https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by LiveByTheRiver, November 18, 2017, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: @jolslover on November 19, 2017, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on November 19, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
A striker who isn't getting chances in a team that plays possession football is, to my mind, worse than a striker who misses good chances.  I'm struggling to see a footballing reason to play him ahead of the far more rumbustuous Kamara.  He clearly needs to play in a league where physical attributes are less called upon.  Strength isn't a nice-to-have in this league, it's a basic requirement.  It's depressing seeing Keogh charge forward because he knows there's nothing to worry about behind him.

The club has bought a dud.  Next.

Poor opinion that strength is a basic requirement when 3 of the best players in this leauge are Neves, Costa and Diogo Jota. None of which are strong by any means. Also Vydra scored against us yesterday, Not strong aswell. Forestieri? Piazon? Pablo Hernandez? I could go on..

The problem Fulham have, is that we have too many light weight players with no upper body strength. My Mrs could barge them off the ball, and then go back and do it again. This is not a recipe for getting out if this Division.
Too many of the same kind of players.  No height no strength no grit. We only look good on the ball, well so can my daughter.
Off the ball Fulham get mullard, take Derbys goal yesterday both Ream and Kalas and even Button all bottled it, anyone of them should have unloaded the goal scorer, but they laid an egg.
As a consequence of their weak mentality, we shall continue to leak soft goals, and struggle to buy a goal up the other end, and Jok most likely will lose his job because of it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ScalleysDad

Thanks for the vid. It is always good to see to a wider perspective put up for debate. I did see Fonte running into spaces and chasing the occasional lost cause during the game but overall we do need an alternative if JOka is to persist with his 'plan'.

Carborundum

Quote from: @jolslover on November 19, 2017, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on November 19, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
A striker who isn't getting chances in a team that plays possession football is, to my mind, worse than a striker who misses good chances.  I'm struggling to see a footballing reason to play him ahead of the far more rumbustuous Kamara.  He clearly needs to play in a league where physical attributes are less called upon.  Strength isn't a nice-to-have in this league, it's a basic requirement.  It's depressing seeing Keogh charge forward because he knows there's nothing to worry about behind him.

The club has bought a dud.  Next.

Poor opinion that strength is a basic requirement when 3 of the best players in this leauge are Neves, Costa and Diogo Jota. None of which are strong by any means. Also Vydra scored against us yesterday, Not strong aswell. Forestieri? Piazon? Pablo Hernandez? I could go on..

The players cited in your list fall into two categories.  Some I have seen play and know to be stronger that Rui Fonte..  Forestieri is particularly strong as his masterclass by the corner flag this season demonstrated.  Others I haven't seen play live - you might be right.  But I won't be too surprised if they prove to be as difficult to shift off the ball as Helder Costa.

J.Perkins

I see no one has praised Fonte for his pass for Sessegnon's hattrick.

This guy has quality.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: J.Perkins on November 22, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

This guy has quality.

Fonte appears to me to be a fair weather player, yes he passed to Sess and credit to him for that. But I just don't know where he fits in.
Where should he play and whose place should he take. I would rather give an Academy player a chance.
For a player that cannot find the net, he is very expensive, he is easily marked out of the game, and he does not possess the physical qualities required to compete in this Division.
Can never see him running through a brick wall for us.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

Have a look at the first goal, where Carter Vickers messes up and Ojo pounces.  A true strikers goal.  Then ponder whether if Fonte has been in the same starting position as Ojo, the ball would have hit the back of the net.  If you think there's a reasonable chance, then ponder whether based on his showing so far, Fonte would have been in the same starting position, a better one or a worse one.

For me, last night showed Fonte < Ojo as an attacking threat.

supersimmo123

Fonte is slightly like Ross McCormack only in the sense that he likes to come deep for the ball leaving us no focal point up top. At least with Chris Martin last season (before his strop) he led the line and offered an outball. Fonte is very similar, drifts in and out and leaves us with no outball.

davew

Matt10 if you are of the opinion that Fonte is good enough to play for us, then I sincerely hope you don't apply to join our stats team should another vacancy arise! Now where is that thread on Fulham's all time worst signings, Fonte would definitely be on mine and I have followed the club for over 60 years!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Baszab

Fonte was the only let down last night of a brilliant evening - he was nowhere - pass to RS excepted

Artful Dodger

Quote from: supersimmo123 on November 22, 2017, 09:26:51 AM
Fonte is slightly like Ross McCormack only in the sense that he likes to come deep for the ball leaving us no focal point up top. At least with Chris Martin last season (before his strop) he led the line and offered an outball. Fonte is very similar, drifts in and out and leaves us with no outball.
Fonte is like McCormack....except McCormack scored 46 goals or something in 2 seasons...

My question is why we loan out Woodrow every year and then spend £8m on someone who isn't as good. Having seen Martin and now Fonte, why on earth can't we give Woodrow a proper run in the team to see how gets on (appreciating I don't know the terms of his loan). He is a bit older, got some good experience at Burton last year and can't be any worse than Martin or Fonte.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

MJG

Quote from: Artful Dodger on November 22, 2017, 01:14:44 PM
Fonte is like McCormack....except McCormack scored 46 goals or something in 2 seasons...

My question is why we loan out Woodrow every year and then spend £8m on someone who isn't as good. Having seen Martin and now Fonte, why on earth can't we give Woodrow a proper run in the team to see how gets on (appreciating I don't know the terms of his loan). He is a bit older, got some good experience at Burton last year and can't be any worse than Martin or Fonte.
You would need to ask Slav why he did not want him?
Just the views of a long term fan

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on November 22, 2017, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: Artful Dodger on November 22, 2017, 01:14:44 PM

You would need to ask Slav why he did not want him?
slav or kline?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

jeremyfulham

Keep with him , a lot were writing Ojo off before last night

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Wood row is not even a regular in the Bristol City team
He may only be there for cover, but if he was that good he would be in the line up for every match.

Twig

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 22, 2017, 04:15:25 PM
Wood row is not even a regular in the Bristol City team
He may only be there for cover, but if he was that good he would be in the line up for every match.

Scored a good goal last night, a real striker's goal.

davew

Quote from: J.Perkins on November 22, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

This guy has quality.
I think we look at his overall play and then assess his value compared to his price tag, my own conclusion is outrageous!!

colinwhite

Wouls like to have seen Fonte score a few goals which he hasat,but think it would be a mistake to right him off yet as he is a very skillful player.

Matt10

Quote from: davew on November 22, 2017, 10:02:51 AM
Matt10 if you are of the opinion that Fonte is good enough to play for us, then I sincerely hope you don't apply to join our stats team should another vacancy arise! Now where is that thread on Fulham's all time worst signings, Fonte would definitely be on mine and I have followed the club for over 60 years!!

Yeah, he's good enough. It's easy for you to say he's not because he hasn't done anything, so naturally me being on his side is going to ruffle some feathers. I think it's been proven in Fulham's history that there are players that just aren't given enough time. We still have a lot of season left, and with Ayite out, I expect Fonte's versatility to stand out in either a striker role or winger.

Also, noone has corrected the poster, but Fonte didn't send that pass up to Sess, it was Norwood. Maybe watching these videos actually does help :)

davew

Quote from: colinwhite on November 22, 2017, 06:31:38 PM
Wouls like to have seen Fonte score a few goals which he hasat,but think it would be a mistake to right him off yet as he is a very skillful player.
Hate to be controversial, but having just watched the 90 minute replay, what skills did he display?? He went missing for most of the 1/2 hour he was on, something he has managed for longer periods before when selected and then usually been substituted!! The rest of the team seem reluctant to pass the ball to him and after what I have seen so far this season, I don't blame them!!! Cairney did pass the ball to him twice, so Fonte could take a throw in, both of them were bordering foul throws!! There is no way he should be in our squad!!!!!!! Maybe the reason we have performed so badly this season is that our best players (when fit) despair at some of the team selections, I know I do!!!

Matt10

Quote from: jeremyfulham on November 22, 2017, 03:52:53 PM
Keep with him , a lot were writing Ojo off before last night

Myself included. I admit I was judging Ojo off of the QPR match. I took the time and watched the matches he's been in before, and he's actually quite the bright spot. Can't quite put my finger on him just yet. He has moments of brilliance and momentary lapses. Regardless, he's finishing and creating chances, so that's exactly what we need.