more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lineup for D.C United & Match Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, July 26, 2014, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisfitKid

Quote from: TrexFFC on July 27, 2014, 12:44:00 AM
This guy's random screams every time there is a chance...Embarrassed to be an American right now.

+152
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

MisfitKid

akf

did he just say that the ref BLEW UP at the end?

RidgeRider

3-0 FT Good match for Dembele, David, Hyndman, Burgess and Hutchinson

RidgeRider

I think he just pronounced North Florida as Narf Florida  :022:

akf

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: fulhamben on July 27, 2014, 12:46:54 AM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on July 27, 2014, 12:43:21 AM
FFS all I'm getting is someone talking about American Football.
go to stream thread. theres a non offal link that WOOORKS

I am, got a couple of minutes then in comes "Coach Rick" to waffle on. Every time I go back to the offal he's there. Really piss poor service from the club

MisfitKid

Gotta go.  Carrie is coming on now... :008:

TrexFFC

Yeah having an opinion makes me a snob.  fp.gif

Lighthouse

Enjoyable to listen to despite the differences. Good result and a good workout. No doubt we will hear all about the fact that DC United had a reserve side playing. But nevertheless enjoyable.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Bronsons

I don't think it's snobbish (not snobby... sorry that correction was maybe snobbish... sorry snobby... where was I?) - I don't think it's snobbish to say that a commentator's mannerism gets on your nerves, if it gets on your nerves. The random shouting gets on my nerves.

FWIW the rest of it wasn't too bad. The mispronunciations don't bother me - I doubt Gentleman Jim's pronunciation of Greek surnames is more accurate - but the thing about SUDDENLY GOING ALL loud is just pants. IMHO.

..Kya.ffc..

Certainty a DIFFERENT style but I had a GREAT laugh.

And we even got a bonus, as Moussa Dembélé now have a somewhat odd but great new nickname.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

RidgeRider

Quote from: The Bronsons on July 27, 2014, 12:55:28 AM
I don't think it's snobbish (not snobby... sorry that correction was maybe snobbish... sorry snobby... where was I?) - I don't think it's snobbish to say that a commentator's mannerism gets on your nerves, if it gets on your nerves. The random shouting gets on my nerves.

FWIW the rest of it wasn't too bad. The mispronunciations don't bother me - I doubt Gentleman Jim's pronunciation of Greek surnames is more accurate - but the thing about SUDDENLY GOING ALL loud is just pants. IMHO.

That is how many or our announcers over here announce though, so its not (for us anyway) out of the ordinary at all, in fact it is very common. So, I wasn't calling the English listeners snobbish. It's a style difference from what we hear regularly, compared to what we are used to listening to GJ or the lineup of English/Scottish commentators that do the premier league matches. Maybe snobbish is too harsh but....that's how I viewed it.

Big Martin Jol

Solid performance and a good result. Well done boys.

Thirteen days to go!
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Lighthouse

I don't see the point of having loads of posts saying  how poor the commentators were. I don't see why it was embarrassing. Terms were different and the style was different to what Brits are used to. But Gentleman Jim has some odd idiosyncrasies as well.

Sorry if people didn't enjoy it. I had fun listening and had no problem with the link via the OFFAL. Even when timed out it was easy to get onto the live commentary.  

Lighthouse

Offal

Moussa Dembélé hit a hat-trick as the Whites completed a good work-out to defeat D.C. United at the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, EverBank Field.

Dembélé's exquisite finish started the ball rolling on 22 minutes, after Chris David's pin-point pass opened up the D.C. defence, and the Washington outfit were punished further when Dembélé struck again on the stroke of half-time.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, the French striker added a composed finish to wrap up a convincing victory, while moving another 90 minutes closer towards match fitness.

The Whites walked out to the sound of London Calling, before lining-up alongside D.C. United and observing the United States national anthem.

Starting off with a midfield diamond, with David supporting the forward duo and Tim Hoogland at the base, the Whites took time to settle with the MLS outfit enjoying good possession but failing to trouble our back-line.

There were warning signs for United when Rodallega's turn of pace drew a free-kick from Conor Shanosky and David stepped up to curled the ball over the wall and back off the post.

The American side threatened from wide areas, with Conor Doyle heading wide on 18 minutes, but three minutes later a defensive lapse was punished by Dembélé after David's precision pass cut through the middle of the back-line.

It could have been two when Hyndman's drilled effort whistled fractionally wide on 39 minutes after Collin Martin only half-cleared Kay Voser's whipped cross, before Jesse Joronen was forced into action on the break, making a double save from Michael Seaton and then Doyle on the rebound.

On the stroke of half-time, Dembélé's doubled his tally, taking advantage of Boswell's sliced clearance from Konstantinos Stafylidis' cross to fire in from six yards.

Patrick Roberts joined the action in place of Ryan Williams at half-time, as the Whites aimed to build on a solid first-half but they were almost undone when Seaton's far-post header cleared the crossbar.

Smart skills from David opened up space for Kay Voser to cut inside and shoot but his left-foot effort never troubled sub goalkeeper Bill Hamid's goal.

D.C. continued to move the ball well and Stafylidis and Cameron Burgess were called into action to make good blocks, but Seaton was left open to head the ball across goal and wide of Joronen's post.

And Dembélé ensured he had the final word, calmly rolling the ball into the corner of the D.C. United goal after being afforded acres of space to complete his treble.

EJL

094.gifWent to the game with my dad, and I can honestly say that it was the most bizarre sporting experience of my life. There were only a couple of Fulham fans within 50 metres of us due to being relocated to a completely different area to our original ticket. 99% of the spectators spent almost the entire match doing anything BUT watch the match. They can't have all been there for Carrie Underwood, so what on earth were they doing in the bloody stadium?

VamosFFC

Quote from: EJL on July 27, 2014, 03:11:35 AM
094.gifWent to the game with my dad, and I can honestly say that it was the most bizarre sporting experience of my life. There were only a couple of Fulham fans within 50 metres of us due to being relocated to a completely different area to our original ticket. 99% of the spectators spent almost the entire match doing anything BUT watch the match. They can't have all been there for Carrie Underwood, so what on earth were they doing in the bloody stadium?

EJL, I'd have to agree. I only saw a handful of Fulham jerseys in the crowd and I think I was the only one who stood up around me and cheered when Dembele scored his first.

Snibbo

Quote from: EJL on July 27, 2014, 03:11:35 AM
Sounds like a typical Saturday afternoon at the Emirates.

RaySmith

I enjoyed the match and commentary-I liked the warmth and enthusiasm of the commentators.

But it was a one off, in a unique, and unpressurised game, and of course I will be glad to get back to the familiarity of GJ to lead me through the undoubted stress, pain, and, hopefully, at least some triumph, of the League season.

Well done Fulham, and thanks to the club for enabling uis to hear the game.