more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 25/01/20...

Started by WhiteJC, January 24, 2020, 03:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans blast Scott Parker after 'dull' draw

Fulham missed the opportunity to close the gap on second-placed Leeds United to just a single point after they were held to a disappointing draw by Championship strugglers Charlton Athletic at the Valley.

Sections of the club's fanbase have been quick to put the blame on Scott Parker, questioning both his tactics and his ability to motivate the team ahead of what was such a vital game.

Here's what some of the supporters had to say regarding the 39-year-old.

What do we think?

It's not uncommon to see supporters of any club turn on their manager in the aftermath of a disappointing result in a game they were expected to win. However, the reality is that Scott Parker has done an excellent job since taking the reins back in February, winning 33 of his 56 matches in charge. The fact that the Cottagers remain in with a chance of achieving automatic promotion despite Wednesday's set-back is evidence of that.

Fulham face Huddersfield Town in their next fixture, a game in which they will no doubt be the favourites to win and the perfect opportunity to get back to winning ways.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/01/twitter/fulham-fans-blast-scott-parker-after-dull-draw/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Strikers To Take The Blame As They Draw A Blank Against A Side That Hasn't Kept A Clean Sheet Since October

This doesn't seem to be the year that Fulham will gain automatic promotion back into the Premier League.

Just as the team looked like they now have a decent enough defence, they hardly managed a worthy shot on target against lowly Charlton, who have been conceding goals in every game for the past
three months.

Without the Cottager's top goalscorer Mitrovic, plus the loss of Kamara and now Knockaert, the team looked powerless and bereft of any ideas going forward. It was so far from the first half showing against Middlesboro, any passive onlooker would have thought they had watched two completely different teams. Gone was any kind of quick thinking, running off the ball, and desire to push for the three points. Charlton fielded a side that was content from the start to stop Fulham scoring, and were looking for a point to steady their ship. This they achieved without too much effort. Apart from a couple of chances that went begging for the visitors, they hardly looked
like promotion candidates on this display.

Fulham supporters must have thought that the second half would bring about their side upping the tempo. How wrong we all were. In fact, apart from a missed header by new fans favourite Hector from a corner, the team faded badly. Suddenly the passing went astray, with Ream often caught out with poor misplaced efforts to find a team-mate. Charlton began to look the more likely to score, although their insistence on time-wasting didn't show they wanted it enough.

When the team sheet was announced before the game it concerned me greatly. We all knew that Mitrovic and Kamara were not available but losing Knockaert who was the Whites hero against Boro, was a real downer. On the subs bench were no proven strikers. Just a couple from the youth team that lacks any real experience. Where was Kebano, the only other player in our squad that has any speed?

It looks like Fulham should desperately be seeking a striker with the pace with the ability to beat players. Bobby Reed and Cavaleiro didn't step up and were pretty listless. Thankfully the opposition lacked any real threat going forward.

I am fearing the outcome on Sunday in the FA Cup away at Man City. Although it is not the club's main priority, and we don't want any more injuries added to the list, it is a chance to gauge how far we have come since last year's pathetic showing in the league's top division. Let's hope we don't make a complete mess of it and get a thrashing.

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/fulhams-strikers-to-take-the-blame-as-they-draw-a-blank-against-a-side-that-hasnt-kept-a-clean-sheet-since-october/

WhiteJC

Man City fans give verdict on Raheem Sterling dilemma for FA Cup tie vs Fulham

Raheem Sterling has not scored or assisted in five appearances as Manchester City prepare to take on Fulham in the FA Cup this weekend.

Raheem Sterling could be rested for Manchester City vs Fulham. (Image: Getty Images)

It would be unfair to say that Raheem Sterling is out of form, but his five games without a goal or assist is something of a drought for the Manchester City No.7.

Sterling has been superb this season, scoring 20 times in 32 appearances, adding six assists. In that context, he can be afforded some quieter games as players like Sergio Aguero and Kevin de Bruyne have taken over the goalscoring responsibilities of late.

However, the winger has looked in need of a rest after his recent barren run infront of goal, and the FA Cup clash against Championship high-flyers Fulham would represent the perfect weekend to take Sterling out of the firing line.

Alternatively, a game against a team that has not scored in their last five visits to the Etihad - or beaten City in 14 attempts - would be an ideal game for Sterling to start and play his way back into form.

Pep Guardiola is expected to make some changes to his starting XI, especially with the Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Manchester United following the Fulham game, and Sterling might be one of the more difficult choices he has to make.

So when MEN Sport posed the dilemma to fans on Twitter, two-thirds wanted Sterling to drop out this weekend to refresh ahead of the next few fixtures.

34% of the 617 votes wanted to see Sterling play and grab a confidence-boosting goal or two, showing the level of decision Guardiola has to make.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-fulham-team-sterling-17621336

WhiteJC

Josh Onomah: 'Tottenham will always be in my heart, but Fulham feels like home now'

Exclusive interview: Ahead of Fulham's FA Cup tie at Manchester City on Sunday, the former Spurs academy standout reflects on leaving his boyhood club after 14 years and his new opportunity in west London

Josh Onomah: 'I've learnt and dealt with a lot over the past two years' ( Rex )

Josh Onomah fiddles at the cast protecting his left hand and laughs off the pain. "It's broken," he says, lifting the arm in the air like a trophy. Once the most electrifying talent in Tottenham's academy, the five years since making his debut have numbed him to most of football's wear and tear. But fleetingly, as Onomah details leaving his boyhood club, a genuine hint of discomfort sticks in his voice.

"I was there since I was eight years old," he says after a slight pause. "Tottenham was my life, my future, and I developed a love for them that will always be in my heart. But that's football for you. Not everything goes to plan. In life, you take a few steps back just to come forward. You have to come out of the bubble and I've needed that in my career. Sometimes that's what being a man is, deciding the right thing for you, [even if it's] to leave your home."

After 14 years at Tottenham, the memories are still a little raw. But "Fulham feels like home now," he says, relaxing back into his chair at the training ground ahead of their FA Cup tie at Manchester City on Sunday. The manager, Scott Parker, and his assistant, Matt Wells, were Onomah's under-18s coaches and had both been pivotal in nurturing the talent which propelled him into the spotlight.  ​

A slick central midfielder, Onomah was just 17 when he made his senior debut under Mauricio Pochettino. Within a next year, he'd started in the Champions League, scored at White Hart Lane, and was seen by several coaches at the club as potentially having a higher ceiling than Harry Winks.

He can't pinpoint an exact moment where that momentum seemed to flatline. Partly, it was due to playing out of position, his opportunities largely coming in snippets on the right wing. But Onomah doesn't shy away from the fact that his own frustration and occasional lack of motivation was largely responsible.

"I wouldn't say I took it for granted but I wasn't 100 per cent focused on football growing up, around the age of 18-20," he says. "[It wasn't until I got injured] that I realised how important it is in my life. I don't think it's healthy to live with regret [about it]. You have to learn from your mistakes. That's what helped shape me as a player and a person.

"Mauricio Pochettino had a big influence on me. He always pushed me, he gave me the advice I needed to make it at Tottenham, and he gave me my debut which I'll forever be thankful for. That was always my dream. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and I felt like I needed games to show what I'm good at and grow as a player."

At a time when the club operated under a strict policy of keeping its best prospects in-house, pushing to go on loan ultimately spelt the beginning of the end of Onomah's time at Tottenham. Thrust into the sweat and grit of the Championship at Aston Villa, he offered snapshots of the individual brilliance seen at youth level, but as the season progressed he couldn't maintain his grip. Still only 20, he had a youthful confidence, but after arriving from a big club and being "expected to perform every week, when it didn't work out it was tough to take".

Josh Onomah made 32 senior appearances for Tottenham (Getty)

The irony doesn't escape Onomah as he recalls losing in the play-off final to Fulham that year. "That was quite an emotional time for me," he says. "We worked so hard that season and fell short at the last hurdle. It was definitely one of the hardest things to take."

The toughest, though, was a loan at Sheffield Wednesday the following season. Dogged by injuries, and then publicly by his own manager, Onomah's star was prematurely fading and the hardened exterior he'd forcibly developed at Villa began to show cracks.

"I feel like I've learnt and dealt with a lot over the past two years," he says. "It's been hard but, fortunately, I've had good people around me who kept encouraging me. That was a huge factor in terms of not crumbling or falling down. In a way, I'm thankful for the injuries because they made me realise how much I love football. You go through ups and downs and it's how you deal with it, that's what matters."

It's been a gradual process to rebuild that confidence at Fulham. Onomah missed another pre-season, stuck in limbo as the two clubs negotiated a fee which would see Ryan Sessegnon move in the other direction, and Parker made sure not to risk any setbacks by rushing him into the starting line-up. "His influence has been very important," Onomah says. "When you have a coach like that, you can put all your trust into him."

For Fulham's supporters, it wasn't until his winner ended Leeds's 11-game unbeaten run last month that the curtain was lifted on Onomah's arrival. To him, though, that first goal in two years finally brought closure on a chapter where dreams have fallen away and been pieced back together. "When the ball hit the back of the net, I sort of froze," he laughs. "I didn't know what to do at first."

"The gaffer and coaching staff have helped kick-start my career," he says, having now started eight of the last 10 games. "I had quite a slow start but that goal was really significant for my confidence. I've got to take the opportunity now. I want to show everyone what I'm best at, how I've grown as a player, that I'm comfortable at Premier League level. Now I've got to earn that."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/josh-onomah-interview-fulham-tottenham-profile-fa-cup-man-city-a9299921.html

WhiteJC

Preview: Manchester City vs. Fulham - prediction, team news, lineups

Manchester City continue their defence of the FA Cup with a fourth-round tie at home to Championship promotion chasers Fulham on Sunday afternoon.

Fulham pulled off an upset by knocking out Aston Villa in the last round, but they have lost their last eight matches against City in all competitions.

City have lacked consistency in the Premier League this term but have been as ruthless as ever in the domestic cup competitions.

Pep Guardiola's men lifted the EFL Cup and FA Cup last season, as well as the Premier League, and are on course to retain both cups.

Having opened up a 3-1 first-leg lead over Manchester United in the EFL Cup, focus now turns to the visit of Fulham on Sunday and Guardiola has indicated he will field a strong XI.

The domestic cups and Champions League will take on added importance for the Citizens in the remaining months of the campaign due to their patchy league form, which has seen them all but relinquish their grip on the title.

Following Thursday night's 2-1 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Liverpool now have a 16-point lead with a game in hand still to play, leaving City to battle it out for second place.

A 2-2 home draw with Crystal Palace aside, City's form over the past month has been impressive as they have won six of their last seven games in all competitions.

That includes a 4-1 win over Port Vale in round three, with four different goalscorers registering at the Etihad Stadium to make it seven FA Cup wins in a row for City.

Fulham are the latest side with aspirations of stopping the reigning English champions, and they have already eliminated one Premier League club in Aston Villa this season.

Not since 2002-03 have they knocked out two top-flight sides in the same FA Cup campaign, however, and Scott Parker's charges enter the match on the back of a disappointing goalless draw at Charlton Athletic in midweek.

The Cottagers' failure to find a way through at The Valley means they remain three points adrift of the automatic promotion spots after playing a game more than the top two.

Earning a place in the Premier League remains the top priority for Parker, but this trip to the Etihad Stadium will be seen as a welcome distraction and a chance to pull off a massive upset.

Manchester City's FA Cup form: W
Manchester City's form (all competitions): WWWWDW

Fulham's FA Cup form: W
Fulham's form (all competitions): WLWWWD

Team News
Aymeric Laporte made a shock return to City's starting lineup against Sheffield United, coinciding with the club's first clean sheet in six matches.

The Frenchman, described as the best defender in the world by Guardiola, is expected to be eased back in after five months out so he could be given a day off on Sunday.

John Stones is carrying a knock but should be okay to feature, while Benjamin Mendy is another who is touch and go due to a muscle injury.

Young defenders Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis are pushing for inclusion, as is cup regular Phil Foden, who has been directly involved in nine goals in eight appearances against lower-league opposition.

As for Fulham, Aleksandar Mitrovic has spent a spell on the sidelines and is out for at least another week, but Parker's injury concerns have otherwise cleared up.

Anthony Knockaert and Aboubakar Kamara are unlikely to be risked here, though, with the home league clash against Huddersfield Town next weekend being pencilled in for their returns.

Manchester City possible starting lineup:
Bravo; Cancelo, Stones, Garcia, Zinchenko; D.Silva, Gundogan, Foden; Bernardo, Aguero, Sterling

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Mawson, Odoi; Arter, Onomah, McDonald, Cairney; Cavaleiro, Reid

We say: Manchester City 3-0 Fulham

Man City have scored 30 goals and conceded only four since last tasting defeat in the FA Cup just under two years ago. Guardiola is expected to field a strong side and that could spell trouble for Fulham, who have lacked goals in the absence of leading marksman Mitrovic.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/fa-cup/preview/preview-man-city-vs-fulham-prediction-team-news-lineups_387311.html

WhiteJC

How Manchester City could line up against Fulham

Manchester City will be looking to maintain their impressive FA Cup run when they welcome Fulham to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Pep Guardiola's men lifted the cup last season and have won their last seven matches in the competition, scoring 30 goals and conceding just four during that run.

After seeing off Port Vale in round three, next up for City is another home tie against a Fulham side that eliminated Aston Villa to reach this stage.

Ahead of this weekend's clash, Sports Mole looks at how Guardiola may set out his side.

Out: Leroy Sane (knee)
Doubtful: John Stones (leg), Benjamin Mendy (muscle)

Aymeric Laporte made his welcome return from a five-month layoff in the 1-0 league win over Sheffield United on Tuesday - City's first clean sheet in six matches.

The France international made his comeback earlier than expected and is likely to be eased back in, meaning Stones - carrying a minor knock - could slot into the backline to provide some experience.

Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis are both pushing for inclusion at the back, meanwhile, with the latter getting the nod against Port Vale earlier this month.

Fellow youngster Phil Foden, a regular in these cup matches, has been directly involved in nine goals in eight appearances against lower-league opposition.

Up top, Sergio Aguero came off the bench to score the winner against United and may be brought back in for Gabriel Jesus, though Guardiola could start both of his recognised strikers.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/fa-cup/predicted-lineups/how-man-city-could-line-up-against-fulham_387317.html

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie Has Been Linked With A Move To A European Heavyweight

While Cyrus Christie was often criticised by some supporters, the Fulham man has been an excellent servant to his country. He was a more than able deputy during Seamus Coleman's long injury layoff, while also being parachuted into the unfamiliar position in central midfield at times under Martin O'Neill.

He carried out both duties to the best of his abilities, putting in some excellent performances at right back. His 23 caps for Ireland have all been earned.

Having had an opportunity with Fulham in the Premier League last season, he didn't capitalise on it in the way he would have hoped. Much of that was to do with the circumstances the club found themselves in, with Fulham all but resigned to relegation for the second half of the campaign.

Now back in the Championship, he is performing well once again. Christie has made 18 appearances as Fulham push for an immediate return to the Premier League. The Ireland international has been especially impressive over the last month or so, and it appears to have attracted the attentions of an unlikely suitor.

Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that Serie A giants Roma are interested in signing Cyrus Christie this month.

They see Christie as an ideal backup to first choice right back Alessandro Florenzi, the 35-cap Italian international. Di Marzio mentions the Irishman's physical attributes as the key reason behind the interest, with his running ability and 188cm frame a major bonus.

Roma are hoping to bring in a couple of players before the end of the window, meaning their interest in Christie looks serious. It is unclear what type of fee Fulham would seek for the defender, or if they would even be willing to let him leave at this late stage of the window.

For the player himself, the move would surely hold plenty of appeal. At 27-years old, a move such as this may not come around again. Roma are one of the most well-known names in European football and have been in the Champions League semi-finals as recently as the 17/18 season.

Having finished sixth last season, they currently sit in fourth place in Serie A and look on course for a return to Europe's premier club competition. They are also through to the last 32 of the Europa League where they will face Belgian side Gent.

Roma are not shy of shopping in English football, having signed the likes of Chris Smalling, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and Aleksnader Kolarov in recent times.

If Christie does make the move, it would certainly do no harm to his international prospects.

https://www.balls.ie/football/cyrus-christie-roma-424877

WhiteJC

The Championship promotion race looks set to be a classic with at least TEN teams fancying their chances of reaching the Premier League after pace-setters West Brom and Leeds stumbled... so who will make it?

Championship promotion race is wide open with thrilling run-in expected
    West Brom and Leeds looked odds-on to take the automatic promotion spots
    But both have stumbled in recent weeks to allow chasing pack to catch up
    Now likes of Fulham, Brentford and Nottingham Forest fancy their chances
    At least 10 teams are still hopeful of ending the season in play-off places

With the exception of Saturday's game between Stoke City and Swansea, the Championship takes a much-needed breather this weekend as the FA Cup takes centre stage.

It's been frenetic in the second tier over recent weeks but the promotion race is shaping up to be a real classic during the final months of the season.

West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United looked absolutely nailed-on to take the two automatic places six weeks ago but they have stumbled and the chasing pack have caught them up.

The likes of Fulham, Nottingham Forest, Brentford, Preston North End and a host of others now fancy their chances of reaching the play-offs at least.

Sportsmail takes a closer look at the fascinating situation at the top end of the Championship.

The state of play in the Championship as most of the league takes a breather for the FA Cup

1st WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Points 53; Goal difference +19; League form DLDDL

It seemed for all the world at the beginning of December that West Brom were cruising back into the Premier League after a couple of seasons away.

When the Baggies won 3-2 at local rivals Birmingham City on December 14, they had the luxury of a 12-point cushion to third place and were odds-on to go up.

Now that margin of comfort stands at a much-slimmer four points after Slaven Bilic's side badly ran out of momentum over the Christmas and New Year period.

After another well below par performance on Monday night in a 1-0 home defeat to Stoke City, West Brom are now six league games with a victory.

West Brom haven't found goals a problem this season - they are the Championship's top scorers with 50 - but even they have dried up in a series of frustrating recent performances.

The goals have come from a range of players as opposed to one principal striker, with Charlie Austin, Hal Robson-Kanu, Matt Phillips, Matheus Pereira and others all chipping in.

To compound matters, Pereira, hugely impressive during his loan from Sporting Lisbon, is now suspended for three matches after elbowing Stoke's Joe Allen on Monday, while Grady Diangana hobbled off injured.

Still, Bilic still has plenty of firepower at his disposal without necessarily having to dip into the transfer market but he needs to recapture the energy and stylish manner of playing that peaked with six straight wins in the autumn.

After falling short in the play-off semi-finals last season, the Baggies will be desperate to gain promotion the easy way and they should still do it.

Next league fixture: Cardiff City (A) on Tuesday January 28

2nd LEEDS UNITED

Points 52; Goal difference +19; League form DWDLL

Are Leeds United falling apart... again?

The gleeful fans of their rivals in the Championship are starting to think so and the evidence is mounting up week after week.

Like West Brom, they could boast a comfortable cushion to third after a storming autumn that saw them win seven consecutive matches and go 11 unbeaten.

But just as their fans were starting to dream of returning to the Premier League after 16 years away, an unexpected collapse in form has Marcelo Bielsa's team glancing anxiously over their shoulder.

It was a defeat at Fulham on December 21 that started a torrid run of just one win in six and now Fulham, and others, are breathing right down their necks after back-to-back losses to Sheffield Wednesday and Queens Park Rangers.

The main problems lie up front with Bielsa's insistence on only having one main striker exposed now that Patrick Bamford's form has dropped off.

Eddie Nketiah has returned to parent club Arsenal and players in other positions seem unable to pick up the slack when it comes to finding the net.

Bielsa also likes to stick with the same team, using a small squad of 18, and given the relentless pace of the Championship, burnout is inevitable.

While Bielsa urgently hunts for a new striker to replace Nketiah in the final days of the transfer window, there are also alarming holes appearing in a once solid defence.

They'd gone 441 minutes without conceding before chucking away a three-goal lead against Cardiff just before Christmas and since then they've conceded 10 times in six games.

Leeds also suffered play-off heartache last season and will be very keen to avoid that whole lottery, but after their alarming drop-off, they may well have to do it the hard way.

Next fixture: Millwall (Home) on Tuesday January 28

3rd FULHAM

Points 49; Goal difference +12; League form WLWWD

They may have failed to close the gap to Leeds to just a solitary point with a toothless performance at Charlton on Wednesday night, but Fulham remain leaders of the chasing pack.

Scott Parker's side have managed to iron out some of the inconsistencies that caused them to drop plenty of points in the opening months of the season.

And given that Fulham's previous runs to a top six finish have really only gathered momentum after Christmas, the omens are good for at least a play-off place.

They certainly don't lack options in attack and like to play an attractive brand of football based on passing and possession, almost strangling opponents before picking holes in their defence.

In the injury absence of the Championship's joint leading scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic, as well as Aboubakar Kamara and Anthony Knockaert, they did struggle to create chances at The Valley.

But when everyone is fit and firing, they are a force to be reckoned with going forward and they've also looked stronger at the back since a run of three straight defeats in December.

Michael Hector, who signed back in September from Chelsea but couldn't play until January, has fitted in nicely at centre-half alongside Tim Ream.

If Fulham can find the consistency of winning form they usually find during the season's home straight, they have every chance of making an immediate return to the top-flight automatically.

Next fixture: Huddersfield Town (H) on Saturday February 1.

4th NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Points 39; Goal difference +11; League form WWDWD

Nottingham Forest have seldom looked even close to making a return to the big time in the two decades since their last appearance in the Premier League.

But things have changed this season after the inspired appointment of the relatively unknown manager Sabri Lamouchi after Martin O'Neill departed last summer.

The strides forward have been impressive in such a short space of time and Forest are currently one of the league's form sides with six unbeaten, including four wins.

They were held at home by Reading on Wednesday night with frustration the theme after conceding an equaliser three minutes after Lewis Grabban's opener, but they remain ensconced in the play-off places.

What has been admirable is the response of Lamouchi and his side since the low point of losing 4-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday in mid-December, a result that now stands out as a real anomaly.

Grabban has been exceptional this season with 16 Championship goals while Forest boast one of the league's best midfields with the likes of Joe Lolley, Tiago Silva, Albert Adomah, Ben Watson and Sammy Ameobi impressing.

For the first time in many years, the Premier League is within Forest's reach though the next three weeks will make the picture clearer as they have to face Brentford, Leeds and West Brom.

Next fixture: Brentford (A) on Tuesday February 28.

5th BRENTFORD

Points 47; Goal difference +23; League form WLWWD

This was always going to be a momentous season for Brentford as they prepare to leave Griffin Park, their home of 116 years, and move to their new Community Stadium down the road.

But, thanks to the adept coaching of Thomas Frank, one of the divisions most lethal strike forces, the league's best defence and a clear commitment to playing football the right way, it could yet be very special indeed.

The Bees could open at their new home as a top division side for the first time since the 1946-47 season, capping a remarkable rise in recent seasons.

Their feared 'BMW' front line of Said Benrahma, Bryan Mbeumo and Ollie Watkins have been supplying the goals and the creativity. Watkins is level with Fulham's Mitrovic on 18 goals in the Golden Boot race.

It's all a far cry from a sluggish start to the season that saw Danish boss Frank begin to fear the worst but Brentford have just gained more and more speed as the weeks have passed by.

Their back line, which sees Pontus Jansson partner Ethan Pinnock in central defence, has conceded just 21 goals, which is the league's lowest tally.

Good form during the hectic Christmas schedule suggests that Brentford can stick the pace of the run-in and if they secure promotion, there will be a huge party as the Griffin Park gates close for the final time.

Next fixture: Nottingham Forest (H) on Tuesday January 28.

6th PRESTON NORTH END

Points 46; Goal difference +8; League form LLDWW

Wins over Charlton and Barnsley in their last two games have lifted Preston back into the play-off spots, their territory for the majority of the season.

With am ambition to return to the top division for the first time since the 1960-61 season, Alex Neil's team made an electric start to the season, winning nine of their first 16 games.

They then suffered the kind of blip suffered by all Championship sides at some point, losing four straight, but their recovery has been strong to resume their place among the congested play-off race.

Neil guided Norwich into the Premier League through the play-offs in 2015 and will likely have to do the same with Preston but he certainly has the knowhow.

Rather like West Brom, the goals this season have been spread throughout the team, with Daniel Johnson, a midfielder, leading the way with eight followed by Josh Harrop and Tom Barkhuizen on seven.

In perhaps lacking one prolific goalscorer, Preston have mastered the art of grinding results out. There are a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 wins on their record this season, as well as battling draws.

Those are exactly the qualities Neil brings and with a set of winnable games coming up, Preston should be able to take a firmer grip on their play-off place.

Next fixture: Swansea City (H) on Saturday February 1.

The other contenders

Outside the current top six, just half-a-dozen points split the teams from seventh to 13th place, highlighting just how open the race is.

Swansea City, under their new manager Steve Cooper, were the early pace-setters before dropping off but there have been recent signs of a revival with four games unbeaten and they will certainly be in the play-off mix.

Below them are a Millwall team in nosebleed territory. More accustomed to fighting relegation, the Lions have taken steps forward since Gary Rowett was appointed to replace Neil Harris.

They have only lost one league game since the beginning of November, finding the consistency that eludes the majority of Championship sides.

Bristol City are in ninth, level with Millwall on 44 points, and having not been far off the play-offs last season, Lee Johnson will be doubly determined to get them over the line this time.

Sheffield Wednesday are 10th but just four points off the play-offs and have been looking good under Garry Monk given the chaos Steve Bruce's departure caused on the eve of the season.

Below them, Blackburn Rovers, Hull City and Cardiff City could be described as outsiders for the top six but a run of wins can change the picture very rapidly in this captivating league.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7920201/Championship-promotion-race-10-teams-mix-West-Brom-Leeds-stumbled.html

WhiteJC

City braced for tough Fulham test, says Guardiola

Pep Guardiola says he and his City players are braced for a tough challenge from Fulham in Sunday's FA Cup fourth round clash at the Etihad.

In the wake of the Cottagers' relegation from the Premier League last season, Scott Parker's side have impressed in the Championship this term and currently lie third in the table.

And, speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of the game, the City boss said he was in no doubt that the Londoners would provide a stern test for his side.

"What I saw, it's a really good team and I like the way they play," Guardiola declared.

READ: Where to watch City v Fulham

BUY: Tickets to watch City v Fulham in the FA Cup

"It's not easy to be relegated and the year after to be there again.

"When a team is third in Championship it's because there is something.

"It's a team that wants to play, it has personality. We spoke about that with the team and hopefully we can play because it's a final.

"We will try and do our best."

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/interviews/2020/january/pep-guardiola-man-city-fulham-press-conference-preview

WhiteJC

City v Fulham: Injury update

Benjamin Mendy and John Stones have recovered from injury and are fit enough to return for Manchester City against Fulham on Sunday.

A leg problem kept Stones out of the midweek win over Sheffield United, which Mendy also missed with a muscular issue, but Pep Guardiola has confirmed that Leroy Sane aside, he has a full squad to choose from ahead our FA Cup fourth round tie against the Cottagers.

The City boss refused to be drawn on whether he would make changes for the game, but says his expectations over the quality of performance remain the same regardless of who is selected.

"Leroy is not fit," he said at his pre-match press conference. "The other ones are good.

"It doesn't matter who we play, we just have to make sure we are good. Always when I name a team, they have the responsibility to win - it doesn't matter my selection."

The return of Aymeric Laporte has bolstered Guardiola's options at centre-half, where injuries have allowed him to blood Academy graduate Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

With the Frenchman now available alongside Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and Fernandinho, the Stockport-born centre-half's first-team opportunities may now be more limited, but Pep is not expecting him to go on loan.

"We didn't speak about that but, no, I think he will stay until the end of the season," he explained.

"If he had an offer from the Premier League, maybe we would consider it for his development, but I don't know about that..

"The best for the players in the second team is to go to as high a team as possible. Playing in the Premier League is better than the Championship.

"We will see. Each player has different perspectives and different approaches."

Meanwhile, the 49-year-old also revealed City will remain in Manchester during the Premier League's first ever winter break.

After a busy eight-game January, the defending champions will be without a fixture on the weekend of 15/16 February and Guardiola will be allowing his players a short break from training.

"We'll have a few days off and then train again," added the Catalan. "Three or four days off and then we'll train for Leicester and Arsenal.

"I want the guys to stay with their families. In this case I decided to be here."

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2020/january/man-city-fulham-fa-cup-injury-news

WhiteJC

What Sean Dyche said on Ben Gibson's future with Middlesbrough and Fulham linked

Clarets defender will not be involved against Norwich City in the FA Cup this weekend

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has confirmed Ben Gibson will not feature in the FA Cup tie with Norwich City this weekend but remained coy on the the centre back's future.

The joint record signing has made just one appearance this term, in the Carabao Cup defeat to Sunderland in August, and has been linked with a move away from Turf Moor this month.

His former club Middlesbrough, along with Fulham and Huddersfield Town, have been credited with an interest but at this stage Burnley are unlikely to entertain a loan deal for the 27-year-old.

And the prospect of any permanent move relies on a club stumping up a large fee given the £15million Burnley paid for Gibson 18 months ago, or the Clarets bringing in a replacement.

Dyche again said any potential signings remain 'unlikely' this month but, after saying there had been interest in Clarets forward Nahki Wells, currently on loan at QPR in the Championship, wouldn't be drawn on Gibson's future.

"There has been all sorts of interest in varying situations here," said the Turf boss.

"Them two names (Gibson and Wells) are part of the club and the group and it is the level of interest that is key.

"There are all kinds of rumours out there and the only level of interest that is key is when I know, that is when you know it is real and at the minute we will keep at that."

Gibson has struggled for game time since joining Burnley, making just one Premier League start.

He had been troubled by a groin problem over Christmas, which kept him out of the FA Cup third round win over Peterborough United in January.

Dyche said earlier this month that he was close to full fitness but needed a game to get his eye in.

But the Clarets boss said the centre half has not had enough training to be considered. 

"He has not had enough training because he has been up and down with a niggly groin so it is unlikely he will feature," said Dyche.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-transfer-news-ben-gibson-17626800

WhiteJC

Scott Parker insists he will not suffer sleepless night before Fulham face City

Fulham boss Scott Parker says he will not endure a sleepless night on Saturday even though Manchester City are now prioritising the cup competitions this season.

Parker takes the Cottagers to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday for their FA Cup fourth-round game against the current holders.

With Liverpool holding a seemingly unassailable lead at the top of the Premier League, Pep Guardiola has said this week that he will be targeting a clean sweep in the three remaining cup competitions his side are in.

That spells bad news for Fulham, who look set to come up against the strongest City side available.

Parker, whose primary target this season is to get his side back into the Premier League, is ready to take the challenge head on.

"I will sleep, I will be fine with that, no worries," he said.

"When you play against City, as they did to Manchester United after 30 minutes or at Aston Villa recently, against any team they have the capability of putting you to the sword when they want to.

"A difficult task but one we are all relishing.

"It is always daunting, they are a world-class team, there is no doubt about that.

"There have been teams that have gone there and have come away with something, so there is always that little bit of hope that you can look to.

"They have got a lot of games and they are in a lot of competitions.

"Whoever Pep decides to use, you will normally see an international player and a strong team. Nothing changes too much for them."

With Fulham third in the Championship and hoping to win promotion, Parker reckons this will be a good yardstick as to where his side are and how he is doing as a young manager.

"It's a big challenge, arguably the greatest manager of our generation," the former England midfielder added. "For me that is a big challenge, but I put the whole football club in that sense.

"We all have aspirations of being in the Premier League, if it is me coaching or the players coming up against the best, then there is no bigger test for any of us than on Sunday.

"I want us to go there and put on a good account.

"The main message for me to my players is go there with big courage and big heart and determination really.

"You go to places like the Etihad and play teams like Man City and you go there without any real conviction and nine times out of 10 you roll out of there with a loss.

"My main message is to go there with courage, let's have a belief about it and try and put our stamp on it."

https://www.thetottenhamindependent.co.uk/sport/national/18185540.scott-parker-insists-will-not-suffer-sleepless-night-fulham-face-city/

WhiteJC

Man City vs Fulham preview
Follow with our live blog on the Sky Sports website and app

Team news and stats ahead of Man City vs Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday (kick-off 1pm).

Team news

Manchester City have close to a full-strength squad available for their FA Cup clash with Fulham at the Etihad Stadium.

Winger Leroy Sane is now their only major absentee with the knee injury that has kept him out for most of the season.

Defender Aymeric Laporte returned to action after almost five months out with a 78-minute run-out at Sheffield United in midweek.

Claudio Bravo, who has started all domestic cup matches so far this season, is likely to play in goal.

Fulham will still be without Aleksandar Mitrovic, Aboubakar Kamara, Neeskens Kebano and Anthony Knockaert for the fourth-round tie.

But head coach Scott Parker said after the goalless midweek draw at Charlton that there is a slim chance all four could be fit for next week's home game against Huddersfield.

Mitrovic (ankle) has missed the last two matches, fellow striker Kamara has played no part since New Year's Day and winger Kabano last featured on Boxing Day.

Winger Knockaert missed out against Charlton due to a knock, while Harrison Reed is still working his way back from a calf injury.

Opta stats

Manchester City and Fulham haven't faced in the FA Cup since January 1914, a gap of 106 years.
    Fulham have lost their last eight matches against Man City in all competitions, most recently a 2-0 defeat in the Premier League in March 2019.
    Man City have won their last seven FA Cup matches, scoring 30 goals and conceding just four since a 1-0 defeat to Wigan in February 2018.
    Fulham, who eliminated Aston Villa in the third round, haven't knocked out two top-flight sides in the same FA Cup season since 2002-03, when they beat Birmingham and Charlton.
    In domestic cup competitions against lower-league opposition, Man City's Phil Foden has been directly involved in nine goals in eight appearances (6 goals, 3 assists).

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-city-vs-fulham/preview/422616

WhiteJC

Manchester City close to full squad for FA Cup tie with Fulham

Manchester City have close to a full-strength squad available for their FA Cup clash with Fulham at the Etihad Stadium.

Winger Leroy Sane is now their only major absentee with the knee injury that has kept him out for most of the season.

Defender Aymeric Laporte returned to action after almost five months out with a 78-minute run-out at Sheffield United in midweek.

Claudio Bravo, who has started all domestic cup matches so far this season, is likely to play in goal.

Fulham will still be without Aleksandar Mitrovic, Aboubakar Kamara, Neeskens Kebano and Anthony Knockaert for the fourth-round tie.

But head coach Scott Parker said after the goalless midweek draw at Charlton that there is a slim chance all four could be fit for next week's home game against Huddersfield.

Mitrovic (ankle) has missed the last two matches, fellow striker Kamara has played no part since New Year's Day and winger Kabano last featured on Boxing Day.

Winger Knockaert missed out against Charlton due to a knock, while Harrison Reed is still working his way back from a calf injury.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/manchester-city-close-full-squad-fa-cup-tie-fulham

WhiteJC

Bobby Deal Made Permanent

The Club is delighted to confirm that Bobby Decordova-Reid's move from Cardiff City has been made permanent.

The versatile forward became an immediate fan favourite after initially joining on loan, and he has now committed his future to Fulham until the summer of 2023, with a Club option to extend by a year.

"It's very nice to get it done and dusted," Bobby told fulhamfc.com. "Now we progress with the season and hopefully there's big things to come.

"Hopefully the fans are happy about it! Now we move on and fight to get promoted."

Tony Khan added: "Bobby has been a real asset for us since he joined in the summer, putting in really strong performances when called on and scoring some important goals.

"This was one of the deals I did that was close to the wire on deadline day, and I'm delighted that we managed to get it across the line and now make it permanent, as Bobby's been great for us and we expect there's a lot more to come.

"Come on, Fulham!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/24/bobby-decordova-reid-deal-made-permanent

WhiteJC

Decordova-Reid makes permanent move

Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that Fulham have completed the permanent transfer of Bobby Decordova-Reid for an undisclosed fee.

We'd like to thank Bobby for the time he spent at Cardiff City Stadium and wish him well for the future.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/decordova-reid-permanent-move

WhiteJC

Winter Sale Ends Next Friday

Winter Sale Ends Next Friday!

One week remains to take advantage of our Winter Sale, with fans able to shop the sale until 11.59pm on Friday 31st January!

With up to 70% off selected retail products, the sale ranges from everyday accessories to replica kits - don't miss your chance to pick up some bargain Fulham products instore and online!

Happy Shopping!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/24/winter-sale-ends-next-friday

WhiteJC

Burnley's Ben Gibson 'desperate to leave' with Middlesbrough his preferred option over Fulham or Huddersfield

According to Teesside Live, Burnley's stance on Ben Gibson has changed this week, with the defender now being allowed to leave.

Sean Dyche wanted to keep Gibson at the club until they could find a suitable replacement. But Burnley have now performed a u-turn on their stance with the central-defender 'desperate to leave'.

Middlesbrough, Huddersfield and Fulham reportedly had a loan offer rejected earlier this week, but any fresh bids from the trio could prompt a different response from the Clarets.

Teesside Live state that a return to the Riverside would be Gibson's 'preferred option', given it is his hometown club and he captained the side before his £15 million move to Turf Moor in 2017.

He is 'desperate to leave' on loan according to the report, in a bid of getting more playing time. He has only featured once in the Premier League since arriving at Burnley, in a 5-1 defeat to Everton, a game in which Gibson scored his side's only goal of the game.

The only hurdle is Gibson's wages. The defender is one of the Clarets' highest earners, given his big-money move three seasons ago. But Middlesbrough do remain interested and will be hopeful of getting a deal over the line before the January 31st deadline.

Middlesbrough currently have a defensive injury crisis, with no first-team centre backs fit. Dael Fry limped off in the 1-1 draw with Birmingham in midweek, whilst Dani Ayala, George Friend and Ryan Shotton remain long-term absentees.

They have also enquired about the availability of Bournemouth central defender Jack Simpson, who could also be allowed to leave on loan this month.

https://the72.co.uk/155491/burnleys-ben-gibson-desperate-to-leave-with-middlesbrough-his-preferred-option-over-fulham-or-huddersfield/

WhiteJC

The expected XI Parker is likely to field for Fulham against Manchester City

On Sunday, Fulham take on Manchester City as the FA Cup returns for another weekend, with the Cottagers aiming to progress past their Premier League opponents.

Fulham boss Scott Parker will get to test his tactical mind against one of the best in the game, coming in the form of former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola.

The Cottagers' game against Fulham will be a test where there is no pressure on the shoulders of the home side, and Parker now has to decide which team is up to the task as they take on the reigning Premier League champions.

Here, we take a look at the expected XI that Parker is likely to field when Manchester City come to town...

Marek Rodak will keep his spot as the last line of defence to try and prevent Manchester City from putting the ball in the back of the net.

Watford transfer target Joe Bryan will be handed the left-back spot, with his energetic style of play set to cause Manchester City some problems, while Tim Ream and Michael Hector continue to form a solid partnership at centre-back.

At right-back, the more defensive Cyrus Christie could come in for Dennis Odoi, to try and provide better balance down the right.

In the centre of midfield, Kevin McDonald will be handed the task of attempting to mark Kevin De Bruyne out of the game in the defensive midfield role, while further ahead of him, Harry Arter will be the box-to-box midfielder and Tom Cairney will be allowed to try and roam as he creates opportunities from deep.

On the flanks, Josh Onomah and Ivan Cavaleiro will have a tough task at trying to get past the likes of Kyle Walker and Angelino, with summer signing Bobby Reid starting as the lone striker, as Aleksandar Mitrovic continues to sit on the sidelines because of an injury to his ankle ligaments.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-expected-xi-parker-is-likely-to-field-for-fulham-against-manchester-city/

WhiteJC

Bobby Decordova-Reid: Fulham sign Cardiff City forward on permanent deal

Bobby Decordova-Reid's best season to date saw him score 21 goals for Bristol City in 2017-18

Fulham have completed the permanent signing of forward Bobby Decordova-Reid from fellow Championship side Cardiff City, for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old spent the first half of the season on loan at Craven Cottage, scoring four goals in 25 appearances.

Decordova-Reid joined Cardiff for £10m from Bristol City in 2018, his five Premier League goals last season not enough to keep the Bluebirds up.

He has signed until 2023, with Fulham having the option of a further year.

"It's very nice to get it done and dusted. Now we progress with the season and hopefully there's big things to come," Decordova-Reid told the club website.

Fulham's vice-chairman Tony Khan said: "I'm delighted that we managed to get it across the line and now make it permanent, as Bobby's been great for us and we expect there's a lot more to come."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51243284