watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by LiveByTheRiver, November 18, 2017, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Matt well done with the video. Wish I could do the same with Kamara from yesterday.
It's so easy for people to say players have done nothing and at least you are trying to give actual evidence of his game yesterday.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 09:47:58 PM
Agree. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I genuinely cannot think of a useful role you could give him in a Championship team. He just doesn't seem cut out for it at all. It's a real shame too because he seems like a nice, committed person. I hope people recognise that this is Kline's fault and Fonte is the biggest victim of all. 

Yes, Fonte is the victim of thoughtless senior Club officials who have allowed Kline to get away with 'murder' for so very long.  The owners and board should apologise to Fonte and the rest of us.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: toshes mate on November 19, 2017, 08:13:50 AM
Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 09:47:58 PM
Agree. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I genuinely cannot think of a useful role you could give him in a Championship team. He just doesn't seem cut out for it at all. It's a real shame too because he seems like a nice, committed person. I hope people recognise that this is Kline's fault and Fonte is the biggest victim of all. 

Yes, Fonte is the victim of thoughtless senior Club officials who have allowed Kline to get away with 'murder' for so very long.  The owners and board should apologise to Fonte and the rest of us.

This is a symptom of our owners previous involvement being with an American football team . Stats drive that sport and you recruit players based on them. Doesn't translate too well to association football.

ffcne

Quote from: Matt10 on November 18, 2017, 10:34:14 PM
I'll stay in his corner. I think he's solid. Watched him play at Braga, and was sublime. His movement off the ball set up some chances. A striker doesn't always have to get the ball to make an impact. Regardless, I know this is getting old, but can't wait to see him prove everyone wrong once he's given decent service for once.
064.gif '',Cant wait to see him prove everyone wrong'' Are you for real.Waste of money .Should be dropped to give someone else a chance.1 goal in how many games .Contribution absolute sweet f.a.

jeremyfulham

There was a lot of service today, I lost count of the number of crosses flashed across the box.  He was nowhere near any of them.

Surely the person crossing is to blame for not finding him ?

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: jeremyfulham on November 19, 2017, 10:12:02 AM
There was a lot of service today, I lost count of the number of crosses flashed across the box.  He was nowhere near any of them.

Surely the person crossing is to blame for not finding him ?

Maybe youre being sarcastic. But if he's not in the box (pre substitution) then how can the crosser find him?

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Matt10 on November 19, 2017, 03:24:12 AM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 19, 2017, 03:19:54 AM
As twig says in a comment above there were so many balls put in the box which just needed a fulham player to tap in. Fonte is our striker - he should be poaching and getting on the end of those. Don't tell me he's not getting the service.

When we paid 8mil for him I looked at his cv and thought what are we doing. Not really done anything in his career.

If you're talking about the 2nd half, and the last 25 minutes in particular, then yes...he should be on the end of them.

But he wasn't in the match at that point.

Look through the match again when he was in and count how many times we got a cross past the first man.

I'm sorry, but he gets into the box a lot.

Plenty of crosses went in when he was still on the pitch.

Also I didn't realise he was so slightly built.

Waste of money at the moment.

@jolslover

Quote from: Matt10 on November 19, 2017, 05:43:19 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 19, 2017, 12:27:54 AM
This thread seems to be a bit more open minded, so I'll post my video highlighting his play. As a former striker, and aspiring coach, I think a lot of what Fonte does right is being lost upon the result. He doesn't get played the ball, it's simple as that. He is a player that is well documented to pass and move, pass and move. How does not fit the Fulham system? He gets in the box plenty.

The match is on ESPN3 for those who have access. I would advise rewatching it and coming in unbiased with the perceptions here just because he hasn't had the chances. I wish he'd be more selfish since it's very rare that he gets the service anyways. Figures when he was adequately selfish, we get a great chance, and eventual goal.

Here's the video. Sorry for the voice, at the tail end of a cold.

Great Vid mate. Enjoyed watching.
STH H3

toshes mate

I'm sorry, but [Fonte] gets into the box a lot.

Thanks for the video which I have now watched.  There are, as you rightly comment, a lot of good things about Fonte, and he is clearly working hard and often trying to find positions where he influences play directly or indirectly.  I also agree that often the service to him is not forthcoming.   However, he is often caught, as you say, being lazy and trying to time his runs rather than being 'instinctive' in the manner of a true Championship thoroughbred.   He is certainly worth his place in the side/squad until something better comes along, and I do not, at the moment, consider him in anyway inferior to Kamara.  If anything I'd say Fonte is the more intelligent player of the two.  Both will improve with more training time with a strong core side which, of course, Fulham haven't had this season.   

The video was a good watch so thank you for the time and effort making it.

RaySmith

Thanks for taking the trouble to make the video. Not sure that I agree that Fonte is lazy, but feel he lacks confidence, and isn't sure of his role in the team (and nor are we!).

We've seen what he can do with that goal, and there he positively wanted the ball and to make things happen - has he lost a bit of confidence with the poor performances and results of the team?

I don't think we realise how difficult it must be to make the transition from a foreign league to one in a new country with a completely different style of play, plus all the other things you have to cope with in adjusting to a new country and culture.

I feel that Fonte, and Kamara, could prove to valuable assets in time. In many ways it's harder for players to come from abroad to a club like Fulham, especially with our struggles with injuries and form this season, than to a top Prem club.

Anyway, I hope they both manage to fit in and  do well with, and for, Fulham.

Matt10

Quote from: colinwhite on November 19, 2017, 07:27:13 AM
cant disagree with alot that has been saidbut he is a striker who needs a goal. If he gets one or 2 and still cant cut it then maybe he isnt good enough. Although that ipswich goal seems a along way away, things can change very quickly in fotboll. Kamara has improved slightly.

Completely agree. Which is what I said at the end of the video. If he gets his chances (such as QPR match) and doesn't convert, then yes, I can't support him much or defend him. What some have said is just simply untrue though, he marks a lot of boxes that are necessary as a striker, except for the most important one - not scoring goals.

Quote from: MJG on November 19, 2017, 07:51:06 AM
Matt well done with the video. Wish I could do the same with Kamara from yesterday.
It's so easy for people to say players have done nothing and at least you are trying to give actual evidence of his game yesterday.

Thanks, MJG. Yeah, I felt Kamara played quite well. Brought a different level and got involved. I think he was in a good position relative to the match scenario as we were pressing for that winner. However, he makes similar runs, but doesn't play off the shoulder of the defenders, he keeps his shoulder in their chest, so he opens up to the ball for a square pass versus Fonte who looks for the darting run. This is why I think Fonte is more like Ayite in many respects, but it's obvious he can and should be found on multiple occasions - so it's not just on him.

Quote from: Statto on November 19, 2017, 10:17:59 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 19, 2017, 07:51:06 AM

Emphasis on the word "trying"
The first clip is Fredericks declining to play a 30 yard ball to Fonte who is standing between Keogh and Davies... presumably because Fredericks like the rest of us knows that Fonte, lacking both pace and strength, isn't going to beat Keogh and Davies to the ball in a million years
The second clip is him pressing the defender on 7 mins. Someone count the number of times he did that in the 45-60 minute period and compare it to Kamara in 60-75 mins and then you'll get a useful picture.
At that point I turned off.

He's side by side the defender, pace has nothing to do with it, it's all about timing. Also, if you would rewatch our defensive positioning up front, you'll see that Ayite and Fonte were set up to switch off. We play a 4-2-3-1 in attack and switch to a 4-5-1 in defense, with a flexibile position on that "1" (forward), so it's set up to switch between Ayite and Fonte, with the CDM to press more advanced, and angles cut off by the forward. We staggered this against Derby, which is something we haven't done this season. Their playmaker Huddlestone had to be pressed and forced into a less than advanced position. When Kamara comes on, the pressure changed on him to press throughout, while the angles taken off was made by the CDM instead - and Ayite was free to roam.

I think if Joka wanted Fonte to press the same way Kamara did, he would've instructed it. Give Joka more credit that he understand his player's strength/weaknesses, and folds the system to that. The Derby match was a good indicator of that approach, and why it was a good match overall for us.

Quote from: @jolslover on November 19, 2017, 10:29:33 AM
Great Vid mate. Enjoyed watching.

I appreciate that. I have never posted my analysis videos before. I plan on doing more for other players - hopefully with a bit better production, but I won't quit my day job :) .

Matt10

Quote from: toshes mate on November 19, 2017, 11:15:40 AM
I'm sorry, but [Fonte] gets into the box a lot.

Thanks for the video which I have now watched.  There are, as you rightly comment, a lot of good things about Fonte, and he is clearly working hard and often trying to find positions where he influences play directly or indirectly.  I also agree that often the service to him is not forthcoming.   However, he is often caught, as you say, being lazy and trying to time his runs rather than being 'instinctive' in the manner of a true Championship thoroughbred.   He is certainly worth his place in the side/squad until something better comes along, and I do not, at the moment, consider him in anyway inferior to Kamara.  If anything I'd say Fonte is the more intelligent player of the two.  Both will improve with more training time with a strong core side which, of course, Fulham haven't had this season.   

The video was a good watch so thank you for the time and effort making it.

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining that. I agree then, yes he's not a prototypical Championship player, or striker/forward. I approach in defending him is mainly because the manager chooses him for the squad. After that, what are we left to do as fans? Nothing really. So, instead of resist the player, I find a curiosity in determining what is preventing them from reaching their perceived potential. I'm an aspiring coach myself, but it's tough to take the "player" mentality out of me. I'm open minded though and your post brings a lot validity to the thoughts on Fonte.

I think aesthetically Kamara is a player I'd pass the ball to a lot more. That's a fact. If I were his teammate, he just takes up a big amount of space, it's hard not to see that. Fonte, as you brought up as well, is moving off the ball quite hard, and rapid, but it's possible that his runs are even deceptive to his teammates.

Do you think he and Ayite would be the "better" adjustment to swap and just leave AK47 as the starter?

Matt10

Quote from: RaySmith on November 19, 2017, 11:38:17 AM
Thanks for taking the trouble to make the video. Not sure that I agree that Fonte is lazy, but feel he lacks confidence, and isn't sure of his role in the team (and nor are we!).

We've seen what he can do with that goal, and there he positively wanted the ball and to make things happen - has he lost a bit of confidence with the poor performances and results of the team?

I don't think we realise how difficult it must be to make the transition from a foreign league to one in a new country with a completely different style of play, plus all the other things you have to cope with in adjusting to a new country and culture.

I feel that Fonte, and Kamara, could prove to valuable assets in time. In many ways it's harder for players to come from abroad to a club like Fulham, especially with our struggles with injuries and form this season, than to a top Prem club.

I watched the Ipswich match, where he scored his only goal, and the way we played against them was similar to how we played against Derby. Fonte was involved a lot, there was overall a lot of happiness throughout the team - especially considering we had lost to Wednesday the previous match.

The main thing that stood out was how often he checked back to the ball and continuously dropped back. However, Ojo was in this match and I thought he was fantastic - and so involved. Made me rethink my lasting impression of Ojo and how he did in the QPR match. Would it be possible to get Kamara and Fonte on the pitch at the same time? Does anyone recall if/when this might've occurred? I'd like to look at the past matches.

Overall, if Fonte gets the chances and doesn't convert, then I feel everything is validated. I'm just not going to give up on him. I will admit I also gave up on Ojo too soon, but it wasn't until watching his previous matches did I realize he's actually quite the player.

Carborundum

A striker who isn't getting chances in a team that plays possession football is, to my mind, worse than a striker who misses good chances.  I'm struggling to see a footballing reason to play him ahead of the far more rumbustuous Kamara.  He clearly needs to play in a league where physical attributes are less called upon.  Strength isn't a nice-to-have in this league, it's a basic requirement.  It's depressing seeing Keogh charge forward because he knows there's nothing to worry about behind him.

The club has bought a dud.  Next.

colinwhite

Good video and points Matt. Too early to rule Fonte out just yet.We need somewhere to find the goal touch soon though. It Will be interesting to see Slavisas team selection on tuesday,if he sticks with Fonte or starts Kamara.
We have great pace down the flanks with fredricks in particular. This causes problems for our attacking players in transition at times as we dont have time to get into the box.
If someone were to put together  a stat for the number of times we get to the Bi-line in games we would in my estimation be way in front of most sides. Our conversion rate is abbysmal however, we never seem to find a man and if we do play the ball behind him . Think Jokanovic mentioned after the game yesterday that it is something they are trying to work on.

colinwhite

We are also missing that breakthrough player who can take men on on the edge of our opponents box with out getting so easily pushed of the ball. In that role we definitely havent replaced Aluko.

@jolslover

Quote from: Carborundum on November 19, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
A striker who isn't getting chances in a team that plays possession football is, to my mind, worse than a striker who misses good chances.  I'm struggling to see a footballing reason to play him ahead of the far more rumbustuous Kamara.  He clearly needs to play in a league where physical attributes are less called upon.  Strength isn't a nice-to-have in this league, it's a basic requirement.  It's depressing seeing Keogh charge forward because he knows there's nothing to worry about behind him.

The club has bought a dud.  Next.

Poor opinion that strength is a basic requirement when 3 of the best players in this leauge are Neves, Costa and Diogo Jota. None of which are strong by any means. Also Vydra scored against us yesterday, Not strong aswell. Forestieri? Piazon? Pablo Hernandez? I could go on..
STH H3

RaySmith

Slightly built players can be strong for footballing purposes, and light weight can  make them quick.

Mince n Tatties

Were some of you actually at the match yesterday,he was dreadful, that's why he was pulled off.😹

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on November 19, 2017, 11:38:17 AM

Then the best answer to players from abroad taking time to settle in and struggling to come to terms with our football and culture if that is the case, is don't sign them in the first place, it's as simple as that. They could cost the Manager his job, cost us promotion, even send us down the other way. 
Absolute madness to even consider signing them.
We are a football club not a holiday camp.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.