https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time for Bettinelli?

Started by ChesterTheTabby, November 21, 2017, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 22, 2017, 05:57:28 PM
At fault for the first one, should never have spilled it
At fault for the second one, beaten through his legs, should not be beaten from a tight angle at the near post
At fault for the third on(unless it took a deflection) totally flat footed
At fault for the fourth one, should have seen the Sheffield player break away on his own and should have come out to put pressure on him
Amost at fault for the corner where Cairney cleared off the line. He then flapoped around like a goldfish out of water
Apart from that I thought he had a good game

Dearie Me...👺

J.Perkins

Quote from: Fulham Joe on November 22, 2017, 02:23:00 PM
For what it's worth, I've always thought Button is a liability.
How he keeps getting picked is beyond me.

I would understand you're statement if we have a better keeper on the bench.

I believe we do not.

Woolly Mammoth

I think you will find that Button will not be available over the Christmas period anyway, as I read in the paper that he is starring in the Christmas Pantomime Cinderella, at the London Paladium.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Milo

Quote from: maoconnor on November 22, 2017, 01:39:18 AM
Quote from: Milo on November 22, 2017, 12:52:33 AM
Past few months Button has kept us in games.. and you want to bench him after one poor performance that didn't even cost us the points?

Add to that he's a confidence player... and You're putting nails in his Fulham career coffin completely prematurely.

He doesn't have the distribution to cope with the high press that have had people claiming teams have "worked us out" however... but until we purchase a goalkeeper with this attributes for this specific purpose, should he lose his place?

Way to overreact to a simple post that merely mentioned a change whilst also saying "I'm not saying Button has done poorly". Who can replace Button? The very goalkeeper that did in the last 6 - 8 games of last season and led us into the playoffs. The player who has come through our own academy and signed a new contact over the summer. Get a grip.

Having re-read your post and my own it does seem like I jumped down your throat a little!

Sorry about that! In my head it came across a lot more mellow! Problem with forums and not chatting over a beer I think :p

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing surprises me anymore with regard to who gets picked and who doesn't.
I am not sure if this Millwall game is the right match to change keepers, but on the other hand it could be as Button is starting to look vulnerable again.
It's difficult looking in from the outside exactly what is discussed between Manager and players. If Jok drops Button, and Betts has a difficult match, and Button because he is dropped loses his confidence, then Jok is up the Swanny without a paddle.
On the other hand Betts could keep a clean sheet and we all live happily ever after.
It's a big call, i am glad it's Joks call and not mine.
But if my life depended on it. I would pick Betts.

Never forget your Roots.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Milo on November 22, 2017, 09:40:48 PM
Quote from: maoconnor on November 22, 2017, 01:39:18 AM
Quote from: Milo on November 22, 2017, 12:52:33 AM
Past few months Button has kept us in games.. and you want to bench him after one poor performance that didn't even cost us the points?

Add to that he's a confidence player... and You're putting nails in his Fulham career coffin completely prematurely.

He doesn't have the distribution to cope with the high press that have had people claiming teams have "worked us out" however... but until we purchase a goalkeeper with this attributes for this specific purpose, should he lose his place?

Way to overreact to a simple post that merely mentioned a change whilst also saying "I'm not saying Button has done poorly". Who can replace Button? The very goalkeeper that did in the last 6 - 8 games of last season and led us into the playoffs. The player who has come through our own academy and signed a new contact over the summer. Get a grip.

Having re-read your post and my own it does seem like I jumped down your throat a little!

Sorry about that! In my head it came across a lot more mellow! Problem with forums and not chatting over a beer I think :p

It's alright, I also did what I claimed you had done and overreacted myself. All is well that ends well, let's just hope we keep winning!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

New Kid on the Block

The irony to this thread is that Brighton have Tim Krul on their bench, whom I considered to be the best goalie in the Premier League, when he played for Newcastle. He hasn't played for them yet. I'd love him to be ours.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on November 23, 2017, 05:21:58 AM
The irony to this thread is that Brighton have Tim Krul on their bench, whom I considered to be the best goalie in the Premier League, when he played for Newcastle. He hasn't played for them yet. I'd love him to be ours.

My oh my do they really!? Would snap him up as well!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

gang

I certainly hope we sign someone better January.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gang on November 23, 2017, 06:17:54 PM
I certainly hope we sign someone better January.

I have to say with due respect to Button, but unless he addresses his shortcomings immediately, and gets on top of his game overall, and if Betts gets his opportunity, and fails to take it showing no improvement, then we have no choice.
Even so if a better keeper becomes available in the Window, we have to go for him.

Never forget your Roots.

ffcthereligion

Button is an embarrassment and the sooner he leaves the club the better.

Woolly Mammoth

Where is Alex Mccarthy, Did he end up at Southampton?

Never forget your Roots.

Scrumpy

I'll always support whoever wears the jersey. But for me, Betts edges it.

It can't be coincidence that we had such a great run at the end of last season, with Betts in goal. For me, he talks much more to the back 4, organising them all the time. Also, he mixes up his distribution with throws, roll outs and cheeky chips to the touchline. Both areas that Button does not excel at.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Twig

Quote from: Count Flapula on November 22, 2017, 01:18:52 PM
[quote author=Twig link=topic=62602.msg914224#msg914224 date
Betts dealt pretty well with crosses in the latter half of last season.  I understand your concern but I think it is based on an outdated view.

Sorry but I was at the games and he just didn't - he definitely still flapped at multiple crosses. When he came in he did well overall but was still decidedly dodgy on crosses - luckily it didn't cost us a goal during his run. That was behind a defence with more confidence as well - now we are leaking goals and other than last night Button has been solid all season. EVERY GK has a bad game at some point, dropping them after one bad game is knee jerk and can cause more harm than good.
[/quote]

Well we will just have to agre to disagree on this.

Denver Fulham

Both of our keepers are mediocre, but I think Betts deserves a runout tomorrow -- assuming he's shown well in practice. When Button stops doing even the basic things consistently well, then his position should be up for grabs. Part of the reason we haven't kept a clean sheet at home for a year or whatever is Button very rarely makes saves he's not supposed to make. So we give up a couple big chances a match, and at least one ends up in the net. Would Betts be better? Not sure, but maybe hot hand rules for a few matches and we get on a good run of points gained. We're 14th in the league. It's not like Button has been the reason we're in a playoff position or whatever.

The Old Count

Quote from: ffcthereligion on November 24, 2017, 12:38:48 PM
d

Bit harsh - He's saved us more points than he's lost us this season.

EastEndWhite

Quote from: The Old Count on November 24, 2017, 07:30:13 PM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on November 24, 2017, 12:38:48 PM
d

Bit harsh - He's saved us more points than he's lost us this season.

And the fans recognised this by voting him MOTM on a couple of occasions.

Burt

The way the team have been instructed to play is out from the back, even if (like Millwall did) the opposition push up high to stop us playing out from the back.

When this happens, it leads to it's fair share of hospital passes, with the goalie and backs put under immediate pressure.

The theory is that at least you have possession, whereas a punt up field will as likely be mopped up by the opposition as not.

So I was not one of those giving Button a hard time yesterday. It's the way Slav has set the team up to play.

Shame to see that some in the crowd are getting on Button's back and giving him grief, come what may. Can't do him or the rest of the lads any favours.

Whilst Button has an occasional bad day at the office (I don't think he played particularly well at Sheff Utd for example), there have been more occasions where he has been solid and saved us points - more than he has lost us.

RaySmith

Button's sometimes not confident seeming playing out from the back, and this can seem risky, but it's obviously manager's instructions to  do this.

But getting on Button's back  only makes the problem worse, I think - makes him more  nervous.

Agree with Burt, although his mistakes have lost us a few points, he has more often saved us points, sometimes in the same game.

Jimsbeerbelly

If anyone thinks Bettinelli is the answer, then they need to think again. I believe fans want to see a change, just for the sake of it, but, unfortunately, you're just replacing one issue with another.

Button isn't great, we all know that, I'm not a fan of him myself, but, Bettinelli, is no better. I could understand if his kicking, catching, commanding, distribution, confidence was head and shoulder above Button, but it's not.

By making these changes to an already frail team, from what I see is a like for like change, you risk unsettling the team again.

I just seriously hope that one, if not both are replaced in the up and coming transfer windows.