https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (03.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 02, 2011, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

A Deserved Victory

Wednesday 2nd February 2011

Speaking after Wednesday evening's one-nil victory over Newcastle United at Craven Cottage, Fulham Manager Mark Hughes gave his post-match reaction.

"We had to stand up and face a physical challenge," he said after the game. "There were a lot of long balls that we had to deal with. It was difficult for us to play our natural game because, in fairness, the ball was in the air for the vast majority of the first-half.

"But in the second-half we dug in and earned the right to play our own game and in the end we could have won more comfortably.

"At one-nil there's always a worry that they might get one at the end and we're grateful for a great save by Mark Schwarzer. Overall, I think we fully deserved the win tonight."

Hughes also praised the match-winning performance of Damien Duff, a player who has hit a rich vein of form lately.

"Duff is playing really well at the moment and I'm pleased for him," Hughes said. "He got a bit of stick from the Newcastle fans. It was a great ball by Danny Murphy who picked him out, it was a good run across the line from Duffer and in the end he had to keep a steady head and make sure he put the chance away – thankfully he did."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/HughesNewcastleReaction.aspx#ixzz1CsToVVN7

White Noise

Winning Ways

Thursday 3rd February 2011

Mark Schwarzer made a match-winning return to the Fulham line-up on Wednesday evening as he was thrust straight back into the action having only arrived back from international duty with Australia at the Asia Cup on Monday of this week.

The experienced goalkeeper suffered the disappointment of defeat in the tournament final on Saturday evening, but showed no signs of lethargy as he helped the Whites to three points and a clean sheet in his first game back for Fulham.

"There wasn't really much chance of jet lag as there's only a three hour time difference between here and Qatar so I felt very good, very fit. I felt very sharp in training yesterday and again today," he revealed.

"The Manager made a decision yesterday after I trained. We trained with the team and the rest is history. There were no special conversations about it; it's just the way it unfolded."

Although the 38-year-old did express some sympathy for David Stockdale who had performed so admirably in his absence over the past few weeks.

"It's always tough when you come in and do well but then get left out again, but it's all part of the learning process and it's all about how you react afterwards," he said of his highly-rated understudy.

Since Schwarzer departed for the Asia Cup at the start of January, the Whites have enjoyed a run of four wins from six games, progressing to the Fifth Round of the FA Cup, and rising to 12th place in the league as a result of this win, but the big Aussie explained that such form comes as no surprise to him, as his team-mates were already turning the corner before the turn of the year.

"The signs were there before I left," he stated. "We had a great result away at Stoke City, we were unlucky away at Tottenham and after those two games it felt like it was a case of onwards and upwards.

"Tonight might not have been the best performance but we were playing against a side that tries to stop us from playing. But in the second-half we got more space and took control of the game and I think we deservedly won.

"I think you can see there's confidence in the team and that they're really building momentum. And having players coming back from injury makes a big difference."

As well as returns for the likes of Andy Johnson and Mousa Dembele in recent weeks, the team has been strengthened this month with several new signings, and Schwarzer says he has been impressed by what he has seen of his new colleagues.

"Steve did very well today and Gael up front looks very lively - he had a couple of half-chances today. Sometimes new players take a little bit of time to settle, but they look like very good acquisitions."

And finally, despite Fulham climbing three league places on Wednesday, Mark is refusing to get too carried away with the improved league ranking just yet.

"Of course, it's always nice to look at the table and see yourself higher but at this stage of the season it's all about picking up points, and not where you are in the table from week-to-week," he opined.

"The sooner we get to 40 points, the sooner we can then turn our attention to what position we're in."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/SchwarzerNewcastleReaction.aspx#ixzz1CsUCCmvt

White Noise

Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United

Newcastle came to Craven Cottage with the clear intention of frustrating Fulham's play in the midfield area Alan Pardew's men certainly carried those instructions out to the letter.

The high tempo pressurising from midfield duo Danny Guthrie and Kevin Nolan, aided by Leon Best, who frequently dropped back into midfield, certainly made life difficult for the Whites.

With the game struggling to break into full flow, a lengthy stoppage ensued on the ten minute mark after Shola Ameobi and Steve Sidwell challenged for a ball in the air, with the Newcastle striker coming off second best. Ameobi could no longer continue and was replaced by Nile Ranger soon after.

Despite Newcastle's resistance, Fulham were still able to threaten their opponents from out wide – with both Damien Duff and Andrew Johnson breaking into promising positions. In defence, there was relatively little to challenge the returning Mark Schwarzer until the 20th minute when a teasing free-kick from Joey Barton forced Sidwell to glance the ball away for a corner.

As the first-half progressed, Fulham gradually started to dictate the pace of the game, certainly the Whites' play in the final third looked to be creating the more likely goal scoring opportunities. An alert clearance from Harper on the edge of his area prevented good chance for Clint Dempsey after a Danny Murphy through ball had the sent American chasing.

There were no such opportunities for Newcastle, whose primary defensive preoccupation limited their ability to test the Whites at the back. Clint Dempsey came closest to scoring for Fulham on 34 minutes when a Danny Murphy free-kick fell to him six yards out, only for him to volley wide of Harper's goal.

Tenacious play from Damien Duff early in the second-half saw him dispossess Jose Enrique Sanchez before making straight for goal, unfortunately a last-ditch tackle from Mike Williamson blocked Duff's attempt on goal.

Duff was again in the heat of the action minutes later when Dempsey's shot was saved by the foot of Harper, only to deflect into the path of the Republic of Ireland international. His side-footed attempt on goal rolled agonisingly wide from three yards out.

Newcastle responded by increasing the pressure on Fulham's back line, but despite their time in possession in Fulham's defensive third, Mark Schwarzer was only required to perform the most routine of saves.

At the other end Steve Harper produced an outstanding stop at his near post to deny Dempsey on 63 minutes after good play from the Whites forced an opening. Dempsey's shot had plenty of power but Harper threw a strong hand up to palm the ball over.

The pace of the game had visibly escalated and Fulham looked to be better at ease. The opening goal of the game came on 66 minutes through the lively Damien Duff. Danny Murphy was the architect of the move, drifting a perfect pass over the head of Jose Enrique for Duff to hammer a firm shot past Harper.

Gael Kakuta made his Craven Cottage debut soon after, replacing Andrew Johnson in attack.

The debutant came close to marking his first appearance in a White shirt after Duff set Mousa Dembele free down the right flank. The Belgian international squared the ball for Kakuta, whose first shot was well held by Harper.

Mark Schwarzer then produced an important save when he was able to get down to smother Nile Ranger's close-range shot.

The action soon swung to the other end and a perfect through-pass form Kakuta sent Dempsey clear. Newcastle had Harper to thank after he closed the distance on Dempsey quickly enough to make the save.

Kakuta was certainly exerting a positive influence on the game as his pass, once again, set Dempsey away – the Frenchman starting a move that he came close to finishing in style inside the six yard box.

Mark Hughes introduced Zoltan Gera and Simon Davies to the action late on in place of Danny Murphy and Damien Duff.

The Whites were able to contain Newcastle well for the remainder of the encounter, securing three important points.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/Premiership/NewcastleHome.aspx#ixzz1CsV10DDM

White Noise

Newcastle Photo Special

Some of the best images from Fulham's Barclays Premier League victory over Newcastle United.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/NewcastlePhotoSpecial.aspx

White Noise

Fulham 1-0 Newcastle: Toon beaten and battered

Published 21:58 02/02/11

By David Anderson

Mike Ashley loves a bet, but Newcastle fans may fear he has gone a £35million punt too far after losing yet another striker last night.

Just 10 minutes into life without Andy Carroll, his replacement Shola Ameobi suffered a suspected fractured cheekbone after an unintentional elbow from Steve Sidwell.

And that was pretty much that for Newcastle's attacking options, with Damien Duff's 67th-minute strike keeping the points in London.

Rookie Nile Ranger came on for Ameobi but neither he nor strike partner Leon Best - or even sub Peter Lovenkrands - could make any impression on the Fulham back line.

They were powder-puff at best and while that Carroll cash was an offer Ashley couldn't refuse, Toon fans must surely now be bracing themselves for a relegation fight.

The Magpies had gone into this game unbeaten in 2011 with eight points from their last 12.

They came out of it six points off the bottom three with their new first-choice striker injured and having to rely on two rookies and a veteran for safety.

All the very best!

Manager Alan Pardew later admitted the club are fearing a four-to-six week lay-off for Ameobi, who will undergo further tests.

"The diagnosis isn't good," said Pardew. "He's got a dent in his cheekbone which suggests he might have fractured it, so we'll have to wait and see on that.

"It was a big blow to us. It affected our game plan a little bit."

Pardew also admitted the goings-on surrounding Carroll had had a bearing on the team's under-par display.

Carroll is standing by his story that he was forced out of St James' Park to join Liverpool, while Pardew continues to insist that the striker was not forced out.

From the 'Judas Carroll' banner held aloft at Craven Cottage while Carroll was being paraded up at Anfield, it was clear who the travelling Toon fans were siding with.

Pardew added: "It was a factor in the game. I won't shy away from that. Our fans could have given the team and me a much harder time than they did.

"They didn't, but we lost our way. The pitch didn't help but I'm delighted with the honesty of our performance.

"We lacked a je ne sais quoi, and I think Fulham did too, until the goal. I'm not disappointed with the performance, but I am with the result. The strikers were not as good as they have been taking Shola out of it.

"Young Nile Ranger has got a lot to learn and Leon Best did not have a good night. Maybe there's some added pressure on them but they're going to have to learn to deal with it.

"Its fair to say it will be a steep learning curve."

The Toon Army have never forgiven former Magpie Duff for scoring the own goal that relegated them in May 2009.

He then - in their eyes - jumped ship to Fulham within weeks.

As such, they booed the winger mercilessly throughout this contest. But Duff got his own back when he latched onto Danny Murphy's long ball, slotted home and celebrated like a madman.

He said afterwards: "There were a few reasons for the celebrations. I was getting a bit of stick. I didn't have the best of times up there."

The three points made it five straight home wins in all competitions for Fulham.

Boss Mark Hughes said: "We want people to come here knowing they are not going to get an easy ride. We want them to be fearful and in anticipation.

"Newcastle came here to stop us playing our game. Yes, the pitch isn't ideal but then the ball wasn't on it much in the first half anyway!"

Fulham: Schwarzer 7, Pantsil 7, Hughes 7, Hangeland 7, Baird 7, Dempsey 7, Sidwell 7, Murphy 7 (Gera 86), Duff 8 (davies 86), Andrew Johnson 6 (Kakuta 70, 6), Dembele 7.

Newcastle: Harper 6, Simpson 6, Williamson 6, Coloccini 6, Jose Enrique 6, Barton 6, Nolan 6, Guthrie 6, Gutierrez 6, Best 6 (Lovenkrands 72, 5), Ameobi 6 (Ranger 13, 5).

Man of the Match: Duff

Villain of the Match: Sidwell. Naughty elbow on Ameobi.

Referee: Mike Jones (Cheshire)

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-1-0-Newcastle-Damien-Duff-hits-winner-against-old-club-as-Shola-Ameobi-injury-blow-adds-to-Andy-Carroll-gloom-article688811.html#ixzz1Csb91VDO

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6719337,00.html

Fulham form delights Hughes

Cottagers boss happy with success over Newcastle

Last updated: 2nd February 2011   

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is thrilled with his side's form following their 1-0 success over Newcastle on Wednesday.

Damien Duff scored the only goal of the game in the second half to give the Cottagers all three points on home soil.

After being stifled in the opening period, Hughes was pleased his side were able to adapt and finally secure the points through Duff.

Hughes has never been worried by Fulham's slow first half of the campaign as he knew he had players in the treatment room on the mend.

Delighted
"I have to say we're delighted with the result," he told Sky Sports.

"In fairness to them in the first half they did a little bit of a job on us and stopped us playing our natural game so we had to play a different game, compete and earn the right to win. In the second half that's what we did.

"I think that's five wins on the bounce now at home. I knew in the New Year we'd come good because I was getting players back. I been here for a few months now and things we're been working on are coming to the fore.

"It's never been a worry from my point of view. What we needed was positive results to settle everyone down and we're the form team at the moment.

"We've got big games from now until the end of the season. It'll be another test at the weekend, but I'm sure we'll be up for it."

White Noise

Right Direction

Thursday 3rd February 2011

John Pantsil was in positive and optimistic mood on Wednesday evening after Fulham recorded a fifth consecutive home win to climb to 12th in the table.

After a scrappy first-half, the Whites improved markedly in the second-half, causing Newcastle problems that they struggled to deal with, and Damien Duff was the happy beneficiary as he slammed in the only goal of the game after an exquisite through-pass from Danny Murphy.

"I think Newcastle know how we play, because they didn't want to let us do our thing, and were putting pressure on us. That made it difficult for us in the beginning. We couldn't keep the ball, no matter where we tried to pass it to, and in the end we were kicking it in the air which their centre-backs were enjoying," reflected Pantsil on a testing first 45 minutes.

"But in the second-half we changed things around and focused on keeping the ball on the grass. We played so well and got the goal we deserved."

After the relative ease with which the Whites disposed of high-flying Tottenham in the FA Cup Fourth Round just a few days earlier, there was a sense of frustration at times that a Newcastle side that seemed to offer less of a threat were proving harder to overcome, but Fulham's right-back explained that although less spectacular, the outcome on Wednesday was perhaps more pleasing.

"The league is so important and even though the result on Sunday was great, there was a part of us that wished it had come in the League," he explained. "So we're happy that today we got the three points because that really matters to us."

The match was also notable for the return of Mark Schwarzer to the Fulham goal, and the lively debut of young forward Gael Kakuta.

"It's good to have him back," said John of his big Australian goalkeeper. "Of course David Stockdale did well when Mark was away, so we feel for him. But David is a very good professional so we have faith that he will keep his head straight and concentrate on his career. Every time he gets a chance he does great work for the good of the team. He's a good lad and I'm sure very soon he'll get his chance again.

And as for Kakuta: "He's now a part of this team, so he deserves the chance to come in and establish himself, and tonight he showed what he can do. He came in and did so well. He didn't disappoint anybody so it was a good introduction to the team and we're all happy with him."

The result moved the Whites to within just six points of the top seven, a league position which could result in European qualification. And although nobody is getting carried away just yet in a season in which the league table is so tight, the optimistic 29-year-old certainly sees no reason why he and his team-mates can't achieve such an outcome if they can keep their recent good form going.

"At the moment we all know what we would like to achieve come the end of the season," he said. "We played in Europe last season and we all know how exciting it is, so although there's still a long way to go, we're focused on getting a lot of wins on the board and who knows, maybe European games will be possible again, because the gap between where we are and the top seven isn't that big if we keep going the way we are."

Next up for the Whites is a trip to Villa Park on Saturday|, and with the current good momentum in the team, Pantsil is confident that another positive result is possible.

"If we really want to finish in the top seven again then we really need to start taking away points as well as our home games," he said. "Of course, home games are the more important, but away games are something that we need to start winning if we are to take our points tally as high as we want it to be."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/PantsilNewcastleReaction.aspx#ixzz1Ctia9FAm

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23920078-life-begins-at-40-in-the-top-flight-for-mark-schwarzer.do

Life begins at 40 in the top flight for Mark Schwarzer

David Smith

3 Feb 2011

Mark Schwarzer has already suffered one crushing blow this calendar year, having had his record 88th appearance for the Australian Socceroos soured by defeat against Japan in Saturday's Asian Cup Final, so the veteran goalkeeper is desperate to avoid another in the form of Fulham being relegated from the Premier League.

That is why, despite last night's 1-0 win over Newcastle lifting Fulham from 15th to 12th in the table, Schwarzer today warned his team-mates about complacency as they head towards two testing games, at Aston Villa on Saturday and at home against title-chasing Chelsea on Monday week.

The 38-year-old, who came straight back into Fulham's starting line-up after missing the last six games while on duty with Australia's national side, said: "It's always nice to look at the table and see yourself higher. But at this stage of the season it's all about picking up points, not where you are in the table from week to week.

"The sooner we get to 40 points, the sooner we can turn our attention to what position we're in."

Schwarzer left for the Asian Cup in Qatar immediately following a defeat at Tottenham on New Year's Day that left Fulham floundering third from bottom of the League. In his absence, Fulham chalked up one draw and four wins including Sunday's 4-0 trouncing of Spurs in the FA Cup.

He insisted that run of form came as no surprise, saying: "The signs were there before I left. We'd had a great result at Stoke, we were unlucky at Tottenham and after those two games it felt like it was a case of onwards and upwards.

"The performance against Newcastle might not have been our best but we were against a side that tried to stop us from playing. In the second half we got more space, took control of the game and deservedly won.

"You can see there's confidence in the team and we're building momentum. And having players coming back from injury makes a big difference."

Schwarzer was referring to strikers Andy Johnson and Mousa Dembele, who have added the cutting edge to Mark Hughes's team that was so obviously absent earlier in the campaign.

But he also applauded the transfer window captures of Steve Sidwell, from Aston Villa, and Gael Kakuta, the 19-year-old on loan from Chelsea who came off the bench to make his Fulham debut last night.

Schwarzer said: "Steve did well against Newcastle and Gael looks lively up front. Sometimes new players take time to settle but they already look like very good acquisitions."

Hughes's decision to recall Schwarzer at the expense of David Stockdale, who conceded just four goals in his six games standing in between the posts, was justified nine minutes from time when the Aussie reacted brilliantly to drop down and smother Nile Ranger's close-range shot.

That save enabled Fulham to maintain the momentum given to them by Damien Duff's first League goal of the season, cooly taken in the 66th minute when a pinpoint lobbed pass from Danny Murphy enabled the former Magpies winger to pick his spot past Steve Harper.

Hughes said: "Duffer got a little stick from the Newcastle fans so I was pleased for him, he's playing well.

"It was a great ball from Danny to pick him out and it was a good run across the line by Duffer. He had to keep a steady head to make sure he put the chance away."

The goal was one of the few highlights in a scrappy match.

Murphy said: "Sunday's win over Tottenham was such a fantastic display that there is a danger you think it will happen again.

"But to keep churning out performances is difficult and we were a bit flat. But we have played better recently and lost games, so we were due a scrappy win."

Hughes added: "It was a different test from the one against Spurs. We had to face a physical challenge. We had to deal with a lot of long balls."

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/mark-schwarzer/duff-sticks-it-to-his-former-club.html

Duff Sticks It To His Former Club

By: Jason Gatties |

February 2nd, 2011

It feels good to be back. I haven't been able to log on since  Saturday. The Offside had a record number of visitors on Sunday & Monday, which caused the server to go a bit wonky, preventing me from logging in. Then once I could log in yesterday, I lost power thanks to the "Snowgasm" in the midwest.

Since I missed out, here's a quick weekend recap: We kicked Tottenham's ass in the FA Cup and we picked up an over the hill Icelandic striker as the transfer window closed shut. Thankfully, I got my internet back up and running in time to watch Fulham this afternoon and obviously, I'm thrilled with the outcome.

After a scrappy, yet scoreless first half, I had a feeling we were in for a 0-0 draw. However, thanks to Damien Duff, we earned 3 valuable points and a 1-0 victory over Newcastle United.  In the 67th minute, Danny Murphy lofted a gem of a pass over the head of Jose Enrique, finding Duff who made a splendid run. Duff then fired a shot past Steve Harper, sending the Cottage supporters into a frenzy and lifting a giant monkey off the shoulders of our Irish midfielder.

Our boys played well the entire match, but I felt we shined in the second half. Our back four played very well, Mark Schwarzer showed now signs of jet lag guarding the net, Steve Sidwell & Danny Murphy played well in the middle & Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembele & Andy Johnson looked threatening up front. However, most encouraging to me was the play of Gael Kakuta, who is on loan for the remainder of the season from Chelsea. Kakuta replaced Andy Johnson around the 70th minute and nearly scored his first Fulham goal shortly after. He was very active and didn't seem lost at all, which is sometimes the case with a new player. Look for the kid to log more minutes on Saturday.

Fulham are now 12th in the table with 29 points. Considering where we were like a month ago, trust me, I'll take this. We got a rough stretch ahead, starting with our trip to Villa Park on Saturday, but if we continue to play at the high level we are currently playing at, don't be shocked if we nick another 3 points on the road this weekend.

COYW!

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/174925/FULHAM-1-NEWCASTLE-0-Duff-makes-it-toon-and-gloom-/

FULHAM 1 NEWCASTLE 0: DUFF MAKES IT TOON AND GLOOM

3rd February 2011 By Paul Brown

FULHAM 1 -- NEWCASTLE 0

DAMIEN DUFF piled more misery on Newcastle at the start of their post-Andy Carroll era.

The former Geordie favourite was booed all game by the Toon Army.

But he fired the only goal of the night in the 67th minute, taking a Danny Murphy long ball in his stride and turning Jose Enrique before firing home right-footed.

Newcastle looked short of options without £35m Carroll and were lucky not to concede a penalty when Mike Williamson twice fouled Brede Hangeland in the box.

The 'Judas Carroll' banner was predictable but feelings on Tyneside are mixed about the departure of the England striker to Liverpool.

There were just as many Geordies inside Craven Cottage who blamed unpopular owner Mike Ashley for Carroll's shock deadline day sale.

They wanted to see the money from the striker's exit pumped back into the club, but there was no big-name replacement on show last night.

Newcastle began with Leon Best and Shola Ameobi up front together – not a forward line to strike fear into Fulham hearts.

Toon went into the game unbeaten in the top flight this year, but their cause wasn't helped when Ameobi was forced off with a suspected broken jaw in the 15th minute to be replaced by Nile Ranger.

Fulham recalled Mark Schwarzer in goal after his Asia Cup jaunt with Australia.

That was a little harsh on stand-in keeper David Stockdale, who kept three clean sheets in the six matches he started in Schwarzer's absence.

The Cottagers seem to have finally found their feet under Mark Hughes and were hoping to build on a recent revival helped by the return to fitness of key players.

Money may be tight for Hughes but Fulham did manage to bring in a few new signings of their own before the transfer window slammed shut.

There was no place for Eidur Gudjohnsen in the squad, but Chelsea loanee Gael Kakuta was on the bench and Steve Sidwell started.

The night didn't begin well for Sidwell though, who was lucky not to deflect Joey Barton's in-swinging free-kick into his own net with a misplaced header in the early stages.

He then whipped in a shot at the other end which warmed the hands of Newcastle keeper Steve Harper, who was not exactly a busy man in the first half.

Hughes wanted a penalty for a clumsy challenge by Mike Williamson on Brede Hangeland, but referee Mike Jones was unmoved.

Clint Dempsey flashed a close-range shot wide of the upright from a pinpoint Murphy free-kick but it was tight and timid stuff.

Williamson then got away with another shirt-pull on Hangeland as the big defender went up for a Murphy cross at the far post, the referee ignoring Fulham appeals.

But it was scrappy, niggly stuff with chances few and far between at either end as the two sides battered away without any clear-cut chances.

Maybe the fans inside the Cottage should have seen that coming after the two teams battled each other to a standstill in a goalless draw at St James's Park in November.

Fulham may have battered Spurs here last time out, but there was no Dawson in Newcastle colours to help them on their way this time.

Hughes was becoming more and more frustrated, pacing around in his technical area waving his arms around at what he thought was Newcastle time-wasting.

Duff made a burst down the right but could not get his shot away before the Newcastle defence rallied to clear the danger.

Hughes had to fight off interest in the veteran from Blackburn during the window, revealing he ignored all calls from the Irishman's old club.

Duff went agonisingly close in the 50th minute when the ball fell to him on the edge of the six-yard box.

Dempsey forced a fine save from Harper, who could only parry the ball back into the danger area, but Duff somehow

stabbed it wide with the goal gaping.

Duff shook his head in disbelief but he had the last laugh to end a bad week for the Toon Army.

White Noise

http://blackandwhiteandreadallover.blogspot.com/2011/02/duffed-up.html

Duffed up

Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle Utd

Before we start, it's worth remembering that whether we still had someone in our number nine shirt or not, he wouldn't have played last night due to injury. Therefore, Rocky's presence in our squad would have made no difference whatsoever to the team which Alan Pardew sent out last night against Fulham.

The fact that we lost, and looked pretty toothless in attack, does however become more alarming when you think that we don't now have the luxury of thinking our leading goalscorer is only a little way shy of returning to the first team.

The game itself was a pretty tight affair, with few chances for either side. Up front for Newcastle, Leon Best partnered Big Lad as Pardew sent out the same team which had drawn with Spurs in our last league match. Unfortunately for us (and in a twist faintly reminiscent of the Shearer injury following the sale of Ferdinand) we lost Big Lad early in proceedings thanks to a fractured cheekbone courtesy of Steve Sidwell's elbow. This left Pardew to bring on Nile Ranger to partner Best.

While we did a pretty good job of closing down the space and preventing Fulham from really getting going, unfortunately we were unable to fashion any decent chances of our own - our best moment being a Best header which sailed over the bar. At the other end, Mike Williamson looked to be pushing his luck on a couple of occasions, but Steve Harper wasn't really extended.

The second half, however, saw a marked improvement in our hosts' performance, as they started to press forward and soon enough our erstwhile winger Damien Duff began to carve out chances, although his poor shooting saw us let off twice in relatively quick succession. However, a long ball over the top saw the Irishman catch Jose Enrique napping, and he had enough pace to hold off the Spaniard before knocking the ball past Steve Harper to give Fulham a one goal lead.

At the other end, we never really looked like getting back on terms, our best chance being a turn and shot by Ranger which he didn't properly connect with and which Schwarzer was able to save. Lovenkrands replaced Best late on, but the Dane never looked like finding an opportunity to get us back on level terms.

What was perhaps most alarming was the disspirited look of the team as a whole. The Rocky saga seems to have deflated the side, and our previously good team spirit, which presumably was boosted by the trip to Portugal, already looks in short supply. It's easy to read too much into one match, but with Arsenal our next opponents, it doesn't look as though things are likely to pick up any time soon. Hopefully Big Lad will be back on the pitch (presumably sporting a mask) sooner rather than later, given that he now looks our most potent attacking weapon.

What is apparent is that Pardew needs to earn his money now by getting the team to pull together again - and quickly.

White Noise

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/match_report_fulham_1_newcastle_united_0_1_3037443

Match report: Fulham 1 Newcastle United 0

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Thu Feb 03 11:28:37 GMT 2011

IT took just 10 minutes for the sale of Andy Carroll to unravel even further, if that was possible.

The sight of Shola Ameobi walking towards the tunnel at Craven Cottage nursing a suspected fractured cheekbone was a sobering one for the Newcastle United fans massed in the Putney End.

However, an already bad night was to get worse.

And the vision of Damien Duff slipping the ball past Steve Harper midway through the second half was as unwelcome as that of Ameobi lying on the turf after being inadvertantly caught by an elbow from Steve Sidwell.

A couple of weeks ago Newcastle's long-suffering supporters were daring to dream of Europe.

Now they've been woken up, and survival, as it was at the start of the season, is all they're hoping for, the nightmare of relegation having again come to the fore in the wake of Carroll's controversial sale to Liverpool.

It was said in the aftermath of the deal that Alan Pardew couldn't field a £35m cheque up front.

Pardew can't, and all he can field is Leon Best, Nile Ranger and Peter Lovenkrands for the foreseeable future, and what happens if one or more of those succumbs to injury?

The figure Liverpool paid for Carroll might well have been "extraordinary", but relegation would cost Newcastle a lot, lot more.

Last night, Ranger was sent on to partner Best after Ameobi's withdrawal, and the pair had a chance each after the break – but that was about the sum total of United's attacking intent at the Cottage.

Pardew's players battled hard all over the pitch, but clearly, the events of transfer deadline day have had an impact on morale, and understandably so.

Newcastle, it seemed, were moving in the right direction, with Joey Barton set to follow the likes of Carroll and Steven Taylor in committing himself to the club beyond next season.

However, United's fans, as they filed out of Craven Cottage, won't have been looking to the long term.

Instead, they'll have been more concerned with the short term, and more precisely how the club can get through the next 14 games.

Of course, on another night Newcastle might well have taken a point, having largely defended well against Mark Hughes's side, only for one lapse to cost them.

That the lapse was punished by Duff added insult to injury for many, but arguably the most significant factor in the winger's lack of form during his time at St James's Park was injury, not a lack of commitment.

Maybe most Newcastle fans accepted that, as the boos which greeted his first touches were half-hearted.

And having missed a sitter early in the second half, there was no way Duff was going to pass up the opportunity which came his way after Danny Murphy played him in with a delightful lofted ball in the 67th minute.

There was no coming back for a spirited, but spent, United.

But this Newcastle side has come through bigger challenges, and has often been at his best when the players have had their backs against the wall.

And the hope is that spirit, if nothing else, should see them through.

[email protected]

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Harper 8; Simpson 6, Williamson 7, Coloccini 6, Enrique 6; Barton 6, Guthrie 6, Nolan 6, Gutierrez 5; Best 5 (Lovenkrands, 72, 5), Ameobi (Ranger, 13, 5). Subs not used: Krul, Campbell, Perch, Ferguson, Richardson.

FULHAM: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Duff (Davies, 87), Murphy (Gera, 87), Sidwell, Dempsey; Dembele, Johnson (Kakuta, 71). Subs not used: Stockdale, Salcido, Kamara, Greening.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Steve Harper. Had it not been for his heroics in goal, the score would have been a lot, lot worse.

HIGHLIGHT: The naming of Michael Richardson among the substitutes. The midfielder's one for the future.

LOWLIGHT: Just two days after the sale of Andy Carroll, the sight of Shola Ameobi being ushered to the dressing room with a suspected broken cheekbone was a desperate one.

Goals: Duff 67

Bookings: Simpson 32, Guthrie 42, Nolan 54

Sent off: None

Referee: Mike Jones (Chester)

Attendance: 25,620

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_6716754,00.html

Tyler's Starting Stat - Fulham's home comforts

I was at Craven Cottage on Wednesday to see Fulham's fifth consecutive home win in all competitions and their third in the Premier League. They'd won 3-0 against West Brom, then 2-0 against Stoke so perhaps we should have guessed the score would be 1-0.

This was the first time in 10 Premier League games this season when Fulham had been level at half-time and gone on to win. On the other nine occasions they'd drawn five and lost four, so Mark Hughes will have been relieved to see Damien Duff's winner in the second half.

That was Duff's fourth goal against Newcastle and his first since leaving the club. He had previously scored against them twice for Chelsea and once for Blackburn. That goal inflicted Newcastle's first Premier League defeat of 2011. Of course, they had lost at Stevenage in the FA Cup and now they've lost at the ground next to Stevenage Road!

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_6716754,00.html

THE SQUAD GAME

Hi Martin, am new to your posts but I must appreciate the interesting work you and your team doing. I believe that Man U, Blackburn, West Ham and Aston Villa all have fielded 28 players this season so far. Is this some kind of record and if not then which team has fielded highest number of players in a season, as I think it must be West Ham? Nabil Khalid (Chelsea fan)

MARTIN SAYS: Yes Nabil. In fact, since you sent your question, Aston Villa and West Ham have fielded even more players and both have used 31 each in the Premier League. That's in stark contrast to Everton, who have used just 20. Opta have detailed how many players each team has used this season, but the numbers are likely to change as more and more January signings make their debuts. For example, Chelsea have only used 21 players so far in the Premier League, but that will increase when Fernando Torres and David Luiz make their debuts.

Most players used in the Premier League (2010/11):

31: Aston Villa, West Ham
29: Man Utd
28: Blackburn, Wolves
27: Blackpool, Fulham, Sunderland, Tottenham
26: Newcastle, West Brom
25: Arsenal, Liverpool, Stoke
24: Man City
23: Wigan
22: Birmingham, Bolton, Chelsea
20: Everton

You may be surprised by those figures after the introduction of the 25-man squad rule, but there is great flexibility with the use of young home-grown players, plus of course the lists of players change following the January transfer window. For example, Aston Villa named a 23-man squad in August, but only fielded 20 of those players. However their total of 31 comes from the fact they used seven "home-grown players (Marc Albrighton, Nathan Baker, Barry Bannan, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Delfouneso, Fabian Delph and Chris Herd) plus four new signings (Darren Bent, Jean Makoun, Robert Pires and Kyle Walker)

Aston Villa have already used eight players more than they did in the whole of last season when they used just 23. Portsmouth (33) used more players than any other side last term, so Villa only need to use two more players to match that. As a point of comparison, here's how many players each team used last year:

33: Portsmouth
31: Man City
30: Arsenal, Chelsea, Hull, Man Utd, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham
29: Fulham, Wolves
28: Blackburn, Everton, Sunderland
27: Wigan
26: Burnley
25: Birmingham City, Bolton
23: Aston Villa, Stoke

However, it is unlikely that anybody will surpass the Premier League record for most players used in a season. That accolade goes to Middlesbrough who utilised 37 members of their squad in the 2005/06 campaign, though four players only figured once (Colin Cooper, Joseph Desire-Job, Josh Walker and Tom Craddock).

Players used by Middlesbrough in 2005/06 Premier League season:

Mark Schwarzer, Michael Reiziger, Abel Xavier, Franck Queudrue, Ugo Ehiogu, Gareth Southgate, George Boateng, Szilard Nemeth, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Fabio Rochemback, Emanuel Pogatetz, Gaizka Mendieta, Ray Parlour, Joseph-Desire Job, Doriva, Massimo Maccarone, Stuart Downing, Yakubu, Stuart Parnaby, Brad Jones, Andrew Davies, Colin Cooper, James Morrison, Matthew Bates, Ross Turnbull, Tony McMahon, Danny Graham, David Wheater, Andrew Taylor, Jason Kennedy, Mark Viduka, Adam Johnson, Tom Craddock, Lee Cattermole, Josh Walker

White Noise

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_1_toon_0_628709/index.shtml

Fulham 1 Toon 0

By Nu Mad Thursday, 3rd February 2011

It wasn't so much 'life without Carroll' at Craven Cottage, because Judas hasn't been part of the first team squad for weeks, after falling off a bar stool pissed in a casino.

FULHAM 1 NEWCASTLE UTD 0

FULHAM: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Dempsey, Sidwell, Murphy (Gera 87), Duff (Davies 87), Andrew Johnson (Kakuta 71), Dembele.
Subs Not Used: Stockdale, Salcido, Kamara, Greening.

NEWCASTLE: Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Best (Lovenkrands 72), Ameobi (Ranger 13).
Subs Not Used: Krul, Campbell, Perch, Ferguson, Richardson.

Att: 25,620

But the fact is ... we had better brace ourselves for a tough second-half to the season if THIS match is anything to go by ... because this was THE PITS!

Damien Duff twisted the knife into his former club but that was just part of the story.

Steve Harper was magnificent, but there so many dead bodies out there wearing the Newcastle badge, it was frightening.

Williamson could have given away two penalties (if the referee had the balls to give them), and although Enrique will take the stick for bad marking for Duff''s goal, it was Williamson who played the former Chelsea winger onside as he was caught ball watching.

Barton put in crosses, but he hasn't got a target to hit anymore, now that the 9ft 13" lighthouse has buggered off to Scouseland.

Best gets lost in the opponent's backline and needs to be hunted out rather than spotted from distance, and Ranger is schoolkid looking for a ball to play with.

Mark Hughes said this game was "hard work", it was hard work WATCHING it!

Match report:-

It was another night to forget for Newcastle, who lost Shola Ameobi to a suspected fractured cheekbone just 13 minutes in, less than 48 hours after selling star striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool.

Newcastle could ill afford to lose another forward but that was exactly what happened when Ameobi took an elbow to the head in a challenge with Steve Sidwell after just 10 minutes.

Three minutes of futile treatment followed before Ameobi was led down the tunnel and replaced by Nile Ranger.

The visitors had shown total commitment to that point, with Mike Williamson closely shadowing the in-form Moussa Dembele.

Duff's deflected shot and a weak Danny Simpson strike at the other end were the only efforts of note in the opening quarter, although Sidwell arguably saved a goal by flicking Joey Barton's free-kick behind.

Danny Murphy went close to sending Clint Dempsey clean through but Steve Harper was too quick off his line, while the goalkeeper also snaffled Sidwell's harmless long-ranger.

Newcastle's discipline began to waver and Simpson was booked just past the half-hour mark for hauling back the increasingly influential Dempsey, who also drilled narrowly wide from close range as Newcastle failed to deal with a Murphy free-kick.

Newcastle were briefly down to 10 men again before half-time thanks to another head injury, this time to Simpson.

Williamson produced a great block to deny Duff an early second-half opener but the winger should then have put Fulham ahead in the 50th minute when he prodded wide from barely three yards after Dempsey's shot was saved by Harper and deflected straight to the winger.

Captain Kevin Nolan was booked for a rash tackle on Dembele but the visitors were starting to get a foothold in the game.

Leon Best nodded Danny Guthrie's cross off target and the recalled Chris Baird sent Jonas Gutierrez's wicked cross just the right side of his own post.

Williamson made a near-fatal error just past the hour when he gifted the ball to Duff and Dempsey unleashed a rising near-post drive which was tipped over by Harper.

More suicidal defending ultimately cost them in the 67th minute when Jose Enrique was too easily beaten by Duff to Murphy's 60-yard ball and the Irishman kept his cool to strike right-footed past Harper.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes handed on-loan Chelsea winger Gael Kakuta his debut with 19 minutes remaining as Andy Johnson was withdrawn, while Newcastle threw on Peter Lovenkrands for Best.

Baird's free-kick grasscutter was too close to Harper before the Fulham fans began to chant: "There's only one Andy Carroll."

Kakuta should have killed the game 10 minutes from time when he sidefooted Dembele's cross straight at Harper.

And he was almost made to pay seconds later when Ranger forced Mark Schwarzer - a surprise starter four days after the end of Australia's Asian Cup campaign - into a brilliant point-blank smother from Nolan's cutback.

The chances kept coming and Dempsey shot too close to Harper and Kakuta saw his finish blocked after a brilliant, sweeping move.

Fulham ran down time by removing Murphy and Duff for Zoltan Gera and Simon Davies but they also went closest to another goal, with Dembele prodding too close to Harper.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/02/football-news/english-premier-league-preview-aston-villa-v-fulham

English Premier League preview: Aston Villa v Fulham

Date: 3rd February 2011 at 1:24 pm |

Written by FFC News Desk
Gerard Houllier has been handed a selection fillip with Stewart Downing set to be fit to face Fulham on Saturday.

Downing hobbled off in the 3-1 English Premier League loss to Manchester United on Wednesday but Houllier is confident the England winger will play against Mark Hughes's men.

However, defender Luke Young's knee injury continues to cause Houllier headaches.

Young has been out of action for two months and Houllier is anxious to find a solution.

"Stewart should be fine. It was just a kick on the side of his shin," Houllier said.

"As for Luke, he saw a specialist in London so it will depend what the results are."

Houllier has vowed that Villa's loss at Old Trafford will not knock his side out of their stride after their recent revival.

The 3-1 reverse against Sir Alex Ferguson's title favourites was Villa's first setback since the depressing loss at home to Sunderland on January 5.

"Our overall performance was good," he said.

"I like a team to try to the end and they did that. The spirit is there and that's something to work on for the future."

Houllier will be keen for goalkeeper Brad Friedel to continue in his current form.

Friedel crowned his record-breaking appearance as Villa's oldest ever player with a string of top-class saves at Old Trafford.

"He's doing extremely well at the moment and is in good form. If our results have been better lately, it's partly that," Houllier said.

Fulham, meanwhile, will be aiming to improve their poor away form.

The Cottagers have won only once away from Craven Cottage in the league since August 2009 – a 2-0 win at Stoke in December.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell, who joined Fulham from Villa on loan on January 7, is expected to play against his old side.

Sidwell hit the headlines in the 1-0 win over Newcastle on Wednesday when he accidentally caught striker Shola Ameobi with his elbow.

Ameobi suffered a suspected fractured cheekbone in the challenge.

Experienced striker Eidur Gudjohnsen will come into the Fulham reckoning after joining on loan from Stoke City until the end of the season.

White Noise

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-upturn-never-in-doubt-1160254.html

Cottagers upturn never in doubt

Last Updated: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:04

Mark Hughes claims he was never worried about Fulham's form in the first half of the season as he knew the good results would come.

The Cottagers boss faced an uncertain time over his future at the club following a poor start to the campaign, in which it looked like the Londoners would be facing a real fight for Premier League survival.

However, following the 1-0 home win against Newcastle on Wednesday, thanks to Damien Duff's strike against his former club, Hughes' men moved five points clear of the bottom three.

Following the upturn in fortunes since the New Year, the former Blackburn and Manchester City chief said he was never in any doubt that results would improve once key players returned to fitness and the squad adapted to his style of play.

"I have to say we're delighted with the result," he told Sky Sports.

"In fairness to them in the first half they did a little bit of a job on us and stopped us playing our natural game so we had to play a different game, compete and earn the right to win. In the second half that's what we did.

"I think that's five wins on the bounce now at home. I knew in the New Year we'd come good because I was getting players back. I been here for a few months now and things we're been working on are coming to the fore.

"It's never been a worry from my point of view. What we needed was positive results to settle everyone down and we're the form team at the moment.

"We've got big games from now until the end of the season. It'll be another test at the weekend, but I'm sure we'll be up for it."

Hughes also hailed the debut display of on-loan Chelsea winger Gael Kakuta.

He added: "As soon as he came into the building you could see the qualities he has. He has fantastic feet and is very aware of the players around him.

"At the right time, in the right games, against the right opposition, he'll have a real impact."