watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FOFerview with our very own WhiteJC, the unsung hero of FOF

Started by dannyboi-ffc, June 29, 2017, 09:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Ok Ladies & Gents. So far the FOFerview has given you Tim Flowers, Fulham great Robert Wilson and Billy the Badger Creator Kyle Jackson. Now its time to give you a legend of our own. The man who keeps the forum ticking over behind the scenes, the one and only John Cummins aka WhiteJC.

Dannyboi John, always a pleasure speaking to you. Obviously we are both heavily involved in the running of FOF. But you've been here since the very beginning, what or who made you aware of FOF and what made you get so involved?

WhiteJC I can't remember how I heard about FoF, it was almost certainly on the offal, or it could have been from LBNo11. Shortly after Scott started FoF he put out a request for help running the forum, at that time I was a web designer/developer so I offered my services. A short while later we moved from the 'forum in a box' provider to the current Simple Machines based forum. Unfortunately we lost the original posts as the 'forum in a box' provider wanted an extortionate amount for the databases. However the current forum software has allowed us to grow, if I remember correctly we only had 500 or 600 members and that was too many for the original platform, we now have 3,300+ members, nearly 746,000 posts in over 52,600+ topics, we'd never have been able to achieve that with the original site. I'm sure everyone realised recently the hosting company we were using couldn't cope with the amount of traffic FoF generated, it wasn't the forum software/platform it was the host that couldn't cope! Now that we've moved hosting my life should be a little easier.

Dannyboi A lot of time and effort goes into FOF from the team and we have different roles which is why it works so well and why we got on with each other (never too many chefs). I'm very much on the front line, explain to our readers and members exactly what your role is because to most i'm sure it is a bit of a mystery compared to what I do for example.

WhiteJC My main task is to keep the forum "in shape", every day I check the forum database for any errors and repair where necessary, I accept or reject new member enquiries and generally try to keep things ticking over.
I know that most users of the forum only visit the forum(s) but there is also quite a bit of other 'stuff' on the site, such as desktop wallpapers, avatars, a bibliography of Fulham related books, the history of the club, famous fans (originally compiled by Chopper), a pub map (not been updated for a while) and I've recently reinstated information on teams in our league, links to Fulham related websites and a blog, the F-Word, which we're currently looking for contributions.
I'm still trying to finalise the new FoF logo, I just can't get it to look right when its small, I need to do some tweeking, but that takes an inordinate amount of time, but its close so hopefully it'll be ready soon.
Also at the moment I'm 'drawing' team shirts, as they get released, these will be used on the home page "next game" section, the match day threads and the teams in the league page(s).
I've got a couple of ides for some new wallpapers and avatars, I've not done any for a while so its time I pulled my finger out!

Dannyboi When FOF crashes I know Scott helps out to solve the issue but it is mainly your responsibility and we rely solely on you to get it back up and running. That's a lot of pressure isn't it?

WhiteJC It can be "interesting", when the site crashed a couple of months ago there was nothing that we could do about it, the hosting company site crashed, so all me and Scott could do was plan to move to a new hosting company ASAP. On other occasions we've suffered from corrupted files and damaged forum databases, these can be tricky but the general idea is that we reinstall a backup and we should be good to go, most times it works. (so far)

Dannyboi Describe your morning ritual with the Daily Fulham Stuff. Its become part of your daily routine hasn't it?

WhiteJC It's how I start my mornings. First off I start by moving the previous days version to the archive, so anyone can go back and look for a specific news story if they want to.
Then I trawl the web for any Fulham related stuff, first point of call is always the newsnow website, to be honest I get 99% of the news links from there. I then take a view on which stories to add to the news, often there will be dozens of stories that are exactly the same, 9 times out of 10 I'll use the first one, I'll also show most Daily Mail or Mirror stories as they have photos, some of the 'local papers' quite often don't have any, I think adding photos makes the story more interesting.
Now that we're in the Championship there's less "news", when we were in the Premiership I'd often add stories in the afternoon, I only tend to add stories later in the day when we play in the evening or special occasions, close of the window etc.

Dannyboi How many memberships do you approve a week roughly?

WhiteJC Not nearly as many as I reject! You'd be amazed at how many "spam" accounts we receive, before I installed some software to reject "known" spam accounts I was rejecting between 90 and 100 per day!
Memberships tend to come in waves, start of the season is the busiest time, if we're "on a good run" requests tend to be higher, close season very few, as an average I'd say around 10 per week.

Dannyboi How do you feel the board / boards have changed over the years?

WhiteJC They've got busier, sometimes there are multiple threads on the same subject, this can detract from the "conversation". With more members we get a broader view, sometimes poles apart, which can make for interesting discussions, unfortunately it can also lead to tension and antagonism, but at the end of the day we all have at least one thing in common, Fulham FC.   
One thing that I don't hear that much now is the accusations of cliques, I never thought there were any but it used to get mentioned a lot, thankfully very rarely now.

Dannyboi What do you like most about FOF?

WhiteJC To me it feels like a family, just like the club, I really like reading the "I remember when" stories, some of the stories bring back my own memories others a slight tinge of jealousy that I didn't witness the event.
I also like that FoF has given me the chance to meet some really interesting and good people, I'm sure that maybe I'd have met them, in passing, at a match or down the pub before or after a game but FoF has given me a chance to really get to know them.

Dannyboi Now the downside, what do you dislike most about FOF?

WhiteJC There are one or two members who I avoid, not going to tell you who, but I can't really think of anything that I dislike.

Dannyboi Other than me (of course lol), is there any members in particular that you look out for or find their views interesting?

WhiteJC Top of my list Danny, there's been a number over the years, see the question about the members who are no longer with us, as for people who still post, even if its not very often these days, in no particular order: LBNo11, bog, peabody, the Equalizer, Airfix, Lighthouse, HatterDon, TheDaddy, FC Silver Fox, Fernhurst, EpsomRaver and quite a few others

Dannyboi I must confess I've been guilty of this in the past before I knew you properly or become a mod and I know I'm not alone. Are you aware that people get you 'WhiteJC' confused with 'Whitenoise'?

WhiteJC No I wasn't aware however I'm not surprised. Years ago Dave (Whitenoise) started the daily news, when he went on holiday or was unable to compile it, I'd take over, when he stopped visiting FoF regularly I took on the daily news "full time", so long time members probably think its still him?

Dannyboi Almost 43,000 posts, more than double the second most and 3 times more than anyone other than Burt, Whitenoise, Lighthouse and Hatter Don. Achievement or Ridiculous?

WhiteJC No contest, Ridiculous I really should get out more!

Dannyboi What amazes me by that post tally is that you don't actually post that much in debates and stuff. How come? 

WhiteJC Most of the time I either agree with the majority of whats been said or don't have an informed opinion, I try to see both sides of an argument however, if I think I can add to the discussion then I will.

Dannyboi Is there anyone who no longer posts or is sadly no longer with us that you feel is a big loss to FOF?

WhiteJC Too many, the Bard/Corked Hat I counted as a friend even though we never met face to face, I designed a couple of book covers for him and he was kind enough to send a toy kangaroo from Australia for my grandson when he was born, really genuine bloke, I'd have loved to go for a pint with him.
Finnster, we'd arranged to meet up in Hamburg for the final but unfortunately missed each other, I don't think he came back, from the States, after that?
tjl, I used to love his reports about sheep racing and France getting lost in the fog. Whenever I join in the tipping league I always vote Fulham 3-1, tjl used to bet on Fulham to win 3-1 every game.
Grave_Little_Maurice, he only ever posted 2 or 3 times, but what wonderful inventive posts, check them out...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=10659.msg113395#msg113395
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=6248.msg60370#msg60370

Dannyboi Where do you see FOF in 5 years time?

WhiteJC I think we'll have a more 'interactive' forum and possibly a 'talking shop/round table' type show, providing we get the time, hardware and software and assuming that there is an interest. We could use YouTube to do this sort of thing, have 2 or 3 'presenters' and take 'live' questions from members or have a 'ask a question' section on the forum. The main problem is time, these shows would take a fair amount of organising both before and after the show.
A few years ago we had a 'live messaging' area that was mainly used during games, in truth the software wasn't really good enough and would often crash or lag when more than 20 members joined in, I think we might to be able to revisit that now that we have a more stable hosting platform.
I'd also like to meet more members, I know you've arranged some get togethers and one day I plan to attend.

Dannyboi How did you become such a wizard on computers and stuff? Is it something that has developed alongside FOF evolving or was you always this skilled?

WhiteJC I've worked 'in computing' since 1978, way before PC's, I started as a mainframe operator working for a computer bureau, in those days even big companies didn't have their own mainframes, they rented time on our mainframes to run their invoices, payroll etc. so I've been doing this sort of stuff for a while.

Dannyboi Tell us a bit about John, not WhiteJC. How did you come to support Fulham?

WhiteJC My Dad was born and grew up in Mortlake, Grandad was a drayman for Watneys, in the early 50's the family moved to Sutton, just around the corner from the Sutton Utd's Gander Green Lane ground. As a kid me and my brother, Richard, would go over the park to play football in the shadow of Sutton's ground with the other lads, two of whom, David and Mark Procter, lived next door but one. Their dad and my dad would go to football most Saturdays, either to Chelsea or Fulham. Funnily enough Dad was at Fulham on the day I was born, he told me I was named after Johnny Haynes.  Dave and Mark were a year or two older than me and my brother so they got to go to the games before us, eventually me and Richard persuaded Dad to take us to a match. For some reason Dad was an Arsenal supporter, I've no idea why, and as part of our Christmas presents Dad said he'd take us to see Fulham at home to Arsenal on New Years Day 1966 or 67, Fulham won 1-0 and I was hooked!
My Grandad and one my uncles would always look for the Fulham results and I think it was them who indoctrinated me from a very early age telling me stories of going to games in the 20's and 30's, my uncle would tell me how he used to 'bunk-in' and watch games and try to get a free program after the match so he could get it autographed when the players left. For me, going to that first game was incredible, I can still remember almost everything about that day, Grandad gave me sixpence, a lot of money for me back then, I remember getting a rosette, I think Dad paid for that? the train ride Sutton West to Wimbledon, Wimbledon to Putney Bridge, sitting outside a pub with a lemonade and a packet of crisps, then walking over Putney Bridge, I don't think I'd ever seen so many people, walking through Bishops Park, hearing the crowd and getting into the ground, we were at the Putney End and I remember getting to the front and being pressed up against the metal railings, wonderful stuff. 
As I got older I used to go with Dave and Mark, I can't remember if Richard came, he must have?

Dannyboi What's been your favourite Fulham moment as a supporter?

WhiteJC Clint Dempsey scoring against Juve, I said to someone before the match that I wanted to see us score a goal, at half-time I wanted to see us keep the 2-1 scoreline and be able to say that I'd seen Fulham beat Juventus! When Clint's goal went in I'm sure the whole ground was silent for a split second, and then the noise started, what a feeling. I wasn't at the Fulham Hamburg home game so I didn't take part in the "stand up if you still believe" chant, I'm sure that would have been a close second.

Dannyboi The cottage has changed a lot over the years, did you prefer it with terracing? How do you rate the cottage as a ground these days with all the newer facilities and food outlets?

WhiteJC I used to like being able to change ends at half time, as a kid I never sat in the stands, only ever stood on the terraces. These days I'm quite glad of a sit down. The only thing I remember about food from years ago was outside the ground, we used to get hot chestnuts in Bishops Park, they were a real treat.

Dannyboi If you were chairman for one day and were allowed to change one thing about FFC what would it be & why?

WhiteJC Only one thing, then it would have to be improved communication with the fans, I know there is "commercial confidentiality" etc. but I do think "the club" could let us know the status of ground improvements, Motspur Park, and letting us know that we're after one or two strikers, goalkeeper etc. 
If I was running the website I'd let our travelling fans what kit we'll be wearing, first, away or third, just a little thing but I think it might help shirt sales especially at the start of the season?

Dannyboi Who would be your fantasy signing this summer?

WhiteJC Anyone who Jokanovic really wants, he's a much better judge than I am

Dannyboi Who is your favourite player from your time supporting the whites?

WhiteJC The Maestro, Johnny Haynes, no contest, he was past his best when I saw him, but to me he was Mr Fulham.
Coming a very close 2nd would be Danny Murphy, loved his attitude, why we didn't keep him on the management staff is beyond me.

Dannyboi What makes Fulham special for you

WhiteJC lt's like coming home, walking through Bishops Park, seeing the Cottage, squeezing through the turnstiles, and then that feeling of "belonging". As a kid most of my school mates supported Man U or Chelsea, apart from Dave and Mark no one supported Fulham, I kind of liked not being like everyone else.

Dannyboi .....And Finally John, you know the drill. Pie or Pasty (which filling)?

WhiteJC Cottage Pie, what else is there?

Dannyboi Haha, Great answer mate! Thanks for doing this John, I've enjoyed it and I'm sure everyone else will too.

WhiteJC No problem Danny.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Lighthouse

:Haynes The Maestro:  Nicely done. A huge job undertaken but what an achievement. 

But why so many spam accounts trying to mess things up? People are very odd.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sunburywhite

Fantastic
Thanks to you both for all the time you put into the website. Makes my freeloading a lot easier

Is that West Spammers who keep trying to join?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 29, 2017, 10:44:13 AM
:Haynes The Maestro:  Nicely done. A huge job undertaken but what an achievement. 

But why so many spam accounts trying to mess things up? People are very odd.
It's people who have their own business websites. Links from an established site like FoF help to boast your own site in Google's page rankings.

Thanks John for your efforts.

OtherHodgson

Thanks guys, a thoroughly enjoyable read.  Although I've been an almost daily reader of FoF for years, I rarely post as I find it that sucks me in further and then starts to consume more time than I have. 

I haven't been able to get over from the States to a match since I brought my son over in 2010 for WH home on Boxing Day and a glorious 2-0 away victory at Stoke (I'll have to post about that sometime, fabulous experience and demonstrates what a great family club we are) but hope to get back soon.  I have been back to the grounds a few times since in the offseason when when work has taken me to London on business.

After reading so many posts from our frequent members over the years I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you and picking up the tab for a few pints for all the great work you do.  Cheers!

RaySmith

Great interview Danny - very illuminating to see how much hard work goes into the FoF website behind the scenes. White JC does a great job keeping the show on the road.

Thanks to everyone involved  with the running of FoF.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: OtherHodgson on June 29, 2017, 04:43:28 PM
Thanks guys, a thoroughly enjoyable read.  Although I've been an almost daily reader of FoF for years, I rarely post as I find it that sucks me in further and then starts to consume more time than I have. 

I haven't been able to get over from the States to a match since I brought my son over in 2010 for WH home on Boxing Day and a glorious 2-0 away victory at Stoke (I'll have to post about that sometime, fabulous experience and demonstrates what a great family club we are) but hope to get back soon.  I have been back to the grounds a few times since in the offseason when when work has taken me to London on business.

After reading so many posts from our frequent members over the years I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you and picking up the tab for a few pints for all the great work you do.  Cheers!

Welcome to the board mate!

It's always nice when a reader decides to get involved with the debates. It's what I did for 2 years before I eventually decided to join.  I hope you enjoy it!!!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

e4b

Once again you've done a great job Dannyboi and many thanks to WhiteJC for the interview and all the work he does for the site.

jarv

Burt

dannyboi-ffc

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]