watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anguissa - Worst signing in history?

Started by Aaron, February 15, 2019, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I'm hoping this will come across in the somewhat tongue-in-cheek way it is intended!

Has there ever been a worse signing in the history of the Premier League than Anguissa? 

I'm trying to think holistically here so dropping Ali Dia into the mix doesn't count as he didn't actually cost Southampton anything (and also came closer to scoring a goal in his 11 minute Premier League career than Anguissa has in his entire professional career to date).  I don't think Djemba-Djemba, Bogarde and the like can stack either as they were essentially punts from clubs who could afford to take punts. 

But £30m, for a club of our stature on a midfielder who has never scored a goal is pretty astonishing when you think about it?

I know he's still in the squad and therefore theoretically could somehow still come good, but more realistically is that he's gone at the end of the year at a massive loss.

This has got to be the sort of thing that winds up on one of those Sky One clip shows in 10 years from now, no?  Maybe it's worse than that?  Maybe so few people even know who he is or that we spent £30m on him that there's nobody to talk about how bad a signing he was?  064.gif 

Surely not even Marlet or Mitroglou can stack up against Zambo?

F(f)CUK

gang

Yes, but how many Frank Large. The worst signing I can remember.

Milo

He shall forever be known as Languissa due to his languid performances.

Arthur

Quote from: Aaron on February 15, 2019, 11:56:54 PM
I know he's still in the squad and therefore theoretically could somehow still come good, but more realistically is that he's gone at the end of the year at a massive loss.

If his contract has a clause that sees his salary reduced in the event of relegation, I'd say that it's highly probable he'll be here next season.

As you indicate, there's unlikely to be a club willing to pay the sort of sum that would see us recoup most of what we shelled out for him. Furthermore, hasn't he signed a five-year deal with us? If so, we're under no pressure to cash in on him for a token amount.

RaySmith

He might come good for us and become a  fan favourite!

Not really a Frank Large - no one could fault Big Frank for effort and application, just lack of skill - compared to predecessor Allan Clarke
Whereas Anguissa has been  criticised for perceived lack of effort, but is supposed to be a very talented player with great potential - that's what we read when he signed.

JoelH5

He's only 23. A season in the Championship could be exactly what he needs. Let's hope he stays and gets game time. I think he could be good with some consistency, especially at a lower quality level.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

hovewhite

Think quality is there ,he's a young lad and needs time,if you add to that he's been injured patience is needed.

bobbo

Don't quite gel with the last two comments on this topic. Especicially regarding him having time in the championship to comegood. He was bought to be a decent premlevel player which he most certainly isn't .
On top of that there's been sarcastic comments from whence he came regarding how we've been mugged off.
Sadly we've a history of buying and paying too much for not good enough players and he is one of them.
Maybe I'll have to eat my words in a couple of years but i don't think so.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

hovewhite

Bobbo I think they new we were coming and who sanctions the money are a soft touch as not worth 30million nievety yet again by TK.

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

hovewhite

Quote from: grandad on February 16, 2019, 08:52:54 AM
I have one player. Fotheringham.
yeh forgot about him another gem of stats man!

Statto

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 16, 2019, 04:34:33 AM
He's only 23. A season in the Championship could be exactly what he needs. Let's hope he stays and gets game time. I think he could be good with some consistency, especially at a lower quality level.

+1

Woolly Mammoth

If we had signed him on a free transfer, I would say yes we may have got a half decent player, who may or may not hold his own in the Championship, and has youth on his side.
But 30 million, daylight robbery, and another good reason to overhaul the Elite Stats Squad, led by you know who, dare I mention his name. No he is known world wide by every agent and club looking for a fast buck.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

This is the reason why our whole recruitment team including the the scouts need replacing and now TK needs to be moved out of the firing line as it's hurting SKs efforts and his reputation.

David I

Quote from: hovewhite on February 16, 2019, 08:17:24 AM
Think quality is there ,he's a young lad and needs time,if you add to that he's been injured patience is needed.
Introducing a player and giving him time to come good works if you already have an established squad. Anguisssa was bought to go straight into the first team of an already depleted squad.
Therein lies the problem....

I meant to add, he's no where near the worst ever signing.

@jolslover

He started Europa League final last year at a young age and was a regular in a successful Marseille side. He's not rubbish but it hasn't worked out for him here.
Probably is our worst signing yeah in terms of how it's panned out. I do think he can come good still though.
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: hovewhite on February 16, 2019, 09:21:51 AM
Quote from: grandad on February 16, 2019, 08:52:54 AM
I have one player. Fotheringham.
yeh forgot about him another gem of stats man!

Fotheringham was bought in because he was Magaths mate before we even used stats for recruitment
STH H3

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 16, 2019, 04:34:33 AM

I heard people say the same about Kamara that hes only 22-23. 23 is not young in football terms, you got players that are world class in their teens. Sure players can improve with experience etc but at 23 you should be somewhere near the finished article