watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What do we think of Palace?

Started by HatterDon, February 25, 2018, 02:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

One of the London grounds I never made it to in my time in England, I've enjoyed their support. I think they're the loudest in London. I've been following them since Roy took over and hope they stay up.

What's our history with our South London neighbors? Cordial? Bad blood? Inquiring minds ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Selhurst park was the first pro ground my Dad took me to as Crystal Palace was at the other end of the Trolleybus route which started near where we lived in Sutton. I could then have become a Palace supporter but Dad wasn't too impressed, I think, (they were bottom of Div. 3 (South) at the time and so took me along to CC. When, one week, the fixtures clashed he asked me to make a choice and I made the right one. So I have a little bit of regard for Palace, even if it's only to remind me of a narrow escape.

I looked up the head-to-head results and was surprised to find we have only clashed on 43 occasions (W 17, D 15, L11). This compares with the 70 odd times we have met Charlton, 80+ against Chelsea (I won't print the o/a record!) and 97 times we have played Orient.

I also noted that we have only played QPR 36 times (16,6,14) which, although a robust rivalry may have developed in recent times, fits my recollection that they didn't really register on my radar as a kid except as some obscure outfit who played in rugby jerseys somewhere near White City dogtrack.

Fulham 442

Think their support is great, really loud and virtually non stop. Mind you I wouldn't like to be sat near the bloke with the drum!!

Holders

cmg's stats support my own gut feel that Palace have been largely irrelevant to us because we've tended not to be in the same division (one way or the other). During my own formative years they were most often above us so there's been less scope for "history" in my period of experience. The low number of games against QPR did surprise me but I suppose their greater proximity is the factor there.

You only need one game like Derby, Gillingham or WHU 1975 to create powerful "history".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

Been there a few times. Always had a soft spot for them (don't know why) and now I hope Roy keeps them up. Great manager.

thebumponleroyshead

Never met an annoying palace fan, but say that in Brighton....
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

SP

Back in the 70/80s there was a lot of trouble against Palace but I guess that was the norm back then.  I recall making a hasty exit down the Fulham Palace Road when bumping into a large mob of Palace hooligans.

As a local resident, I attended a game verses Burnley (I think) when they won promotion.  The gate was over 50,000 at Selhurst Park & you literally couldn't move, seriously dangerous.

As for this season, I think they're in real danger of relegation, particularly with Zaha injured.

filham

Always look upon them as inferior to us because in my early years as a Fulham fan they were third division and were  2nd/1st division.
Really hope Roy has a good season with them and are looking forward to playing them next season. (in the Premiership)

Fulhamfan666

don't mind them tbh. Nice ground too.

RaySmith

They were the local team, when I grew up in Brixton, and my parents and family supported them - my uncle was a head steward for years.

Palace, then in Division 4, was the first pro football game I attended, with my mum an dad. I rember standing on a grassy hill behind the goal at the Holmesdale Road end - the terracing just ran out, ending in grass and mud. A young Johnny Byrne, later of West Ham and England, and Fulham, was their star player at the time.

But I was keen to see top flight football and nagged my dad - and Fulham was where he took me, because they had 'the greatest passer of the ball the game has ever seen' -Johnny Haynes. My dad took me a couple of times to the Cottage, and then stopped going, but I fell in love with everything about the place, and became a Fulham fanatic, Palace soon abandoned.

There was some rivalry with Fulham in the 70's, especially after George Best, playing for Fulham at Selhurst Park, broke their captain Ian Evans leg in a tackle- a game I was at.

I still have a soft spot for Palace- they represent my roots, and have a down to earth quality about them and their fans. Always cheer for them against the so called glamour teams of the Prem, and hope, and believe, they will stay up with Roy.

bog

Quote from: Fulham 442 on February 25, 2018, 03:13:34 PM
Think their support is great, really loud and virtually non stop. Mind you I wouldn't like to be sat near the bloke with the drum!!

:plus one:

092.gif

Grumpy Worthing White

Used to go to Palace with some old skool friends none of us really supported Palace it was something to do on a Saturday afternoon when Fulham or Whyteleafe were away, just a journey on the old 197 bus from The Godstone Road to Norwood Junction and a short walk to the ground.

toshes mate

Quote from: Fulhamfan666 on February 25, 2018, 10:03:27 PM
don't mind them tbh. Nice ground too.
Agree.  First went there with a mate who lived in Thornton Heath and remember there was a great pub with a live band close to the ground.  Have also been there when packed and, like most grounds back in those days, you couldn't move.  Hope Roy works his magic for them this season and next so that we can give them a good game or two.....

Bassey the warrior

They have Roy, so they're alright by me.

Skatzoffc

I'm friends with lots of Palace fans so keep an eye on their team.
prob more so now Roy is there.

Would like to see them stay up.
Think they will tbh.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Burt

I have only been once, back in the 70s, the only thing I can remember from the match was when one of their players sustained a broken leg. Nasty injury.

I look out for their results now, purely through the Roy connection...

cmg

My brief, and very young, dalliance with Selhurst Park would have been round about the same time as RaySmith's.
Many people have difficulty in believing when I mention those grassy banks above the terraces, but here they are:

Fortunately Palace rarely attracted the kind of crowds likely to test the safety implications of this amazing arrangement.

Whilst I am in nostalgia mode, I recall seeing one Reg Matthews playing in goal for Coventry. He was then, or was soon to become, the first Third Division player to get a full England cap.
This was in the Scotland v England 1-1 draw in which Leggat and Haynes scored for their respective sides. Matthews, used to playing in front of tiny 3rd Division was so overcome by the famous 'Hampden Roar' from 132,000 fans that he almost fainted and had to be revived by the trainer's smelling salts.
Soon after he was transferred to Chelsea. 

Neil D

Quote from: cmg on February 26, 2018, 01:01:20 PM

Whilst I am in nostalgia mode, I recall seeing one Reg Matthews playing in goal for Coventry. He was then, or was soon to become, the first Third Division player to get a full England cap.

There was a player in the old 4th division who also captained England...

cmg

Quote from: Neil D on February 26, 2018, 02:08:40 PM

There was a player in the old 4th division who also captained England...

:003:....and what a player he was!