Main Menu

wolfsburg

Started by nose, July 27, 2017, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

on the offal
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/july/27/wolfsburg-gallery
Relive the memories it says

I went to both games, the away one was a mega experience.

2010!  How have the mighty fallen and how much less our outlook now.
I will not go on saturday because I do not enjoiy friendlies. No matter how minor I will go to a competitve game, but not friendlies.

In those days we had a proper team and squad with enough players of the proper calibre. now we barely have 11 first team players.

SuffolkWhite

I disagree, I always felt we should have strengthened more in the January window than we did. The Final showed how depleted we were as a fair few of our players were carrying injuries.

My two penny's anyway Nose.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

nose

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on July 27, 2017, 04:42:10 PM
I disagree, I always felt we should have strengthened more in the January window than we did. The Final showed how depleted we were as a fair few of our players were carrying injuries.

My two penny's anyway Nose.

You know I cannot recall that winter's transfer window. I suppose in retrospect we should but I tended to trust roy and MAF as a team to do the right thing.

SuffolkWhite

Well no one expected us to get there maybe including MAF, I'm sure Roy wold have wanted to strengthen as all managers do.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

BestOfBrede

Does every post you make have to be negative on purpose?
Are you Victor Melnose in disguise by any chance?

Woolly Mammoth

I am looking forward to our friendly v Wolfsburg. Our last full friendly so to speak, and a good way of measuring ourselves.
Also will get a fair idea as to who Jok intends to select for his squad v Norwich City, subject to any injuries, and any more new players arriving in the meantime.
A very important friendly.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: BestOfBrede on July 27, 2017, 06:37:28 PM

He is a bit of a sourpuss  :031:  I'm going Saturday. Looking forward to it. Have a lot of happy memories of the last time we played them and the other teams in Europe. I'm hoping they bring some noisy support as well.
The difference with the team then and now was manly age. Both managers coach/coached a style of football that allowed players to show their skills but within a "team comes first" set up. Our squad was thin then and it was a real shame we went into the final with a team who were tired and one or two not fit. We're still a small squad but younger and with a manager as good as Roy at the helm.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on July 27, 2017, 07:09:40 PM

He is a bit of a sourpuss  :031:  I'm going Saturday. Looking forward to it. Have a lot of happy memories of the last time we played them and the other teams in Europe. I'm hoping they bring some noisy support as well.
The difference with the team then and now was manly age. Both managers coach/coached a style of football that allowed players to show their skills but within a "team comes first" set up. Our squad was thin then and it was a real shame we went into the final with a team who were tired and one or two not fit. We're still a small squad but younger and with a manager as good as Roy at the helm.
0001.jpeg

aaronmcguigan

Those games, ignorantly on my part, became the first time I'd even heard of the names of Sascha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah..!

HobGoblin

Excellent games, was at both. Loved every minute of our European run, except last couple of the final. Yes the squad needed more from that transfer window but we were never expecting to get to the final

HobGoblin

Going on that cup run and the season/s around it I remember how much I loved our Shirt from then and must admit the "LG" (Life's Good) logo was a nice touch.

nose

most of my 5000+ posts have been optimistic and positive
the art of the can do, the sky is the limit
when we lost to torquay with the ever hopeless branfoot in charge, i said I thought a big shot with imagination could take us on and we could even get into europe...... my wife will attest that this is 100% true....  and MAF arrived

my current gloom is the repeating mistakes and the missed opportunities.
last october i was thrilled and could see us finishing top two.... no problem, just needed a couple of payers
this summer i felt sure the owner would turn things round, we are so close to being the runnaway winners of this division. we have the framework of a truly outstanding team... the best manager in the division.....  how much more positive than that!!!!
Except of course we are repeating the errors of previous seasons and shooting the manager in the foot... as they say on catchphrase, I say what I see!

The word wolfsburg just upsets me because of how far we have fallen and how qickly. unlike a few on here that seem content to defend indefensible inactivity, i cannot, it's not in my nature.

IMO we are so close to being an obvious top two side.... why are we dithering?

nose

Quote from: HobGoblin on July 27, 2017, 08:20:57 PM
Excellent games, was at both. Loved every minute of our European run, except last couple of the final. Yes the squad needed more from that transfer window but we were never expecting to get to the final

the final was a wonderful experience
it was ashame BZ was not fully fit and even though I was not a great dempsey fan, IMO he should have started. the history of football finals says that teams that rely on unfit players usually lose.....   better to have 11 fit than 10 and a passenger. i know booby set up the goal but i suspect the whole game would have been quite different if clint would have started, and i thought the game would have suited him.

we will never know, but i loved that whole adventure..... 

HobGoblin

Quote from: nose on July 27, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Quote from: HobGoblin on July 27, 2017, 08:20:57 PM

the final was a wonderful experience
it was ashame BZ was not fully fit and even though I was not a great dempsey fan, IMO he should have started. the history of football finals says that teams that rely on unfit players usually lose.....   better to have 11 fit than 10 and a passenger. i know booby set up the goal but i suspect the whole game would have been quite different if clint would have started, and i thought the game would have suited him.

we will never know, but i loved that whole adventure.....

I agree, I think it was more suited for Dempsey this game, I also think without the injuries to our players which were being carried we'd have won it. Was heartbreaking but at end was so proud of the lads.

Although the daytime, afternoon, evening in the Thomas Reed Irish Bar is up there with the best times as a supporter of Fulham. Songs non stop for hours. mint