watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarzer or Stockdale?

Started by SmithyFFC, August 22, 2010, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmithyFFC

After todays performance, even if Mark is still at the club next weekend, can you really drop him for the Blackpool game? Brillant save from the pen and also made a good save from Berabtov earlier on. Personally, I'd stick with stockdale.  :54: :beer:
FTID

YankeeJim

Who is this Mark of which you speak?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Andy Crysell

Great problem for Sparky to have.

And it'd be a great talking point for us, should Schwartz stay.

Good on you, young Stockdale, you've played two blinders and speak a lot of sense.

Tom

Fulham for life!

RidgeRider

I still think Schwarzer is #1 but we have a very good backup who could start any match. I do think one thing Stockdale needs to do is 'lean up'. Part of what has allowed Schwarzer to stay playing so well at his age is he carries very little body fat. Stockdale should consider leaning up just a bit, the result will be improved reaction and increased stamina, critical to the edgy/nervy moments of the latter part of matches. He has the benefit of youth right now but some focus on body fat % would make him even better.

Admin

Unfortunately schwarzer every single time. Stockdale has had two blinders but still does NOT have regular top flight experience and will, if not next week or the weekend after drop a klanger and you'd wished Mark was still in goal. Don't get me wrong, I want the boy to do well and eventually be our number 1 but I still feel he's another 18 months to 2 years away from it. In the mean time, we still require a top class goalkeeper if we are to push on and although Mark I'd not i'n favour at the moment he still I'd world class and heads above Stockdale.

HatterDon

To paraphrase Mr. Admin, Stockdale has played a blinder in every Premier League match in which he's appeared, but he doesn't have enough Premier League experience, so we should either sit him down or loan him out to a lower league. And, yes, I realize that he'll get not a minute more of Prem experience in either case, but I want to make sure that NEXT August I can type, Stockdale may be good, but he's not really a proven entity in the Prem.

Hatter "preparing to be the barred bard, isit" Don
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SHADY1

As said MS is 100% No1 keeper and I hope thats the way it stays. But if you get your chance Stockdale has proved a capable replacement and prospect.
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Admin on August 22, 2010, 10:04:56 PM
Unfortunately schwarzer every single time. Stockdale has had two blinders but still does NOT have regular top flight experience and will, if not next week or the weekend after drop a klanger and you'd wished Mark was still in goal. Don't get me wrong, I want the boy to do well and eventually be our number 1 but I still feel he's another 18 months to 2 years away from it. In the mean time, we still require a top class goalkeeper if we are to push on and although Mark I'd not i'n favour at the moment he still I'd world class and heads above Stockdale.

Hows Stockdale supposed to get regular top flight experience by sitting on the bench watching a guy who doesn't want to be at the club? Look at Joe Hart, it was Sven I believe, who made him Citys number one when he was only about 20, 3 years of regular premier league fooball and now hes one of the best in the business.

Admittley, at some point, Stockdale will make a mistake, but thats how you get experience and improve, thats how Schwarzer became a world-class keeper, learning from mistakes. Don't get me wrong, MS is obviously the better keeper, but wouldn't it be great if, for once we gave a youngster a run in the team?
FTID

LRCN

completely 100% agree. the best thing to do is keep schwarzer for the rest of his contract and give stockdale the place next season. he looks like he'll be a very good goalie, the important thing about him is that he seems very assured (unlike warner), his handling's good and he can deal with crosses as well as making good saves, which makes me think that he really can do well. but not yet.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Lork on August 23, 2010, 02:02:02 AM

completely 100% agree. the best thing to do is keep schwarzer for the rest of his contract and give stockdale the place next season. he looks like he'll be a very good goalie, the important thing about him is that he seems very assured (unlike warner), his handling's good and he can deal with crosses as well as making good saves, which makes me think that he really can do well. but not yet.

What happens if Schwazer gets his move though??

Stick with stockdale or look for a replacement?
FTID

sipwell

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on August 22, 2010, 11:50:19 PM

Hows Stockdale supposed to get regular top flight experience by sitting on the bench watching a guy who doesn't want to be at the club? Look at Joe Hart, it was Sven I believe, who made him Citys number one when he was only about 20, 3 years of regular premier league fooball and now hes one of the best in the business.

Admittley, at some point, Stockdale will make a mistake, but thats how you get experience and improve, thats how Schwarzer became a world-class keeper, learning from mistakes. Don't get me wrong, MS is obviously the better keeper, but wouldn't it be great if, for once we gave a youngster a run in the team?

+1

How can he gain experience of Prem football if he isn't allowed to play. I have only seen match of the day but I thought he, once again, did a fine job. The first goal simply was a rocket and with all the players in the pack, he couldn't have seen it coming anyways. The second one was just bad luck (both for Hangeland and Stockdale). He saved a penalty and he saved a great kick from Berbatov at the beginning of the game. For me, he once again, kept (some) points at home. There is nothing more you can ask from a goalkeeper.

Sure Mark is better at this point, then again, he is 13 years older so he should be more experienced.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TonyGilroy

While Stockdale plays like this he shouldn't be dropped.

If Schwarzer stays he'll have to recover from his back problem but for me there'll also have to be evidence that he's still on board as a Fulham player and isn't brooding or resentful about what might have been.

My gut feeling is though that he'll go and we'll bring in a decently experienced keeper but not one who will demand a first team place.

Logicalman

Mentioned yesterday (again) was the possibility of Shay coming on loan should Mark head north.

I've said before, as far as I'm concerned, Mark can leave - I don't want a keeper that appears to be as unsettled as he is between the sticks at the crucial time - and we should get Shay in on a 6 month loan. get us safe in the Prem and at the same time give Stocky a run out with plenty of reserve action and get him primed for the latter half of the season.

Sparky can use this season to establish himself in charge (his attacking tactics against manure yesterday certainly caused the opposition problems for the whole game), and build himself a younger team. Lets be honest folks, we have in our team near pensioners in our senior players, and unlike Sol, they look like it too often, I wouldn't give Smurf another season to make the kind of howlers he did both yesterday and as we saw last season.

AlFayedsChequebook

Schwarzer remains number 1 until he leaves the club as far as I am concerned.

Yes, Stockdale needs experience but I am still unconvinced that he has what it takes to be a top class keeper. He is probably a better shot stopper than Schwarzer but in terms of controlling his area I remain unconvinced. This might come with age and more experience but from talking to a mate who is a semi-professional keeper (and has watched Stockdale) he is of the opinion that it is more down to an innate skill.

That said, I would be delighted to be proven wrong and it would be great to have an good young English keeper between the sticks for years to come.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6331128,00.html

Hughes - Schwarzer could stay

Cottagers manager casts doubt over No.1's move to Emirates

Last updated: 23rd August 2010   

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer's departure is not a 'foregone conclusion'.

The Cottagers No.1, who has been nursing a back injury, has been the subject of Arsenal's attention this summer, but two £2million bids from the Gunners have already been rejected.

David Stockdale has impressed in place of Schwarzer between the sticks in Fulham's two opening Premier League games, keeping a clean sheet at Bolton in their curtain-raiser before frustrating Manchester United in a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

But while pleased with the younger shot-stopper's display, Hughes is adamant the 37-year-old Australia international's move to Arsenal is not set in stone.

Interest
"It's not a foregone conclusion that Mark will leave," Hughes told the Guardian.

"We're all aware of Arsenal's interest. It's not a surprise because he's an outstanding goalkeeper and they obviously feel they have an issue with their own goalkeeper."

Stockdale, making only his third start in the top flight, produced a solid performance against United, saving a Nani penalty three minutes from time which paved the way for Brede Hangeland's late strike following his earlier own-goal.

But despite the 25-year-old former Darlington player's strong start to the campaign, Hughes admits he is seeking the security of a more experienced shot-stopper.

"Stockdale has done very well and is a good young keeper," added Hughes.

"We've been impressed with what we've seen since we've been here, and he's arguably been the star man in both games.

"He's been outstanding and, had this game gone to 3-1, it would have been United's.

"We're pleased with what he's producing at the moment but it's always difficult for young keepers. They get by initially on adrenalin and enthusiasm, but can they keep it up over time? It's a long season and you've got to be careful with

them."

Grounded
Stockdale, meanwhile, is refusing to get carried away following his good work so far this season.

"That's another showing I can go to the manager with and say: 'There you go. That's what I can do,'" said Stockdale.

"I was just trying to get the lads out of the deep muck. It's hard enough trying to dislodge Mark Schwarzer at the best of times but I'll just take it day by day now and see what happens."

SmithyFFC

Sparkys view on tranfer speculation is so much better, with Roy it was silent, silent, and then something happened. At least with Sparky he gives us some news.
FTID

AlFayedsChequebook

Sounds like Stockdale is a grounded guy and wont be put off if we bring in another keeper. Really like his attitude.