watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mawson

Started by ByTheRiver, September 20, 2020, 05:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Two weeks ago we let him go, two weeks later we still don't have a replacement. Anyway, that drum has had a fair banging, so surely even those so wanting to defend our DoF actions against any and all evidence, can now see the ludicrous nature of the situation. But, I digress, the point is; in that two weeks, he has now taken the captains armband, won the hearts of Bristol City fans, and win the game with a MOTM performance and a clean sheet today. See bits on Twitter and their forum for insights. 'Special, special player' etc.

Why didn't it work out here? Was playing next to Tim Ream too much of a head wobbler that he could just never recover from?

Statto

Predictable

Our CB pairing for the Arsenal game in the absence of new signings should have been Mawson and Hector

res

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 20, 2020, 05:42:11 PM
Two weeks ago we let him go, two weeks later we still don't have a replacement. Anyway, that drum has had a fair banging, so surely even those so wanting to defend our DoF actions against any and all evidence, can now see the ludicrous nature of the situation. But, I digress, the point is; in that two weeks, he has now taken the captains armband, won the hearts of Bristol City fans, and win the game with a MOTM performance and a clean sheet today. See bits on Twitter and their forum for insights. 'Special, special player' etc.

Why didn't it work out here? Was playing next to Tim Ream too much of a head wobbler that he could just never recover from?

Didn't work out as he was injured for so long. A season on loan in the Championship is what he needs, and, if he stays fit, what we need from him if he returns from loan next year.

filham

Based on players performances after leaving us perhaps we should resign Dan Burn and Cauley Woodrow along with Mawson then we could forget about our usual late window blunders for a while.

Tabby

Given the way that he left I assume that the problem was between him and Parker.

LRCN

Feedback from bristol city fans here:

Lets see if this holds for the season, but maybe we can have a 'zambo' situation on our hands next year.

Milo

Sorry.. But we saw a lot of Mawson and gave him plenty of chances.

He was hit by injuries that were not his fault but ultimately as the seasons went by and he continuously didn't break into the team I stand by TK in letting him go.

Best of luck to him.. but he isn't going to solve our CB Premiership issues. Lest not forget Ream was borderline player of the year last season too.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Tabby on September 20, 2020, 06:07:45 PM
Given the way that he left I assume that the problem was between him and Parker.

Yep that was my understanding.  SP wanted him out.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Milo on September 20, 2020, 06:22:46 PM
Sorry.. But we saw a lot of Mawson and gave him plenty of chances.

He was hit by injuries that were not his fault but ultimately as the seasons went by and he continuously didn't break into the team I stand by TK in letting him go.

Best of luck to him.. but he isn't going to solve our CB Premiership issues. Lest not forget Ream was borderline player of the year last season too.

The rest I can agree with (to a point - he shouldn't have been let go unless a replacement is waiting in the wings to be announce that day or the day after. You know, like 'normal' clubs do) but let's not strict reality. Team wouldn't have made the top 5 in players of the year. He was directly responsible for the loss of points in 6 or 7 games (I was at a lot of them, Stoke away, etc). The first promotion season I'll give you, but that wasn't really as a defender as he never actually had to defend. The play style was build around covering for him (and other 'limitations in defence' - see several interviews with Slavisa where he said this wasn't his preferred tactics but how he had to play with the players he had).

I'm not saying Mawson was or is the answer btw. Just that he is playing brilliantly two weeks after we let him go. Which seems strange?

Beamer

Played 90 mins for BC today, clean sheet in a 2-0 win away to Stoke. Just saying.
I accept that it is only a matter of time before he is out injured again but can't help but agree it seems strange to have let him go before we had a replacement on board.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 20, 2020, 06:27:33 PM
Quote from: Tabby on September 20, 2020, 06:07:45 PM

Yep that was my understanding.  SP wanted him out.
Yep, I agree that was also my understanding. But you'd imagine that would be decided and agreed with a replacement set up. If mitro and Parker have a bust up tomorrow in training, should we also let Mitro go and not bring in a replacement before 5th October? How do you suspect we would fare?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: filham on September 20, 2020, 06:01:00 PM
Based on players performances after leaving us perhaps we should resign Dan Burn and Cauley Woodrow along with Mawson then we could forget about our usual late window blunders for a while.

Hah. Fair! Though they left as relatively young players who hadn't had much game time with us and there was always scope for them to improve as the years went by and they found a home. Mawson, on the other hand, let go (for bust up reason, for 'he'll never be fit' reasons, whatever) turns in great captains performance a matter of days after leaving. That strikes me as a little odd.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: res on September 20, 2020, 05:51:40 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 20, 2020, 05:42:11 PM

Didn't work out as he was injured for so long. A season on loan in the Championship is what he needs, and, if he stays fit, what we need from him if he returns from loan next year.

Maybe. Although if the situation/fall out with Parker was so bad that we had to let him go without a replacement, then I don't see how he can come back whilst Parker is still here.

That said, if TK doesn't bring in the players that are so desperately needed, that isn't a situation we'll have to worry about (as Parker will take the bullet as was ever thus).

Milo

I faintly remember him coming back one year recently from injury and having 1-2 games where we thought he was "back!". However slowly faded out.

I honestly hope he resurrects his career because it's honestly not his fault he kept getting injured. However, with however many seasons of not breaking through, I do not blame management for letting him out on loan. It's a question of how long we would've waited for him to suddenly make it.. and then asking ourselves whether he would have made it at Prem level etc etc.. and the prognosis was rather poor.

Not undermining the thread in the least by the way! Think it's very interesting you highlighted all this. Just adding my thoughts. I wish him well, but I don't denounce decisions made re: letting him go.

absenteeism

Parker's arrogance has cost him a good centre half.

Who knew the solution was right under our nose

sunburywhite

Quote from: absenteeism on September 20, 2020, 06:56:22 PM

If Mawson was the answer fu5cks knows what the question was
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

FFC1987

Did you watch much of Mawson when he played for us?

alfie

A lot of assumptions being made, I don't think I have ever seen arrogance from Parker.

Funny only recently nobody wanted Mawson anywhere near the team, now all of a sudden he is flavour of the month.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Nero

I would point out Mawson keot a clean sheet in the championship, we even managed that last year a few time without him. I mean Ream kept a few last year so on that basis he must be the answer

Whitestone

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 20, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Did you watch much of Mawson when he played for us?

There are issues around Mawson's departure that we as supporters aren't fully aware of. If rumours are to believed there has been a falling out with Parker which is disappointing because Mawson is a proven LCB in the Premier League who was at one stage called up by Gareth Southgate for England duty, so he can't be as hopeless as some believe and I was a Luton on Boxing Day when he had a shocker so I can understand why there are concerns.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to understand the circumstances of his departure in more detail, particularly as an injury free Mawson would be a shoe in for the LCB spot currently on the basis that Ream, Odoi and Le Marchand clearly aren't anywhere near good enough for the Premier League.

Now I know there are doubters about Mawson just as there were and probably still are about Anguissa, although I can't imagine why after yesterday. Mawson's injury situation historically has blighted his career at Fulham so far but he's still the best LCB on the books IMO.

Hoping the club resolve this long standing problem ASAP.