Author Topic: So how long has Slavisa realistically got?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Facts Not Fiction

• Lakey/Dark Room
Re: So how long has Slavisa realistically got?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
Jokanovic’s term as manager has been very inconsistent. We’ve seen the very worst turn to the very best and now once again, turned to the worst.

Why keep a manager for the rest of the season, when realistically, we aren’t going to achieve anything. May as well let a new guy analyse the squad for 6 months.

And for all his good, Jokanovic is incredibly naive and has proven to be very argumentative to the board.

It’s not like Jol/Magath when you were desperate for them to go, but Jokanovic is showing no signs of improvement, and the players seem to have given up.

If I had a choice between now and the end of the season, I’d choose now.

Offline Wearethewhites

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:44 PM »
I don’t feel he’s the right type of manager to get us out this division, and the owners also need to analyse this.

A reasonable post but I cannot agree with this part at all.
He got Watford out of the division, He got us into the play-offs in 2017 (best team in the league for the majority of the season and favourites to win those play-offs) and We went into this season 2nd favourites to go up... he clearly has the necessary blueprint but it's just not working at the moment

Ok, fair enough, but can’t you argue that he was handed a ridiculously good team at Watford? I mean, 3 of the best strikers in the division then, that only we could dream of today.

If Slav was that good, then surely he’d be getting the best out of this current bunch, which I don’t feel he is, he’s very off with team and player selections.

I mean, Johansen as a false no.9?? If you’re that hard up, then Graham or Mollo would make more sense.

For me, he got lucky at Watford, but, doesn’t have, or carry the traits, of a Warnock type manager, that can work or motivate lesser players.

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »
I don’t feel he’s the right type of manager to get us out this division, and the owners also need to analyse this.

He got Watford out of the division, He got us into the play-offs in 2017 (best team in the league for the majority of the season and favourites to win those play-offs) and We went into this season 2nd favourites to go up... he clearly has the necessary blueprint but it's just not working at the moment

Ok, fair enough, but can’t you argue that he was handed a ridiculously good team at Watford? I mean, 3 of the best strikers in the division then, that only we could dream of today.

If Slav was that good, then surely he’d be getting the best out of this current bunch, which I don’t feel he is, he’s very off with team and player selections.

I mean, Johansen as a false no.9?? If you’re that hard up, then Graham or Mollo would make more sense.

For me, he got lucky at Watford, but, doesn’t have, or carry the traits, of a Warnock type manager, that can work or motivate lesser players.

Very true.

You appoint Jokanovic as a short term fix. Much like Pardew and Jose.

Offline davew

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »

Good points. Was his decision making just as questionable last year? I wasn't part of this board last year, but I watched every match.
His decision making wasn't questionable last year, he had a squad of players (not selected by him) that excelled with quite a few performing well above their own individual abilities, but as a team and with the style of play that was adopted were brilliant!! There perhaps is part of the problem, us fans then think well this season the only way is up, but no!!!! We sell 2 of our best players, no need to remind everybody who they were and they were not replaced by players of the same quality while other teams strengthened their squads as they do in the Premier league, natural progression. Our problem this year (in my opinion) is mainly 2 reasons, 1 have already mentioned (poor transfer window) and secondly injuries!! If we had suffered the same number of injuries last season to key players, we would have been a mid table side!

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Offline Newry FFC

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »
you can have all the crazy subs you want; the lack of motivation, lack of tactics and coaching, and square pegs in round holes etc, but who is there at the club to actually evaluate Slav? To actually analyse his performance? Yes Khan might swoop in once a year and sack a manager, but who analyses Slav week in week out, like for example the players would be?

Is there a football person above him at the club to challenge him and question him on daft decisions which he is CLEARLY making or like a word in his ear to give him regular performance based feedback.

I don't know the structure but does anyone else at the club have the first notion about managing a club or being a head coach, Along with balancing the duties of head coach versus all the hassle of Kline, absent owners, poor Pre season etc.

As woeful a job as he may be doing, and I do believe someone else could come in and do the core simple basics , and start achieving results, there is no one to tell him off, to give him a warning, to give him performance based feedback, and therefore how can you sack someone you have done a p155 poor job at supporting and supplying decent support mechanisms???

Offline Milo

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Well for me it comes down to whether he still has the dressing room. If yes, then stick with him and this is an overreaction. If no.. then I guess start the timer...

Offline ScalleysDad

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »

He got very lucky at Watford. His arrival coincided with a mega slump in what was previously Division winning form. I remember they arrived at the Cottage having taken something like 9 points from 27 but they tore us apart  five nil. The story at the time, as told to us by the journo sitting behind us in The P2 Enclave, was that Abdi and Deeney had a meeting with Club officials where they expressed concerns over not playing the fast flowing football they were used to. Someone will look it up I suspect but didn't they go on to only lose only a handful of points and only get pipped by Bournemouth, by far the best team in the league that year. He was more carried along than the architect. The sign of a good coach is not doing what Joka does. None of our players are improving and the same mistakes keep occurring. A good coach would have rectified that by now and even with decidedly average players a corner should at least carry some sort of threat.
Jokas support network will undoubtedly point me in the direction of the play offs last year. That would be the golden twelve games or so where Cairney and Stefjo consistently played like Premiership players and key individuals stepped up along the way. Even with that though had Wolves and Leeds not completely imploded we would have finished eight.
The comments about relegation not being possible and "there are worse teams than us" is out there again. Would that be the plucky never say die Burton, the robust battling Bolton and our next two opponents?
I would say the glove no longer fits if indeed it ever did.

Online @jolslover

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
He has improved Fredericks and Ream significantly and got Aluko and Malone playing the best football of there careers. The Lucas Piazon we got was much better than the Lucas Piazon at Reading and it could be argued that is down to Jokas coaching. He is a good coach and i love the way we play under him. only problem IMO is his stubbornness and sometimes his selections/subs but I feel he is the right man definitely.
STH H3

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 11:29:17 PM »
He has improved Fredericks and Ream significantly and got Aluko and Malone playing the best football of there careers. He is a good coach and i love the way we play under him. only problem IMO is his stubbornness and sometimes his selections/subs but I feel he is the right man definitely.

You’re happy being 15th?

You love the fact we’ve scored about 1 a game bar Sheff Utd?

The football this season has been pitiful.

Offline SuffolkWhite

• Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »
Until the end of the season I think. I don't know half of what's gone on in the background but a transfer window and time to turn things around is needed. We ain't going up but lets see if Joka and turn it around.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Offline Mince n Tatties

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »
He will be gone if we lose to Birmingham, I'm certain of that.

Offline Matt10

• tjl
  • Fulham Supporter. Kansas.USA
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:11 PM »

Good points. Was his decision making just as questionable last year? I wasn't part of this board last year, but I watched every match.
His decision making wasn't questionable last year, he had a squad of players (not selected by him) that excelled with quite a few performing well above their own individual abilities, but as a team and with the style of play that was adopted were brilliant!! There perhaps is part of the problem, us fans then think well this season the only way is up, but no!!!! We sell 2 of our best players, no need to remind everybody who they were and they were not replaced by players of the same quality while other teams strengthened their squads as they do in the Premier league, natural progression. Our problem this year (in my opinion) is mainly 2 reasons, 1 have already mentioned (poor transfer window) and secondly injuries!! If we had suffered the same number of injuries last season to key players, we would have been a mid table side!

This is so key and exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it into words. I was so sure this year that we would be top of the table. We play a different type of football that absolutely dominated last year - surely noone's figured it out. Until they did, and then we didn't adjust.

Offline ScalleysDad

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
He has improved Fredericks and Ream significantly and got Aluko and Malone playing the best football of there careers. The Lucas Piazon we got was much better than the Lucas Piazon at Reading and it could be argued that is down to Jokas coaching. He is a good coach and i love the way we play under him. only problem IMO is his stubbornness and sometimes his selections/subs but I feel he is the right man definitely.

Yes and no I suppose. The inconsistencies of all four on that list might indicate the good patches are down to a number of factors like the opposition or the form of the players around them. I think Ream got better as the back line settled in but of late it has been chopped and changed and Kalas slightly off the boil has exposed him a bit. Fredericks can run up and down the wing all day long but the delivery at the end of it is hit and miss and Malone was a bit like that although I did enjoy his obvious enthusiasm and he didn't have the attitude Fred has. Aluko. Now there's a conundrum. Inch perfect to missing the proverbial barn door in the space of a couple of minutes. A good coach picks out the key attributes a player has and fine tunes them so for example Aluko becomes the topic of a phase of play session where he ends up hitting the back of the net nine times out of ten not the other way round. It never happened. Piazon is a fine player and quite possibly a bigger miss than we realise as he was showing there was something about him. I think that is purely instinct and nothing to do with Joka. 

Offline Wingnut

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 12:00:30 AM »

Who can we get to replace him? He'll get til the end of the season, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:03:18 AM by Wingnut »
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Wearethewhites

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 12:03:57 AM »

Who can we get to replace him?

I’m pretty sure there are a few candidates floating around, but, I suspect, the Club hasn't even started looking yet ( Well they won’t, if they’re not getting rid of him ).

Can you even trust them to get rid of Slav, and even have a replacement lined up, because I don’t