https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Jol set to be named Fulham boss in the next 48 hours

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, July 15, 2010, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Tktd on July 16, 2010, 12:25:44 AM

Jols Record at Tottenham

Played  Won   Drew  Lost   Win %
Tottenham Hotspur  5 November 2004 25 October 2007     148     67     38      43     45.27

I'd personally be dissapointed given who else has been up for the job if Jol got it. Hughesy, Eriksson and Hitzfeld were all preferred options for me and I am not at all enamoured with Jol. Yes he got Tottenham to 5th two seasons running but even in those two seasons there were signs of struggling and also the need for financial investment.

In Hitzfeld, Erikkson and Hughes I saw grounded managers who were ambitious / respected and dealt very well (in comparison to most) int he transfer market. Eriksson and Hitzfeld had also accomplished a lot in their managerial careers which excited me as it proved they had the nous and experience to achieve winning results - which having got to the Europa League final is what I was hoping we'd progress to.

Jol for me is a bit too unambitious for me. He's been in England - never set the world alight and needed funds to buy players he could work with. There were periods of unrest in the Totteham camp too when he was around and you don't get fired from your job like he did for no reason. I'd be ever so slightly gutted if he came basically!  :dft006:

I am sorry, but Martin Jol is a much better manager than Hughes. Hitzfeld is obviously the best manager, and Sven has won a lot previously but I would be delighted if Jol came.

He got fired because the Tottenham board were unhappy that they didnt break into the top 4, even though they finished 5th in consecutive seasons incl. the dodgny lasagne season. They were undermining him and when he left there was uproar from both the fans and the players. Remember, after he left Ramos came in and nearly got the club relegated! He did not have the astronomical budget that Harry Redknapp has had so had to be more creative with his signings. I think you need to get your facts straight.

As for not setting the premiership alight, anyone who has done that surely would be unavailable to Fulham?

blingo

I too would be happy with MJ. He, like RH, has a point to prove in the premiership (spurs treated him abysmally) and if he is to be our manager, I think that MAF has pulled another goody out of the hat.

ron

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 15, 2010, 11:51:50 PM
I give you, Martin Jol....

If he does come, I think you just coined his nickname there Mr E......

Let's hope that if he does come, he is an "Awayer" as well...........We need more points on the road.....

RidgeRider

I know this is a lot to ask, but would someone do a summary of Jol the manager? Style? strengths? weaknesses? Ability to attract players?

Reason I ask is I know nothing. I had heard of him but Ramos was coaching the Spurs and Sanchez the Whites when I started watching this league with interest. Thanks in advance.

os5889

Quote from: RidgeRider on July 16, 2010, 01:22:45 PM
I know this is a lot to ask, but would someone do a summary of Jol the manager? Style? strengths? weaknesses? Ability to attract players?

Reason I ask is I know nothing. I had heard of him but Ramos was coaching the Spurs and Sanchez the Whites when I started watching this league with interest. Thanks in advance.

His middle name is Cornelius!

BestOfBrede

Quote from: White Noise on July 15, 2010, 07:13:50 PM
I think Martin Jol is an appointment we can all get behind.

He is the wryest of managers, humble - shy almost, loved by the ladies, respected by his players and fellow coaches and much missed by Mrs Noise who can now enjoy my Martin Jol impressions again on a regular basis.

He also looked funnier with hair than without and can put out fires with his nose -

"I think Martin Jol is an appointment we can all get behind".

I think it would be a bl**dy good idea to get behind him, I wouldn't fancy being in front of him and taking any chances of a blast from that nose!!

Brede Butter Pudding

BBC reckons it's between Jol and Sven, I'd far rather have Jol.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/16/fulham-martin-jol

Martin Jol in the frame for Fulham post

• Decision on Dutchman's future unlikely before next week

• Ajax manager was in charge at Tottenham for three years

Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Friday 16 July 2010 20.47 

Martin Jol is understood to have held talks with Fulham about the vacant managerial position at Craven Cottage, although the Dutchman is unlikely to make a decision until after the weekend.

The prospect of working in England again would appeal to Jol, who spent three years in charge of Tottenham Hotspur before he was sacked in October 2007. Later that year he was linked with the Fulham job, as a replacement for Lawrie Sanchez, but he withdrew his interest and eventually took over at Hamburg. He moved on to Ajax last season.

After the departure of Roy Hodgson to Liverpool, Fulham are keen to have a new manager in place as soon as possible. Jol is believed to be the frontrunner for the position although there are doubts about whether Fulham would be able to satisfy his financial demands as well as his ambitions. He earns about ¤3m (£2.5m) a year at Ajax and Fulham would almost certainly need to match that salary. Jol would also require assurances about the funds he would be given to improve the team.

There seems little prospect that he will be able to strengthen the Ajax squad this summer, with the Dutch club experiencing financial difficulties. Raymond van der Wiel, the Holland right-back at the World Cup, is set to join Bayern Munich for a fee in the region of ¤17m but Jol will have little of that money to spend. Other decisions about players he wishes to keep have been taken out of his hands.

Sources close to Jol, however, suggest he could still decide to stay on at Ajax and keep his options open in the hope that a more appealing job might come along. There have been rumours that an opportunity at Newcastle United, working with Chris Hughton, his former assistant at Spurs, could arise.

FatFreddysCat

I'm reasonably sure it will be Jol  :dft012: . Though i wouldn't put your house on it just yet.