watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gera Out Stories intensifying...But Gera unfazed by interest

Started by os5889, August 09, 2010, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

Erm, is using an ethnicity as a derogatory term OK these days then?

finnster01

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 09, 2010, 10:54:13 PM

I guess calling a spade a spade is not PC these days. Please feel free to call me an Anglo Saxon.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Quote from: finnster01 on August 09, 2010, 10:55:46 PM

I guess calling a spade a spade is not PC these days. Please feel free to call me an Anglo Saxon.

Calling a spade a spade would be calling something as it is.

Zoltan Gera isn't Romani, he's Hungarian; and you used the term 'Gypsy' in a derogatory context, which I don't think is "PC" if that's what the term for not being offensive is.

LRCN

that's just an agent being an agent and touting his employer, i wouldn't read too much into it. these stories started with an article on ssn which then spread like what usually happens. mind you there will be teams interested in him garunteed, considering he's not confirmed a starting space and he played real well last season. he rejected benfica and galatasary to join us remember, he's got a reputation on the continent..

finnster01

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 09, 2010, 10:59:35 PM

Zoltan Gera isn't Romani, he's Hungarian; and you used the term 'Gypsy' in a derogatory context, which I don't think is "PC" if that's what the term for not being offensive is.
So what is derogatory about being a gypsy?  Cher doesn't seem to mind. I never used it in a derogatory content. Gera could be from Milton Keynes and he still would be crap in my mind.  

Do you get upset if someone call you a limey?

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Quote from: finnster01 on August 09, 2010, 11:05:39 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 09, 2010, 10:59:35 PM

So what is derogatory about being a gypsy?  Cher doesn't seem to mind. I never used it in a derogatory content. Gera could be from Milton Keynes and he still would be crap in my mind.  

Do you get upset if someone call you a limey?

It's not an offensive term in itself, but a) he's not a Gypsy and b) you said that Gypsy which (in my opinion) has a negative tone.

I wouldn't necessarily be offended if I was called a limey - but if someone (who wasn't British) referred to me as that limey I might be. In the same way that 'black' is obviously a non-offensive term, but calling someone that black would be extremely offensive.

Anyway, given that I'm 22 year old student who reads the Guardian (and therefore offended by everything), and you're a proper adult who probably isn't, we may as well move on. Let's get down to the real business of arguing about how good Zoltan Gera is...

As timmyg's excellent article points out, prior to last season he was played on the wings, not his favoured position - explaining why he was a bit poor. Now that's moved to his preferred position supporting the striker, he's excelling. See football-line ups which shows that prior to last season ho only played on the wings.

http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/4079/Analysis/

os5889

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6304104,00.html

Gera unfazed by interest
Fulham midfielder unaware of interest in him

By Juha Pal   Last updated: 10th August 2010 

Zoltan Gera has admitted that he has heard nothing about the interest of rival teams regarding his future at Fulham.

The Hungary international has caught the attention of a number of clubs over the past few weeks as he prepares to face England in a friendly international on Wednesday night.

Premier League rivals Liverpool appear to be leading the chase for the 31-year-old former West Brom man as they seek some experienced back-up in their midfield.

Werder Bremen have also shown an interest after Gera netted an impressive 12-minute hat-trick against the German club in a pre-season friendly last Saturday.

Gera, though, says that the recent interest is news to him, telling MTI: "This is the first time I've heard about the interest of these teams for me."

Face to face

The Fulham star is looking forward to coming face to face with team-mate Bobby Zamora at Wembley.

"Bobby told me after the Werder Bremen game that he will see me at Wembley on Wednesday, though I wasn't sure at that time whether he will be included in the England squad.

"When the final squad was announced, I called him and told him that he should ask Steven Gerrard to pass him the ball and not me," joked Gera.

"We enjoy playing together as we play well together on the pitch but I'm delighted that he's finally been called up."

Jimpav

Quote from: finnster01 on August 09, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
I couldn't care less assuming we get some money for that gypsy. He is very overrated.

That's really offensive.

Gera was superb last season  :011:

os5889

Quote from: Jimpav on August 10, 2010, 01:46:12 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on August 09, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
I couldn't care less assuming we get some money for that gypsy. He is very overrated.

I think Mr Finn has said this in the same was as someone would joke at me as a welsh sheep shagger or I'd joke at an englishman being a stiff lipped boostord....

Chill pills needed for the morally righteous

Nick the Swede

Quote from: Crede15 on August 09, 2010, 04:20:27 PM
There could be truth to this but would anybody be surprised if the basis for this article was: Gera just scored an impressive hat trick, Gera used to play for Roy Hodgson, Roy Hodgson now manages Liverpool, Gera to Liverpool.

Isn't this you average run of the mill tabloid-logic?
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Lighthouse

Agent says Gera could go, Gera says he has had no contact and happy to stay.

The only insult I can think of in the thread is to call somebody Football Agent
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope