News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Johnny Foreigner allowed to play in an ENGLAND shirt - what, what..!?

Started by LBNo11, August 17, 2010, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...players born in other countries but who ply their trade in England are picked to play for the England national side at Cricket, Rugby, Athletics etc., but to date this has not happened in the 'beautiful game' of football.

It has recently come to light that as Mikel Arteta has not played for the national side of his birth, and having lived in England for five years now actually qualifies to play for England.

Other national football sides have already embraced the ruling – Eire  allows anyone who has drunk Guinness to play for them, Germany with Ozil, Podolski, Klose, Boateng are a prime example.

Would such a thing further reduce the chances of young English players getting into the England squad?

Do we steadfastly ensure that win or lose the England team has only English players?

So what do the members of this forum feel about this becoming a possibility – is it an opportunity to bolster a squad that lacks certain skills..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

SmithyFFC

To be fair to the German players, most of them qualify by birth rather than having qualfied through living in the country.

In terms of England, my opinon is that, you can only represent your country if, you have lived here ALL of your life and at least one of your parents has to.
FTID

AlFayedsChequebook

Um..Ozil was born in Germany.

If Arteta wants to play for England then I say let him, he would massively help the team.

Surely if people are happy with an foreign manager, they can deal with having a few foreign players?

Lighthouse

Have I mentioned my complete contempt for Internationals. In all sports, not just football. The French include players who were born in an Africa Country but it was under French rule in 1767 so they become  eligible. A few Irish teams have included players whose Uncles once spoke to a woman whose friend knew a bloke who may have come from somewhere near Northern Ireland.

It no longer means anything. I for one would be more than happy to see a player who is unable to speak English become the England Captain. Oh too late, it has already happened. Change the rules, pick players that actually would want to play. Our players in the World Cup have proved they have no pride for the Country. So let anybody play.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Do you want a bottle of light to go with that Bitter, Mr LH?  :008:

jarv

Kind of agree. The rules need to be tightened. Bruce Rioch (born in Aldershot) said he was Scottish through and through and would not want to play for England had he been picked.
Agbonlahor chose England (over Scotland) because he grew up there and is as English as his mates. That's fine, (not sure he will get too many caps though).
I would limit it to birth, one parent or citizenship via growing up English. (pre 16). Not sure about the grandfather thing.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Logicalman on August 17, 2010, 11:52:27 AM

I am SOOOOO misunderstood  :dft005:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 17, 2010, 01:11:10 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on August 17, 2010, 11:52:27 AM

I am SOOOOO misunderstood  :dft005:

...Oh Lord, being misunderstood must be such a Burdon.. :008:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FC Silver Fox

He's not wrong though.  Florent Malouda was born in Cayenne, Guyana. Admittedly this is a French territory(remember Papillon?). Cyrille Regis was born there too but played for England.
However, Boumsong was born in Cameroon but still plays for the French national team. Not to mention Steeeed who was born in Belgium. Peguy Lulindala was born in Zaire and plays for France (Leroy Lita was born there too but played for England U21s) ... the list goes on.

I'd be far stricter otherwise the whole question of the national side becomes more and more of a farce. I disagree with a foreign manager too.... and I'd make all the English players learn the words of the National Anthem and tell them to sing it before the game.  Does that make me a bigot and a racist? I think not.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Andy Crysell

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 17, 2010, 11:41:22 AM
Have I mentioned my complete contempt for Internationals. In all sports, not just football. The French include players who were born in an Africa Country but it was under French rule in 1767 so they become  eligible. A few Irish teams have included players whose Uncles once spoke to a woman whose friend knew a bloke who may have come from somewhere near Northern Ireland.

It no longer means anything. I for one would be more than happy to see a player who is unable to speak English become the England Captain. Oh too late, it has already happened. Change the rules, pick players that actually would want to play. Our players in the World Cup have proved they have no pride for the Country. So let anybody play.

Another top post, LH!

sipwell

The Belgian team for long has included people who weren't born in Belgium but who have played there (or lived there) a long time. I don't see why that should be a problem if they accept the (football) mentality and if they at least master the language(s) of the country they are living in. One of our strikers, De Camargo, has been born in Brazil, has played 10 years in Belgium and masters both languages fluently (and is now even picking up the third national language). I do not mind at all that he wears the shirt all Belgians should be proud of. At least they develop a connection with the country they live in.

I disagree with Germany as an example though. I can give a very lengthy (theoretical) explanation about the reason it took so long before "home born" foreigners joined the German national teams, but I won't bore you all to death ;-)

For me it is simple: is the person willing to give himself fully for his new country? Is that person adding something extra to the team? If it is positive twice, I don't see what else you can expect more.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on August 17, 2010, 01:38:27 PM
The Belgian team for long has included people who weren't born in Belgium but who have played there (or lived there) a long time. I don't see why that should be a problem if they accept the (football) mentality and if they at least master the language(s) of the country they are living in. One of our strikers, De Camargo, has been born in Brazil, has played 10 years in Belgium and masters both languages fluently (and is now even picking up the third national language). I do not mind at all that he wears the shirt all Belgians should be proud of. At least they develop a connection with the country they live in.

I disagree with Germany as an example though. I can give a very lengthy (theoretical) explanation about the reason it took so long before "home born" foreigners joined the German national teams, but I won't bore you all to death ;-)

For me it is simple: is the person willing to give himself fully for his new country? Is that person adding something extra to the team? If it is positive twice, I don't see what else you can expect more.

+1

This kind of thing has been going on for yonks anyway, the old soviet teams used to be made from loads of different countries inhabitants.

The idea of nationality is ephemeral anyway, I never understand why people get so wound up about it

jarv

Mr. Silver Fox....learn the words of the national anthem...you live in France I think!!??
OK, good idea, but it needs updating....glorious queen, gracious queen? How about massive welfare recipient queen.
Seriously, these guys and all their people in waiting, need to be pensioned off. My 88 year old mum gets about 90 quid a week. That should cover our dear old queen nicely. She can walk down the shops every day, do her good. They didn't buy all the land they own, their forefathers stole it and murdered for it. Give it back....now!
back to the footie, singing it would be ok, but you have to remove the word god to be pc.

FC Silver Fox

The French national anthem (la marseillaise) is even less PC, Jarv. It talks about the bloodied banner of tyranny, the howling of the foreign hordes coming to slit the throats of our sons and wives, and may the impure blood soak the furrows of our fields. 
I'd like to see them make a toned-down politically correct version of that too.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

HatterDon

Quote from: richardhkirkando on August 17, 2010, 01:25:41 PM
Owen Hargreaves says eh?

Good point. This is hardly a new phenomenon. Hargreaves was born in Canada of -- obviously -- Welsh parentage and had never played for an English club until after the 2006 WC [where he was England's best player IMHO]. Much earlier, England's Emlyn Hughes was the son of a Welsh international rugby player, and it was just a couple of years ago that Almunia said he wanted to play for England and -- someday -- fumble a Dempsey shot into an England goal.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jimpav

I think if you are born here (to foreign parents) then you are as English as the next man.

I do not think that citzenship should qualify you for the national side though - it just doesn't feel right - more lke cheating than anything else.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jimpav on August 17, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
I think if you are born here (to foreign parents) then you are as English as the next man.

I do not think that citzenship should qualify you for the national side though - it just doesn't feel right - more lke cheating than anything else.

Surely though if you live here long enough to qualify and want to play for the national team you see yourself as English?

I don't think you can really define nationality all that easily, if at all.

sipwell

Quote from: Jimpav on August 17, 2010, 02:41:23 PM

So basically, in that understanding: if you are born in England to...say... French parents, you have been raised in French, went to French schools and stayed half of your time (or all of it) at the Cote d'Azur but you happen to be a good footballer (I didn't want to write excellent :P), you can play for the English squad.
If you, on the other hand, were born in... say Morocco... you moved with your parents at young age to England (mummy and daddy are excellent doctors for example), went to English schools, played for English clubs, spoke English as your mother tongue or proficiently as a second language, you shouldn't be eligible for the English squad.
Or you got a scholarship to study at an English school and stayed there because basically your life was there, you shouldn't be eligible?

Seems like an odd reasoning to me personally.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

SmithyFFC

FTID