Main Menu

Tom Cairney

Started by Facts Not Fiction, January 22, 2020, 10:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: ALG01 on January 23, 2020, 12:16:56 AM
Quote from: southwest6 on January 22, 2020, 10:27:03 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 22, 2020, 10:16:16 PM
Massively out of position a la ranieri, we needed to get arter off and drp tc deeper... his best position.
Totally wasted so advanced, parker showed zero imagination in how to cope with difficult circumstances.
As far as cav is concerned, now there is a serial wate of space, he is genuinely pointless.

not entirely if you're taking the piss or not

no i am serious, cav is a hard worker, seems a noce bloke but has preciouse little end product. loses possesion over nd over needlesly, always has to do something fancy dan, does not make the best of his ability and generally is a massive under achiever. i know the popular view is otherwise but frankly i am very underwhelned and can see why wolves have let him go

He's our second top scorer and top assist provider. He's been involved in (scored or assisted) significantly more goals than any player except Mitrovic. How is that "precious little end product"?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 22, 2020, 10:42:30 PM
We should have kept Anguissa, Seri and Ayite rather than bringing in Reed, Arter and Reid.

Why, are you a glutton for punishment. I was happy with Ayite and thought he could do a job, but the other two would be passengers as they were last year.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 12:22:31 AM
We should have kept Anguissa, Seri and Ayite rather than bringing in Reed, Arter and Reid.

Why, are you a glutton for punishment. I was happy with Ayite and thought he could do a job, but the other two would be passengers as they were last year.

Of course, this is the same Seri that in defensive midfield his last two games got two assists, the same number our entire team got the last three games. Anguissa is playing so well Real Madrid wants him. Questions need to be asked why Anguiissa and Seri massively underperformed here and perform elsewhere? And, why players of such quality want to come here and then after they arrive don't want to be here anymore? Blame the players if you like, but the players we let go are now better than the ones we gained. Also note, Vietto is having a good season too.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 12:40:30 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 12:22:31 AM

Of course, this is the same Seri that in defensive midfield his last two games got two assists, the same number our entire team got the last three games. Anguissa is playing so well Real Madrid wants him. Questions need to be asked why Anguiissa and Seri massively underperformed here and perform elsewhere? And, why players of such quality want to come here and then after they arrive don't want to be here anymore? Blame the players if you like, but the players we let go are now better than the ones we gained. Also note, Vietto is having a good season too.

Vietto and Seri are lightweights and have no physical attributes that is why they don't perform here, it's more of a picnic for them where they are, they haven't got to worry about bruises and will look better that what they are. As for Zambo, he had no desire, no heart and no attachment to Fulham, his body language sucked, he wanted an easy life, even wearing thick gloves he complained of the cold in the mildest winter for yonks.
If I wanted to pick a Fulham team at this moment out of all our registered players to save my life, I would not give any of those three a second thought.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 23, 2020, 12:22:27 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 23, 2020, 12:16:56 AM
Quote from: southwest6 on January 22, 2020, 10:27:03 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on January 22, 2020, 10:16:16 PM
Massively out of position a la ranieri, we needed to get arter off and drp tc deeper... his best position.
Totally wasted so advanced, parker showed zero imagination in how to cope with difficult circumstances.
As far as cav is concerned, now there is a serial wate of space, he is genuinely pointless.

not entirely if you're taking the piss or not

no i am serious, cav is a hard worker, seems a noce bloke but has preciouse little end product. loses possesion over nd over needlesly, always has to do something fancy dan, does not make the best of his ability and generally is a massive under achiever. i know the popular view is otherwise but frankly i am very underwhelned and can see why wolves have let him go

He's our second top scorer and top assist provider. ... How is that "precious little end product"?

I can see why Wolves let Cavaleiro go and his end product is inconsistent, but if he had serious end product he'd be equally good to Jamie Vardy and playing for a Big Six Club. We are lucky to have Cavaleiro (i.e. Jamie Vardy without the quality end product and only marginally weaker in other areas) and if we could find another winger as good (or either wing) our goal difference would be about five to ten goals better and we'd have a few more points too. His end product is inconsistent, but when your shooting 44+ times a goal, you don't need to be a great finisher to put 6 in the back of the net.

colinwhite

Frustrating evening under difficult circumstances against a team who put 11 players behind the ball for 90 minutes(if that makes Bowyer a class manager then fine). Not our best performance but so many comments on here are so far off the mark I dont know where to start.

colinwhite

As far as Cairney is concerned he is not at his best and looks tired after half an hour. He is a great player but also a luxury player when we dont have the ball or have to grind away. Would have liked to see him take on a few more strikes  on goal in the last couple of games,but we dont know what his status is.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: colinwhite on January 23, 2020, 06:00:31 AM
Frustrating evening under difficult circumstances against a team who put 11 players behind the ball for 90 minutes(if that makes Bowyer a class manager then fine). Not our best performance but so many comments on here are so far off the mark I dont know where to start.

After 3 clean sheets and two defensive additions, weaker teams will be happy with a point against us.

Parker better be prepared to face "Seven Double Parked Buses" in a row::
Huddersfield (H)
Blackburn (A)
Milwall (A)
Barnsley (H)
Derby (A)
Swansea (H)
Preston (H)
Hopefully we be on more than 56 points after 36 games.

Last season, Stoke went through ten games around now, conceding only three goals and getting only 13 points.

RaySmith

If  a team dos this it's hard to overcome,  whoever you have in the team.

Cav is one of our best players, in terms of quality and effort, has proved a valuable acquisition, as has Reid and Arter, particularly. Cav is nothing like Vardy as a player.

All have been far more effective for us than Seri and Angusissa  ever were, and would be even in the Prem I think.
Yes, Seri and Anguisa  may have performed well elsewhere, so you say anyway - but  we are here , in the English league. Where  were/are the other Prem clubs wanting to buy them off us?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on January 23, 2020, 06:39:59 AM
If  a team dos this it's hard to overcome,  whoever you have in the team.

Cav is one of our best players, in terms of quality and effort, has proved a valuable acquisition, as has Reid and Arter, particularly. Cav is nothing like Vardy as a player.

All have been far more effective for us than Seri and Angusissa  ever were, and would be even in the Prem I think.
Yes, Seri and Anguisa  may have performed well elsewhere, so you say anyway - but  we are here , in the English league. Where  were/are the other Prem clubs wanting to buy them off us?

You say we are better than last season, but against the other bottom six teams last season we picked up 19 points in 12 games (i.e. 1.58 points per game), this season we have got 49 points from 29 games (i.e. 1.68 points per game). We are picking up one extra point every ten games, and the opposition is probably weaker this season.

Seri and Anguissa failed in Premier League, but so did KMac, Stefjo and Cairney who are all decent in the Championship. Everton considered buying Seri, but not willing to pay near £15m for him, and only Cairney from our midfield might get near that figure. Seri isn't much of a Premier League player and Cairney would start but wouldn't star in any squad even those getting relegated.

Seri would have been more useful today than both a half-fit Cairney and a fully fit Onamah. We need someone like Cairney every game, without a backup Cairney (like Seri) we are dropping too many points when he is either unavailable, unfit or tired at the end of three day match week. Who is our Cairney backup? Who is our backup creative central midfielder rather than just a workhorse?

As for Vardy, if he didn't have his finishing abilities in front of goal, then he would have to play on the wing and although different probably wouldn't be much better than Cav, while if Cav was a great finisher he would probably be a center-forward at a top club (not Vardy in style but an equally top player). We point we have Cav because his end product is nowhere near Vardy, but still very lucky to have him.

As for the Double Bus being hard to overcome, welcome to the Championship and why ex-Premier League teams struggle so much in this division to get out. It is the first question, anyone should have asked a new coach trying to get a promotion "How are you going to win when the other team is playing for a draw?". I am not sure after today that Parker has an answer, at least he doesn't without Mitro, Kamara and Knockaert.

Personally, I think Lee Bowyer saw our defensive performance in the last three games (including the FA cup) though Hector-Ream was class and decided to go for a point, unlike last time we played Charlton where he tried to win. Now our defense is looking better, half the teams we play will be happy with a point so Parker will be facing many "double parked buses". I see our problems quickly becoming how to be breakdown these other team defenses now they are aiming for a point.

70sPimlico

The same experts who waxed about how Onomah was not a footballer now feel they have the knowledge to comment on the abilities of tc.

Facts Not Fiction

Whilst Parker is our manager, we aren't going to get the best out of Cairney. I wouldn't start Cairney, going on our recent form and style. Unless we try to play more like the first 30 mins vs Boro.

I'm also in no doubt that Cairney will not be going anywhere. Parker will be extremely lucky to be our manager again next season. So its probably in his best interest to just ride this wave.

Reid - McDonald - Onomah would be our best midfield right now, if everyone was fit.

Mince n Tatties

I don't think its anything to do with the position Tom is in,as I've stated earlier he seems to lack energy, not just last night.
Maybe he's eating too much junk food which he likes,and needs to look at his diet.
Just a thought.

grandad

I am convinced Cairney is still suffering the effects of the virus that hit the club. Having recently experienced the same it is taking me weeks to recover. Loss of sleep, lack of appetite, really take it out of one. Credit for Cairney for still wanting to turn out.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Simply91

" He's our second top scorer and top assist provider. He's been involved in (scored or assisted) significantly more goals than any player except Mitrovic. How is that "precious little end product"?"

He (Cav) is our joint second top goal scorer, joint alongside with Cairney.

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on January 22, 2020, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 10:37:38 PM
I agree with S-O-T-N.  How can you expect anyone to function properly when there is no sensible plan coordinating the midfield organisation?  There was one point in the game around the hour mark when after a Charlton attack broke down McDonald urged the play forward looking for a pass and Arter was ambling meaninglessly along well behind him not even looking to join up play.  And I am not just talking about Arter others were equally guilty of not joining in.  Hector, Odoi, De Cordova-Reid, Cavaleiro, and Bryan did have some sense of purpose at times but there just wasn't any oomph.  What the hell are the coaching staff doing too?

What are we paying these people for?

Several weeks back there were complaints that we were rushing too many into the attack and getting caught on the counter. I'd say that was probably what was being coached. It proved correct as well because we looked to be in trouble when Charlton managed to counter.
Matt10 - this was not the gungho style observed in the past.  It was simply an example of a player not feeling obliged to join in i.e. let someone else do it.  I have complained about midfield disorganisation throughout this season because that is what I am seeing game to game.  In flurries it may work but it is hopelessly inconsistent - coached or un-coached.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 22, 2020, 10:22:00 PM
Quote from: Tabby on January 22, 2020, 10:12:03 PM
He is the one who set up the few chances the team had from open play.

This right here is a good reason. But it would help if he was played in the right way in a functioning midfield. Tom will never be a jack of all trades. Still think he was better than Onomah, and much better than Arter today. The biggest problem is that SP seemingly has no idea what he wants the midfield to do, or at least the players don't seem to know. It feels more and more like the good spells like the first 30 minutes against Boro is happening purely because we have good players and sometimes things just happens to work. There are no signs however that we are following a plan on how to gradually improve. Although injuries hasn't been helping, difficult to feel other than the first half season or so being a waste of time and talent as there is no more of a structure than it was the first few games (actually would say it's less, since Parker seem to chop and change much more as if he's lost faith in his own ideas already).

Great Post, I don't think today's problems are new as people think, I believe we have had the same problems for all this season and all last season. Many people have been blind-sighted by other issues such as "a poor defense", "some expensive acquisitions in 2018 for good players not good enough for the premier league" or "some excellent individual brilliance (Cairney, Cav, Schürrle and Mitrovic)".

But, we have exactly the same problem we have had ever since the summer of 2018 that is the team is not working as a cohesive unit and swapping the squad, after 3 clean sheets in the premier league, in the summer of 2019 only meant the process of learning to work together starts again. In comparison, Charlton looked very cohesive with a very simple plan "park the bus and catch them on the break when they're out of position".

colinwhite

Rational fan it doesnt take a tactical genius to get a bunch of players to park the bus . It takes work but get ateam playing good attacking football at pace requires so much more ,trust me.

filham

Cairney needs to drop back to his deep play making position, that is where he is at his best and somehow seems to get more shots on goal when playing there, He lacks the pace for the more forward role he is being asked to play.

St. Andrews White

Heard from someone on another post that Cairney has been playing through an injury and probably needs an op, so I'll give him credit for playing rather than give him grief

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.