Wednesday Fulham Stuff (02.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 02, 2011, 06:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/lets_move_on_up.php

Let's Move On Up

Posted by Phil Mison 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

35 MILL??? Getty Images

While still basking in the euphoria of our devastating display in the Cup, the Fulham squad must now shift focus to maintaining league status, starting with a win over Newcastle

Back into league action we go with a mid-week match up at home to the Magpies, and another chance to strut our stuff on TV, this time live on Sky. It would be pure Fulhamish to follow up Sunday's rout of Tottenham with a turgid display against one of the promoted sides.

I honestly can't see it happening though. Too many compelling reasons suggest three more points to ease us away from the drop zone. We were the width of the bar from taking all three points up there (Dembele's close range rocket) and two seasons ago condemned Shearer's love children to relegation by winning both home and away. The Toon don't usually do well down here against us, overall we've won more than we've lost in our history of meetings. United did sneak a lucky win on a sombre night at the Cottage in December 2007, but the silver lining from that loss was that it accelerated the departure of Sanchez and opened the door to Roy.

Alan Pardew's appointment before Christmas caused much headshaking among supporters well used to erratic behaviour from the unpopular Mike Ashley, but two wins and two draws in 2011 has silenced the critics. How the Toon army react to the sale of Carroll however we are yet to find out. Newcastle arrive in the same position as our last league visitors Stoke, 9th in the league and four points better off than us.

Carroll's sale has no effect on our tactics. He was already ruled out with a muscle strain. What I think of his move to Liverpool you can find below. The dangerous Kevin Nolan has been fighting a knock but should be fit, why Bolton ever sold him I will never know. As for Fulham, yes our loanees Kakuta and Eidur are available, I will be amazed to see either feature at all. Stockdale keeps his place in goal, Etuhu won't be risked and Sidwell looked totally convincing Sunday anyway. The team surely will be unchanged, unless Baird is over his virus and Hughes decides Salcido must step aside.

Our back line has been playing as well as at any time this season. With no chance at all yesterday to plug the hole left by Carroll's transfer demand - something that clearly irked Pardew and casts a big shadow over Newcastle's run in - I don't see the Magpies getting behind us.

So to the transfer window. I wrote it up earlier in January as 'Madness.' It ended yesterday in lemming-like lunacy, with Liverpool leading the charge over the abyss. Financial deficits and tight credit be damned as TEN times more money changed hands than a year ago. Fulham thank heavens stayed largely on the sidelines.

With little financial risk we have however added three exciting players who all have the ability to influence games. Welcome to Eidur and Gael. We know you play football in the right way and we look forward to being impressed when you get the chance. As for Sidwell, he's slotted straight in and looks just the ticket to alleviate the pressure on Danny. Professional job done by Mark and the board. The players may just be sensing Sparky's building something to match Hodgson's legacy in SW6, viz Gera's decision to rebut offers and fight for his place.

What a difference a month makes. Since Sunday I fear nobody, feel a Cup run blossoming, and later this month look forward to a lung bursting cheer when Bobby jogs back into first team action. If Carroll can command £35 million in the transfer market from half a season in the Prem how much for our own England striker?

Chelsea and the £50 million pound man mid-month? Bring it on!

The final word on transfer dealings belongs with Blackburn, where Newell's Old Boys Formica has been recruited to play in a flat pack four...

Keep the faith and Rock the Cottage Wednesday!

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943996/Fulham-v-Newcastle-United-match-preview.html

Fulham v Newcastle United: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Newcastle United at Craven Cottage on Wednesday Feb 2 2011, kick-off 20.00 GMT, kick-off 20.00 GMT.

PREVIEW

Wednesday, February 02 20:00
Premier League
Craven Cottage

By John Ley 6:00AM GMT 02 Feb 2011
John's Twitter

Wednesday, February 2
Fulham v Newcastle United
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 20.00 GMT
TV: Live Sky Sports 1, Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Stockdale; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Duff, Sidwell, Murphy, Dempsey; Dembele, A Johnson.

Newcastle (Possible, 4-4-2): Harper; Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Jose Enrique; Barton, Nolan, Guthrie, Gutierrez; Best, Ameobi.

Referee: Mike Jones. Matches: 17. R3 Y55.

Tale of the game

New loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta could feature but, after the 4-0 FA Cup win over Spurs, Fulham manager could keep faith with the regulars, though Chris Baird is likely to return at left-back, for Carlos Salcido.

David Stockdale should to continue in goal as Mark Schwarzer recovers from the long journey back from Qatar where he helped Australia reach the final of the Asian Cup.

Newcastle newcomer Stephen Ireland will not figure. He joined on loan from Villa on Monday but has a hamstring problem which is expected to sideline him for around two weeks.

Midfielder Cheik Tiote completes his three-match ban but captain Kevin Nolan (ankle) and Danny Guthrie, who limped off with cramp during the 1-1 draw with Tottenham last time out, will be available.

Ryan Taylor (ankle), has returned to training, but Steven Taylor (hamstring), Dan Gosling (knee), Alan Smith (ankle) and Hatem Ben Arfa (broken leg) remain on the sidelines.

This season: Newcastle 0 Fulham 0.

Last season: N/A.

Stat of the game: Fulham have conceded just one goal in the final 10 minutes of games while Newcastle have let in 11 in the same period.

Betting tip: Fulham on a roll; go for a 3-0 home win and accept 18-1.

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-newcastle-united-wed-2-feb-2011

Fulham Vs Newcastle United: Match Preview

By GMF Editor  February 02, 2011

DATE:Wed 2 Feb 2011
TIME:20:00
VENUE:Craven Cottage

New loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta could make their first appearances for Fulham in Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash against Newcastle.

Gudjohnsen has been registered for the Cottagers after completing his loan move from Stoke late last night while Kakuta missed Sunday's 4-0 win over Tottenham as he was cup-tied.

David Stockdale is likely to continue in goal as Mark Schwarzer is tired after his exploits with Australia in the Asian Cup and Dickson Etuhu is a doubt with a hamstring injury.

Newcastle new boy Stephen Ireland will not figure after arriving on Tyneside with an injury.

The midfielder, who has joined on loan from Aston Villa for the rest of the season, has a hamstring problem which is expected to sideline him for around two weeks.

Midfielder Cheik Tiote completes his three-match ban but skipper Kevin Nolan (ankle) and Danny Guthrie, who limped off with cramp during the 1-1 draw with Tottenham last time out, will be available.

Former Newcastle defender John Anderson has admitted the Magpies simply could not afford to turn down Liverpool's #35million bid for Andy Carroll.

As the fall-out from the 22-year-old's shock deadline-day departure continued on Tyneside, Anderson insisted the club had little choice but to accept what was at the time a record transfer fee between British clubs.

Anderson, now a BBC Radio Newcastle pundit, said: "To be perfectly honest, Liverpool have paid #35million with add-ons for a fella who has scored 14 Premier League goals and hasn't had a full season in the Premier League.

"It's a deal you can't turn down. They are buying potential. He is not the proven article.

"People are saying Darren Bent cost #24million, but Darren Bent has scored goals everywhere he's been in the Premier League.

"I think #35million is phenomenal, it's a huge amount of money for somebody who has had a good start - he's had a great start, he has been excellent for us, there's no doubt about it - but it's a deal they couldn't turn down."

Carroll's 11 goals this season before he was sidelined by a thigh injury catapulted him to national attention and won him a first senior England cap in November last year.

But he remains a work in progress and Anderson believes the club was right to cash in on his blossoming talent in January with the big guns already circling ahead of the summer transfer market.

He said: "There's no guarantee that when he does come back from this thigh problem he is going to score goals in the second half of the season, so would he still be worth #35million in the summer?

"Liverpool were desperate for him - they were prepared to go from #30million to #35million plus add-ons, and I just don't think they would have got that sort of deal again.

"People are saying, `That's us knackered', but a lot of people forget that we haven't had him for the last five games.

"But the thing you would say is, it's only a really, really good deal if the manager is now given that #35million to improve the squad."

In the meantime, the club's remaining strikers face the challenge of providing goals on a regular basis, and Anderson is confident there is enough firepower in the squad to complete the job of securing the club's top-flight status.

He said: "It's going to be very interesting to see what happens. All of a sudden, there's an awful lot more pressure on the likes of Shola Ameobi, Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and to a degree, Nile Ranger as well.

"When Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins left, Andy Carroll stepped up to the plate. Now it's up to those guys to do the same.

"Shola is a bit different - he's the elder statesman, but it's a great opportunity for Nile Ranger to knuckle down and get the job done."

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/49927/Win_tickets_to_Aston_Villa_vs_Fulham_this_weekend.aspx

Win tickets to Aston Villa vs Fulham this weekend

Author:  Ben Moss

Posted on:02 February 2011 - 11:43

Sport.co.uk has teamed up with Thomas Cook Sport, official travel partner of Aston Villa, to offer three lucky fans the chance to win a pair of tickets to their Premier League match against Fulham FC at Villa Park on Saturday 5th February 2011.

Gerard Houllier 's side have experienced something of a mini revival in the last few weeks prior to last night's 3-1 defeat to league leaders Manchester United. The big money arrival of Darren Bent has been the catalyst to their gradual rise above the relegation zone, and the Frenchman will be eager to see that continue against Fulham this weekend.

Fulham in turn are beginning to show a greater understanding of Mark Hughes' methods with Brede Hangeland admitting as much after their 4-0 destruction of Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup last weekend.

For the chance to win tickets to Aston Villa vs Fulham this Saturday click here.

Competition closes tomorrow.

White Noise

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/02/danny-simpson-wants-no-regrets-at-fulham-72703-28094236/

Danny Simpson wants no regrets at Fulham

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Feb 2 2011

DANNY SIMPSON wants Newcastle United to emerge from Craven Cottage with "no regrets" in a game which could fire the Magpies up to seventh place.

The full-back came under scrutiny by pundits after Tottenham Hotspur's stoppage-time equaliser from Aaron Lennon, with some feeling he should have played the England winger on to his weaker foot.

However, Simpson feels an all-round grittiness from the Mags tonight in London can net a much-needed win.

Simpson told the Chronicle: "We are looking to see games out a bit more now if we are in front late on, which we have not done in the past two games.

"We are going from strength to strength.

"If somebody had offered us two wins and two draws in January we would have taken that.

"Now we go into February hoping to get it off to a good start at Fulham, so hopefully there are no regrets.

"It must be a good thing if we are coming out of games disappointed with a point, but we do not want that disappointment."

Simpson knows a place in the top seven could be up for grabs.

More importantly, though, he sees a chance to put more distance between United and the bottom three.

He added: "That is our priority – to get away from the bottom area and stay away from it.

"We know anything is possible, but if we just focus on getting three points tonight we should be OK."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/02/danny-simpson-wants-no-regrets-at-fulham-72703-28094236/#ixzz1CoAEuMbB

White Noise

Pardew: Prove there's life after Andy Carroll

Feb 2 2011

Comments (18)Recommend (1) 

ALAN PARDEW is expecting his players to go out at Craven Cottage tonight and prove there is life after Andy Carroll.

The Toon boss gave an insight into the 'morning after the night before' at the club's Benton base when he admitted that the mood was flat after the sale of the United No 9.

But Pardew says the show must go on against Fulham.

He told the Chronicle: "We're professional and we will do a professional job.

"I am employed here as a football manager.

"I go out and do the best job I can and so do the players.

"Were we buoyant and happy and smiling? No.

"Did I see a little streak in us and that we want to show he's not a loss to us? Yes."

Pardew could very well stick with the same team against the Cottagers tonight, with Leon Best and Shola Ameobi in line to take on Mark Hughes and his team.

Pardew feels his side don't need to be told they have to step up to the plate.

He said: "They know that they have to. They must be fools if they don't know that Andy going is an opportunity for them.

"Opportunity comes in certain paths, and we need everybody to come to the fore."

And he threw the gauntlet down to his players.

"We wish Andy all the best, but we need to see this season through and get the best possible finish.

"Then we rebuild in the summer."

However, Pardew said that spirits would need to be lifted.

He added: "There is disillusionment in everybody.

"From the masseur to our best player – you can't hide it.

"Liverpool have gained Suarez and Carroll, Chelsea have gained Torres and we haven't gained a striker in the process.

"The reaction time was too short to get somebody good enough and that's what it's about – getting somebody good enough.

"That's been made clear by Mike Ashley.

"This club only got relegated two years ago and finances have to be in order.

"I think he's made it clear.

"We're going to have to replace Andy with two or three. In other areas we're weak."

Yet Pardew said there was no ill feeling between himself and Carroll.

He said: "My final words to him were such that he knew I didn't want him to go. I think I made that clear to him.

"I sold Darren Bent when I was at Charlton and I'm good friends with him still. I hope I'm good friends with Andy next time I see him."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/02/pardew-prove-there-s-life-after-andy-carroll-72703-28100013/2/#ixzz1CoAqTXU2
He said: "The mood wasn't great, but it's about us and seeing if we are strong enough.

White Noise

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/fulham_star_should_never_have_left_united_1_3035229

Fulham star should never have left United

Versatile ... Fulham's former Newcastle defender Aaron Hughes.

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Wed Feb 02 12:29:45 GMT 2011

FULHAM'S Aaron Hughes was an unsung hero of the Sir Bobby Robson-era at St James's Park.

And the defender should never have been sold by Newcastle United, according to his former team-mate Steve Harper.

But the goalkeeper will put his friendship with Hughes to one side at Craven Cottage tonight.

Hughes is one of two former Newcastle players in Mark Hughes's side, with Damien Duff having left United for the west London club early last season.

Hughes reluctantly left St James's Park in the summer after being sold to Aston Villa by then manager Graeme Souness.

The 31-year-old had been a regular under Robson, playing across the back four as Newcastle challenged at home and abroad.

And Harper would have liked to have seen the Northern Ireland international stay on Tyneside.

"It seems a long, long time ago since he left here, but he's gone on to have a fantastic career," Harper told the Gazette.

"I thought he was a very versatile young player here, and at the time he was sold, I'd have wanted to keep hold of him if I was in charge, as he could do a job in any position in the back four.

"He was moved on, and he's gone from strength to strength for Fulham and his country. It'll be great to see him."

Duff, meanwhile, never rediscovered the form he had enjoyed at Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers after his high-profile move to United in the summer of 2006.

The winger, 31, was hit by a career-threatening injury early in his time at the club, and eventually left after scoring for Newcastle on the opening day of last season.

"Duffer came up here a long time ago as well – Glenn Roeder brought him up here," Harper added.

"He scored an important goal for us at the start of last season – people shouldn't forget that – and moved on.

"I'm sure he'll be very happy down there, but we'll be hoping to make them very unhappy when we leave."

White Noise

Give Us Five

Wednesday 2nd February 2011

Fulham take on Newcastle United at the Cottage tonight| with Mark Hughes' Team looking to secure a fifth successive home win, following victories over West Brom, Peterborough, Stoke and Spurs since the turn of the year.

Another three points tonight would project Fulham back towards the top half of the table and defender John Pantsil clearly believes it won't be long until his Team regain the League position their performances deserve.

"We need to concentrate on what's ahead of us and we've got a big game tonight and that's all that matter right now," Pantsil told fulhamfc.com.

"It's a home game and we know how important this match is for us. We have to go all out to take the three points. We want to produce the same performance we delivered on Sunday against Spurs.

"If you look at the players in our Team we don't deserve to be in our current position. I think by the end of the season we will find ourselves in the top half of the table.

"We're keeping our heads together so in the few games ahead of us we can get the points and get our fifth win a row at home tonight. Every time we win at home, no matter who it's against, it's a special occasion."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/PantsilNewcastlePreview.aspx#ixzz1CoBYyJgH

White Noise

Fulham v Newcastle United tickets

Barclays Premier League

Wednesday 2 February

Kick-Off 20:00

Tickets for the Barclays Premier League match against Newcastle at Craven Cottage have been selling fast. With many areas already sold out, don't miss your chance to secure one of the few remaining tickets.

Buy tickets now|

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders On sale (4 tickets)
Fulham Club Members On sale (4 tickets)
General Sale  On sale (4 tickets)
Loyalty points: 4 (more info)| 

Buy tickets now|

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade B)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £42   £28   £15 
Hammersmith / Putney   All Blocks   £35   £25   £15 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £30   £20   £10 

Junior - under 16
Concessions: Young Person - under 21
Concessions: Senior - over 65

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/NewcastleHome.aspx#ixzz1CoBsh95z

White Noise

Inside Fulham FC Podcast

Losing at Liverpool then thrashing Spurs 2nd Feb 2011
Wed, 2 Feb 11

Duration:
19 mins

Available:30 days remaining

Fulham make up for losing at Liverpool in the league with a home thrashing of Tottenham in the FA Cup. We get the reaction of manager Mark Hughes and right back John Paintsil. Plus Mark Schwarzer on becoming Australia's most capped player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23919707-eidur-gudjohnsen-in-blue-heaven-again.do

Eidur Gudjohnsen in blue heaven again

David Smith

2 Feb 2011

It suits Fulham newcomer Eidur Gudjohnsen that there will be a blue tinge to his side's white shirts against Newcastle at Craven Cottage tonight, because the Icelander believes a Chelsea connection can help him prove he still has a lot to offer the Premier League.

Gudjohnsen played 250 games for Chelsea before moving to Barcelona in 2007. Among his team-mates at Stamford Bridge were current Fulham winger Damien Duff, Steve Sidwell and manager Mark Hughes. French teenager Gael Kakuta, newly arrived on loan from Carlo Ancelotti's squad, is likely to join Gudjohnsen on the bench.

The 32-year-old striker said: "This is a great opportunity for me to get my career back on track."

That career has stalled since leaving Spain for Monaco in 2009, where he made nine appearances, followed by a dozen on loan at Spurs and he didn't even make the starting line-up at Stoke after that move in August. He said: "There's competition for places at Fulham but I'll do my best to bring out my qualities. This team has a lot of quality and the position in the League doesn't reflect that."

Live on Sky Sports 2, 7.45pm

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02022011/58/premier-league-matchpack-fulham-v-newcastle-united.html

Premier League - Matchpack: Fulham v Newcastle UnitedWed, 02 Feb 09:34:00 2011

New loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta could make their first appearances for Fulham in Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash against Newcastle. Gudjohnsen has been registered for the Cottagers after completing his loan move from Stoke late last night while Kakuta missed Sunday's 4-0 win over Tottenham as he was cup-tied. David Stockdale is likely to continue in goal as Mark Schwarzer is tired after his exploits with Australia in the Asian Cup and Dickson Etuhu is a doubt with a hamstring injury.

Newcastle new boy Stephen Ireland will not figure after arriving on Tyneside with an injury. The midfielder, who has joined on loan from Aston Villa for the rest of the season, has a hamstring problem which is expected to sideline him for around two weeks. Midfielder Cheik Tiote completes his three-match ban but skipper Kevin Nolan (ankle) and Danny Guthrie, who limped off with cramp during the 1-1 draw with Tottenham last time out, will be available. Ryan Taylor (ankle), has returned to training, but Steven Taylor (hamstring), Dan Gosling (knee), Alan Smith (ankle) and Hatem Ben Arfa (broken leg) remain on the sidelines.

Match facts

Newcastle have scored exactly one goal in each of their last three visits to Craven Cottage.

36% of the goals Fulham have scored have been headed, the highest proportion in the top division.

Newcastle have only conceded 6% of their goals from headers, the lowest proportion in the Premier League.

62% of the goals Fulham have conceded have been netted before half-time, the highest proportion in the Premier League.

Fulham have earned fewer cards than any other team, just 27 yellows and no reds.

Fulham have kept clean sheets in three of their last four Premier League games at Craven Cottage.

Newcastle have scored 10 goals in their last 10 Premier League away games, scoring exactly once in eight of those matches.

If Newcastle avoid defeat it will make it five without a loss, their longest unbeaten run in the top flight since December 2008.

Newcastle have conceded the joint-highest number of penalties in the top flight (5), while Fulham have conceded the joint fewest (1).

Mark Hughes' side are the only team in the Premier League who have not had a player sent off this season.

Match odds

Fulham 11/10, Draw 12/5, 31/10

White Noise

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/toon_revival_takes_a_knock_628322/index.shtml

Toon Revival Takes A Knock!

By Nu Mad Wednesday, 2nd February 2011

Our last visit to Craven Cottage -

2008/9 FULHAM 2 NEWCASTLE UTD 1

FULHAM: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Davies, Bullard, Murphy (Baird 88), Gera (Dempsey 64), Johnson, Zamora (Nevland 74). Subs Not Used: Zuberbuhler, Gray, Stoor, Andreasen.

NEWCASTLE: Given, Beye, Coloccini, Cacapa, Jose Enrique, Gutierrez (Owen 70), Butt, Barton, Duff, Martins, Ameobi. Subs Not Used: Harper, Guthrie, Bassong, N'Zogbia, Geremi, Carroll.

Att: 24,740

Danny Murphy struck from the spot as Fulham edged a lively contest 2-1 to halt Newcastle's surge up the Barclays Premier League table.

Murphy converted a 66th-minute penalty after Fabricio Coloccini had clipped Andy Johnson while the England marksman was sprinting into the area.

Johnson had given Fulham a deserved interval lead when he capitalised on a defensive blunder by Claudio Cacapa to claim his third goal since his arrival in the summer.

The Cottagers attacked at will in the first half and their dominance deserved a greater return with Jimmy Bullard and Zoltan Gera failing to bury good chances.

But Newcastle emerged fired up after the break and their 57th-minute equaliser by Shola Ameobi, which had a hint of offside about it, was fitting reward for their revival.

Murphy's goal set up a thrilling finale but Fulham hung on to protect their impressive home form, which now reads 13 points out of a possible 18.

Newcastle arrived at Craven Cottage looking for their third successive victory but Joe Kinnear's Midas Touch, which has served the club so well since he took over, had deserted him.

Kinnear included Michael Owen among the substitutes and the England striker missed a fine late chance to equalise, with Fabio Capello watching from the stand.

Owen could watch from the bench as Newcastle were torn apart from the start by Fulham's ambition, which saw Shay Given expertly palm a Bullard shot to safety.

Maintaining the pressure, Murphy almost saw a shot deflected into the net by Jose Enrique with Given stranded.

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins tried his luck from long range but it was a rare moment of respite as Gera nodded a Simon Davies cross narrowly wide.

Enrique came to the Magpies' rescue in the 18th minute when, stood virtually on the line as the last defender, he nodded clear another powerful Gera effort.

Plodding Jonas Gutierrez was punished for his lack of urgency when Davies stole the ball from his feet and found Johnson, but the England striker's final pass was poor and Newcastle breathed again.

But there was no escape in the 23rd minute when rampant Fulham scored the goal their ascendancy deserved.

A floated cross by Bullard was met by Cacapa but his headed clearance struck team-mate Coloccini and fell into the path of Johnson, who buried the chance.

Fulham continued to spray the ball around with ease but the frequency of their attacks began to dry up.

Great footwork by Martins enabled the Nigerian striker to turn and shoot in the 38th minute but his effort bobbled narrowly wide.

Newcastle were seeing more possession but they were almost caught on the counter-attack in the 40th minute when Johnson, Bobby Zamora and Bullard combined only for Joey Barton to arrive in the nick of time.

Heavy rain was failing to dampen either side's attacking ambition with Damien Duff outstripping Paul Konchesky and pounding the right post with a piledriver.

Nicky Butt saw a well-struck free kick saved by Mark Schwarzer and moments later the former Manchester United star should have converted from close range as Newcastle continued their impressive start to the second half.

It was all one-way traffic after the restart as the Magpies probed away for the equaliser and it duly arrived in the 57th minute.

Duff's cross was deflected by Johnson into the centre of the area but an unfortunate bounce saw the ball elude right-back John Pantsil.

Instead, it slipped behind him and Shola Ameobi was the first to react by drilling home from three metres out.

Schwarzer palmed a cracking shot from Barton around the post as Newcastle continue to pummel away against a Fulham side that had disintegrated since their fine first half.

But against the run of play Roy Hodgson's team restored their lead when Murphy struck from the spot in the 66th minute.

Coloccini just clipped Johnson as he sprinted into the area and referee Mark Atkinson had no hesitation signalling a penalty for the decisive score.

White Noise

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/big_test_for_pardew_at_fulham_628321/index.shtml

Big Test For Pardew At Fulham

By Nu Mad Wednesday, 2nd February 2011

Fulham's current form ...

FULHAM'S CURRENT FORM ....

Fulham 4 Tottenham 0
Liverpool 1 Fulham 0
Fulham 2 Stoke 0
Wigan 1 Fulham 1
Fulham 6 Peterborough 2
Fulham 3 West Brom 0

FULHAM'S LAST FIXTURE ....

FULHAM 4 SPURS 0

Stockdale, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Duff, Sidwell, Murphy (Greening 74), Dempsey, Andrew Johnson (Gera 68), Dembele (Davies 80).

Subs Not Used: Etheridge, Kelly, Kamara, Dikgacoi.

Fulham cruised into the last 16 of the FA Cup with an impressive demolition of London rivals Tottenham at Craven Cottage.

The result of the match had been determined by half-time after Fulham had raced into a four-goal advantage by the break.

Danny Murphy scored from the spot 11 minutes in after Alan Hutton barged down Clint Dempsey in the box.

The Cottagers captain, who signed a new deal with the club on Friday, added a second penalty three minutes later after Michael Dawson was sent off for tugging back Moussa Dembele in the box.

Brede Hangeland stabbed home to make it 3-0 before Dembele rifled home a blistering strike just before half-time to seal the impressive win.

The win will provide another morale boost for Mark Hughes' resurgent side but will raise serious questions about Tottenham's ability to challenge for honours, particularly given that Harry Redknapp fielded arguably his strongest team available.

Gareth Bale was out due to a back injury but Redknapp named an XI that included the likes of Rafael van der Vaart, Steven Pienaar and Heurelho Gomes, who returned in goal after a shoulder injury kept him out of last week's draw at Newcastle.

Fulham, who had lost twice to Spurs already this year, replaced Chris Baird with Carlos Salcido in the only change from the XI that lost to Liverpool in midweek.

After a dull opening 10 minutes, the game sparked into life when Salcido robbed the careless Dawson 30 yards out before Hutton barged over Dempsey in the box as he raced towards goal.

Referee Phil Dowd blew for a penalty and Murphy fired the spot-kick to Gomes' right to put Fulham 1-0 up.

Dawson's match went from bad to worse two minutes later when he dithered on the ball just inside his own area. Dembele pinched the ball off Dawson before the England centre-half tried to yank the striker back by his shirt.

Dowd dismissed the former Nottingham Forest man before Murphy beat Gomes again from 12 yards.

Buoyed by their excellent start, Fulham looked for a third goal and it came after 23 minutes.

Andrew Johnson flicked on Damien Duff's corner and the ball found Hangeland at the back post. With Gomes stranded, the Norwegian made no mistake from three yards.

Sensing Tottenham could crumble, Redknapp sent on William Gallas for Sandro but Spurs still looked weak at the back.

Luka Modric fizzed a shot wide from long distance and Van der Vaart went into the book after clattering into Murphy from behind just before the half-hour mark.

Fulham made their numerical advantage count by dominating play. Johnson raced at the Tottenham defence as the first half came to a close but his shot fell straight into Gomes' hands.

Dembele then rounded off an incredible first half for the hosts with a fourth goal when he strode past Sebastien Bassong and fired a sublime 20-yard strike past Gomes.

Redknapp brought on Peter Crouch for Defoe at the break as Spurs looked to get back into the game.

Crouch's introduction had little effect though as Fulham started the second period the stronger of the two sides.

Johnson flicked a header just wide of Gomes' goal from a John Pantsil cross.

At the other end David Stockdale had his first test of the half, saving a tame Sebastien Bassong header from Aaron Lennon's cross.

Dempsey's 25-yard curling shot caused Gomes to pull off an impressive save low down to his right just after the hour mark.

Dembele then skipped past two markers before Bassong blocked the striker's goal-bound effort from eight yards.

A fifth Fulham goal looked inevitable as they laid siege to the Spurs goal.

Dempsey raced at the Tottenham back four and beat Gomes from 25 yards but his rising strike flew over the Tottenham goal.

Redknapp brought the ineffective Van der Vaart off, bringing on Jermaine Jenas, and Mark Hughes took Johnson off and introduced Zoltan Gera.

Pienaar was lucky not to be booked when he hacked down Duff after 71 minutes.

Murphy received a standing ovation when he departed two minutes later to be replaced by Jonathan Greening.

The home crowd taunted their north London rivals as they struggled to get hold of the ball.

The match's tempo had dropped to that of a practice match by the time Simon Davies replaced Dembele with 10 minutes left.

A rare move down the Tottenham right allowed Hutton to cross for Crouch but the England striker was muscled off the ball by Pantsil.

Fulham almost had a fifth in the 87th minute when Aaron Hughes' glanced header hit the bar from Duff's corner.

Gera had a golden chance a minute later but Gomes saved with his feet from the Hungarian's 12-yard shot and Fulham had to settle for four.

White Noise

We must beat Newcastle if we want to stay out of relegation battle, warns Fulham defender Hangeland

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:58 AM on 2nd February 2011

Brede Hangeland has warned Fulham will be in danger of slipping back into a relegation dogfight unless they follow up Sunday's emphatic victory over Tottenham with a win against Newcastle on Wednesday night.

A poor run of one win in four left Mark Hughes' position in doubt during the festive period, but pressure on the Welshman has now eased following an impressive run of just one defeat in their last six.

Fulham now sit five points outside the relegation zone and are in the last 16 of the FA Cup following last weekend's morale-boosting 4-0 victory over neighbours Spurs at Craven Cottage.

Eye for goal: Hangeland scores for Fulham against Spurs in the FA Cup last weekend

Hangeland was delighted to avenge Fulham's two defeats against Spurs this season, but with tricky games at Manchester City and Chelsea coming up, the Norwegian knows a win tonight would significantly help his side's chances of staying up.

'The two games we lost against them (Spurs) have been really tight and we've been really disappointed after those games so there was talk of trying to avenge those two games and we certainly did that ,' said Hangeland, who scored only his second Fulham goal in Sunday's win.

Happy days: Hangeland celebrates his goal against Spurs

'The league is the most important thing now and we're a bit too close to the bottom at the moment and we are looking to get away from there as soon as possible.'
Loan signings Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta are expected to be on the bench after both moving to SW6 on temporary deals from Stoke and Chelsea respectively.

For Gudjohnsen, it is the latest chance for him to kickstart a career that has stuttered since leaving Chelsea five years ago and he is desperate to make the most of the opportunity.

'Hopefully I can get my career back on track now,' Gudjohnsen told Fulham's official website.

'I'm grateful for this chance and it's a great opportunity for me to show what I can do. I fully intend to make the most of my time here and then we'll see what the future holds.

'My situation wasn't great at Stoke in all honesty and I've got the opportunity to come here and impress the manager, get games under my belt and help Fulham push forward.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352787/Fulham-defender-Brede-Hangeland-warns-team-mates-beat-Newcastle.html#ixzz1CobPab00

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11672_6718648,00.html

NEC reveal Prem offer

Interest in Belgian star

By Gerrit van Leeuwen   

Last updated: 2nd February 2011   

NEC Nijmegen have claimed they turned down a bid from a Premier League club on transfer deadline day for leading scorer Bjorn Vleminckx.

The 25-year-old Belgian international is currently the top-scorer in the Eredivisie.

Vleminckx has attracted a great deal of attention this season and last week Blackburn, Fulham and Bolton are all known to have dispatched scouts to watch him.

However, the club in question is reported in Holland as being West Ham United.

"A club made an official approach and they also made an official bid," NEC technical director Carlos Aalbers confirmed.

"It was far from our asking price, we are talking about the top-scorer in the league and look how far he has progressed."

White Noise

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premiership/premier-league-betting-fulham-are-starting-to-get-their-co-020211.html

Premier League Betting: Fulham are starting to get their Cottage in order

Premier League  / Andrew Atherley / 02 February 2011 / Leave a Comment

"It may appear a blot on Hughes's record that he has become a draw specialist, with eight of his last 11 games in charge of Manchester City ending all-square, but it is not such a bad thing. In any case, and here's the rub, Fulham look to be shaking off the draw stigma."

One of the great post-Christmas improvers this year are Fulham but that shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise given what we'd seen from them at the start of the season, says Andrew Atherley.

'Hughes is a happy Cottager' was the unfortunately worded headline on one football website this week, hinting at something entirely different from the revelation that Fulham are a team on the up.

Mark Hughes's side had just put Tottenham to the sword in the FA Cup fourth round with a 4-0 victory at Craven Cottage to provide the best evidence yet that they could be one of the stronger finishers to the Premier League season.

Hughes certainly has reason to be happy after a run that has seen Fulham record four wins and a draw from their last seven matches against top-flight opposition, which has picked them up from their seemingly ominous 3-1 home defeat by West Ham on Boxing Day.

That sort of revival has looked on the cards for much of the season, in truth, because Fulham have long had the classic profile of an underrated team open to improvement. The main reason is that, although they have been languishing near the bottom of the table, they have been highly competitive against the bulk of the division.

Five of Fulham's eight defeats have been against top-five sides - against whom they have given up 17 of the 18 points available - and just three losses in the other 18 matches against the rest of the division indicates they are far from the worst side in the Premier League.

Teams that draw a lot of games - Fulham have finished level in 11 out of 24 - more often than not turn out to be improvers in the long run. Four of the six highest-drawing teams in the first half of last season finished the season much better than they started.

It may appear a blot on Hughes's record that he has become a draw specialist, with eight of his last 11 games in charge of Manchester City ending all-square, but it is not such a bad thing. In any case, and here's the rub, Fulham look to be shaking off the draw stigma.

The key has been goals: they have scored at least twice in their four recent wins against Premier League opponents, having managed to score more than once in just four of their 18 league games before that (for two wins and two draws). The return of proven Premier League striker Andy Johnson has been something of a catalyst for their improvement.

With their low defeat rate and 10 of their remaining 14 games being against teams outside the top five, there is a good chance Fulham will continue on the upward curve. The advice is to back them for a home win when they play sides outside the top five, starting tonight against Newcastle, as they have won four out of seven in that category when scoring.

On the road against the same type of opposition, where they have lost just two out of nine but drawn six, there are the options of backing them on the Asian handicap, backing the draw or laying the home side. The Asian handicap may just provide the best return and the first opportunity to back them is at Aston Villa on Saturday.

Transfer deadline day produced some mind-blowing figures at the top end, but there was not much action among the Premier League strugglers.
In particular, the net selling by West Ham and Wolves was a bad sign for their survival chances because, of the last eight teams that were in the relegation zone and spent less than £2m in January, only one stayed up.
West Ham, who are 1.69 to be relegated, and Wolves, at 1.67, look banker bets to go down.

Recommended bets

Fulham to beat Newcastle at 2.1

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/02/football-blogs/the-three-big-picks-in-fulham-v-newcastle

The THREE Big Picks in Fulham v Newcastle

Date: 2nd February 2011 at 1:53 pm | Written by Joe Austin

Fulham play Newcastle tonight in the Premier League and it will be an interesting game for a number of reasons. I will again be playing the Picklive fantasy football game, and here is who I will be choosing.

The question concerning Newcastle is how they will get on without Andy Carroll, and with that in mind Ameobi might be worth a punt tonight. Newcastle have not had Carroll all month but have still managed 8 points from 12 without him. Ameobi has been leading their front line in his absence and they have not changed their style of football massively. I expect Newcastle will look to test out Fulham's Stockdale with some direct balls into the box, since Schwarzer is away in the Asian cup.

If you fancy a bigger risk Leon Best recently scored a hat-trick. Their other option is Nile Ranger, a similar player to Andy Carroll but obviously more raw. I hope he will come good for Newcastle in the long run. I expect him to pick up a few goals in the second half of the season, but not tonight at Fulham, bare him in mind for future weeks.

They still have goal threats from midfield in Barton and Nolan. These two are likely to be involved in most of their goals, Barton being their set piece taker and Nolan being their top scorer now Carroll is a Liverpool player. Barton, has been much better in a disciplinary sense this year as well, so I am not too worried about him getting a card.

Fulham's Dempsey has been in good form in front of goal this year, scoring 8 times in the league. He is good in the air and with his feet so I will be picking him. Other than that, Murphy recently proved his worth, getting a brace of penalties against Spurs. He also takes set pieces, and with the likes of Hangeland lurking, Murphy might prove a shrewd bet. The other players I would consider are Simon Davies who has been in good form this year with 2 goals and 4 assists, and Andy Johnson who is now fit again. He scored away at Wigan and has started the last 4 EPL games.

Tonight I am going for Barton, who provides excellent balls into the box. I narrowly decided to pick him over Ameobi, because if Ameobi doesn't score he is likely to score fewer points. The other two I am choosing are Dempsey and Johnson, since I fancy Fulham to get 3 points tonight and a goal to come from one of these two

White Noise

Steve Harper out to Fulham upset old pals

Feb 2 2011

STEVE HARPER says he is intending to upset two of his old pals tonight at Craven Cottage.

The experienced United goalkeeper has seen them all come and go at St James' Park but now comes face to face with ex-Mags Damien Duff and Aaron Hughes who will be in Fulham colours this evening.

Harper feels that Aaron Hughes was hastily moved on from United while had praise for Duff after he netted a crucial goal at West Brom last season which kick-started the club's rise from the Championship.

Harper told the Chronicle: "Aaron Hughes and Damien Duff are familiar faces.

"It seems like a long, long time ago since Aaron left here.

"He's gone on and had a fantastic career here.

"At the time he was sold, I would probably have wanted to keep hold of him when if I was in charge, he could have done a job in the back four.

"He was moved on and he's gone from strength to strength.

"He plays for his country in the middle of the back four and it will be great to see him."

And reflecting on the danger posed by Republic of Ireland star Duff, Harper said: "Duffer came here a long time ago as well, it was Glenn Roeder that brought him here.

"He scored an important goal for us just last season at the start against West Brom which people shouldn't forget.

"He then moved on.

"He spent a lot of time in London where he's lived before and I'm sure he's very happy there.

"But we'll be looking to make them both unhappy by the time we leave."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/02/02/steve-harper-out-to-fulham-upset-old-pals-72703-28102141/#ixzz1CodjRRT8