watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Requirements this year...Alternative view

Started by res, July 29, 2017, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

res

We didn't go up last year because we shed too many goals (57 conceded, more than Wigan who were relegated) and didn't get enough home points (38, with 10 wins, 8 draws, and 5 losses).
So the clamour for a striker may be misplaced...we scored 85 split between 16 players (excluding cup competitions) and had an excellent away record (42 points and 40 goals); SJ's style of player dictates those types of statistics.
So it may be the priority is to tighten up the defence, especially at home where we conceded 32 and get a better cutting edge to our existing players...a stand alone striker can upset the flow of a team. It also means that we may need to be more conservative at home to reduce those frustrating draws where we concede early and spend the rest of the game trying to batter down the consequent away team's wall.

Lighthouse

But as we all know what happened last season is dead and gone. We will not recapture the form that we had in the second half of the season. What we need was a small improvement in the spine of the side. To have a forward, a few defenders and a decent keeper who could command his area. But as we have clearly decided to only go for squad players. The way we play means the defence will be under pressure from teams who can pressure us with a high line.

Our requirements are an improved spine. What we will have is none of that but a top 10 side. We will not recapture last seasons form without improvement.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

It all sounds very easy but it isn't when you are away you are less attack minded and look to catch the home team on the break and when you are the home team vice versa. There are different pressures at home and away and because we beat a lot of teams away last year we may not this time. Everything changes in this league every year 6 different teams and 12 different games. Even the time of year you play teams makes a difference. Injuries and suspensions etc. So basically what ever players you have you will need a slice or two of Lady Luck as well

@jolslover

Slavisa says we want a LB, 2 STS and a CB
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: @jolslover on July 29, 2017, 06:19:20 PM
Slavisa says we want a LB, 2 STS and a CB

He agrees with me then.
What he didn't say is, that he wants to choose them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

Slav wants a CB
Bristol City say they are in advanced talks with an unnamed Championship team for Flint
Johnson family connections to FFC support

2+2 = 5? Probably

With Kalas coming in we now have 1 more CB in the first team squad than last year. Slav wants another one. To me that means one of Ragnor or Madl will be going by 31 August. If fit....

Andy S

nose

Quote from: res on July 29, 2017, 10:56:12 AM
We didn't go up last year because we shed too many goals (57 conceded, more than Wigan who were relegated) and didn't get enough home points (38, with 10 wins, 8 draws, and 5 losses).
So the clamour for a striker may be misplaced...we scored 85 split between 16 players (excluding cup competitions) and had an excellent away record (42 points and 40 goals); SJ's style of player dictates those types of statistics.
So it may be the priority is to tighten up the defence, especially at home where we conceded 32 and get a better cutting edge to our existing players...a stand alone striker can upset the flow of a team. It also means that we may need to be more conservative at home to reduce those frustrating draws where we concede early and spend the rest of the game trying to batter down the consequent away team's wall.

You know what? I was thinking similar thoughts. and what you say makes great sense. But, and there is usually a but, we did lack a proper hold the ball up striker and that counterintuitively would help the defence because far too often when were pushed up and knocking it around beautifully, we had acres of space avaialble behind our defeenders. a classic striker will occupy an opponent more and will, I think, make them less liklely to counter in numbers as many did, especially at the cottage/
another issue was the golden trinagle, whom i love, were slow getting back far too often. when we lost the ball they looked  confused and took to long deciding to make an effort to help the defence.

it is MO unlikely we will score quite so freely this season so again a goal poacher would be useful. many of our goals were works of art, but we scored far too few tap ins and from set pieces, if we would have added that then we could have gort quite a few more wins and certainly it was what we lacked away at reading, somebody to pop the ball in the net with the myriad of chances we squandered.

however, i am not fussed if it is a big man, or small man, just somebody that holds up the play and can bring others into play or switch it.

i do not want us to change our style, if i was manager that is what io would attempt to play too, i just think we need a bit more physical prescence at the back and a proper center forward of the right sort.

Love the OP!