watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - They Shall Not Grow Old

Started by Southcoastffc, October 09, 2018, 11:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Sorry to interrupt the football but I hope the MODS will indulge me.  Others may be interested in this remarkable piece of film technology which brings home the story of WWI.  It's a one-off nationwide showing on 16 Oct.

"On the centenary of the end of First World War, Academy Award-winner Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) presents the World Premiere of an extraordinary new work showing the Great War as you have never seen it.

This unique film brings into high definition the human face of the First World War as part of a special London Film Festival presentation alongside a live Q&A with director Peter Jackson hosted by Mark Kermode.

Using state of the art technology to restore original archival footage which is more than a 100-years old, Jackson brings to life the people who can best tell this story: the men who were there.  Driven by a personal interest in the First World War, Jackson set out to bring to life the day-to-day experience of its soldiers. After months immersed in the BBC and Imperial War Museums' archives, narratives and strategies on how to tell this story began to emerge for Jackson. Using the voices of the men involved, the film explores the reality of war on the front line; their attitudes to the conflict; how they ate; slept and formed friendships, as well what their lives were like away from the trenches during their periods of downtime.

Jackson and his team have used cutting edge techniques to make the images of a hundred years ago appear as if they were shot yesterday. The transformation from black and white footage to colourised footage can be seen throughout the film revealing never before seen details. Reaching into the mists of time, Jackson aims to give these men voices, investigate the hopes and fears of the veterans, the humility and humanity that represented a generation changed forever by a global war."

Venues are listed here:
https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/?campaign=IWM
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

One only has to read some of the diary entries of some of the surviving documents that were published to realise how we haven't changed very much. If people ever go through their family history it is odd to suddenly find how Great Uncles or whatever were suddenly wiped away because of the War. The clever technology that brings the past to life is remarkable. But the words of those that were there are around and available to read. We sometimes forget that people going through great turmoil react in the same way whatever period they happen to be born. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

JoelH5

Saw a few clips on the news earlier. I was astounded at how well they've been able to restore them. To improve the frame rate so drastically as well.  It was amazing! Can't wait to see more
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Forever Fulham

I remember reading some great English poetry at university about that war.  In Flanders Fields, of course.  And Larkin.  Lots of references to mustard gas. Wilfred Owen. The trenches.  And death when you lifted  your helmeted head up just a little too high.  Without this war, Alsace-Lorraine wouldn't have stayed under French control.   The first real use of chemical warfare too.  The Treaty of Versailles.  Germany having to make war reparations, bankrupting its economy, paving an easier path to the conditions favouring the rise of the Nazis and WWII.  American school children in History class saw those photos of Germans pushing wheelbarrows of cash just to buy a loaf of bread.  While we sat in relative safety, protected by an ocean.  I suspect that war sped up the U.S. industrial complex, contributing to the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression that followed it.  I recall some professor opining about WWI as the great coming together of the classes.  In the trench.  Demystifying the social caste system.  Creating the ambivalence that would one day lead to the Angry Young Man, Look Back in Anger, and all that.  One thing the U.S. learned from that war was the need to help rebuild the vanquished.  Don't leave your enemy decimated or the desperation that will surely follow will lead them to be right back at you in time. What they used to say about the Japanese:  At your throat or at your feet.  Hence, the Marshall Plan after WWII.  I just Googled  to see how much money the U.S. actually gave Western Europe to rebuild back then.  Over $12 Billion.  Article says that's "nearly $100 billion in 2016 U.S. dollars."  That's a lot of rebuilding.  Churchill used to say you could count on the U.S. to do the right thing, but only after exhausting every other avenue.  Maybe so, but give the Marshall Plan its rightful place amongst great foreign policies in history.    I don't think today's occupant in the White House would agree to such a plan.  But I'm just riffing.  Don't mean to start a fight.  Peace out. 

filham

100 years after that terrible war and still the world's politicians have not learnt how to avoid war.

keith

"Forgotten voices from the Somme". Brilliant book.

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Dodgin

I have my Grandad's medals from WW1 and ready to pass them on to my grandson. Paid a visit to the grave of my Great Uncle who died in 1916 in one of the Somme battles. One of those experiences that will never leave you, such a waste. If you have a moment listen to Green Fields of France by The Fureys on Youtube. Says it all.

Holders

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 10, 2018, 12:30:44 AM
I remember reading some great English poetry at university about that war.  In Flanders Fields, of course.  And Larkin.  Lots of references to mustard gas. Wilfred Owen. The trenches.  And death when you lifted  your helmeted head up just a little too high.  Without this war, Alsace-Lorraine wouldn't have stayed under French control.   The first real use of chemical warfare too.  The Treaty of Versailles.  Germany having to make war reparations, bankrupting its economy, paving an easier path to the conditions favouring the rise of the Nazis and WWII.  American school children in History class saw those photos of Germans pushing wheelbarrows of cash just to buy a loaf of bread.  While we sat in relative safety, protected by an ocean.  I suspect that war sped up the U.S. industrial complex, contributing to the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression that followed it.  I recall some professor opining about WWI as the great coming together of the classes.  In the trench.  Demystifying the social caste system.  Creating the ambivalence that would one day lead to the Angry Young Man, Look Back in Anger, and all that.  One thing the U.S. learned from that war was the need to help rebuild the vanquished.  Don't leave your enemy decimated or the desperation that will surely follow will lead them to be right back at you in time. What they used to say about the Japanese:  At your throat or at your feet.  Hence, the Marshall Plan after WWII.  I just Googled  to see how much money the U.S. actually gave Western Europe to rebuild back then.  Over $12 Billion.  Article says that's "nearly $100 billion in 2016 U.S. dollars."  That's a lot of rebuilding.  Churchill used to say you could count on the U.S. to do the right thing, but only after exhausting every other avenue.  Maybe so, but give the Marshall Plan its rightful place amongst great foreign policies in history.    I don't think today's occupant in the White House would agree to such a plan.  But I'm just riffing.  Don't mean to start a fight.  Peace out. 

Quite a good summary in general, I'd say, in terms of not over grinding down the vanquished. The Treaty of Versailles was just too punitive and paved the way for the nationalist reaction in the 30s. I've been to Alsace and Lorraine and you'd think you were in Germany not France, it really doesn't feel right to this day. The Suedtirol is another example. 

For a great anti-war song try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Neil D

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 17, 2018, 02:50:02 PM

Thanks for this.  Really interesting and can't wait to see it on BBC.

Berserker

I saw it at the cinema in Swinfon last night. I think it was a live link from the one at the BFI. The questions and answers session with Mark Kemode and Peter Javkson was very good as well

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Forever Fulham

In my 20's, I was once in an amateur theatre production of  "Dear Ruth" (1947, American), at the Henry Ford Museum in Greenfield Village, Dearborn, Michigan. Played Sergeant Chuck Vincent.  Minor role.  A lot of fun actually. I had to wear a U.S. Army uniform.  It was heavy as hell.  I think it had wool in it.  I only think of that now because of the photo you provided above reminded me of it.  So I have a question for anyone who knows the answer, especially some of you old timers.  Of what material were those WWI uniforms made of?  Was it wool? A heavy cotton...flannel maybe?  Every time I touched an old uniform on display, I remember how thick and heavy it seemed.  Only now am I wondering what it must have been made of, and if, when it got wet and muddy, was wearing it a miserable experience?  Just curious if anyone knows.  Uniforms today look light yet rugged. 

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on October 12, 2018, 10:44:26 AM
100 years after that terrible war and still the world's politicians have not learnt how to avoid war.

That's presupposing they want to in the first place, of course!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

This reminds me so much of the Ken Burns work in colourization of B&W together with restoration of damaged film. As computer power increases so does our ability to bring such things 'to life', and provides an excellent use of computer advancement.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Mince n Tatties

I see the loonies up the road from me in Cambridge University are at it.
A couple of the colleges have banned poppies in case they offend foreign students...Whatever next.😧

Holders

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 18, 2018, 07:45:03 AM
I see the loonies up the road from me in Cambridge University are at it.
A couple of the colleges have banned poppies in case they offend foreign students...Whatever next.😧

Really? What utter nonsense.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 18, 2018, 12:20:18 AM
In my 20's, I was once in an amateur theatre production of  "Dear Ruth" (1947, American), at the Henry Ford Museum in Greenfield Village, Dearborn, Michigan. Played Sergeant Chuck Vincent.  Minor role.  A lot of fun actually. I had to wear a U.S. Army uniform.  It was heavy as hell.  I think it had wool in it.  I only think of that now because of the photo you provided above reminded me of it.  So I have a question for anyone who knows the answer, especially some of you old timers.  Of what material were those WWI uniforms made of?  Was it wool? A heavy cotton...flannel maybe?  Every time I touched an old uniform on display, I remember how thick and heavy it seemed.  Only now am I wondering what it must have been made of, and if, when it got wet and muddy, was wearing it a miserable experience?  Just curious if anyone knows.  Uniforms today look light yet rugged.

I think the material was serge, also know as worsted, wool worsted serges are known from the 12th century onward. Modern serges are made with worsted warp and a woollen weft.

Holders

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 18, 2018, 05:31:10 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 18, 2018, 12:20:18 AM

I think the material was serge, also know as worsted, wool worsted serges are known from the 12th century onward. Modern serges are made with worsted warp and a woollen weft.

Almost all of us wear it today: serge de Nimes......or denim.   

bog

I think the material inside those uniforms puts those wet nursed, pampered numskulls at Cambridge to shame. Where would we be without those unbelievably brave men and women who we stand silent for just one minute on the 11th November every year?

092.gif