more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (30/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 30, 2018, 07:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jokanovic: Fringe players could keep places against Brighton

Slavisa Jokanovic revealed that Fulham's fringe players had moved into contention to feature against Brighton in the Premier League after impressing in the 2-0 victory over Exeter in the Carabao Cup.

The Serbian's team eased into the competition's third round with two goals from Aboubakar Kamara on an evening in which he had changed his entire starting XI.

He handed debuts to summer signings Alfie Mawson and Sergio Rico, the latter in goal, despite Fulham securing their first points of the season in Sunday's victory over Burnley, and his overhaul was rewarded as Ryan Sessegnon, Kamara and Stefan Johansen all excelled.

They visit Brighton on Saturday hoping to further the sense of momentum that is gathering after beginning their season with successive defeats.

And Jokanovic said: "We must be satisfied to win. We are in a process where we could still do a better job, playing faster with less touches and we can show more quality.

"I was really happy with the ambition of the team. Some players could find themselves participating against Brighton on Saturday. We need to find the best starting XI. We can start even quicker and move the ball even faster.

"I am always happy with a player when he scores two goals. Kamara is Kamara, he can offer something to the team that is different. These goals could be important for him."

The fit-again Mawson was replaced by Steven Sessegnon after 75 minutes as Jokanovic focused on match fitness.

Jokanovic said of the substituted central defender's performance: "It was the first time Alfie played with his new team-mates. He showed his quality, power, strength in the air, experience and some organisation too."

The only negative for Fulham, following Kamara's finishes shortly after kick-off and half-time, came when they lost Neeskens Kebano to suspected ligament damage.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-fringe-players-could-keep-places-against-brighton

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Exeter City: Player ratings

Sergio Rico: A largely straightforward debut for the Sevilla loanee as League Two Exeter rarely posed much of a threat to the Fulham goal. Rico was saved by his far post after being beaten by Matt Jay's low drive from distance that nearly gave the Grecians an equaliser shortly after the home side had taken the lead, but other than that he barely had a save to make. His distribution was a little shaky, sending a couple of kicks straight out of play, and he flapped at one second half corner. 6

Cyrus Christie: An energetic showing from the Republic of Ireland international, who frequently bombed on from right back to cause problems in the final third. His driving runs were an effective weapon against Exeter, with his fourth minute shot totally surprising Christie Pym and leading to Fulham's opening goal. Still a little inconsistent with his final ball and probably hasn't done enough to usurp Timothy Fosu-Mensah for a starting spot against Brighton on Saturday. 7

Ryan Sessegnon: The teenager was deployed at left back after only getting a few minutes as a substitute against Burnley on Sunday and was eager to impress from the off. Sent a couple of shots wide in the first half and looked to supplement the Fulham attack as often as he could. Laid on a couple of good chances for Neeskens Kebano by getting to the by-line after the break and looked full of running until the end. Unlikely to displace Joe Bryan at full back and could face a battle to win his spot back from Luciano Vietto following the Argentine's excellent outing at the weekend. 7

Alfie Mawson: The summer signing from Swansea's long-awaited debut was encouraging as he continues his recovery from knee surgery. Resumed his one-time England under-21 international partnership with Calum Chambers at centre back and looked every inch the old-fashioned centre half that Fulham have been lacking. Confident in the air and comfortable with the ball at his feet, it is clear that Mawson will be a fixture in the first time once he has regained that much sharpness. Stayed on for a bit longer than Slavisa Jokanovic had suggested and, barring one moment where he was caught out by Jay, it was an outstanding start in a Fulham shirt. 7

Calum Chambers: An understated display from the Arsenal loanee alongside Mawson. Looked to get on the ball at every opportunity and started a number of attacks from the back. Still a few doubts about his positional sense as he lost track of Exeter's three forwards on a few occasions, but Chambers did produce a couple of crucial blocks in the second period. Might have gone from one of our first choice options at the beginning of the campaign to a reserve once everyone is fully fit. 6

Ibrahima Cisse: The Guinea international got his opportunity at the base of the Fulham midfield and seems to be more attuned to Jokanovic's system than he was last season. Not afraid to get a foot in, Cisse now appears able to start moves off with a cute pass or two and this was a much more mature display than some of his early showings in a Fulham shirt. Still makes some questionable decisions at times and surrendered possession far too simply in a dangerous area of the field that almost led to an Exeter equaliser early in the first half. 6

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa: Plenty to like about the Cameroonian midfielder's all-action display in a more advanced role than the one has filled on his previous two outings for Fulham. Looked a threat carrying the ball forward from debut and displayed plenty of nice touches and an eye for a pass. One brilliant turn and release sent Ryan Sessegnon scampering to the by-line as his set up a second half chance and Anguissa was eager to get a few shots away, although he should have scored when presented with an open goal after Pym had tipped Stefan Johansen's free-kick onto the post. 7

Stefan Johansen: The skipper for the evening was unlucky not to cap a strong performance with a goal late on when Pym did well to turn his curling free-kick from just outside the box onto his near post. Seemed to operation in second gear for much of the contest, but still showed touches of the drive and endeavour that characterised his excellent first two seasons at the club. Made the second goal with a beautiful through ball to release Aboubakar Kamara. 7

Neeskens Kebano: The Congolese international was desperate to impress and buzzed away dangerously drifting in from the left flank all night. He will be desperately disappointed to have picked up an ankle injury when his second half shot was blocked by Aaron Martin – and we hope that it is not as serious as it first appeared. Was perhaps trying too hard to force his way back into Jokanovic's first time plans as he spurned a few good opportunities, but Kebano remains a lively option off the bench. 6

Aboubakar Kamara: The star of the show. The French forward's enthusiasm has always been infectious and the manner in which he took his two goals illustrated just how much he has improved since those early performances following his arrival from Amiens last summer. Showed brilliant reflexes and agility to volley in the rebound from Christie's speculative shot as he put Fulham ahead and some of runs from the right flank were particularly intelligent. Kept up his cool when one-on-one early in the second half and may still have significant improvement in him at the age of 23. 7

Rui Fonte: It just hasn't happened for the Portuguese forward and Fulham and last night's performance encapsulated why. Fonte struggled to get much change out of the Exeter back three as a lone forward, lacking the physicality to win anything in the air and often dropped so deep that he was behind the play. Toiled manfully, but when he did get an opportunity in the six-yard box, his finish lacked conviction and Pym was able to make a good reaction save. 6

Substitutes:

Luca de la Torre (on for Neeksens Kebano, 74): The American showed a few clever touches in a lively cameo after replacing the unfortunate Kebano for the final fifteen minutes or so. 6

Steven Sessegnon (on for Alfie Mawson, 75): The young defender displayed his versatility by slotting in alongside Chambers at centre back and even ventured forward with a couple of mazy dribbles as he got more first-team minutes under his belt. 6

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/fulham-2-0-exeter-city-player-ratings/

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson scouting report: New signing impresses on debut in Carabao Cup

The 24-year-old made his first start in a Fulham shirt as his new side beat Exeter City 2-0 in the Cup - here's how we thought he got on

Alfie Mawson made his debut for Fulham in their Carabao Cup tie with Exeter City after his £15million move from Swansea City over the summer.

The centre half put in a commanding display in his 75-minute spell as he stepped us his recovery from a knee injury that he suffered in south Wales and looked every bit the Premier League defender.

Slavisa Jokanovic started both him and Calum Chambers in the heart of defence, continuing their partnership that flourished in the European U21 Championships in 2017.

He was rarely threatened by Exeter's strikers and was subbed for Steven Sessegnon on the 75 minute mark, marking another step in the road to recovery.

Here's how he got on:

0-15 minutes

First test came immediately as Exeter pumped a long ball forward, but good communication between Mawson and Sergio Rico saw the English defender head the ball comfortably back.

A few minutes later Exeter tried their luck in the air, but Mawson was dominant and cleared the ball with a great header.

Looked really comfortable on the ball and in possession as Fulham looked to pass the ball about and pick Exeter off.

Bit of a communication issue from a cross with Rico where the keeper looked like he wanted to come, but Mawson made sure to clear the ball with another big header.

15-30 minutes

Continued looking to get onto the ball and play out from the back.

Very nearly opened his account for the side as he looked to connect with a Ryan Sessegnon corner, but his big leap was inches away from connecting.

Continued to deal well with the high ball into the box that Exeter continued to pump in.

30-45 minutes

This was a quiet period for Mawson who didn't see much of the ball as Fulham starved Exeter of any real chances or threats.

His communication at the back was constant, however, and he was in dialogue with the central defenders and Chambers constantly.

Made a brilliant double tackle on the 42nd minute that stopped Exeter in a dangerous position and set Fulham on a break which nearly resulted in a goal.

45-60 minutes

Started the second half well and played a lovely ball over the top for Kamara to latch onto, which nearly ended up with Neeskens Kebano firing home.

60-75 minutes

Had another goal scoring chance in the 67th minute as he created space for himself to win the header in the box, but his effort was wide of the goal.

Was subbed for Steven Sessegnon to cap off a really strong opening display.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/alfie-mawson-scouting-report-new-15083451

WhiteJC

Being closer to home 'a big thing' for Mawson

Alfie Mawson says returning closer to home played a big role in his decision to join Fulham from Swansea this summer.

Having been linked with West Ham and Burnley following the Swans' relegation last season, the 24-year-old from Hillingdon signed a four-year deal at Craven Cottage, with Slavisa Jokanovic's system also attracting him.

Mawson, who marked his debut with a clean sheet in Tuesday's Carabao Cup victory over Exeter, told the matchday programme: "I had other options – I'm not going to name the teams – but Fulham just ticked so many boxes. I'm originally from Hillingdon, west London, so that was a big thing.

"The style of play was massive for me. It's similar to the way England play."

Despite being relegated from the Premier League, the former Brentford centre-back impressed for the Swans last season – so much so that Gareth Southgate included him in his England squad for friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy in March.

Although he did not feature in either match and a knee operation ruled him out for the summer, Mawson is ready to hit the ground running again on his return to full fitness.

"Getting another call-up remains an aspiration of mine," he said.

"I feel fit and now it's about working on game-like situations and scenarios in training that you can't really do in rehab. I'm in a really good place and I'm feeling great.

"Hopefully with this club we can establish ourselves in the Premier League and kick on from there. But for the next couple of seasons, we need to be solid and make sure that we maintain our top-flight status."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/being-closer-to-home-is-a-big-thing-for-mawson

WhiteJC

Everton Tickets

Fulham travel to Goodison Park to take on Everton on Saturday 29th September, kick-off 3pm.

Tickets for this fixture are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members on a loyalty point basis.

On sale dates are staggered, culminating with all Season Ticket Holders and Members being able to purchase - subject to availability - from Friday 7th September.

Supporters are advised to check the full on-sale schedule with Loyalty Points information below.

On Sale DateOn Sale Group
10am, Wednesday 29th August    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 700+ points (2 per person)
10am, Thursday 30th August    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 600+ points (2 per person)
10am, Friday 31st August     Season Ticket Holders & Members with 500+ points (2 per person)
10am, Monday 3rd September     Season Ticket Holders & Members with 400+ points (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 4th September     Season Ticket Holders & Members with 300+ points (2 per person)
10am, Wednesday 5th September     Season Ticket Holders & Members with 200+ points (2 per person)
10am, Thursday 6th September    Season Ticket Holders & Members with 100+ points (2 per person)
10am, Friday 7th September    All Season Ticket Holders & Members (2 per person)
10am, Monday 10th September    Supporters with a Booking History (4 per person)

Tickets for the match are priced at £30 for adults, £23 for over 65s and just  £18 for Under 18s. Fans can view the full pricing table here.
Supporters can purchase tickets online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/29/everton-away-tickets

WhiteJC

International Call-Ups

Details of the Fulham players who have received call-ups from their respective countries ahead of the upcoming international period.

Senior Squad

André-Frank Zambo Anguissa (Cameroon) – Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier

Tom Cairney (Scotland) – Friendly & UEFA Nations League

Cyrus Christie (Republic of Ireland - provisional squad) – UEFA Nations League & Friendly

Ibrahima Cissé (Guinea) – Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (Netherlands - provisional squad) – Friendly & UEFA Nations League

Stefan Johansen (Norway) – UEFA Nations League

Neeskens Kebano (Congo) – Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier

Kevin McDonald (Scotland) – Friendly & UEFA Nations League

Aleksandar Mitrović (Serbia) – UEFA Nations League

Jean Michaël Seri (Ivory Coast) – Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier

All call-ups are subject to the player's fitness closer to the time. Any additional call-ups will be announced on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/29/international-call-ups

WhiteJC

Young Whites: Connor McAvoy

Having recently signed a scholarship with the club, Connor McAvoy has enjoyed a hectic few weeks. The young defender has started his first season of the Under-18 Premier League and recently earned his first cap for Scotland Under-18s.

Fulhamfc.com caught up with him to talk about his career so far.

"Being called up to Scotland was a shock for me, I got told a week before we left, and it was such a proud and fantastic experience for me. The season hadn't really started so it was all a bit of a whirlwind. My dad rang me and said next week you're going to Spain with Scotland, it was great.

"I wasn't really excited or nervous on debut. Everything was going through my head. Is this real? Am I supposed to be here? I just wanted to do it for my family.

"I've been at Fulham since the age of eight, before that I was playing locally for Staines Town since I was four. Ever since I could walk I've been into the game, I wanted to be a footballer from there moving forward."

McAvoy received a straight red card in Fulham Under-18's draw against Southampton on Saturday.

"It's a big step-up playing Under-18s football, there's bigger kids, it's quicker, stronger. It was a good game on Saturday we were good for the most part, it was silly of me to get sent-off, I'll learn from it."

The now Scottish International has a big career ahead of him and has an eye on how far he can progress with Fulham.

"I just want to play professional football at a good level. It's everyone's dream to be one of the best at what they do. Whether I'm in the Premiership or lower, as long as I've bettered myself.

"I didn't have a certain player I admired, I just watched a lot of football. It was more the teams in how they played. I learnt a lot from Champions League football, which was the best players teaching me how to improve. I was a Fulham fan before I played here, which certainly helped give me a boost.

"I think I'm good on the ball, both footed. I'm quite composed and a good reader of the game which is important."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/29/internationals-connor-mcavoy

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson's 'experience and leadership' impress Slavisa Jokanovic on Fulham debut

Slavisa Jokanovic hailed Alfie Mawson's display of "experience and leadership" on his Fulham debut in a 2-0 EFL Cup win over Exeter.

Mawson, a £20million summer signing from Swansea, had been sidelined with a knee injury having undergone surgery at the back end of last season.

The 24-year-old was untroubled in a convincing win over League Two opponents, impressing his new manager ahead of an expected Premier League bow away to Brighton on Saturday.

"After three months and a half or something like this, this was first time he played the game and with new team mates," Jokanovic said.

"Alfie showed the quality, the power and was strong in the air, he showed some experience and leadership too.

"It was a positive sensation for me and for Alfie."

Loanee goalkeeper Sergio Rico also made his debut, becoming the third shot-stopper to feature in Fulham's first four games of the season with Fabri and Marcus Bettinelli also vying to be Jokanovic's first-choice between the sticks.

Aboubakar Kamara's brace secured victory for Fulham (REUTERS)

"In my hands I have three quality keepers and it's fantastic news for us," the Fulham manager said.

"I have less chances to make mistake and first chance for Sergio too, to play with new team mates and he showed the personality and made a few interesting saves and actions from his position.

"I must be satisfied like I try explain, I am satisfied with the ambition from my side."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/alfie-mawsons-experience-and-leadership-impress-slavisa-jokanovic-on-fulham-debut-a3922486.html

WhiteJC

Fulham squad players give Jokanovic selection headache for Brighton after Carabao Cup win

The head coach made 11 changes for the win over Exeter as he continues to try and find his best team

Fulham's squad players have give Slavisa Jokanovic a selection headache after their performances in the 2-0 win over Exeter City in the Carabao Cup.

The head coach made 11 changes for the game, giving Sergio Rico and Alfie Mawson debuts while also playing the fringe players in his Premier League squad such as Stefan Johansen and Neeskens Kebano.

It was a decent performance from the side as an Aboubakar Kamara double put Fulham into the hat for the third round of the Carabao Cup - and it's given Jokanovic something to think about heading into Saturday's game with Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League.

Ryan Sessegnon, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Calum Chambers would all consider themselves as having a stake to be a first team regular, while Fulham's XI from Sunday's 4-2 victory over Burnley will all feel their performances will warrant them starting once more.

Jokanovic is still trying to work out what his best team is after the summer arrival of 12 players, and he will continue to do that ahead of the game at the AMEX.

(Image: Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

He said: "This is first team plan too.

"Some players from today can perfectly participate in Saturday's game with Brighton and I will repeat, we are still trying to build up our team.

"Now the only important thing after this game is the one immediately ahead of us and we are going to take some conclusion after tonight's game and work to prepare the game and I will try to find the sense and the best starting XI for this game."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-squad-players-give-jokanovic-15084701

WhiteJC

Arsenal, Fulham, QPR - The London clubs Yaya Toure could potentially join after passing medical

The midfielder has passed a medical in London and looks set to sign for a new club

Yaya Toure could be set to return to the Premier League very shortly after his agent revealed that he has passed a medical in London.

Released by Man City at the end of the season after eight years at the Etihad Stadium, the Ivorian still remains a free agent following the expiration of his contract on July 1.

Although the Premier League transfer window slammed shut on August 9 ahead of the new season, teams in the top flight can still add to their squad by signing a free agent providing that they have a free space in their 25-man squad.

Clubs had to submit their squads for the new season a day after the transfer window closed, yet selling a player from the submitted 25-man squad can free up a space to bring in a player on a free transfer.

However, the free agent must have left his previous club before the closure of the transfer window, as was the case with Toure.

Speaking back in May, Dimitry Seluk, the midfielder's agent, revealed that the ex-Barcelona man's intention was to remain in the Premier League.

"Yaya is fit and desperate to prove he's still the best central midfielder in the Premier League," he said, as reported by Manchester Evening News.

"Ivory Coast will not be in Russia for the World Cup and next season he will be fit, rested and stronger than ever.

"He's happy to accept a one-year deal to stay in England. And if his club are not satisfied with his performances, he will pay back half his wages, or the club can cancel his contract immediately, with no compensation."

Yaya Toure celebrates with the Premier League trophy in May 2018. (Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

So, with Toure potentially set to get his Premier League career back underway, who could he join?

Here we take a look at whether or not he could be heading to the capital in the coming days.

Arsenal

football.london understands that the experienced midfielder will not be heading to the Emirates in the coming days.

Toure previously had a trial during Arsene Wenger's time at the club and played for the Gunners in a pre-season friendly at Barnet in 2003.

While his brother Kolo did end up joining Arsenal, Yaya didn't because of an issue with his passport.

Fifteen years after last wearing an Arsenal shirt, Toure definitely won't be playing for Unai Emery's side over the course of the season.

Chelsea

A move to Stamford Bridge looks extremely unlikely with Maurizio Sarri currently having a number of options in the middle of the park.

Although Ruben Loftus-Cheek was named on the substitutes' bench at Newcastle United last Sunday, he was absent from the squad against Arsenal a week earlier due to options at Sarri's disposal.

The Blues also have Cesc Fabregas to return from injury, while Danny Drinkwater, who has been linked with an exit before the European transfer deadline, is yet to feature this term.

Toure could potentially be an option if the ex-Leicester City man leaves, yet that would still be very unlikely given the number of midfielders Sarri has to choose from.

Crystal Palace

Toure's agent has confirmed that the Ivorian will not be joining Crystal Palace in the coming days.

Roy Hodgson has already added to his midfield this summer with the signing of Cheikhou Kouyate from West Ham.

Fulham

Fulham are currently the favourites with the bookmakers to sign Toure.

Slavisa Jokanovic has added to his midfield in the summer, including the high-profile arrivals of Jean Michael Seri from Nice and André-Frank Zambo Anguissa.

The Premier League newboys have options in the middle of the park and it would be a huge shock if the 35-year-old ended up in west London, especially as Tony Khan doesn't like signing players over the age of 28.

Spurs

Could Toure be in line for a move to Spurs after the club failed to sign anyone this summer?

Maurico Pochettino has plenty of options in midfield at present and a move for Toure would come as an enormous shock.

Harry Winks has only recently returned from injury, while Victor Wanyama will also be set to make his comeback very shortly after suffering a recurrence of his knee injury in pre-season.

Despite talk of Moussa Sissoko heading to Fenerbahce, reports from France suggest that the club do not want to sell him ahead of the European transfer deadline.

Watford

A move to the Hornets in the coming days would come as a major surprise.

Will Hughes has caught the eye for Javi Gracia's side in the first three Premier League games, while the team do also have Abdoulaye Doucoure and Etienne Capoue in the starting XI at present.

Nathaniel Chalobah looks set to return from a long-term knee injury next month, with Tom Cleverley also another midfield option once he recovers from his Achilles injury.

West Ham

Toure, who has been heavily linked with a move to the London Stadium, will not be moving to West Ham.

The player's agent has stated that it's "100%" not the Hammers who he will be joining.

Many had tipped the ex-Barcelona man to head to east London given that former Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini is now in charge of the team.

QPR

It would come as a major surprise to see the Premier League winner drop down to the Championship.

With Tomer Hemed and Nakhi Wells sealing loan moves to Loftus Road last week, Steve McClaren will be hoping to add to his squad ahead of Friday's deadline.

Initially priced around 50/1 to sign the player, the odds have been dramatically slashed to 6/1 for the midfielder to seal an incredible move to QPR.

https://www.football.london/premier-league/yaya-toure-transfer-news-latest-15085207

WhiteJC

Kamara: Confidence Building

Aboubakar Kamara was pleased to take his chance with both hands when given the nod against Exeter City on Tuesday night.

The forward was one of 11 changes made by Slaviša Jokanović for the Carabao Cup tie, and he showed his predatory instincts with a brace in Fulham's 2-0 win.

"It's good to score the two goals, it gives us confidence," Kamara told fulhamfc.com. "It's great for everyone, for me and the whole team. We're all here to support each other.

"It's important to take your chance. When a coach decides that you are ready to play, then you have to show that you will repay his faith in making that decision. Also, it's good for my own confidence to score goals."

After losing our first two fixtures of the season, the Whites have rallied to secure back-to-back victories in the space of three days.

The Grecians are flying high in League Two at the moment, and Kamara was satisfied with the professional display put on by his side: "It's not easy, mentally it's not easy, you really have to apply yourself.

"It's right that they are a lower league team but they came here with the intention to win so we had to respect them, which is what we did, but we also had to show that we wanted to win as well.

"It's a long season, a very long season. The first two games of course were difficult, but there are so many matches left.

"We have to be solid and now just have that belief that we can carry on this good form."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/29/aboubakar-kamara-confidence-building

WhiteJC

Kamara growing in confidence after Exeter double

Aboubakar Kamara believes his confidence – and that of the Fulham team – is growing after he scored twice to beat Exeter and send the Whites into the third round of the League Cup.

The French forward's brace gave Fulham a comfortable win over the League Two outfit at Craven Cottage last night and he feels that the victory will boost morale in the camp ahead of Saturday's tough trip to Brighton. The 23 year-old told Fulham's official website:

It's good to score the two goals, it gives us confidence. It's great for everyone, for me and the whole team. We're all here to support each other. It's important to take your chance. When a coach decides that you are ready to play, then you have to show that you will repay his faith in making that decision. Also, it's good for my own confidence to score goals.

Kamara admitted that facing lower league opposition was far from easy but he was also determined to take his chance to impress Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic.

It's not easy, mentally it's not easy, you really have to apply yourself. It's right that they are a lower league team but they came here with the intention to win so we had to respect them, which is what we did, but we also had to show that we wanted to win as well.

It's a long season, a very long season. The first two games of course were difficult, but there are so many matches left. We have to be solid and now just have that belief that we can carry on this good form.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/kamara-growing-in-confidence-after-exeter-double/

WhiteJC

Benítez's idling at Newcastle exposed by Mitrovic's flying start for Fulham

The Spaniard said: 'You can only drive the car you have' – but could he push his side closer to the speed limit?

It won't last long, but the infant Premier League table is about as close to telling porkies as a league table can ever get at the moment, giving the wholly misleading impression that big can mix with little in England and that any team can reach any stratum.

Liverpool are level on points with Spurs at the top, for example, the team that spent massively over summer and the team that kept the chequebook in the sideboard drawer. At least those two were expected to go well, along with Chelsea, adapting quickly to life under their new manager, but the fourth team on maximum points were widely tipped for relegation. Watford were another side who failed to throw their money around in the transfer window – in fact they appeared to have been weakened when Richarlison joined Everton – though no one appears to have told them yet. If Spurs play as well at Vicarage Road on Sunday as they did at Old Trafford at the start of the week, Javi Gracia's players will have their work cut out to stay unbeaten, though for the moment the fixture can be billed as a top-four clash.

Manchester City are slightly off the pace, though not by as much as Manchester United, Arsenal and West Ham. Brighton and Crystal Palace are already making a bid for a berth in mid-table, along with newly promoted Fulham, and while the other newcomers are finding wins difficult to come by, as might be expected, so are more established Premier League acts such as Southampton, Burnley and Newcastle.

Perhaps Newcastle are not all that well established at the top level, this is just their second season back up from the Championship, though it is a testament to the tactical nous and organisational flair of Rafael Benítez that even under unsympathetic ownership and financial constraint everyone assumes they will be steady enough to survive. Benítez was criticised for being too steady at the weekend, for not having enough of a go against Chelsea at home, to which he replied that you can only drive the car you have. In which case the underpowered Citroën 2CV will probably get another outing on Saturday, as Newcastle are away from home against the Rolls-Royce that is Manchester City.

As first glance the Benítez philosophy appears to make perfect sense; indeed there is a fashion at the moment for getting the best out of players you already possess, in the manner of Gracia at Watford or Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs, rather than breaking transfer records in the manner of Liverpool or continually demanding bought-in improvement like José Mourinho at United.

Yet look a little closer and you will see there is all the difference in the world between Newcastle's thrift, which in reality is skinflint level parsimony inflicted by the owner on what might otherwise be a thriving concern, and Tottenham's carefully judged inaction in the last transfer window. What Pochettino had up his sleeve, and what Benítez will never be granted as long as Mike Ashley owns the Tyneside club, was the luxury of a £25m January buy from Paris Saint-Germain biding his time in the wings. Spurs are not penny-pinching for the sake of it, they are keeping control not only of expenditure but of the composition of the team. At the moment no one deserves to lose their place to a big-money signing – even Lucas Moura only got his chance because Son Heung-min is playing at the Asian Games – and Pochettino is one of those managers who likes to keep everyone involved.

Jürgen Klopp is the same, as it happens, though people are starting to ask about the whereabouts of Fabinho now that Jordan Henderson is struggling to claim a regular place in the Anfield starting lineup. Flashing the cash on new faces does not always improve team harmony and, as can clearly be seen at Old Trafford at the moment, neither does bemoaning the fact that not enough money has been spent on certain areas of the side.

Which brings us back to Benítez at Newcastle, who neither spends much money nor complains about the lack of it, but concentrates instead on making sure his modest motor runs as smoothly as possible in a race dominated by noisier, more powerful engines. Or does he? Newcastle have scored only two goals in their three matches. Aleksandar Mitrovic already has three to his name at Fulham.

Admittedly it was in the Championship, but there was something revealing about the way the Serbian striker began racking up the goals as soon as he joined Fulham on loan last January. He scored 12 for his new side in the second part of the season and he has now made a flying start in the Premier League.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored three goals in three games for Fulham to follow his excellent second-half of the 2017-18 season at the club. Photograph: Henry Browne/Getty Images

Mitrovic is still only 23, scored in the World Cup for Serbia and had enough physical presence to dominate Burnley's experienced James Tarkowski and Ben Mee at the weekend. Possibly the player's physicality is one reason why Benítez never fully trusted him – he was once described as a red card waiting to happen. However, when you are making ends meet on the kind of budget Ashley allows you will rarely encounter the finished article, you have to make the best of what you come across. Or drive the car you have, as Benítez would put it.

Mitrovic became fed up of driving around in second gear at Newcastle. Benítez prefers a patient, defensive approach with the occasional counterattack, not Mitrovic's game at all. The striker is enjoying himself more in London with plenty of crosses to attack and a greater willingness to get forward. Benítez says he would employ five strikers if he could but, citing Mitrovic as evidence, Newcastle supporters tend not to believe him. Should Mitrovic's goals for Fulham make a critical difference at the end of the season, Benítez might do well to drop the motoring analogy before he ends up accused of being too careful a driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/29/rafael-benitez-newcastle-exposed-aleksandar-mitrovic-fulham

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson's debut and Steven Sessegnon playing centre back - Fulham talking points

Fulham beat Exeter 2-0 to progress in the Caraboa Cup - here's what we took from the game at Craven Cottage

Fulham's strength in depth

Slavisa Jokanovic made 11 changes as Exeter came to visit Craven Cottage as he continues to try and discover what his best Fulham side is.

The likes of Ryan Sessegnon, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Calum Chambers all got starts, while there were debuts for Sergio Rico and Alfie Mawson in the 2-0 victory.

Unlike in other campaigns, Fulham have serious depth in their side as they look to make sure they stay in the Premier League this season.

The eleven from Sunday beat Burnley 4-2 and put in a really good performance, with Aleksandar Mitrovic showing to everyone why Fulham parted with £20million to make sure he was in their squad this season.

It will give Jokanovic a headache every week, but that can only be good for the side as competition for places will ensure that everyone is on their feet and performing every week.

There's quality in every position - something that the club will need in order to thrive in the top flight this season.

Mawson and Rico's debuts

The 2-0 victory over Exeter was the first chance we got to see both Mawson and Rico in Fulham shirts - and both performances were encouraging.

Mawson played 75 minutes and looked dominant throughout the game, putting in a number of strong tackles and dominating headers to make sure his side came out of the tie with a clean sheet and will be sure to be knocking on the door of a starting spot before long.

Rico, meanwhile, looked assured in goal despite being rarely tested by the Exeter forwards.

He looked decent with the ball at his feet, which is vital for keepers playing in Jokanovic's style, while his cross taking was probably his best asset.

We didn't get too see too much in terms of his shot stopping, but he made a very good save to put the ball over the bar in the first half - despite it being offside.

Both debutants were encouraging and will only strengthen the side.

Re-emergence of Ibrahima Cisse

Ibrahima Cisse hadn't played for Fulham since October 2017, where he came on as a sub in the 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa, but it's hard to see where he fits into plans at Craven Cottage.

With both Kevin McDonald and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa ahead of him in the pecking order in his preferred position, it's unlikely he'll see much game time this season, much like the previous campaign.

Fulham's Ibrahima Cisse (Image: Nigel French/PA Wire)

He looked decent against Exeter in spells, but there were a number of times he was unable to break up their counter attacks and allowed the League Two side to break on Fulham's centre backs.

There is still a possibility of allowing him to leave on loan, but with such little game time in the past season it's hard to see who would take a risk on him.

Steven Sessegnon's performance at centre back

We got to see both the Sessegnon twins on the pitch again against Exeter, but it was Steven's performance at centre back that made the last 15 minutes an interesting watch.

He's played there before, for both the U18s and U23s, and has been used there in the England youth sides and he looked impressive in the heart of defence.

We've seen him used at left back by Jokanovic in the pre-season games but at centre back he looked every bit the ball playing defender despite his young age.

He looked strong in the tackle but it was his reading of the space in front of the defence and his ability to break from the back four and cut through that space that particularly impressed me.

At just 18 he already looks like he could become a very versatile member of Fulham's team in the future.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/alfie-mawsons-debut-steven-sessegnon-15084833

WhiteJC

Fulham captain Tom Cairney pulls out of Scotland squad as a result of injury

The Fulham skipper suffered an ankle injury in the 4-2 win over Burnley last Sunday

Tom Cairney has pulled out of the Scotland squad to face Belgium and Albania as a result of injury.

The Fulham skipper had to be substituted during the 4-2 win over Burnley last Sunday after picking up an ankle injury, and it's that injury that sees him withdraw from international duty.

Slavisa Jokanovic hoped to have him available for Saturday's game with Brighton & Hove Albion, but with the 27-year-old pulling out of the national team as a result of that ankle injury, that now looks unlikely.

Cairney joins a list of Fulham players with injury this season, with Tim Ream, Floyd Ayite and now Neeskens Kebano all on the injury list for Jokanovic's team.

Ream and Ayite are currently on their way back to match fitness, while the severity of Kebano's injury is being assessed after he was stretchered off in the 2-0 Carabao Cup win over Exeter City as a result of an ankle injury.

Jokanovic couldn't give an update on the winger after the game, but did say it could be ankle ligament damage, which would rule the DR Congo man out for the foreseeable future.

(Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

Elsewhere, Alfie Mawson made his return from injury in the win over Exeter, featuring for 75 minutes and helping his side keep a clean sheet as they made their way through to the third round of the competition.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-captain-tom-cairney-pulls-15086386

WhiteJC

Tony Khan has high expectations for Fulham and insists club didn't spend for the sake of it

Over £100million was spent in the summer in order to give Slavisa Jokanovic the best chance of keeping Fulham in the Premier League this season

Fulham's Director of Football Operations Tony Khan has insisted the side didn't spend money for the sake of it this summer and that he holds high expectations of the side.

The club spent over £100million in the summer, the first promoted side to do so, signing the likes of Jean-Michael Seri, Andre Schurrle and Aleksandar Mitrovic in big money deals as Khan's recruitment looked to give Slavisa Jokanovic the best chance of success in the Premier League this season.

The players that have brought in to Craven Cottage this summer are all top quality signings, with Seri almost joining Barcelona last season before that move fell through - with the business done showing the ambition the Khan family hold for Fulham.

The redevelopment of the training ground at Motspur Park, the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand and the redevelopment of the squad are all part of owner, Shahid Khan's plans for the side - and despite Fulham spending big, the players they have brought in will only continue to add value this season.

Speaking to Jim White on Talksport, Tony Khan said: "Yeah but I think we're not spending money for the sake of spending money.

"These are huge assets for us and great players, great people, and with Mitrovic we knew exactly what we were getting with him.

Family: Shahid Khan and Tony Khan (Image: Norm Hall/Getty Images)

"You saw how important he was at Wembley and that was an important thing for us to do, but some of the other players, we said it would take time for the guys to gel and when they do we expect really great things to happen.

"We felt like they really came together and did well this past weekend at the Cottage."

Khan also went on to explain the expectations he holds for Fulham this season after that big summer of spending - with the side getting their first win of the season against Burnley on Sunday.

He added: "We have high expectations for the club, a good finish in the Premier League to build on for next season would be a good result for us.

"We were very active in the summer transfer window and we needed to be very active, the club last year was built very responsibly and the things we did to get out of the Championship included a lot of loans.

"We had six domestic loans and you can only have five in a matchday squad, so a lot of the time one of them would sit unless one was injured, and there was times when Piazon and Ojo had injuries and the other five would play.

"But a lot of the time we had six players for five spots so those were six important players from last year that we needed to replace.

"We lost Ryan Fredericks on a free transfer because he got a very good deal at West Ham and will be a good player for them, so we had a lot of really good players to replace.

"We were very aggressive in the summer and for us now, a good result would be a solid season in the Premier League that we can build on next season."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/tony-khan-high-expectations-fulham-15085290

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 01/09
This weekend we travel down to the south coast for a visit to Brighton and Hove Albion

After the success' on Sunday and Tuesday evening we now face Chris Hughton's Brighton at the Amex Stadium.
Team selection will be interesting for this game, will Slaviša start with the same eleven as against Burnley, assuming that Tom's fit enough? Slaviša hinted that he'd change the team to reflect the opposition so perhaps Anguissa will replace KMac, as Brighton isn't as 'physical' a side? and perhaps Ryan will get the nod over  Luciano Vietto even though he had a good game on Sunday?

For Brighton its their second season in the Premiership and it wasn't too long ago that we gave them a good game(s) in the Championship so we might be able to use this game as a measure of how far we have progressed?

Games of interest
Saturday 1st September
Brighton v Fulham
Crystal Palace v Southampton
Everton v Huddersfield
West Ham v Wolves

Sunday 2nd September
Cardiff v Arsenal

COYW

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=361

WhiteJC

Injured Cairney withdraws from Scotland squad

Tom Cairney has pulled out of the Scotland squad because of injury.

The Scottish Football Association announced that the Fulham midfielder had withdrawn two days after boss Alex McLeish named his squad for the double header against Belgium and Albania.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic revealed on Monday that Cairney had turned his ankle against Burnley at the weekend.

Cairney missed his team's win over Exeter in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday but Jokanovic had been hopeful of him recovering in time to face Brighton this weekend.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/injured-cairney-withdraws-from-scotland-squad

WhiteJC

Scotland lose Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney to injury

Fulham skipper Tom Cairney has two international caps for Scotland

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has pulled out of the Scotland squad to face Belgium and Albania.

The midfielder had to be substituted during Sunday's 4-2 win over Burnley after picking up an ankle injury.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic said he hoped to have the 27-year-old available for Saturday's game with Brighton.

But the Scottish FA has announced the player's withdrawal from the double-header at Hampden.

Belgium provide friendly opposition on 7 September, with the opening match of the Nations League following three days later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45348096

WhiteJC

Part skill, part swagger, all American: Clint Dempsey leaves indelible mark on U.S. Soccer

Mike Fiechtner

On Wednesday, Seattle Sounders forward Clint Dempsey, 35, retired from professional soccer, ending his legendary 15-year career.

The Nacogdoches, Texas, native will go down as arguably the greatest U.S. soccer player ever and leaves the sport tied for the most goals in U.S. Soccer history with 57. He is second in Sounders history with 57 goals.

Dempsey is the only American to score in three World Cups. His legacy abroad includes a prowess for net that resulted in 72 goals for English Premier League sides Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur from 2006-13.

"After a lot of thought, my family and I have decided that this is the right time for me to step away from the game," said Dempsey. "I'd like to thank all of the teammates, coaches and support staff that I've worked with throughout my career. It has always been my dream to make it as a pro. I'm grateful to have been on this ride. I would like to thank all of the fans who have supported me throughout my career with the New England Revolution, Fulham, Tottenham, Seattle Sounders and the U.S. men's national team. Y'all have always made me feel at home, and it is something that I will always remember."

One of the best ways that former United States men's national team Head Coach Bruce Arena could describe Dempsey was, "He tries s---."

Arena gave Dempsey his first taste of the international stage in 2004 as a 21-year-old in a FIFA World Cup Qualifying match against Jamaica, five days after he was named MLS Rookie of the Year. All he would do next is don the U.S. kit 140 more times, score 57 goals and add 21 assists.

Often reserved, at times enigmatic and nothing if not productive, Dempsey brought a creative flair no U.S. player had ever had and a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. The fiery forward was fueled by motivation. He grew up in a trailer park in the backyard of his grandparents' house. He played pick-up with his bare feet on dirt fields. Goals were made up of T-shirts and rolled up socks.

Dempsey's parents sacrificed everything for him to play. They commuted six hours round trip to Dallas, so he could play with the Texans, a renowned youth club. Dempsey and his four siblings split one meal when they dined out. His sister, Jennifer, passed away when he was 12. He recognized her every time he scored.

From small Division I college Furman to the New England Revolution, from Fulham to Tottenham, from the Sounders to the USMNT, Dempsey succeeded everywhere he went. It was part skill, part swagger and all American.

"As far as I'm concerned, Clint Dempsey is the greatest player in the history of our country," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "His mark on both our club and the United States men's national team is indelible, and his hard-earned reputation as a trailblazer for our nation in Europe helped pave the way for generations of future of Americans abroad."

In 2006, Dempsey released a rap video called "Don't Tread," a song littered with calls for respect. The U.S. Soccer community embodied that message. It embraced it as its own on its continual quest for more recognition on the world stage. There had never been an American abroad with as much success as Dempsey. He nearly single-handedly shifted a narrative. Not only could Americans play overseas, they could thrive.

Dempsey scored 60 goals in all competitions for Fulham from 2007-12. Fulham twice named him Player of the Season. He led the Cottagers to the UEFA Europa League Final in 2010. He finished fourth in the EPL in scoring with 17 goals during the 2011-12 season. Success with Fulham led Dempsey to Spurs in 2012, and he scored 12 more goals the following season.

Dempsey was the most decorated American abroad, which made his homecoming all the sweeter.

"When Clint arrived in Seattle in 2013, in many ways it was a defining moment for our club," said Sounders FC Owner Adrian Hanauer. "His signing represented a new era in Major League Soccer, allowing our country's most accomplished player to return home and drive the game to new heights domestically. Five years later, there's no doubt in my mind that Clint helped us achieve that, both on the field surrounding our club's success over the past several seasons, and in our community."

Dempsey scored 57 goals in his five years with the Sounders. He was twice an All-Star. He won every trophy available: 2016 MLS Cup, 2014 Supporters' Shield, 2014 U.S. Open Cup. He was as much a face of the Sounders as he was the league as a whole. In 2016, a heart condition ended his season early and could have ended his career. Dempsey returned stronger than ever a season later, leading the Sounders in goals and earning 2017 Comeback Player of the Year honors.

On Wednesday, Dempsey walked away from the game of soccer, but what he's done, and what he's left behind, remain. He will live in the annals of U.S. Soccer. He will be fondly remembered as a pioneer, breaking down American soccer stereotypes, and he did it all his way.

He once said all he wanted to do was score goals and go fishing. Now, he has more time for the latter. He has more time to spend with his wife and four children. In 2004, he came quietly onto the scene, just a kid from Nacogdoches out to prove a point. And in 2018, he walks away just as quietly, having done just that.

Clint Dempsey tried s---, and everyone is better off because of it.

Thank you, Deuce.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2018/08/29/part-skill-part-swagger-all-american-clint-dempsey-leaves-indelible-mark-us-soccer