more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (26/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 26, 2018, 06:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Officials - Barnsley v Fulham (27/1/18)

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Barnsley and Fulham this Saturday.

Barnsley host Fulham on Saturday January 27 for the game at Oakwell and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Andy Davies
Assistant Refs: Paul Hodskinson and Mark Dwyer
Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson

Match Day referee Davies has officiated 16 games so far this season, showing 60 yellow cards and one red card so far.

He took in 38 games in 2016/17 with a return of 136 yellow cards and four red cards.

His highest card count that year was eight yellows in the game between Cardiff City and Aston Villa. He also showed seven yellows and one red in the match between Ipswich Town and Brighton.

He took charge of 36 matches in 2015/16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 127 yellow cards and five red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Charlton and Leeds on December 12 with a total of eight yellow cards being shown. Wimbledon and Notts County on September saw seven yellows and he also showed seven in the November tie between MK Dons and Charlton.

A former player with a number of clubs at youth level, Davies capitalised on this experience to make a rapid rise through the refereeing ranks. He was appointed to the EFL Referees List in 2012/13 and since then has refereed over 100 EFL matches.

Source - EFL.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of the players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.barnsley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=519020#ixzz55GrnVCEr

WhiteJC

Transfer Talk: Brighton reject Fulham bid for Oliver Norwood

The 26-year-old is currently on loan at the club and reports state that the Cottagers want to make the move permanent

Brighton have rejected a bid from Fulham to make Oliver Norwood's loan move permanent, according to Sky Sports News .

Norwood signed for the Cottagers on loan from the Premier League club in July and has gone on to impress at the club, making 27 appearance since his arrival.

The report also claims that the Northern Ireland international would favour staying at Craven Cottage having made just 37 appearances at Brighton since signing from Reading in 2016.

The 26-year-old has gone someway to easing the penalty woes suffered by the club last season, and has become the side's regular penalty taker, with his last securing a 1-0 victory over fellow Play-off chasers Middlesbrough.

Meanwhile, it looks likely that U23 midfielder Mikolaj Kwietniewski is set to complete a move to Legia Warsaw.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-talk-brighton-reject-fulham-14200126

WhiteJC

Transfer Talk: Reports claim Fulham are back in for Derby man Chris Martin

Reports in the north are claiming Fulham are back in for Chris Martin and are confident of signing him

Fulham have allegedly made a move for former loan man Chris Martin, according to reports in the Sunderland Echo .

The 29-year-old looked set to agree a move to Sunderland, but he stalled on the move and has gone to Dubai with his current side for their warm weather training camp.

The Black Cats will speak to the player on his return, but the Echo now claim Fulham have made a move and are confident of brining him back to the Cottage.

The report reads: "And the Echo understands that Fulham have now made a move for Martin and are believed to be confident of bringing the player back to Craven Cottage after his loan spell there last season."

The striker joined Fulham on loan last season from Derby and had an eventful time in SW6, refusing to play for the club as he tried to manoeuvre a way back to his parent club midway through the season.

Fulham refused, however, and he ended the season at the club after Slavisa Jokanovic welcomed him back into the first team fold, but he returned to Derby at the culmination of his loan deal.

The club are on the lookout for a striker this January, with the likes of Lewis Grabban and Dwight Gayle all being linked to Fulham, although the upturn in form of Aboubakar Kamara and Rui Fonte makes the signing of one less important than it was previously thought.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-talk-reports-claim-fulham-14200497

WhiteJC

Inside Oakwell

Barnsley podcast Reds Report discusses what Patrick Cryne meant to those associated with the club, and assess what sort of game we can expect at Oakwell on Saturday.

First off, everyone at Fulham was saddened to hear of Patrick Cryne's passing. Can you try and put into words what he meant to everyone at Barnsley?

Patrick Cryne was our saviour. He not only saved the club from going under, but year on year invested millions in keeping us going. He implemented a new DNA in our recruitment model, one that started paying off with players such as Conor Hourihane, Alfie Mawson and James Bree. In his dying days he ensured the longevity of the club by selling it to a consortium of investors that are sticking to that DNA.
What's been your take on this season so far?

Starting the season with 17 new players (all from lower leagues) was never going to be easy. Some made the step up quickly, others have not. For some the aim was always to stay in the Championship and hold on to the players we've recruited. Wins have been hard to come by and it took some time to find a regular back four.
It's one win in 13 now – what do you attribute that to?

Tom Bradshaw often found himself in a lone striker role and, whilst he works his socks off, he was often too isolated to have an impact. The recent arrival of 6'6" Kieffer Moore hopefully signals to a formation with two strikers.

Which Barnsley players have stood out for you so far?

At Christmas I would have voted for Joe Williams (on loan from Everton) and Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester) as players of the season. Barnes has been recalled by Leicester and Williams is currently sitting out a three-match suspension!
Are you expecting much business before the transfer window closes?

Paul Heckingbottom has made no secret of the fact that we need players that improve the team. Kieffer Moore and Dani Pinillos are the first two to arrive. Rumours of an imminent new French signing are doing the rounds at Oakwell...
What did you make of the Fulham-Barnsley fixture last month?

The second Fulham goal from Sheyi Ojo when we played at Craven cottage was well deserved as he caused us issues.

Which Fulham players do you think could cause you problems on Saturday?

Ryan Sessegnon is a talent of the highest order and if not contained can spur Fulham on to score at will.
Where can away fans go for a pre-match pint?

The Metrodome (leisure complex next to the ground) is normally the designated away supporters' watering hole. You can of course have a pint inside Oakwell as well.
How do you see the game going?

In all honesty, emotions are running high following the loss of Patrick and, if anything, we would love nothing more than to get three points on the board for him. I voted for Fulham last year as the best team we faced home and away, while your six-goal haul last week and our catastrophic first 10 minutes against Aston Villa mean Fulham are very much the favourites. We denied Wolves a single attempt on target two weeks ago and we need to be at our best to get a similar result. My heart wants three points, my head says to beat a seventh place Fulham we need to be at our very best. I'll settle for a 93rd minute Barnsley winner 😁
What score prediction are you going for?

Score draw; 1-1. Hoping for a great match and we would love for all visiting supporters to "shine a light for Patrick" on 66 minutes.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/25/inside-oakwell

WhiteJC

Brighton and Hove Albion turn down bid from Fulham for Oliver Norwood

Albion have rejected a bid from Fulham to make Oliver Norwood's loan move permanent.

The Argus understands the Championship club's offer is nowhere near the Seagulls' valuation of the Northern Ireland international midfielder.

Norwood still has 18 months left on his contract with Albion.

They are reluctant to lose him without knowing which league they will be playing in next season.

Norwood, signed on a free transfer from Reading two summers ago, joined Fulham on loan for the season in July after 16 starts and 17 sub appearances in Albion's Championship promotion campaign.

The 26-year-old has been a regular at Craven Cottage, contributing five goals in 26 league games to help them to within a point and a place of the Championship play-off places.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15897143.Albion_turn_down_Fulham_bid_for_Norwood/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham make formal approach for Derby's Chris Martin, confident of securing deal

The Derby County hitman is wanted by Sunderland and Wolverhampton Wanderers, but Fulham have reportedly entered the race for his signature.

The Cottagers have made a formal approach to the Rams for Chris Martin, according to the Sunderland Echo, and are confident of getting a deal for the 29-year-old striker over the line.

The Scotland international has been far from prolific this season, scoring just one goal in 23 Championship appearances, although 18 of those outings have come from the substitutes bench.

Slaviša Jokanović will surely be looking to bolster his attacking ranks at Craven Cottage this month, with his side sitting just one point adrift of the play-off places.

An injection of both quality and experience could prove to be vital to their hopes of achieving promotion, and Martin could be just the man for the job.

He spent last season on loan with Fulham, and enjoyed a fairly successful time in west London, scoring 10 goals in 31 league outings.

The Sunderland Echo claim that the Cottagers have joined the likes of Sunderland and Wolves in the race for the 29-year-old's signature, and that they are confident of bringing him to Craven Cottage.

Martin would offer Fulham something different in forward areas, what with his physical approach to the game, and he could turn out to be a really significant signing for them, if they manage to get a deal over the line this month.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/25/report-fulham-make-formal-approach-for-derbys-chris-martin-confi/

WhiteJC

Brighton And Hove Reject Fulham's Move For 26 Y/O Midfielder: Does He have A Future At Amex?

Newly promoted Brighton and Hove Albion are enjoying life in the Premier League. One of the lesser talked about teams; Brighton and Hove Albion have gone about doing their job quietly. They had gotten off to a decent start, so much so that they were in a lofty 8th place after 11 rounds of the league. However, even with things falling since, they have managed to cling on. For a club whose aim this season certainly will be to survive the relegation fight, they have done well.

After twenty-four-game weeks Brighton and Hove Albion find themselves in the 16th position on the table. They have played decent football so far in the league and have collected five crucial wins. After losing to Arsenal in the beginning of October last month, they were unbeaten for five matches.

However, latest results have left the club reeling for a turnaround. Just one win and 7 defeats in their last 12 matches mean that Brighton are free falling and need to find their form soon. The club's biggest problem has been in front of goal with the Seagulls proving to be a goal-shy team. Last week's club record signing seemed to have put an end to their manager Chris Hughton's worries as they signed Dutch striker Jurgen Locadia for a club record fee.

With their winter business set, the manager would have been preparing for a challenge to stay up in the league. However, Hughton now has another transfer business to worry about with Fulham seeking to take away their midfielder Oliver Norwood on a permanent deal.

The 26-year-old has spent the season on loan at Craven Cottage scoring 5 goals from midfield. The Lilywhites are looking to add more quality to their midfield to challenge for a playoff position come May and were hoping to make the deal for Norwood permanent.

As for the player, he himself was excited about his loan spell and given the game time he has been given, the Northern Ireland midfielder would not mind a permanent transfer.

"It suits the way I like to play," he had said. "Once I knew of the interest I was desperate to get it done and I am very happy to be here."

Brighton however, it would seem is unwilling to lose the in-form midfielder on a permanent basis and hence has rejected the deal. They will have a hard job holding on to the player, however, as they are unlikely to give him a first-team berth despite his form. With another week still to go before the window shuts, Brighton might just change their stance on a player for whom they do not really have much space in the team.

http://the4thofficial.net/2018/01/brighton-hove-reject-fulhams-move-oliver-norwood-accepted-deal-instead/

WhiteJC

Strikes, train stations and Chrissie - Remember Derby man Chris Martin's spell at Fulham?

We've taken a look back at the season Chris Martin spent at Fulham - which was never boring to say the least

Chris Martin and Fulham - it's a story you'd expect to find on the pages of a book rather than the pitch at Craven Cottage.

Strikes, train stations and Chrissie, last season had it all, and it was a thriller that even Agatha Christie would've been proud of writing.

He's now been linked with a move back to SW6 by reports in the north after he looked set to secure a move to struggling Sunderland, so we thought we'd use it as an excuse to have a look back at the year that was for Martin and Fulham.

August 2016 - Martin joins on loan

Fulham added Martin to their ranks in a deadline day double swoop in August 2016, signing both him and Lucas Piazon on loan deals until the end of the season.

He had scored 40 goals in 80 games under Steve McClaren between 2013-15 but had failed to score in six under Nigel Pearson - allowing him to move to Fulham.

The club also had an option to sign Martin at the end of his loan deal for £9m.

December 2016 - Martin makes himself 'unavailable'

Fulham travelled to Reading on a Friday night (a game that was eventually abandoned due to fog) but Martin had made himself 'unavailable' for the tie.

The game was abandoned at half time, with the score 0-0, due to fog, but this was just the start for the Martin story.

Slavisa Jokanovic went on to say that Fulham "wasn't a train station" and that Martin would continue to stay at Fulham - regardless of whether he wanted to return to Derby.

He said: "I'm not going to send him back to Derby - he's going to stay with us and respect the contract," said Jokanovic.

"He stopped in training, but I have information from the medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off."

He continued to BBC Radio London: "We're not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, we are the oldest London club.

"I don't know if he will play for Fulham, but I'm sure he's not going to play for Derby."

Fulham celebrate Chris Martin's goal (Image: Get Reading)

January 2017 - "I know how much Chrissie loves Derby"

Martin signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal at Derby, but Jokanovic remained adamant he wouldn't be leaving.

He missed three games after making himself unavailable but was allowed to return to the first team and scored twice in three matches, missing two penalties too.

And the new Derby boss, McClaren, went on to say: "I know how much Chrissie loves Derby and I am really pleased that he has accepted the offer to extend his deal. I look forward to working with him again once he returns," McClaren said.

Martin said: "I am very happy that the club and the manager see me as part of the long-term future. I am committed to being as successful as I possibly can be with Derby County.

"I enjoyed playing under Steve McClaren in the past and I feel that he got the best out of me, so I look forward to doing so as soon as possible."

April 2017 - Martin gets sent off at Norwich

Fulham continued their charge to the Play-offs, but Martin was sent off with the side 1-0 up at Norwich after elbowing Mitchell Dijks late in the first half as he challenged for a long ball.

He was banned for three games as Fulham continued pressing for the top six - a feat they achieved before the final game of the season.

He finished the season with just one goal in 13 appearances.

Chris Martin (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

July 2017 - 'I came out of it in a positive manner'

Martin spoke in the summer about his loan move, saying he felt he came out of his time with Fulham in a positive manner.

He told Rams TV: "Ultimately I came out of it in a positive manner," he said. "I can come back to a club I've had success with and hopefully can have even more and can push over the line that we haven't quite managed to so far."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/strikes-train-stations-chrissie-remember-14200741

WhiteJC

Midfielder says games in new competition will be tough

Northern Ireland midfielder Oliver Norwood is looking forward to facing Austria in particular in the UEFA Nations League.

The Northern Ireland squad had training camps in Austria in the build-up to Euro 2016 and before the World Cup 2018 qualifying campaign got under way.

Norwood said: "We really enjoyed the camps in Austria so it will be nice to go there to play a game. They are a good side so it's definitely one to look forward to."

He also said he was looking forward to facing Bosnia and Herzegovina home and away this autumn in Group 3 within League B.

The midfielder, who is currently on loan at Fulham from Brighton, added: "They will be tough games. Both teams have very good players. Arnautovic and Alaba are two that really stand out for the Austrians, while Bosnia's Pjanic and Dzeko are top, top players. And it's always good to test yourself against so-called bigger teams."

Norwood feels the Nations League will be a great alternative to international friendlies. "It's always good to have games that have a competitive edge. It's good that there is promotion and relegation," he said.

The new competition for Europe's 55 national teams is aimed at strengthening national team football by replacing most friendlies with competitive matches and by allowing countries to play against equally ranked teams, according to European football's governing body.

https://www.irishfa.com/news/2018/january/norwood-keen-to-tackle-nations-league-challenge

WhiteJC

International Hospitality

Watch international football at Craven Cottage in style, with Matchday Hospitality packages available for Colombia v Australia.

Live International football returns to SW6 on Tuesday 27th March, (8pm) as Colombia and Australia go head-to-head in a World Cup warm-up at Craven Cottage.

Enjoy some of the best views of the pitch with Directors' Area seating to watch the action unfold, followed by food and drink in one of our premium hospitality lounges.

Alternatively, secure your own private balcony seats with an Executive Box. Looked after by a dedicated hostess, here you can invite up to 10 guests and enjoy food and complimentary drinks.

Priced from £120 per person, secure your Matchday Hospitality package today online, by emailing [email protected] or calling 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/25/international-hospitality

WhiteJC

Martin deal U turn

The on going saga of the transfer destination of Rams striker Chris Martin has thrown up a surprise and he could well be heading for promotion rivals Fulham

It was widely regarded that Martin was going on a season long loan to Sunderland but the latest interest in his services has been from his former loan club Fulham.

Martin spent a troubled season long loan at Craven Cottage last year and when not at odds with the management made 31 appearances and scored 10 goals for Fulham.

With the Cottagers now in with a chance of a play-off place this season a permanent deal for Martin would possibly be seen by Mrtin and Fulham as the better deal than a loan to Sunderland. Derby County on the other hand will not be keen to give a proven striker to any potential rivals for promotion.

http://www.footymad.com/derby-county/news/tmnw/martin_deal_u_turn_914552/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Chris Martin will NOT be returning to Fulham, says boss Slavisa Jokanovic

The Derby County striker had been linked with a second loan spell at Craven Cottage

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has ruled out the prospect of Derby County striker Chris Martin returning to Craven Cottage.

Martin spent the majority of last season on loan with Fulham, scoring 11 goals in 34 appearances and helping the team reach the Sky Bet Championship play-offs.

The Scotland international returned to Derby in the summer but is set to leave the club again after dropping down the pecking order under manager Gary Rowett.

A loan move to Sunderland appeared to be close but, according to reports, that deal is now in doubt.

The Sunderland Echo claimed that Fulham were keen to sign Martin for a second time.

But Jokanovic gave that suggestion short shrift, simply stating: "Martin won't come back to Fulham."

Martin has also been linked with Reading, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Leeds United, Cardiff City and Norwich City.

Chris Martin in action for Fulham last season

The 29-year-old has found his first-team chances at Derby limited this season.

He did not feature in the squad for the Rams' goalless draw with Bristol City last Friday night.

Speaking about the striker's future after the game, Rowett said: "We have some strong interest in him, and Sunderland are one of those teams, but until the player decides he wants to go somewhere and signs on the dotted line, whether that is a loan or a permanent deal, then he is our player.

"If Chris wants to leave and he gets an opportunity to do so, then we will support that decision."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-martin-fulham-sunderland-derby-1118071

WhiteJC

Fulham will NOT be signing Sunderland target Chris Martin from Derby County

GetWestLondon understands that Fulham have not made a move for Chris Martin

Fulham have no interest in signing Sunderland target Chris Martin this January.

Reports from the north had claimed the Cottagers had made a move for the 29-year-old and were confident of signing him from Derby, but manager Slavisa Jokanovic has poured cold water on those rumours today.

Martin and Fulham have a colourful past after they signed him on loan last season with the option to purchase him for £9 million at the end, but a refusal to play and a new contract at Derby soured his time at the Cottage.

Sunderland have been heavily linked with Martin, as have Reading, but Fulham will not be making any move for the striker this January.

Jokanovic said: "Martin won't come back to Fulham. I make no comments on different rumours."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-not-signing-sunderland-target-14201024

WhiteJC

Davies: Learn To Adapt

Fulham's Under-23s impressively beat Middlesbrough 2-0 on Wednesday afternoon at Rockliffe Park.

"It's a tough old place to come up here, especially with the conditions today," commented PL2 Captain Aron Davies after the match.

"It was incredibly windy for the first half, especially the opening 20 minutes. So it was all about learning to adapt to that.

"I thought thought that as soon as we switched onto it, we played very well and ground out the result we needed.

"The first half was always going to be more difficult for us playing into the wind, the lads did very well to defend and keep a clean sheet.

"The second half we were able to take the chances that came our way and we defended very well again to take all three points."

The Whites have found a rich vein of form, unbeaten in nine and winning seven of those. Davies has formed a strong partnership at the back with Rob Atkinson, who joined the Club in September.

"I think we linked up well as soon as he joined," Davies said. "We took onto each other and we've been solid at the back recently."

Seven PL2 matches remain this season for the Whites, and two of them are next week with an away trip to West Bromwich Albion on Monday, followed by a home tie to Blackburn Rovers on Friday.

"They will be tough games. Northern sides are never easy, it will be battle and something we are looking forward to."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/25/davies-learn-to-adapt

WhiteJC

Jokanovic says Fulham 'can't relax'
by Dan on January 25, 2018

A focused Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted his Fulham side can't relax after thumping Burton Albion last weekend – reminding his players they have 'achieved nothing at the moment'.

The Serbian head coach admitted his pleasure at the 6-0 win over the Championship's bottom club, but he recognises that there will be tougher tests to come – perhaps starting with Saturday's trip to Oakwell to face Barnsley. Jokanovic told his pre-match press conference this afternoon:

We played very well and our plan is working perfectly we can be satisfied with this game but it's now so far and part of history. In football we don't find perfect days too much, we show many positives and show promise and improvement. We must focused, we can't be overconfident – we must be ready to work hard.

There are 18 games left, we [have] achieved nothing at the moment. We arrived in the top six in the last few games last season – it's always tough. When we work well we can improve ourselves. Everyone around myself is working hard and at the end we show improvement and can play better than what we played a few months ago.

We cannot relax, we beat Burton because we respected them and were really focused. Odoi, Kalas and Ream caught [their] perfect level against Burton. If we are more clinical everything is more easy for the team.

Jokanovic knows his team will in for a tough test against the Tykes this weekend.

Barnsley are a very aggressive team and will try to take advantage of any mistakes. We need to be intelligent, brave and don't give them any chances.

He confirmed that Fulham will be without Sheyi Ojo and Floyd Ayite for Saturday's clash but that he expects captain Tom Cairney to be available for selection after coming off the bench against Burton last weekend.

The Fulham boss also hinted that Matt Targett, who arrived on loan from Southampton on Monday, might start at left back on Saturday.

Matt Targett can be important player for us, he's young and talented with Premier League experience. In these few days he's shown that quality and we believe he will adapt fast. It depends on [our] game plan, but his natural position is left back and I will have more options for my team.

Jokanovic also scotched suggestions that Scotland striker Chris Martin could be in line to reprise his loan move to Craven Cottage of last year. The Fulham manager was forthright in ruling out a return for Martin, who refused to play for the Whites this time last year.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/jokanovic-says-fulham-cant-relax/

WhiteJC

Liverpool man remains sidelined as Fulham prepare for Barnsley clash without Floyd Ayite too

Sheyi Ojo and Ayite to miss trip to Oakwell

Fulham will be without both Floyd Ayite and Sheyi Ojo as they head to Barnsley on Saturday.

The Liverpool loanee missed the 6-0 victory over Burton with a tweak and won't be ready for Saturday, while Ayite is expected back in the side for the next game against Nottingham Forest.

Tom Cairney also looks set to be included in the squad, although there are still doubts from Slavisa Jokanovic over how his knee injury is progressing.

He said: "At the moment Sheyi Ojo and Floyd Ayite aren't available for this game.

"This season, we have many up and downs with Tom Cairney, he's been part of the work this week and it's our really important player.

"We try and force the situation to make sure we can use him the game ahead of us, and I expect he will be available to be part of the team for Saturday.

"We expect Ayite to start working next week with us and Sheyi Ojo will need one week more."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-man-remains-sidelined-fulham-14203215

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic reckons Brighton man Oliver Norwood could be a Fulham player next season

Fulham have had a bid rejected for the loanee but Jokanovic remains hopeful he will be at the club next season

Slavisa Jokanovic reckons Oliver Norwood could be a Fulham player next season, despite the club having a bid rejected for the Brighton man.

The 26-year-old is on loan from the Premier League club for the season and the Cottagers have already attempted to make his move permanent, but Brighton are unwilling to sell when they don't know which division they will in next season, as well as their valuation being well above what Fulham have offered.

However, Norwood is happy at the Cottage and would look favourably on a permanent move, while Jokanovic would also like to make him a Fulham player permanently, describing him as an "important player."

He said: "Oliver Norwood is an important player for myself and my team, it's simple because I use him many games.

"He's shown a high level of professionalism and he's a very good player.

"I use him, and I prefer him to stay with us, what I know is he is quiet and he does his job well.

"He will stay with us until the end of the season 100% and I expect he can be our player in the future too."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/slavisa-jokanovic-reckons-brighton-man-14203329

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon is playing at a higher level after injury

The Brazilian has returned to the starting XI after making his comeback from injury and the boss thinks his level of performance is the highest its been

Slavisa Jokanovic has hailed the return of Lucas Piazon, claiming the attacking midfielder is performing at a better level than what he was at when he got injured.

The Brazilian has returned to the Fulham starting XI after recovering from a broken leg he suffered against Leeds in August and got on the scoresheet and provided an assist in the 6-0 demolition job of Burton last weekend.

Slavisa Jokanovic has hailed the return of Lucas Piazon, claiming the attacking midfielder is performing at a better level than what he was at when he got injured.

The Brazilian has returned to the Fulham starting XI after recovering from a broken leg he suffered against Leeds in August and got on the scoresheet and provided an assist in the 6-0 demolition job of Burton last weekend.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-believes-chelsea-loanee-14203966

WhiteJC

Kwietniewski Departs

The Club can confirm that Academy winger Mikolaj Kwietniewski has joined Legia Warsaw for an undisclosed fee.

We wish him all the best for the future.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/25/kwietniewski-departs

WhiteJC

EFL interview: Oliver Norwood on Scholes and Beckham, playing against Kroos and chocolate
IT comes as a surprise to discover that for all his cultured passing and in spite of winning 52 caps for Northern Ireland, Oliver Norwood has never player a minute of Premier League football.

That has been the Sky Bet EFL's gain ever since the midfielder left boyhood club Manchester United for Huddersfield, Reading, Brighton and now on loan at Fulham, who can climb into the Championship play-off positions with victory at Barnsley this weekend.

Now 26, Burnley fan Norwood takes our Sky Bet EFL Q&A this week. He reveals the true genius of Paul Scholes and Toni Kroos, a dislike for Ewood Park and a memorable initiation song performance by former Reading teammate Jamie Mackie.

Were you always a midfielder?

In the academy at (Manchester) United, I was a number 10, just off the front. Then as I got to 15 or 16, I started playing deeper, which I think suits me a lot more than playing further forward because I don't think I've got the pace to play there, to be honest.

Now at Fulham, I drop back to get ball. The manager wants us to do that. That's the way we play as a team. We want to dominate possession. Sometimes he goes a bit crazy about us playing a bit too deep at times and wants us to get up the pitch a bit further, but things are going really well at the minute as a group. We've hit good form and hopefully we can continue that.

I was six or seven when I first went to United. I went through to 21. It was a fantastic time and I loved every second of being there and being around the players they had at the time. As a young player looking up to the senior players who were there was just amazing. It was humbling to be able to watch them and towards the end to get to train with that calibre and quality of player. Just seeing the winning mentality they had.

They treated every single training session as if it was their last one and they had to win. That's something that I learned and I think a lot the lads did who came through the academy did, making sure that you are at your best every single day and that you don't come off the training pitch disappointed that you haven't done enough.

Best moment on a football pitch?

It will have to be the game in the Euros for Northern Ireland when we beat Ukraine (2-0 in June 2016). That was just incredible. We went into the tournament with people saying that we didn't deserve to be there, that we wouldn't get a point, that it was embarrassing.

To prove people wrong is always nice in any walk of life, but when you are part of a group who had got there with Northern Ireland and you see what it means to a country and to a group of players and staff, it was unbelievable being stood on that pitch at the end. It was like we had won the Euros actually. You don't appreciate it as such at the time, but now when you look back and see highlights, you think: "Wow."

We were disappointed after playing Poland in the first game. It was a big occasion, the first time any of us had been in something like that, the whole build-up was incredible and I think we got caught in the headlights a little bit.

We didn't perform, so the next couple of days Michael (O'Neill) went right back to the drawing board to say how did we qualify, what did we do well? We had played arguably better teams than Ukraine in the qualifying group and we just felt that nothing could stop us running around and getting the ball forward quickly. They don't like that style of play and obviously it's not very pleasing on the eye at times, but we won the game and progressed through to the last 16.

It's great to be part of the Northern Ireland team with what we've achieved so far and coming so close again to getting to the World Cup and now we've got the fantastic news this week that Michael's not going to Scotland. He saw sense and we're happy.
Is there one regret you need to put right?

No, I don't live with any regrets in life in general. I take each day as it comes and whatever will be, will be.

I was part of the Brighton team last year that got promoted and obviously I'm now on loan at Fulham, but that's just about different people's opinions. It's life. You can't worry about that. You just get on with the job and do the best you can. Hopefully I can get promoted this year with Fulham and then stay here.

If I don't ever manage to play in the Premier League, that wouldn't be my fault, it would be down to different people's opinions. You can't regret things that are out of your control. I can't control if I'm going to play Saturday or next Tuesday. It's up to managers, it's their opinions.

Northern Ireland beat Ukraine at the Euros

Hardest opponent?

Toni Kroos, for Germany. He's unbelievable. It was just a pleasure to see the way he plays and the way he controls the whole speed of the game. I probably shouldn't have been watching him because I was trying to get close to him.

We played against him three times in an 18-month period and every game he got better. It's just a different level. If he wants the game to go quick, he'll play quick. If he wants to slow it down, he'll slow it down. He'll play one-touch, two-touch, three-touch. I don't know how he does it, but you don't play for Real Madrid, win the World Cup and the Champions League three times if you're not a fantastic footballer.

By the third time I played against him I still couldn't get to him because he'd just go deeper and deeper and deeper down the pitch. It's difficult against Germany because they pull you all over the pitch, they work you so hard, they make the pitch so big and if you step out at the wrong time, the ball's in behind you and they're running on to the back four. You can't get pressure on them because of the way they play.

You just couldn't read him and people who play at a higher level than me probably think the same.
Least favourite away ground?

Being a Burnley fan, it has to be Blackburn. For obvious reasons. I've played there a couple of times. We won there last year, but I've lost a couple of games there as well.

They don't give me stick because I don't think anybody knows, to be honest, but I'm from Burnley and I followed Burnley quite a bit when I was younger.
What's your guilty food pleasure?

Chocolate. I'm bad for chocolate and sweets. No favourites, just any chocolate or sweets. I've got a real sweet tooth so I'm bad for the desserts. Food-wise, I eat quite well, but that's my downfall. I don't ration myself. That's the problem.

But it's up to you as a person., as long as you're fit and healthy and covering the distances that you should be covering. Obviously as footballers we know that you can't do anything ridiculous anyway. You train every single day and it's important that you perform on a Saturday, so you've got to put the right food in your body during the week to be able to do that.

Oliver Norwood says Toni Kroos is the best players he's come up against

Funniest thing you have seen in a dressing room?

There's all sorts that goes on, isn't there? I've seen so much because I've been in football for 20 years.

Kyle Lafferty is the biggest joker I've ever seen. He's just madness, no matter what time of the day or where we are, he's always messing about joking. Not in a way to offend anybody, it's always good-mannered, but he's not shy to mess about at any point.

Actually, the funniest thing I've ever seen wasn't in a dressing room, it was an initiation song by Jamie Mackie, who's now at QPR, when he came to Reading. He did Geri Halliwell 'It's Raining Men' but he'd not told any of us what he was going to do. He'd gone up to his room before dinner and put a bikini on. As he started singing the song, he came out of the kitchen and he was in a bikini in front of the whole dinner hall. He might not appreciate me saying that, but it was the best thing I've seen. Jamie's a brilliant guy and you can imagine him dancing around in a bikini singing 'It's Raining Men'. That's something you don't see every day.
Boyhood sporting hero?

Paul Scholes. It was probably David Beckham up until the age of 19, 20 when I was getting a bit older and I started training with the first team at United. Scholes was just phenomenal every single day. He was the best player on the pitch by far. (Cristiano) Ronaldo was there, Giggs, it was a team that won the Champions League, but even Ronaldo would be clapping the things that Scholes did during training, so that tells you everything.

Paul Scholes was the player before Toni Kroos who controlled the pace of the game. You'd see teams try and man-mark him in the Premier League, but nobody could get near him. He was three steps ahead of them. He'd play his pass and be off and he'd be having his next pass by the time players went to press him for the first one.

He was just so clever. He knew where everybody was on the pitch before he even received the ball, so he knew where his pass was going before he'd even taken his touch. That's what made him such a good player – the speed of his brain and his quality of passing. He'd smack the ball at 70 miles-an-hour across the pitch into somebody's feet, which would give them so much time to do what they wanted to do. I still think he's the best player I've ever seen as a midfield player.

The academy coach at Man Utd used to give us videos on people in our position, whether it was Carrick, Scholes, Anderson. If you watched Scholes from afar, he'd always have his head up looking around the pitch, always looking where his next pass was going. He'd be receiving the ball from the left-back and he'd already know where the right winger was so that he could open up and hit the pass before anybody else on the pitch had seen it. He'd play passes that the opposition didn't see and probably half of the players he was playing with didn't see. In terms of natural ability, he was just that much ahead of everybody.

I still watch videos of him now and having been in training sessions with him, and against him sometimes, it was just incredible the speed at which he moved the ball.
If you had the power, what one thing would you change about the game?

Some of the goal celebrations are annoying. I wouldn't ban them from football, though. It's probably just me getting a bit older and thinking: "Grow up."

Everyone talks about VAR, but mistakes are part of the game. Us as players make mistakes, we give the ball away, and referees make mistakes at times. That's what gets people talking, that's what gets the debates going. I think you're just going to take all of that completely out of the game. I understand it from the point that there's so much money involved now and if it was us who lost a goal to someone being offside, I completely understand that.

There are arguments for and against VAR, but referees try to do their best and sometimes you don't realise how quickly players are moving, how quickly the ball is moving. At times I feel sorry for them because they've got to watch so many things going on.

I'd say cheating and deceiving match officials because it's hard enough for them as it is. But then it's the culture of British football that is changing and evolving into players trying to be clever and win free-kicks rather than staying on your feet and trying to show that you're strong.

Most embarrassing moment in football?

I'm quite lucky that I haven't had too many – or any. I've not done anything stupid or silly. I've only ever been sent off once, but that was just a bad tackle, nothing embarrassing. I was at Scunthorpe on loan at the time, but I wasn't embarrassed about it.

I do hate initiation songs. Every player will tell you they are embarrassing, apart from Jamie Mackie. He'll tell you it's the best thing ever.
Which player in history would you like to play alongside?

Scholes is my hero, but I've played with him in training so I'll say (Zinedine) Zidane. He revolutionised what it was to be a midfielder. He'd be box-to-box. He'd score goals, make goals. It was just everything about him.

Everyone remembers him for the red card in the World Cup final (in 2006) but they forget that he dinked a penalty over Buffon in the final as well. To do that at that moment, the coolness it takes, just summed him up as a player. He was phenomenal to watch.

I'd just give him the ball and stay out of the way. Tackle and just give it to him.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/910042/EFL-interview-Oliver-Norwood-Paul-Scoles-David-Beckham-Toni-Kroos