Started by White Noise, February 07, 2011, 06:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6734192,00.html

Murphy earns Hughes praise

Cottagers boss hails skipper's consistency

Last updated: 6th February 2011

Murphy: Inspired

Mark Hughes has hailed Danny Murphy as the driving force behind Fulham's revival since the turn of the year.

The Cottagers entered 2011 languishing in the lower reaches of the Premier League table.

It had been suggested that they were poised for a relegation dogfight, with victories in short supply.

However, the new year ushered in a reversal in fortune for Fulham, with positive progress made over recent weeks.

Hughes' men have picked up 11 points from their last six games, moving them into mid-table.

One man who has helped to lead that charge is experienced midfielder Murphy, with the 33-year-old proving to be an integral cog in the Cottagers machine.

"He has been really consistent this year in fairness," said Hughes.

Plaudits

"Early in the season, we weren't getting many plaudits because we were struggling to pick up points.

"Right through the season from the start to now, Danny has put consistently excellent performances together.

"He has driven the team on. At the moment we are getting positive results and people are recognising the job that Danny has done this year."

Meanwhile, following a 2-2 draw at Aston Villa on Saturday, January signing Steve Sidwell has reiterated the need for Fulham to continue picking up points away from home - something which has caused them problems in the past.

He said: "The need to improve the away record was drummed into the boys as soon as I went there.

"Craven Cottage is a fortress, but we need to pick up points away and slowly but surely we're doing that.

"It's something to improve and build on."

White Noise

Hughes tips Johnson to earn England recall

Published 23:00 06/02/11

By Ann Gripper

Andy Johnson is getting back to his best - and has a double incentive of a new contract and an England return to play for.

He flung himself headlong at the rebound from Steve Sidwell's shot to notch Fulham's first equaliser against Villa, his second goal since returning from nine months out with knee trouble.

And with 18 months left on his contract, the striker has everything to play for.

Boss Mark Hughes said: "Absolutely we want to keep him.

"He's missed a lot of football and we're hopeful now that he'll have a run of games and his career will progress without injury.

"He was in the England squad prior to his injury problems. Who's to say that, if he keeps himself fit, he can't get himself back into those squads?"

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-believes-Andy-Johnson-could-eventually-earn-an-England-recall-article692237.html#ixzz1DFiHxk6e

White Noise

Aston Villa 2-2 Fulham: Daily Mirror Mirror match report

Published 22:05 06/02/11

By Anne Gripper

Kyle Walker claimed his first League goal with a stunning strike - then celebrated with a shock England call-up.

The 20-year-old has impressed this season, first on loan at Championship pace-setters QPR and now at Aston Villa.

And after opening his senior goal account in the FA Cup third round last month, Walker ensured his first Premier League effort was a memorable one.

Collecting the ball in the centre circle, he strode forward before letting fly from 30 yards.

With England still searching for a permanent fixture at right back since Gary Neville faded from the international scene, Walker's attacking instincts have caught the eye of Three Lions boss Fabio Capello.

And now Walker is looking to increase the Neville-factor in his game as he bids to become a more complete defender.

Walker said: "My speed does get me out of a lot of trouble but I need to learn not to use my pace as much and get into correct positions so I can cover.

"I've got to work on the defensive side and then hopefully just see what happens.

"I used to be a centre forward growing up - I was converted to a defender in my second year of scholarship.

"When I became a right-back my coach told me to look at Gary Neville and Ashley Cole - Cole for going forward and Neville for the defending - and I would learn a lot. That's what I've done.

"I've always looked up to Gary Neville. He's not the quickest and isn't really like an Ashley Cole getting forward, but not many people beat him."

Villa boss Gerard Houllier admits he sees the U21s as a more realistic level for the young defender at the moment, but Walker need not feel intimidated when he walks into the England camp.

Four of his Villa team mates - Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing - will be there to show him the ropes.

And Walker showed against Fulham he has already established a good rapport with Downing.

Walker explained: "It's good for me because Stewart's left-footed so he can come in and I can get around him. It's a good understanding

"Stewart's a good lad to me, he's helped me out a lot. He talks me through the game, and it's good for me to learn from an experienced international."

It was Downing's wicked cross with the outside of his left foot which produced the game's opener after 12 minutes, John Pantsil heading into his own net for a hat-trick of own goals this season.

Bent had already seen an effort ruled out for offside, and the first half was all Villa, barring two long-range Steve Sidwell efforts.

Returning to his former club after a January transfer, Sidwell looked hungry, and it was another of his shots which produced the equaliser, Andy Johnson stooping to head in after Brad Friedel spilled.

Then came Walker's cracker, before Clint Dempsey beat Friedel to a Danny Murphy corner to ensure the spoils were shared, though the visitors looked more likely to snatch a late winner.

Sidwell said: "It's nice to come back and play well. I got shots off against Villa, I didn't get on the scoresheet but it won't be long before I do, and when I do I'll be in full flight.

"That Villa chapter's closed and this is a new one. I'm finally settled and I'm enjoying it."

Villa: Friedel 5, Walker 8, Collins 7, Dunne 6, Clark 7, Makoun 7 [yellow card], Petrov 6 [yellow card] (Albrighton 83mins), Downing 8, Young 6, Agbonlahor 7 (Heskey 86mins) , Bent 6

Fulham: Schwarzer 6, Pantsil 4 (Salcido 62mins 6), Hughes 6, Hangeland 7, Baird 7, Duff 6 (Davies 67mins, 6), Sidwell 8, Murphy 7, Dembele 6, Johnson 7, Dempsey 7 (Gudjohnsen 90mins)

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-2-2-Fulham-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Kyle-Walker-s-first-goal-comes-before-surprise-England-selection-article692235.html#ixzz1DFicb3lA

White Noise

ASTON VILLA 2 FULHAM 2: KYLE EYES HIS IDOL'S THRONE 

Monday February 7,2011

By Brendan McLoughlin 

HAVING waved farewell to one of England's finest right-backs last week the emergence of a new young pretender to his throne could not have been better timed.

As Gary Neville, 35, hung up his boots after 602 games for Manchester United and 85 England caps, Kyle Walker stepped from the shadows.

Walker, on loan to Aston Villa from Tottenham, was the shock inclusion in Fabio Capello's squad for the friendly with Denmark on Wednesday, despite making just six Premier League appearances.

It was very nearly a perfect day for Walker, who had put Villa 2-1 ahead against Fulham with a stunning 25-yard drive only for Clint Dempsey to equalise.

"I've always looked up to Gary Neville," said Walker. "You're not going to stay at United for 20-odd years if you're not a good defender.

"When I became a right-back, I was told to look at Neville and Ashley Cole – Neville for his defending and Cole for going forward– and I would learn a lot."

His display left Villa boss Gerard Houllier saying: "Kyle showed international quality."

John Pantsil's third own goal of the season gave Villa the lead – but Andy Johnson levelled with a diving header.

Manager Mark Hughes is ready to offer Johnson a new deal, saying: "Would I like to keep him? Absolutely."

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/227581/Aston-Villa-2-Fulham-2-Kyle-eyes-his-idol-s-throne/Aston-Villa-2-Fulham-2-Kyle-eyes-his-idol-s-throne#ixzz1DFj6gDhf

White Noise

Hodgson's the top target for Albion after axe falls on Di Matteo

By Neil Moxley

Last updated at 12:45 AM on 7th February 2011

Roy Hodgson will be offered a quick return to football with West Bromwich Albion as they draw up a short-list to replace Roberto Di Matteo.

Former Liverpool and Fulham manager Hodgson is seen as the man to steady the ship after the Italian was ruthlessly axed following Saturday's 3-0 thumping at Manchester City.

Michael Appleton has been placed in temporary charge and will undertake preliminary preparations ahead of Saturday's relegation tussle against West Ham.

Ousted: Di Matteo had been under threat for weeks

If Hodgson doesn't want the job, former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton will be in the frame, along with former Hawthorns favourite Derek McInnes, now in charge of St Johnstone.

It is a difficult task, but by no means impossible. After taking 15 points from their first nine fixtures, West Bromwich have picked up only 11 more from their last 17, with Saturday's Carlos Tevez-inspired defeat proving the final straw for chairman Jeremy Peace.

The sacking was a calculated move with two home fixtures against relegation rivals in the next fortnight. West Brom follow their game against the Hammers with the visit of Wolves on February 20.

Three and easy: Tevez scored a hat-trick in Di Matteo's last game for West Brom

Di Matteo, 40, was placed on 'gardening leave' on Sunday, suggesting there are contractual issues to sort out. But he may leave wondering exactly what he was expected to achieve with one of the smallest playing budgets in the Barclays Premier League and with a newly-promoted side.

The writing was on the wall before the game against Blackpool three weeks ago. According to sources close to Di Matteo, he and Peace had already locked horns over another contractual issue. And when the chairman had a three-hour meeting with two club director s the day before Blackpool's visit, word spread that all was not well.

Is this the way to the Hawthorns? Hodgson is the early favourite to replace Di Matteo

A 3-2 victory over Ian Holloway's side afforded the manager a reprieve. But Peace felt that fresh impetus could lift the club ahead of two fixtures that will have a major bearing on West Bromwich's survival battle and decided to part company with the affable Di Matteo, who joined the club in the summer of 2009 after guiding MK Dons to the League One play-offs.

Peace said: 'This club's track record proves we do not take such decisions lightly, with Roberto being only our fourth manager or head coach in almost 11 years. Our poor sequence stretches back more than three months and there has been little sign of it coming to an end. That is why we felt compelled to act now.'

League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan countered: 'Roberto represents yet another victim of the hire and fire mentality that pervades our game. The club have big matches ahead, against Wolves and West Ham and you have to question the decision to sack the manager. It is exactly in situations like those that we all want to see clubs back the individuals they have employed rather than see the sack as a panacea.

'In West Brom's case, that means showing support and loyalty to the manager who brought the club automatic promotion back to the Premier League last season at the first time of asking - someone who was the manager of the month only four months ago.'

West Bromwich, however, were concerned with Di Matteo' s management style. There were questions about his commitment regarding the homework he carried out on opponents and prospective targets alike.

However, he went by the title of head coach and recruitment fell under the umbrella of the director of football, Dan Ashworth. But following Hughton's sacking, coincidentally after a game at The Hawthorns, when Newcastle were 10th in the Premier League, it appears no manager is safe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1354299/Roy-Hodgsons-target-West-Bromwich-Albion.html#ixzz1DFjS0wTW

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3394680/Andy-Johnson-set-for-a-new-deal-at-Fulham.html

Andy is a big deal again

Published: Today

INJURY-HIT Andy Johnson is set to be rewarded with a new deal at Fulham.

AJ ignored the Villa boo-boys, who have not forgotten his Birmingham connections, to pounce for the Cottagers' first leveller.

Now boss Mark Hughes has given Johnson the incentive of a fresh contract after the player missed much of 2010 after a knee op a year ago plus shoulder and hip problems.

Hughes said: "He has 18 months left and I want to keep him. He had a significant injury and he's been out for a considerable length of time.

"He's missed a lot of football and we're hopeful now that he'll have a run of games and his career will progress without injury.

"We're starting to see the best of him. Now thankfully he's added goals. He's in good shape at the moment.

"He was in the England squad prior to his injury problems. Who is to say that if he keeps himself fit he can't get himself back into those squads?"

Steve Sidwell set up Johnson's goal and admitted he is settled at Fulham after being frozen out at Villa.

He said: "I was frustrated. I just wanted to play.

"But I got out and it's working for me now."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/proving_a_point.php

Proving a Point

Posted by Phil Mison 6 hours, 59 minutes ago

© mirroruk

Winning home games and nicking draws on the road is all we can ask for cementing our position in the Premiership. Hughes keeps Fulham moving in the right directon at Villa.

We'll start with the laurels. Big shout out to David Stockdale for breaking into the England squad. Recognition well deserved for his composed attitude when getting his chance. Fulham have a world class keeper waiting in the wings who is good for the next ten years if we keep him sweet. And well done to Dempsey for his 10th goal of a very impressive season. Braveheart as ever totally committed, going in hard where it hurts to thunder home our second equaliser with his head. Even when not having an outstanding game, Clint continues to show his value to the cause. What a return we've had from the Texan since 2007 for an outlay of just £1.5 million.

I don't think we'll be hearing from the cocky Villa posters in a hurry who predicted a comfortable home win. Although we failed to break our duck on this ground, only a desperate block by Friedel with his legs at the death denied AJ a winner we might just have deserved for our spirited response to twice going behind. On paper Houllier's side have relied on a fluke of an own goal from the accident-prone Pants and a wonder blast from distance by the full-back. Walker won't repeat that in a hurry I'll wager. As for 'superstar' Bent, apart from his early off-side effort - close call - he was kept very quiet by our immaculate defence. How many times was Schwarzer really tested?

From a neutral's perspective a draw was about right. As predicted Villa moved the ball out to the wings at every opportunity. Downing was the danger against our makeshift left-back. Hughes understandably switched Baird in the 2nd half, sacrificed John, and asked Salcido to try and shackle Downing. We just about got away with it, and late on the tide turned.

The home fans were getting restless as they realised Fulham had turned up to make a game of it. Petrov and Makoun both faded while Sidwell and Danny got stronger. If Villa took the first half, the 2nd belonged to the Whites. Sidwell did what I asked of him, testing Freidel from range. The 39 year-old has been a fantastic fixture in the Prem for so long now, but he didn't show up well for either goal. That should not detract however from two brave headers by the Fulham boys to make sure they were first to the ball.

Not sure why Kakuta didn't get on the pitch. Felt he could have made the difference late on, especially as Moussa looked a little tentative after taking a whack on his ankle before half-time.

Man of the match honours among the travelling support divided opinion. Sidwell, AJ and Brede all got votes. Top marks though for the Black and White Army, we made plenty of noise and enjoyed celebrating the two goals at 'our' end.

On a bumper weekend for goals and incident, let's end talking penalties. Phil Dowd was at it again at St James Park, penalising Arsenal twice and putting United back in the game. He was on the spot and decisive last Sunday in our favour against Spurs. Tell me this. If the challenges yesterday by Koscielny and Rosicky were deemed foul play, can the referee from Wednesday along with his pitiful linesman please explain why assualts on Brede in the box went unpunished. Does the addition of numerous bodies around such incidents inside the box render officials blind for some reason? A foul is a foul on every part of the pitch. Ref Mike Jones stay behind and write out 100 times.

Hughes is certainly tempering a new mood at the club. No longer the fatherly approach of Uncle Roy, not that Hodgson didn't get results that way. He's stated Bobby is not going to march straight back into the side and that Pants has to work hard for a new contract. He's denied Gera a move away, is not afraid to keep Stockdale on ice, and has really added competition for places with his loanees. Talk about keeping the players on their toes. If Hughes gets it right and results keep improving, we could see Fulham turning into a very steely proposition in the Prem. That's a word rarely associated with FFC since our elevation. Villa fans turned up yesterday, looked at our away record, and settled back for their customary win. We gave them a run for their money. Now let's do the same to our next opponents...Yes, you know who.

COYW - Top 10 finish and a good Cup run is on the cards!
Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/loaner-report-2611/

Loaner Report 2/6/11

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 3:16 pm

It's back!

It's crazy to think that not a single player was loaned out during the first part of the season, as that may be a record for Fulham.

Anyway, Eddie Johnson re-joins the loaner ranks for the third time in his illustrious 3 year stint with the club. Also joining is youngin' Keanu Marsh-Brown.

Eddie Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Preston North End's 4-0 loss to Bristol City on Saturday. He had 4 shots, none on goal.

Keanu Marsh-Brown started and played 62 minutes in MK Dons' 2-2 tie at Sheffield Wednesday.

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3393697/Aston-Villa-2-Fulham-2.html

Aston Villa 2 Fulham 2

Published: 05 Feb 2011

Add a comment (6)

Kyle Walker's first Aston Villa goal put the home side 2-1 in front with 18 minutes remaining.

But Dempsey leapt highest to head home on 78 minutes as Fulham built on their midweek win over Newcastle.

Earlier, John Pantsil scored his second own goal in four games to gift Villa the lead.

Andy Johnson's second goal of the season brought the visitors back into it before the late drama.

And Cottagers boss Mark Hughes praised his side's resilience for twice coming from behind.

He said: "John was disappointed at half-time. It was affecting him so I made the early decision to take him off.

"It was a difficult ball for him to deal with but he got it wrong and it can affect your confidence.

"You always review every goal you concede to try to erase any little defaults.

"But I was pleased with the way the team came back twice and kicked on and in the end we could have taken three points."

Hughes added: "We picked ourselves up from the own goal and restricted Villa to very few opportunities in the first half.

"It was a great finish by Andrew Johnson and we then really took the game to Villa and asked questions of them.

"We went behind again but we kept going, weren't to be denied and showed great quality."

Villa chief Gerard Houllier groaned: "We dropped two points today. Had we got a second goal at 1-0 the game would have been over.

"But we have to be disappointed with ourselves, we have to blame ourselves.

"I'm disappointed with the result but not the performance. At times we played good football and are improving. But we need to be more clinical and ruthless.

"That was also the case when we played Manchester United here. In the final third, we must show more aggression. But it is a long season and we are learning.

"We could also have avoided both goals we conceded. We have enough height at the back.

"The players were disappointed with themselves but there are positives I can take from the game."

Danny Murphy tried his luck early on with a volley that went well wide but Stewart Downing took centre stage as Villa started to dominate.

The winger saw a low shot parried by Mark Schwarzer with Darren Bent offside as he tucked home the rebound.

But on 13 minutes Downing's cross pressurised Pantsil and he could only head past Schwarzer with Gabby Agbonlahor lurking.

Former Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell had Fulham's first shot on goal after 18 minutes but Brad Friedel was equal to his swerving 20-yarder.

A mistake by Villa skipper Stiliyan Petrov allowed Moussa Dembele a free run at the penalty area. But, after the ball broke to Damien Duff, Villa left-back Ciaran Clark was alert to block his low shot.

Sidwell was only just wide of the target with a low shot which had Friedel scrambling across his goal.

Another error from Petrov played Jean Makoun into trouble and Dembele tried to take advantage but James Collins made the block.

Sidwell brought down Petrov 30 yards out in a central position. Downing's shot was blocked but Makoun's follow-up effort was only just wide.

Villa began the second half on top and Schwarzer held on to a drive from Agbonlahor before Bent wasted a good chance.

Sidwell ralled for Fulham and his low attempt was deflected behind by James Collins.

But after 52 minutes former Birmingham striker Johnson brought Fulham level.

Friedel parried another shot from Sidwell and Johnson was first to react to the rebound.

Clark could have restored Villa's lead immediately but failed to make clean contact with his header from Downing's centre. Agbonlahor then teed up Young who sliced his shot wide.

A long-range strike from Walker after 72 minutes restored Villa's lead. The on-loan Tottenham player had time to line up a 30-yard shot which flew past Schwarzer into the corner of the net.

But with 12 minutes left, Fulham levelled for the second time as Dempsey got to Murphy's corner before Friedel to nod into an empty net.

And Villa needed Friedel to be at his best to keep hold of a point with a minute left when he blocked Johnson's powerful drive.

Aston Villa: Friedel, Walker, Dunne, Collins, Clark, Petrov (Albrighton 83), Makoun, Downing, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor (Heskey 86), Bent. Subs not used: Marshall, Pires, Delfouneso, Reo-Coker, Cuellar. Booked: Ashley Young, Petrov, Makoun. Goals: Pantsil 13 og, Walker 72.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Pantsil (Salcido 62), Hughes, Hangeland, Baird, Duff (Davies 67), Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey, Dembele, Johnson (Gudjohnsen 90). Subs not used: Stockdale, Gera, Kakuta, Greening. Booked: Murphy, Baird. Goals: Johnson 52, Dempsey 78.

Att: 35,899

Ref: Lee Mason (Lancashire).

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/06/steven-gerrard-england-denmark?INTCMP=SRCH

Steven Gerrard withdraws from England squad with a groin strain

• West Ham keeper Robert Green set for England return

• Aston Villa's Kyle Walker expected to make debut in friendly

Kevin McCarra guardian.co.uk, Sunday 6 February 2011 23.53

Steven Gerrard will miss England's friendly against Denmark having picked up an injury against Chelsea. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA

England have been hit by a series of withdrawals from the squad for Wednesday's friendly with Denmark in Copenhagen.Steven Gerrard aggravated a groin strain while Liverpool were winning at Chelsea. Peter Crouch and Ben Foster have also left Fabio Capello's squad with injuries and are going back, respectively, to Tottenham Hotspur and Birmingham City.

Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor has been excused for personal reasons. Replacements are being arranged. It is anticipated that Carlton Cole of West Ham will take Crouch's place, with Robert Green filling the goalkeeper vacancy created by Foster. Green was dropped after a bad error allowed the USA an equaliser at the World Cup.

The West Ham goalkeeper has not been capped since. When the original party for the Denmark friendly was drawn up, Green seemed to have lost out to the uncapped David Stockdale, of Fulham, but he had been told that this was simply because the friendly was intended for experimentation.

Capello must be rueful about Gerrard. The midfielder might have captained the side in Copenhagen since Rio Ferdinand, who ought to be wearing the armband, collected a calf strain in the warm-up at Molineux before Manchester United's defeat by Wolves on Saturday. It could be Chelsea's Frank Lampard who leads out the national team on Wednesday.

Gerrard's case is eye-catching. In the last England friendly, against France in November, Capello did not stand by an agreement that relatively light use would be made of the player. Gerrard was on the field for 85 minutes and picked up a hamstring injury that infuriated Liverpool, who lost his services for six weeks.

All the same, yesterday's withdrawal did not have an air of reprisal. The match at Stamford Bridge was gruelling if dull and could well have taken its toll of Gerrard. If Capello has been deprived of a key figure, he can still count himself comparatively fortunate that a reasonably strong team will still be available. A debut for Kyle Walker, a full-back on loan to Aston Villa from Tottenham Hotspur, also looks likely at some point in the friendly.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/07/aston-villa-fulham-premier-league

Aston Villa's Kyle Walker gives a burst of his England quality

• Houllier: 'Modern full-backs need to be good footballers'

• Andrew Johnson's return to form delights Fulham

Share   Guardian report
Observer report

Aston Villa 2 Paintsil (og) 13, Walker 72
Fulham 2 Johnson, A 52, Dempsey 78

Barney Ronay at Villa Park The Guardian, Monday 7 February 2011 Article history

Kyle Walker celebrates his first Premier League goal surrounded by his Aston Villa team-mates. Photograph: Neville Williams/Aston Villa FC via Getty Images

For Kyle Walker – still only 20 and still technically a Spurs player – the past month has been a period of bends-inducing career ascent. On Saturday he received his first call-up to the senior England squad, having earlier in the day scored his first Premier League goal while continuing to forge an energetic partnership with Stewart Downing on Aston Villa's right flank that was the high point of a fitful and at times lethargic draw.

"He [Walker] showed some international quality today," Gérard Houllier said of the right-back he brought in on loan at the start of the winter window and who had previously formed part of the best defence in the Championship at Queens Park Rangers. "He's fast, he can burst forward. He can defend and his use of the ball is good. The full-backs in modern football have a lot of the ball, so they need to be good footballers. We like to burst forward very quickly and he's tremendously good at that."

Villa's ability to counter-attack at speed brought the opening goal after 13 minutes, and for a while, produced the best football of the match in a misleadingly purposeful opening period. Downing, the outstanding player on the pitch, created the goal with the game's most memorable moment of skill, a dinked right-wing cross on the run with the outside of his left foot that panicked John Pantsil into heading past his own goalkeeper from four yards. It was Pantsil's third own goal of the season and his second on this ground in successive seasons. Clearly disturbed, he was substituted just after half‑time.

Downing is one of four other Villa players also in Fabio Capello's squad (Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and Darren Bent are the others) and here he was full of menacing running, showcasing his ability to cross accurately with either foot from the right wing.

"Since I've been here he's been phenomenal," Houllier said of a player who looks fitter and stronger than in previous seasons. "In terms of intelligence, he reads the game well, he plays the position well. Fabio Capello has been to see a lot of our games so he must know him well."

This was a match of few clear chances and little sustained attacking in which all four goals seemed to come out of the blue. A major plus for Fulham was the fine display of Andrew Johnson, who scored the equaliser seven minutes into the second half, stooping to head in a difficult bouncing ball after Brad Friedel could only parry Steve Sidwell's shot from 20 yards.

"It was a really good finish. He knew what he had to do to put the ball in the net," Mark Hughes said of a striker who is still finding his match fitness after nine months out with various injuries.

"He [Johnson] has been really splendid for the team and everybody's delighted for him because of what he's been through. He got a little bit of stick from the crowd today [as a former Birmingham player] and it's always nice to have a bit of a response to that. He was in the England squad prior to those injuries and who's to say he can't get back in if he progresses the way he has."

Johnson will be happy, for now, simply to complete a few more matches but there was a broad hint of Walker's own international claims in the goal that put Villa back in the lead. Picking the ball up in central midfield the full-back dropped his shoulder to skip away from Danny Murphy, advanced into space that might have been closed down and shot low and hard into the corner past the unsighted Friedel.

Clint Dempsey's headed equaliser from a corner, his tenth goal of the season, rather spoilt the moment but a point apiece was a fair result for two teams who continue to hover alarmingly close to the relegation places.

White Noise

Hughes backs striker Johnson for England spot after his return to fitness

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:12 AM on 7th February 2011

Mark Hughes has spelt out his desire to keep hold of fit-again Fulham striker Andrew Johnson and challenged him to regain his England spot.

The 29-year-old has been dogged by injury problems since moving to the Cottagers two and a half years ago.

But he is showing signs of being back to his best and produced a typical sharp finish in yesterday's 2-2 draw at Aston Villa.

Handy Andy: Johnson (left) celebrates with Damien Duff after scoring at Villa Park

Johnson has only 18 months to run of his current contract but Hughes is keen to retain his services.

Hughes said: 'We're starting to see the best of Andy Johnson now. He had a significant injury and he's been out for a considerable length of time.

'In fairness to him, he's played a number of games now and his performance levels have been good.

'All that's been lacking have been goals. Now thankfully he's added goals. He's in good shape at the moment.

'He looks strong. He's completing games at the right intensity and he's not fading out of games, which you would expect with the length of time that he's been out.
'He's been really splendid for the team. Everybody is delighted for him because of what he has been through.'

Something to shout about: Hughes is tipping Johnson for a call-up to Capello's England squad

Hughes added: 'Andy has 18 months of his contract left. Do I want to keep him? Yes, absolutely.

'He's missed a lot of football and we're hopeful now that he'll have a run of games and his career will progress without injury.

'He was in the England squad prior to his injury problems. Who's to say that, if he keeps himself fit, he can't get himself back into those squads?

'He has recovered so strongly because he is a mentally strong guy.

'He's had disappointments because he's come back a little bit too soon because he's just keen to play.

'I think he's learned from that and he understands his body now.'

On the mend: Zamora (left) could soon be back for Fulham

Johnson's fellow striker Bobby Zamora is also edging closer to fitness after his long-term lay-off with a broken leg.

Hughes said: 'Bobby is training with the first-team squad now. I'd imagine that it will be two or three weeks before he's fit enough to be considered.

'But he is on track and doing well. We'll look to put games into him.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1354429/Mark-Hughes-backs-striker-Andy-Johnson-England-spot-return-fitness.html#ixzz1DGYvLEMp

White Noise

Hart break for Capello

The steady undermining of Fabio Capello by his employers at the Football Association is beginning to have effect. Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart is in poor form right now and Capello duly noted this in the build-up to Wednesday' s match in Denmark, reminding him of the need for concentration.

Time was, a mild admonishment from the stern-faced England manager would have been silently heeded. Not any more.

Since the World Cup, FA drones have been blabbing on and off the record that Capello is just marking time. Now everybody knows he is out after the 2012 European Championship, or sooner, to be replaced by an Englishman, weakening his stature considerably.

Brush off: Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart dismissed Fabio Capello's recent comments on his form

Even Sir Alex Ferguson thought his standing in the dressing room at Manchester United diminished when the players believed he was leaving at the end of the 2001-02 season. So where a word from Capello would once have brought a player to attention, now Hart feels empowered to mockingly brush him off, because he will not be around much longer.

'It is quite frustrating to hear,' said Hart. 'What else could I be considered to be concentrating on? It is not as if there is a movie going on in the background or you are doing your homework and a fly comes in the room and you go after it. There is a ball. That is it.'

For this outbreak of insolence, Capello - whose options in Hart's position are so deep he has selected Fulham reserve goalkeeper David Stockdale, who has featured in seven Premier League matches all season - can thank those inside the FA who have stealthily chipped away at his reputation since the summer.

And no doubt he does: off the record, of course.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1354300/Martin-Samuel-Footballs-hate-mob-learn-rugby.html#ixzz1DGbApXUv

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/northern-ireland/6734626/Seven-pull-out-of-N-Ireland-squad

Seven pull out of N Ireland squad

Monday 7th February 2011 8:13

Hughes: Skipper pulls out

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington has been hit by a raft of withdrawals ahead of the Carling Nations Cup match against Scotland.

Seven players from Worthington's original squad have pulled out ahead of Wednesday's game in Dublin, including captain Aaron Hughes. The Fulham defender has back and hamstring injuries.

Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty is being checked out for glandular fever, according to the Irish Football Association, following the 2-2 draw with Celtic yesterday, and also misses out.

Chris Brunt, meanwhile, suffered an ankle injury in West Brom's defeat by Manchester City and like Lafferty has not travelled.

Craig Cathcart, Sammy Clingan and Johnny Gorman as well as goalkeeper Maik Taylor will also be absent.

Worthington has called up the Watford pair of Adam Thompson and Lee Hodson, along with Manchester United's Oliver Norwood and Aberdeen's Rory McArdle.

White Noise

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/02/07/aston-villa-2-fulham-2-mat-kendrick-s-big-match-verdict-97319-28127009/

Aston Villa 2 Fulham 2: Mat Kendrick's big match verdict

Feb 7 2011

THERE were giveaways galore at Villa Park on Saturday.

From the family funday ticket offers, to another John Pantsil own-goal to Brad Friedel's handouts, there was more generosity than when Randy Lerner opened his chequebook last month.

There was a range of benefactors, but Fulham were the clear beneficiaries again in this fixture. The clubs share the same sponsor – FxPro – and there's seemingly an unwritten agreement to share the points, too, with Villa gifting the Cottagers another draw.

If Gerard Houllier's team are all give, give, give, then Mark Hughes' men are all take, take, take – apart from Pantsil, that is. Villa didn't throw away a four-goal lead like Arsenal in their dramatic capitulation at Newcastle but they have now thrown away four points against Fulham this term.

That's a hefty 16 points dropped from winning positions this season. Instead of 14th on 29 points, Villa would be challenging for fourth with 45 points if they had held on to all of their leads.

Never mind Randy's record £18-24 million outlay on Darren Bent, the claret and blues' habit of shooting themselves in the foot is proving much more costly.

Villa claimed Fulham's last-gasp leveller at the Cottage in November still rankles. It clearly didn't rankle enough to prevent yet another wasted opportunity, which was all the more annoying after the visitors gave them a head start.

Pantsil pioneered the spirit of giving by haplessly heading Villa in front with an own-goal on 13 minutes – to add to the one he nodded into the same North Stand net last season. In his defence, it was a delicious delivery from Stewart Downing, on the right with the outside of his left boot, which forced his third o.g. of the season.

While we're on the subject of giving, Downing's detractors should give the gifted winger a break.

He splits opinion as often as defences, but to dwell on his tackling deficiencies is to ignore the attacking qualities which have earned him a deserved England recall alongside fellow Villans, Ashley Young, Gabby Agbonlahor, Kyle Walker and Bent.

Indeed, Bent should have had his third Villa goal when he was dubiously flagged offside when he netted before Pantsil's opener.

It came when he reacted quickly to turn in the loose ball, after Downing cut in from the right and unleashed a shot which Cottagers keeper Mark Schwarzer was unable to hold.

That sparked a series of nearly-but-not-quites for Bent, whose Villa strike-rate is almost as good as Pantsil's, and who is set to partner Wayne Rooney in Wednesday's friendly in Denmark.

The near-misses summed up the lack of ruthlessness in the final third, that Houllier rued, with Ciaran Clark's shocking headed sitter from another Downing cross the main one that got away.

Worryingly, from Villa's viewpoint, is that the man who has made vital savings for the team, if not himself recently, Brad Friedel, quite literally dropped the points at the other end.

Although Friedel is on the brink of being declared bankrupt following the failure of a soccer academy back home in America, he surely has enough credit in his Villa account to be forgiven Saturday's blunders.

On 52 minutes Fulham found their way back into the game via Friedel's fumbles and Villa's familiar friends and foes – Steve Sidwell and Andy Johnson.

Sidwell was overshadowed by midfield maestro Jean Makoun when it came to class, but the Villa old boy boasts energetic attacking intent and when his strike from the edge of the box was spilled by Friedel, Blues' old boy Johnson gleefully nodded in the rebound.

Encouraged by a sizeable 35,899 crowd, Villa rallied and were rewarded with a changing-of-the-guard moment as Walker fired them back in front on 72 minutes. With no disrespect to Stiliyan Petrov, it was a telling moment when the jeers which greeted the captain's cautious ball to Walker were replaced with cheers as the right-back boldly burst forward from halfway and drilled in a low shot from 25 yards.

Yet the gifts continued when Friedel flapped at Danny Murphy's 78th-minute corner and the keeper's US compatriot, Clint Dempsey, headed in an equaliser, although he did thwart Johnson late on to preserve a point. However, the giveaways were not restricted to the goals. Petrov's growing frustration gives away Houllier's challenge to find the best central partner for masterful Makoun, with American midfielder Michael Bradley next in line following his pre-match introduction to the crowd.

Young and Agbonlahor's below-par performances give away the manager's need to consider restoring Villa's underachieving attackers to their rightful roles.

Walker's Premier class gives away the task Villa face holding on to the Spurs loanee beyond this season, especially following his England elevation.

And another two goals conceded gives away the growing clamour for Carlos Cuellar to return to central defence.

Houllier needs to sort out the giveaways before Villa's mini-revival unforgivably gives way to another period of struggle.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/InternationalPreview.aspx?

Fulham Internationals

David Stockdale's call-up to Fabio Capello's England squad on Saturday night has grabbed the headlines over the past few days, with the keeper's consistently outstanding form during the month of January rewarded with a first international call-up.

Fulham fans will be hoping to see Stockdale in action on Wednesday night in Copenhagen but there are also a number of other international matches to keep an eye out for over the coming days.

The action kicks-off on Tuesday night when Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly are likely to feature for the Republic of Ireland against Wales in Dublin.

Also on Tuesday youngsters Neil Etheridge and Gael Kakuta will be in action for the Phillipines and France (U21) respectively.

Then, on Wednesday night, there are a further nine international matches that could potentially feature Fulham players, including, of course, David Stockdale.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/InternationalPreview.aspx?#ixzz1DHQkF8Xu

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/AJPraise.aspx?

Back To His Best

Mark Hughes believes Andrew Johnson is now back to his best following his return from an injury plagued 14 months.

The striker was once again a menace to the opposition's defence last weekend and his efforts were rewarded at Villa Park, with his second goal in four games.

Fulham's Manager is clearly pleased for Johnson, who is producing the form that once earned him international recognition with England.

"He had a significant injury and he's been out for a considerable length of time," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He has been playing well, and all that was missing from his performances were goals, but now thankfully he's adding goals.

"He's in good shape, he looks strong and he's completing games – which is important for him. He's in splendid form and everyone is delighted for him after everything he has been through. We're starting to see the best of him.

"He's missed a lot of football and we're hopeful now that he'll have a run of games and his career will progress without injury. He was in the England squad prior to his injury problems. Who is to say that if he keeps himself fit he can't get himself back into those squads?"

The New Year has seen Hughes' hand strengthened by the return of Johnson and Mousa Dembele and Fulham fans can expect a strong Spring offensive as a certain Bobby Zamora gets closer to full fitness.

"We have a lot of options in that area of the pitch now," said Hughes. "That was one of the reasons why things weren't perhaps going too well for us at one point. But we have players back, and if you look at the strength that we had on the bench on Saturday it shows that this Club is in a healthy position.

"Bobby Zamora is training with the First Team squad again now, although I think it will be two or three weeks before he can be properly considered. But he's certainly on track, which is pleasing for us all."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/AJPraise.aspx?#ixzz1DHR4po4S

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/DempseyChelseaPreview.aspx

Top Ten

Clint Dempsey's headed equaliser against Aston Villa on Saturday took his tally to 10 goals this season and the US international star was evidently delighted to have earned Fulham a point following another away performance full of character and resilience.   

"It's the first time I've got into double digits since I've been over here," Dempsey told fulhamfc.com. "I've come close a few times and it's good to better myself each season. It's good to finally get into that number of goals and hopefully I can push on and finish the season strong.

"It was a tough game on Saturday but it's always tough at Villa Park. They've got a lot of players with pace and you have to work hard defensively but I thought the game opened up in the second half.

"We showed a lot of character to come from behind twice to get a point and I think our position is looking better now. Hopefully we can continue this run of form and finish the season strongly and build for next year."

Following this week's international matches, Dempsey and company return to action on Monday for arguably the most highly anticipated match of the season, when Fulham take on Chelsea at Craven Cottage.

Mark Hughes' side are evidently full of confidence at the moment and Dempsey believes if Fulham can produce their top form on Valentine's Day, the points are there to be won. 

"We're confident in our play - we've got players returning to full fitness and there's good competition for spots," Dempsey explained. "I think we're going to push on and our mindset is to be looking up and not down the table.

"Hopefully we can get something out of the game against Chelsea and we'll do our best. We'll go out there and work hard – we know if we play to our best we're capable of getting points."

Tickets are selling fast for Fulham's Valentine's Day derby match against Chelsea at Craven Cottage (KO 8pm). Secure your seat now and don't miss out on this SW6 derby under floodlights.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/DempseyChelseaPreview.aspx#ixzz1DHRN749k

HatterDon

Quote from: White Noise on February 07, 2011, 07:09:38 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/06/steven-gerrard-england-denmark?INTCMP=SRCH

Steven Gerrard withdraws from England squad with a groin strain

"Hopefully, his own." -- Keith Olbermann, back when he was still doing Sports Center on ESPN.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

http://astonvillacentral.com/2011/02/passing-wheel-analysis-makoun-petrov-vs-murphy-sidwell/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+astonvillacentral+%28Aston+Villa+Central%29

Passing Wheel Analysis: Makoun & Petrov vs Murphy & Sidwell

Jean Makoun picked up the Man of the Match award against Fulham and has rightly won the plaudits from most quarters. But not everyone is impressed.

It's true that his tackling isn't the greatest just yet, but his passing is exemplary; he was the leading passer on the pitch against bother Man Utd and Fulham.

But the devil is always in the detail, passing numbers alone can distort the true picture. For instance, lots and lots of backwards and sideways passes can't be held as valuable as "key" passes made forwards, can they?

I decided to analyse the direction of Makoun's passing against Fulham in comparison with the other three central midfielders that day; Stiliyan Petrov, Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell.

I've used the Opta provided passing data from The Guardian's Chalkboards and replotted every open play pass & cross onto a new "Passing Wheel" graphic; all passes originating from the same central point.

You can click on the graphics below to enlargen and then use the right and left arrows in the modal window to navigate through each player.

What should be quite clear is that Makoun certainly did not rack up high passing numbers simply by making lots of short sideways and backwards passes, there is an impressive range of passes in his wheel.

It should be noted that Makoun had the longest completed forward pass; a superbly played ball into space on the right for Stewart Downing. Exactly the type of ball I talked about him playing when I described his ability to play a quarterback style role, distributing the ball to the corners from a deep position.

The Passing Wheel graphics are split into eight sectors, but I've taken the completed passes and analysed where they fell based on four key sectors since each individual sector has a mirror image, as shown in the table below.

As you can see for youself, Makoun delivered more passes into sector 1 than any other player and far more passes into sectors 1 and 2 combined than the other three. (Makoun 42, Petrov 24, Murphy 35, Sidwell 20).

He made a few more backward passes (19) than Murphy (15) and Sidwell (17), but far less than Petrov (25). Quite how anyone could think that Petrov had a better game than Makoun is quite beyond me, but there are a few out there apparently.

Makoun's played in three games, although he didn't manage the full 90 on his debut after picking up a knock fairly early on. For me, he was the best player on the pitch in the last two games and he's settled in remarkably well.

There are signs that the players around him aren't always on the same page, they're not used to playing with someone who is able to play so many first time passes. But think about how this side will play when they are all on the same wavelength, Makoun in the centre pulling the creative strings.