make changes from the side that beat Spurs, so loan signings Gudjohnsen and Kakuta may have to settle for a place on the bench. Andrew Johnson looks set to keep his place in attack despite coming off against Tottenham.

Injury Update: Dickson Etuhu (hamstring) is poised to miss out along with goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer who has just returned from the Asian Cup with Australia. Philippe Senderos (Achilles) and Bobby Zamora (broken leg) remain absent.

NEWCASTLE UNITED:
Pardew's team have adapted to life without Carroll during his recent absence because of a thigh injury. But this is different.

Now they go into a match knowing that the goalscoring responsibilities lie with Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and Shola Ameobi for the rest of the season.

Despite Best's hat-trick against West Ham last month, the trio cannot guarantee to stretch Premier League defences on a regular basis until the end of the season.

The loss of Carroll may also have an effect on the morale of a team, who appreciated his qualities and will detect a lack of ambition at any club prepared to sell a young talent who was prepared to stay.

Pardew accepts that his departure will damage the squad. "We are going to miss Andy Carroll in the dressing room as a player and a character," he said.

"I think, in some of the things he said, he's slightly misguided. We certainly didn't twist his arm to put in the request or get on the helicopter.

"He had a five-year contract, a contract we said we would renew in the summer. He wanted to renew it straightaway. He made it clear he wanted to renew it now, and wanted to speak to Liverpool. That was when the power shifted."

Pardew added:"It does not feel good. It is difficult because I have to prepare a team for Fulham.

"The players feel the same, and of course the fans too. Their big icon has left the club. What we are going to do? It is a question we have to ask as a group, and answer it emphatically, first and foremost at Fulham. That has to be spot on. The players have been terrific without Andy and we have to carry that on."

This game will give an important clue to what lies ahead for United this season. They should be safe, but they are in a league where three successive setbacks can leave a team back in trouble.

Ireland has been the only recruit during the transfer window, but a hamstring injury will rule him out for the next two weeks.

Pardew said:"Stephen has shown over the past few seasons that he's a top player, so we're really pleased to have got him until the end of the season.

"As a creative midfielder he can create chances for others and score goals himself, and we think he can be a big factor for us in the second part of this season.

"I think Stephen feels he can deliver more than he's shown at Villa so far, so he's got a point to prove and I believe we can reap the benefits of that."

Strategy: Carroll's departure will not change Pardew's approach dramatically. He has been prepared to play two strikers while the £35 million man has been injured in recent weeks and will continue to be positive, although Ireland's presence may prompt Pardew to employ one front man, with the new signing and Kevin Nolan given a licence to break forward whenever possible.

Injury Update: Steven Taylor is close to a return after hamstring trouble, but is unlikely to be risked here. Ireland's hamstring problem rules him out, while Ryan Taylor, Hatem Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling and Alan Smith are still out. Cheik Tiote is suspended.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6716854,00.html

Gudjohnsen - Style didn't fit

Iceland striker feels Stoke's physical approach did not suit him

Eidur Gudjohnsen has criticised Stoke's style of play after leaving the Potters to join Fulham.

The Iceland striker made a deadline day loan move to the Cottagers after a difficult spell at the Britannia Stadium, where he made just four substitute appearances.

Stoke boss Pulis accused the 32-year-old of failing to reach the fitness levels required at the club after joining on a one-year deal from Monaco in August, limiting his contribution to a minimal amount.

However, the former Chelsea and Barcelona player has hit back, stating that his style of play did not fit with Stoke's physical brand of football.

Mixture
When asked why it did not work out in his five months at the Potteries, Gudjohnsen told Sky Sports News: "A mixture of things - nothing I want to go into too deeply, but first and foremost I think style of play was the biggest factor."

"Just maybe slightly different views on the way football is played between me and way Stoke play.

"I didn't really adapt to it, and didn't get the chance to adapt to it because I didn't start any games. It was a difficult time."