News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

He's not popular, I know, but Rui Fonte on Saturday...

Started by Matt10, January 15, 2018, 12:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

I don't want him to fail —- I'm a FFC supporter - I want him to be brilliant

However I am a realist and have paid good money to watch him many times this season and I think his output and performance have been well below what we expect from a £9 m striker

Very nice bloke though - as are most footballers when u meet them - that's not really the criteria though is it ?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Aldo on January 15, 2018, 12:26:27 PM
To be fair he does make a lot of runs and they are never picked up by the midfielders. Perhaps some service from them might help him a little!

Players know how good each other are at things.
Maybe they dont pass to him because they know he will feck it up,he had one powder puff shot Saturday that hit one of their players.

Aldo

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 15, 2018, 01:45:23 PM
Quote from: Aldo on January 15, 2018, 12:26:27 PM
To be fair he does make a lot of runs and they are never picked up by the midfielders. Perhaps some service from them might help him a little!

Players know how good each other are at things.
Maybe they dont pass to him because they know he will feck it up,he had one powder puff shot Saturday that hit one of their players.

Or maybe they are just not up to providing a decent through ball. Preferring instead to pass sideways or backwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJG

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 15, 2018, 01:41:08 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 15, 2018, 01:32:22 PM
All this worry about a striker and we have scored more goals than anyone over last eleven games and joint fourth highest scorers in championship.
As a team we are fine in that regard and he's playing a part in that.

This time last season we had 44 now we have 40 and yet we are a couple of points and a position better. The willingness for some fans to want to see a player fail always shocks me. Some have given up on him, but he maybe still has a big part to play over next 19 games.

Other side of the coin,what happens if we don't score in our next six games,will you say your stats stand up then and we still don't need a striker?
Of course we need a striker end off.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to get another on the books, just that given the way we play its not the be all and end of things. Still feel priority is a CB to add competition to the those we have as for me thats where we are weakest in cover.
Just the views of a long term fan

mrmicawbers

There's a good player in there somewhere in my opinion. I'm hoping he is settling in a new team,new country and new tactics.Hoping it comes good for him as he seems a decent bloke.Not against bringing in some extra firepower though

hovewhite

Quote from: Statto on January 15, 2018, 09:56:13 AM
Quote from: Baszab on January 15, 2018, 09:38:16 AM
Charming bloke ..... maybe a career in PR

Useless footballer for FFC at championship level

Don't see the reason for posts like this.

I'm not his biggest fan, maybe he's not worth £8m or not suited to this league, but He's not "useless" is he. He's a decent player and a good bloke.

We may yet find a role for him if Cairney (who by the way is also a weak fairy) turns out to be permanently crocked.

Even if ends up going back to Portugal on a cut price deal, it will be Craig kline's fault, not Fonte's.

That's harsh and a tad unfair!

Matt10

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 15, 2018, 10:51:58 AM
Indeed I was the fan who first fell through the hoardings. As I looked up he was right there asking if I was alright and tried to help me up. Unfortunately I was stuck where I was!

Sorry you took the tumble! Looks like a couple others as well?

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on January 15, 2018, 02:12:30 PM
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to get another [striker] on the books, just that given the way we play its not the be all and end of things. Still feel priority is a CB to add competition to the those we have as for me that's where we are weakest in cover.
Cannot really disagree with any of that although the essence is still one of crumbs from the table the way things are (half way through the window and nowt).  A also believe we need a decent left back to free up Odoi when necessary.  But what I did think was better on Saturday were the tactics of trying to stifle our opponents in the first half and then Kalas (who can still look iffy at times) coming on to shift Odoi across and allow Sessegnon freedom in wide midfield.   I thought Kamara was weaker than Fonte and didn't use his pace to any real conclusion.  Both of them were also picked up for fouls that the ref was giving nothing to us for when we were on the receiving end.  I do think we miss a fully fit Piazon and Ayite.   

Holders

He's not unpopular with me - I like a skillful player although I accept that he's yet to make a real impact.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

hovewhite

Every squad member should have a role in the run in even if on bench every game.

mouse

This is a difficult one for me.To me and probably thousands of others,he has grossly under achieved.Things nag away at the back of my nut and want to  see him after he has played a full 90 having contributed to make himself man of the match.please Rui.................COYW..

ffcne

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 15, 2018, 10:51:58 AM
Indeed I was the fan who first fell through the hoardings. As I looked up he was right there asking if I was alright and tried to help me up. Unfortunately I was stuck where I was!
They want to do an interview with you check out Fulham Independent site.
Glad i was there the last minute penalty and your fall  an all time Fulham classic.
Great video of the penalty from different angles ,and captures your fall in the clip.

davew

Quote from: Holders on January 15, 2018, 05:08:57 PM
He's not unpopular with me - I like a skillful player although I accept that he's yet to make a real impact.
The main impact he has made is on the fans agreeing that the club wasted an awful lot of money!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Matt10

He's popular now, isn't he? Good things come to good people. Come on Rui!!

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Matt10 on January 20, 2018, 04:59:20 PM

Calm down,he played well today and credit where its due,but that's his first goals since Ipswich and against the team propping up the league.. Let's see him do it on a regular basis now against better sides,and there will be nobody better pleased to be proven wrong than me...Coyw.

Matt10

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 20, 2018, 05:10:17 PM

Calm down,he played well today and credit where its due,but that's his first goals since Ipswich and against the team propping up the league.. Let's see him do it on a regular basis now against better sides,and there will be nobody better pleased to be proven wrong than me...Coyw.

I'm quite excited for him. He deserved it after being so unselfish this season. The second goal he scored was a product of hard work. he made a run after holding the ball up in the midfield, and sprinted deep into the box, and finished.

Let's just accept that everyone out there has something to prove. Goal scoring wasn't just what Rui showed, he showed hold up play and finding teammates well. AK did the same and was rewarded the same. The key is they do not let their past obstacles define them, which is what we witnessed today from individuals, and as a team.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 20, 2018, 05:10:17 PM

To be fair MINCE, he seems to have a good understanding with Piazon, who has been out since his leg break.  Hopefully this is the 'dream-team' we need.  I know you still want another striker...... but if RUI can start to show consistancy, he could well be the 'New Striker' we need?
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

NogoodBoyo

He was MOM today in my book.  And the folks who don't like him are probably the same ones who didn't like Zamora - until he started banging in the goals.
It seems to take many strikers a long time to settle into sides that have very specific systems, as was the case with Hodgson's team and is now the case with Slav's.
Nogood "thinking Rui and Kamara will continue to improve, see" Boyo

MrFFC

Very happy to see Fonte get the goals Saturday it may have been against Burton but it was a very impressive performance he has talent for sure it has been a struggle for him hopefully like Kamara he has settled in now & we will start to see his best form
Come on you Whites!! :)

Forever Fulham

Some posters on this thread should be eating crow about now.  The man's for real.