watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (01.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 01, 2011, 07:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/gudjohnsen_tells_of_full_of_himself_city_star_628003/index.shtml

Gudjohnsen Tells Of 'Full Of Himself' City Star

By Dan Buxton Tuesday, 1st February 2011

Mystery surrounds who Icelandic star is talking about in interview with Icelandic radio station

Eidur Gudjohnsen has told of how he rates Potters boss Tony Pulis, the clubs facilities and the squad, apart from one member of the side who 'seemed destined to make this a hard stay for me'.

Gudjohnsen only made five appearances, all from the bench, during his stay with the Potters, which ended last night when the former Chelsea and Barcelona star joined Fulham for the rest of the season after he struggled to get match fit after arriving from Monaco severely out of shape.

The Icelandic icon has today been talking with a radio station in his homeland and had the following to say.

"Stoke is a very decent club but it just didnt work our for me there," said Gudjohnsen.

"The first day I went there I felt something. This was a club I could see myself at and I knew I had to change my playing style and I was very happy when I signed. But after a while I knew something wasnt right, I was away from my family and that made it harder."

"I worked really hard on the training ground but I was getting no game time, so it always felt like I was starting from scratch as each weekend went by. I kept telling myself, all I need is to start one game and i'll show the real me. But it never happened sadly."

"There are some good players at Stoke and the manager is a good premiership manager, however there was one individual who seemed determined to make this a hard stay for me. I have played alongside and trained with Messi, Henry, Ronaldinho, Drogba and others but I have never met an individual so full of himself. If I bumped into him at the training ground, I was worried he would literally explode. And frankly that got on my nerve, he will never be a Messi and he will never play for Barcelona or win the Champions League."

White Noise

http://www.leazesterrace.com/preview-fulham-a-02-02-2011/

Preview: Fulham (A)

Hardman, Grant, leads the Fulham Firm's charge on the away fans..

02.02.11 – Wednesday – 7:45pm

Barclays Premier League

Location: Craven Cottage: seemingly older than the battle of Trafalgar, lovingly restored in the not too distant past thus maintaining a lot of its original charm.  Small, compact and built on a strip of land on which you would struggle to fit a cycle path, but brimming with character and personality – I would take it over a flat pack stadium in a retail park any day.  Fulham's long term plans may require a move to pastures larger – if, or when it does happens it may not get the same media attention as, for example the loss of Highbury, but it will be no less deserving.

Pre-match Gut Feeling: Score draw.

Waffle: Newcastle enter the game on the back of a training camp trip to Portugal, emerging from a packed Christmas and new year schedule finally with a game-free weekend – the one useful outcome from our unspeakable demise at Stevena... Stevena.... I can't say it, you all know where and will be reminded of it for years to come via the BBC's merciless enjoyment on 3rd round day.  Fulham come into this game on the back of rousing and impressive 4-0 battering of Tottenham in the FA cup, playing with admirable  style and confidence and serving up a nice portion of egg delivered directly to happy 'arry Redknapp's face.  The footballing nation appreciates your efforts Fulham!  Also, Newcastle happened to lose a couple of players to transfers, nothing too important though...

The Gaffer: Mark Hughes:  Made a reputation being a very apt looking manager of the Welsh national team then ruined said reputation after taking over a Blackburn side and attempting to needlessly kick every team off the park, despite playing pretty decent football.  He left this baggage when he moved to Man City, doing a steady if not spectacular job – the apparent lack of spark contributing to his eventual dismissal.  In fairness the treatment he received after Man City were taken over by the hyper billionaire bond villain Sheik Mansour was extremely harsh, and undeserving of the continued progress made under Hughes' stewardship – his results tending towards the positive in the short time he had been in charge.  Spending a short period out of the game, he deservedly regained employment in his present post at Fulham, which after a slightly shaky start (arguably due to breaking the organised style of predecessor Hodgson in favour of a more fluid style) he has picked up more positive results.  Overall, Hughes is a fairly likeable man and manager, with a decent amount of grey matter between his ears to back that up. Managerial Career Win Ratio: 41% (25% with Fulham).

The Team: Famed for high levels of work rate and disciplined organisation under Hodgson, and viewing this season they have kept the work rate but opted for more fluidity. Despite suffering indifferent form this season Fulham aren't in possession of any huge immediate weaknesses, broadly home to a squad of sound athletic and technical professionals that on their day and at full strength can be a match to all but the very best.  Also, they have been recently bolstered by the addition of plundered Chelsea youngster, Gael Kakuta, on loan to go with Steve Sidwell who joined earlier this month after an 11th hour u-turn on a move to Wolves.

- Danger man: Danny Murphy: A wise and experienced head that dictates a large portion of Fulham's play with dynamic initiative, despite his advancing years, patrolling from box to box.  In addition, Clint Dempsey's technical ability, simplistic but effective nature and work rate are constant problem to any team, his late surging runs from midfield something which Stoke failed miserably to deal with in Fulham previous Premiership game.  Naturally, the colossus Brede Hangeland's threat at set pieces will be something that could quite easily cause problems, despite Newcastle's generally impressive defensive work on set plays this season.  Finally, a stringent eye will have to be kept on a lively Moussa Dembele, especially on the back of the impressive performance he delivered against Spurs on Sunday.

Pitch 1 shows the high involvement of Danny Murphy over a large area of the midfield – attempting 91 passes and completing 68. Note the range of passing, nearly all his unsuccessful passes being at fairly long range.  Pitch 2 shows Clint Dempsey's involvement, again over a broad area of the pitch despite his left midfield berth.    (Diagrams showing pass location and success red = unsuccessful, blue = successful)

- Possible weak point: Fulham's overlapping fullbacks.  In recent games Fulham have adopted a 4-4-2 formation but with Dempsey and Duff playing on flanks opposite to their natural side and driving towards goal rather than being out and out wingers. This approach has invited full-backs Pantsil and Baird to dive forward to provide width and crosses, playing more like wing backs.  This approach is positive, but also vulnerable to the counter attack – Man City capitalising prolifically earlier this season.  This all depends on the ability of the away side to break up Fulham's very efficient passing play (76% completed pass rate in their last league home game against Stoke).

Pitches 1 & 2 show Baird's and Pantsil's  locations respectively on the pitch, noting high involvement in opponents half. Pitch 3 shows Duff's inside play, but also noting his poor pass / cross completion in and around the opponents penalty area. (Diagrams showing pass location and success red = unsuccessful, blue = successful)

Tactical suggestions: The suggestion would be to play deep and narrow, but counter quickly and spread the ball into wide areas when in the attacking 3rd to exploit space.  Packing the away midfield may have to be resorted to, to counteract the overloading from the inside runs of Duff and Dempsey, and the box to box presence of Murphy – although with the combative Nolan and Barton we still have options to achieve this.  Gutierrez could potentially play a pivotal role in this game, his positioning being tracking back being the key to whether Pantsil has the freedom of the flank or leaves Hangeland and Hughes exposed to be flanked.  With the missing trio of Tiote, Ben Arfa and Carroll a draw would be an achievable and sensible result to go for, especially with Fulham's recent good home form.

Pantomime villain: A likeable club, team and set of fans all round...with the exception of Damien Duff.  Horrifically overpaid and wholly useless while at Newcastle, he hastily scampered away after our overdue relegation, quickly forgetting his contribution towards that through a stream of abysmal performances which, by no means were the only factor in our demise, but had a telling enough contribution.  He has since resurrected his career at Fulham – fair play to the club and him, but he won't be remembered with much fondness on after a largely forgettable and expensive 3 years on Tyneside.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sky-sports-plan-for-life-after-richard-keys-and-andy-gray-2201169.html

Sky Sports plan for life after Richard Keys and Andy Gray

PA

Tuesday, 1 February 2011

David Jones will present Sky Sports' Super Sunday coverage this weekend, the first such programme since the departure of usual presenters Richard Keys and Andy Gray.

Jones stood in for Keys for last week's Monday night match between Bolton and Chelsea after Keys and Gray were stood down following sexist comments made off-air about assistant referee Sian Massey and West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady on Saturday, January 22.

Gray was subsequently sacked by Sky, with Keys resigning a day later.

Jones will be joined in the studio on Sunday by regular Sky analysts Jamie Redknapp and Ray Wilkins.

Sky are keen to stress that presenting duties will, for now, be decided on a game-by-game basis but the move clearly indicates how well thought of Jones is and can only enhance his prospects of replacing Keys full-time.

Jones will also present coverage of the West Brom v Wigan match this evening, where the punditry will be provided by former Baggies favourite Cyrille Regis and ex-Wigan defender Arjan de Zeeuw.

Ed Chamberlin will head up Wednesday night's programme from Craven Cottage, where Fulham host Newcastle. Chris Coleman - who played for and managed the Cottagers - and former Newcastle and Fulham midfielder Lee Clark will be the match pundits.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/lets_move_on_up.php

Let's Move On Up

Posted by Phil Mison 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

35 MILL??? Getty Images

While still basking in the euphoria of our devastating display in the Cup, the Fulham squad must now shift focus to maintaining league status, starting with a win over Newcastle

Back into league action we go with a mid-week match up at home to the Magpies, and another chance to strut our stuff on TV, this time live on Sky. It would be pure Fulhamish to follow up Sunday's rout of Tottenham with a turgid display against one of the promoted sides.

I honestly can't see it happening though. Too many compelling reasons suggest three more points to ease us away from the drop zone. We were the width of the bar from taking all three points up there (Dembele's close range rocket) and two seasons ago condemned Shearer's love children to relegation by winning both home and away. The Toon don't usually do well down here against us, overall we've won more than we've lost in our history of meetings. United did sneak a lucky win on a sombre night at the Cottage in December 2007, but the silver lining from that loss was that it accelerated the departure of Sanchez and opened the door to Roy.

Alan Pardew's appointment before Christmas caused much headshaking among supporters well used to erratic behaviour from the unpopular Mike Ashley, but two wins and two draws in 2011 has silenced the critics. How the Toon army react to the sale of Carroll however we are yet to find out. Newcastle arrive in the same position as our last league visitors Stoke, 9th in the league and four points better off than us.

Carroll's sale has no effect on our tactics. He was already ruled out with a muscle strain. What I think of his move to Liverpool you can find below. The dangerous Kevin Nolan has been fighting a knock but should be fit, why Bolton ever sold him I will never know. As for Fulham, yes our loanees Kakuta and Eidur are available, I will be amazed to see either feature at all. Stockdale keeps his place in goal, Etuhu won't be risked and Sidwell looked totally convincing Sunday anyway. The team surely will be unchanged, unless Baird is over his virus and Hughes decides Salcido must step aside.

Our back line has been playing as well as at any time this season. With no chance at all yesterday to plug the hole left by Carroll's transfer demand - something that clearly irked Pardew and casts a big shadow over Newcastle's run in - I don't see the Magpies getting behind us.

So to the transfer window. I wrote it up earlier in January as 'Madness.' It ended yesterday in lemming-like lunacy, with Liverpool leading the charge over the abyss. Financial deficits and tight credit be damned as TEN times more money changed hands than a year ago. Fulham thank heavens stayed largely on the sidelines.

With little financial risk we have however added three exciting players who all have the ability to influence games. Welcome to Eidur and Gael. We know you play football in the right way and we look forward to being impressed when you get the chance. As for Sidwell, he's slotted straight in and looks just the ticket to alleviate the pressure on Danny. Professional job done by Mark and the board. The players may just be sensing Sparky's building something to match Hodgson's legacy in SW6, viz Gera's decision to rebut offers and fight for his place.

What a difference a month makes. Since Sunday I fear nobody, feel a Cup run blossoming, and later this month look forward to a lung bursting cheer when Bobby jogs back into first team action. If Carroll can command £35 million in the transfer market from half a season in the Prem how much for our own England striker?

Chelsea and the £50 million pound man mid-month? Bring it on!

The final word on transfer dealings belongs with Blackburn, where Newell's Old Boys Formica has been recruited to play in a flat pack four...

Keep the faith and Rock the Cottage Wednesday!

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

Gudjohnsen hopes last-minute Fulham switch will resurrect his faltering career

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:20 PM on 1st February 2011

Eidur Gudjohnsen hopes that his loan move to Fulham will kickstart his stuttering career.

Fulham signed Gudjohnsen on a six-month loan deal from Stoke just before the transfer window shut last night.

The Iceland striker's move to Craven Cottage brought to an end a torrid spell at the Potters, where he only made five substitute appearances after struggling to find fitness and form following his arrival from Monaco last summer.

Stop start: Eidur Gudjohnsen has struggled to find his best form since leaving Chelsea

Gudjohnsen has failed to hit the heights expected of him since he left Chelsea for Barcelona in a big-money move five years ago but he is now confident that a spell with Mark Hughes' side can help turn his career around.

'Hopefully I can get my career back on track,' the 32-year-old told Fulham's official website.

'I'm grateful for this chance and it's a great opportunity for me to show what I can do. I fully intend to make the most of my time here and then we'll see what the future holds.

'My situation wasn't great at Stoke in all honesty and I've got the opportunity to come here and impress the manager, get games under my belt and help Fulham push forward.'

Gudjohnsen and fellow loan signing Gael Kakuta could both make their debuts in tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash against Newcastle.

The Cottagers' squad have every reason to be confident of beating the Magpies having hammered Tottenham 4-0 on Sunday to record their fifth straight home win.

Bright prospect: Gael Kakuta will be hoping to impress Carlo Ancelotti during his loan spell

Gudjohnsen can either play up front or in the centre of midfield but Fulham are blessed in both departments, given the form of the likes of Danny Murphy and Mousa Dembele and the arrival of Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa.

But the former Chelsea man is determined to do all he can to get into Mark Hughes' starting XI and help the Londoners climb the table from their current position of 15th.

'Whether I'm setting up goals or scoring doesn't really matter to me as long as the team is moving in the right direction,' Gudjohnsen said.

'I thoroughly enjoyed my first training session and I just hope to be a positive influence.

'Obviously there's big competition for places here at Fulham but I'll do my best to bring out my qualities and help the team between now and the end of the season.

'I think this team's got a lot of quality and the position in the league doesn't reflect that. I know all about the area and the club so coming to Fulham was an easy decision for me.'

A New Year's Day defeat to Spurs and a narrow loss at Liverpool were the only blotches on what otherwise proved to be a good January for Fulham.

All talk of Hughes' leaving his post has now disappeared with the Londoners five points out of the relegation zone.

With a game at Aston Villa coming up on Saturday, Fulham now have a good chance of racking up yet more points to help them towards safety.

Brede Hangeland admits playing three games in seven days is tough but he hopes that the experience of playing in the club's European campaign last year will help.

Tough schedule: Brede Hangeland is confident Fulham can cope with playing three games in seven days

'It would be nice to have more rest but that's not the case, and we should be well trained in this because last year we played two games a week more or less the whole season,' the Norway defender said.

'I'm hoping we can get into that rhythm again. It looks like we're coping quite well at the moment.'

Hangeland warned that any complacency could plunge Fulham back into the drop zone though.

The 29-year-old added: 'The league is the most important thing and we're a bit too close to the bottom at the moment.

'We'll be looking to get away from there as soon as possible.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352611/Eidur-Gudjohnsen-hopes-Fulham-switch-resurrect-faltering-career.html#ixzz1CkAXBum3

White Noise

New boys ready for Fulham debuts

Published 16:19 01/02/11

By MirrorFootball

New loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta could make their first appearances for Fulham in tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash against Newcastle.

Gudjohnsen has been registered for the Cottagers after completing his loan move from Stoke late last night while Kakuta only missed Sunday's 4-0 win over Tottenham as he was cup-tied.

David Stockdale is likely to continue in goal as Mark Schwarzer is tired after his exploits with Australia in the Asian Cup, and midfielder Dickson Etuhu is a doubt with a hamstring injury.

Provisional squad: Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Riise, Murphy, Sidwell, Etuhu, Duff, Dempsey, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Kamara, Gera, Dembele, Etheridge, Salcido, Greening, A Johnson, Halliche.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-Newcastle-team-news-New-signings-Gudjohnsen-Kakuta-available-Stockdale-continues-in-goal-Etuhu-doubt-article687305.html#ixzz1CkLq7JLr

White Noise

Nolan returns as Newcastle launch post-Carroll era

Published 17:51 01/02/11

By MirrorFootball

Newcastle new boy Stephen Ireland will not figure against Fulham tomorrow night after arriving on Tyneside with an injury.

The midfielder, who has joined on loan from Aston Villa for the rest of the season, has a hamstring problem which is expected to sideline him for around two weeks.

Midfielder Cheik Tiote completes his three-match ban but skipper Kevin Nolan (ankle) and Danny Guthrie, who limped off with cramp during the 1-1 draw with Tottenham last time out, will be available.

Ryan Taylor (ankle), has returned to training, but Steven Taylor (hamstring), Dan Gosling (knee), Alan Smith (ankle) and Hatem Ben Arfa (broken leg) remain on the sidelines.

Provisional squad: Harper, Krul, Simpson, Perch, Ferguson, Enrique, Coloccini, Williamson, Campbell, Barton, Nolan, Gutierrez, Guthrie, Vuckic, Donaldson, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Best, Ranger.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-Newcastle-team-news-Nolan-Guthrie-return-from-injury-Tiote-suspended-Ireland-out-article687387.html#ixzz1CkMQxHi