watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How many English players play abroad?

Started by WhiteJC, June 28, 2010, 12:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

are there any English players in Italy, Germany or Spain? if our "golden generation" are so good why aren't more (some) of them playing abroad?

AmericanJames

I can't answer to how many are playing abroad, but you would think the reason more of them aren't playing abroad is that the EPL is such a strong league that there is no reason to leave home to ply their trade abroad. Realistically with the wages available at home why uproot and move away from family and friends when you dont have to?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

WhiteJC

Quote from: AmericanJames on June 28, 2010, 01:38:15 PM
I can't answer to how many are playing abroad, but you would think the reason more of them aren't playing abroad is that the EPL is such a strong league that there is no reason to leave home to ply their trade abroad. Realistically with the wages available at home why uproot and move away from family and friends when you dont have to?

...because, if the Premier League is the "best in the world" then you would expect it to draw the "best players", therefore some of the "next to best" would play in the "next to best" leagues.

I don't think the Championship is a better league than the German, Italian or Spanish leagues, otherwise the English players would be "the best in the world", I suggest their not

CorkedHat

Robbie Fowler plays for the Perth Glory in Australia  :011: :011: :011:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

OldBrownShoe

I suspect this quote from Ian Rush has been used before but perhaps it is typical of British footballers attitudes/education etc. "I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."  I have seen the following quote attributed to him too: "Moving from Wales to Italy is like moving to a different country."

Way back there were a few players who did very well abroad eg the legendary John Charles and Gerry Hitchens, but if I have remembered correctly Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law surprisingly didn't. Ray Wilkins, David Platt and Trevor Francis seemed to do ok.  But as for our so called "Golden generation" I think they have been found out for the second raters they are. Golden?
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quite a few play for welsh and Scottish teams and the odd has been has been known to go to MLS...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on June 28, 2010, 04:25:19 PM
Quite a few play for welsh and Scottish teams and the odd has been has been known to go to MLS...

Therein lies the problem, they are not playing in the top leagues in Europe.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 28, 2010, 12:22:58 PM
are there any English players in Italy, Germany or Spain? if our "golden generation" are so good why aren't more (some) of them playing abroad?

Because the Barclays Premier League is widely recognised as the Best League in the World.

I can only say that the people in France, Spain, Germany and Italy are jealous of the EPL and that they admire the league AND the fact that England (especially the National team) has a strong domestic influence. It's always the old, traditional, very british story of the "Motherland of Football".

I have to admit that this is exactly the point why I love the english football and - to be honest - I don't want that to change!

I like the fact that guys like Rooney, Gerrard oder Lampard are plying their trades in the domestic league, were they are competing with the best.

finnster01

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on June 28, 2010, 03:29:52 PM
I suspect this quote from Ian Rush has been used before but perhaps it is typical of British footballers attitudes/education etc. "I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."  I have seen the following quote attributed to him too: "Moving from Wales to Italy is like moving to a different country."

Way back there were a few players who did very well abroad eg the legendary John Charles and Gerry Hitchens, but if I have remembered correctly Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law surprisingly didn't. Ray Wilkins, David Platt and Trevor Francis seemed to do ok.  But as for our so called "Golden generation" I think they have been found out for the second raters they are. Golden?

Exactly Mr OBS,
Nail on the head there. More like the "fools gold" generation. Money and media killed them.

On the (very) short list of English players that did OK abroad you can add Gary Lineker as well (at least in his early days at Barcelona)

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

fulhamguy

Gareth Southgate actually made a pretty good point on the footy this evening.

If the Premier League is 'the best league in the world', why do the top teams at the World Cup have so few players from the league?

Spain - Torres, Fabregas (doesn't play)
Brazil - Robinho (only just)
Germany - None
Italy - None
Argentina - Tevez, Gutierrez, Mascherano
COYW!

OldBrownShoe

And at least four of those have been "linked" with moves abroad. Two of the moves appear not to have been done because of very high asking price by the 'selling' club.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Vinnieffc

None of them play abroad, particularly in South Africa.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Vinnieffc on June 29, 2010, 10:13:28 AM
None of them play abroad, particularly in South Africa.

you've just made me spill my tea  :sir_roy:  :clap_hands:

mrska

We've still got Referee Howard Webb and his team out there..  i must say ive been very impressed with him so far..

FatFreddysCat

McBridefan1

Kinda like asking why american Basketball players aren't playing in Italy or Greece... or top Baseball players playing in Japan. English players get more money when they play in England so why would they leave? Beckham played most of his career outside of England, but that was so he could market himself and make himself a world wide commodity.

Kiwi Fulham Fan

Neil Emblen ex Palace and Wolves player now here in NZ

Question should be, should there now be a cap on Foregin players in the EPL?

WhiteJC

Quote from: McBridefan1 on June 30, 2010, 12:52:54 AM

Kinda like asking why american Basketball players aren't playing in Italy or Greece... or top Baseball players playing in Japan. English players get more money when they play in England so why would they leave? Beckham played most of his career outside of England, but that was so he could market himself and make himself a world wide commodity.

my point is that if English players are so good, then they would get paid to play in other leagues.

I think you'll find that Beckham played a good part (most?) of his career for Man Utd

Logicalman

I would argue with the analogy there McB. In reality, the US is the home of basketball and where all the top stars are .... er. OK then, I agree. Duh

I guess the only real difference is that those same American Basketball players are likely some of the cream of the basketball world, unfortunately you cannot say the same for the England Team footballers (sour cream, perhaps).

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on June 30, 2010, 09:46:15 AM

I would argue with the analogy there McB. In reality, the US is the home of basketball and where all the top stars are .... er. OK then, I agree. Duh

I guess the only real difference is that those same American Basketball players are likely some of the cream of the basketball world, unfortunately you cannot say the same for the England Team footballers (sour cream, perhaps).
Mr Logicalman,
You are giving the English players far too much credit. Sour Creme? More like spoiled milk if you ask me. Sour cream is edible and enjoyable, especially in conjunction with mexican food and a good fahita, non of which is applicable to that dull and overpaid lot with no pride of their country. We should deport the lot to France and they can all find new like-minded friends and bond together

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead