watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cyrus Christie

Started by Pluto, September 18, 2021, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

The club needs to resolve Cyrus' situation ASAP. He was handed a new contract in the summer after a fantastic season at Forest when he was one of their players of the season. With the ability to get forward and defend, he's a much better option than Odoi, who is a liability as a starter at this level. Yet we have Christie rotting in the reserves and are forced to make do without even having a full back on the bench. Odoi is fine as an emergency experienced utility guy, but he is so error prone and only ever passes it sideways to a centre back which doesn't work with our style. He should not be starting week in week out at 33 years old.

Ridiculous decision by the club to hand Christie a new deal with the expectation of being able to grind out a small fee for him. Now we are stuck paying him £20k a week to do nothing all season. It's just abysmal management. I don't blame him at all for refusing a move. If we wanted him gone, we should have done the right thing and let him walk for free.

Come on Fulham - sort this situation out so we can start with a Championship quality right back until Tete is back. Worst case scenario, he improves his value and we get a fee in January.

St Eve

Don't understand the new contract at all. He should have been let go

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

ODOI had a good game today and created
some good crosses and 'situations down the right wing
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Pluto on September 18, 2021, 05:51:38 PM

Ridiculous decision by the club to hand Christie a new deal with the expectation of being able to grind out a small fee for him. Now we are stuck paying him £20k a week to do nothing all season. It's just abysmal management. I don't blame him at all for refusing a move. If we wanted him gone, we should have done the right thing and let him walk for free.

Nonsense, Christie's wages were a good investment. Christie makes up about 1.5% of our expenses, or looking at it another way we could afford 6.5 players in every position at those wages.

Players like Fabri, Christie, Odoi, Quina and Kebano aren't quality players, but I think it would be a mistake to give those five away on a free transfer and bring in one quality player like Cavelrio (and if you want to bring in real quality like Wilson then you would have sacfrice a lot more squad players).

Christie is excellent value and Silva needs to tell Odoi he will be competing wiki Christie (and anyone else that can kick a ball at FFC) for the right back spot. We need to improve at right back, maybe some more gametime for Odoi does the trick, maybe Christie needs a chance or maybe Fossey/S.Sess step up.

HV71

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on September 19, 2021, 02:38:54 AM

+1

Whitestone

Quote from: HV71 on September 19, 2021, 05:41:13 AM
Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on September 19, 2021, 02:38:54 AM

+1

Whilst I agree with comments about Odoi's offensive play yesterday it's his defending that isn't good enough. A better right back wouldn't have given Ejaria the time and opportunity to score the first goal.
We've all seen more than enough of Odoi to know that he isn't consistent and will have defensive lapses which result in goals scored.
Defensively Christie is slightly better than Odoi. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but it needs sorting and Christie needs game time starting with the Leeds match on Tuesday.

bobby01

Every time we lose Odoi gets the blame. Always been the same.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Whitestone on September 19, 2021, 07:52:23 AM

Whilst I agree with comments about Odoi's offensive play yesterday it's his defending that isn't good enough. A better right back wouldn't have given Ejaria the time and opportunity to score the first goal.
We've all seen more than enough of Odoi to know that he isn't consistent and will have defensive lapses which result in goals scored.
Defensively Christie is slightly better than Odoi. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but it needs sorting and Christie needs game time starting with the Leeds match on Tuesday.

Odoi is one of the best ten right backs in the Championship, not bad for a reserve.

Ejaria is one of the best four left wingers in the championship and he plays another 30 games this season as well as he did yesterday, then he is the best player in the championship.

Odoi is ok as a squad player and if the other 10 players play to their potential every game (although that is huge assumption), then we will kill this league.

HV71

Quote from: bobby01 on September 19, 2021, 09:32:46 AM

Agreed - no one seems to mention ( that the so far excellent Tosin ) turns his back for the first goal and also didn't cover himself in glory for the second.
It was a bad day at the office - we shouldn't scapegoat players that have played well so far this season

Whitestone

Quote from: HV71 on September 19, 2021, 09:44:06 AM

Agreed - no one seems to mention ( that the so far excellent Tosin ) turns his back for the first goal and also didn't cover himself in glory for the second.
It was a bad day at the office - we shouldn't scapegoat players that have played well so far this season

I suggested that Tosin could have done better for the second goal in another post.
Why on earth do you mention scapegoating players ? Giving fair and reasonable critique isn't scapegoating ? Odoi may be a fan favourite but he isn't good enough and will continue to cost the team if he is the regular right back until Tete's return. It's been happening for years but bizarrely seems to get overlooked by some because he's a good guy who plays with passion and commitment. His positioning for the first was terrible. It's been happening for years.

Whitestone

Have you considered that there might be a reason for that ? By the way no one is blaming Odoi for the loss just his poor play.

HV71

Quote - Why on earth do you mention scapegoating players ?
...... His positioning for the first was terrible. It's been happening for years.

This !
I would respect your opinion more if it was balanced. You can come over like a cracked record I really like BDR but yesterday he had a stinker . I don't mind posters criticising players but it's so often the same posters who jump on a specific player the moment they aren't up to scratch. Have it your way though - you must be right I will just ignore your obviously biased opinion

Whitestone

Quote from: HV71 on September 19, 2021, 10:07:07 AM
Quote - Why on earth do you mention scapegoating players ?
...... His positioning for the first was terrible. It's been happening for years.

This !
I would respect your opinion more if it was balanced. You can come over like a cracked record I really like BDR but yesterday he had a stinker . I don't mind posters criticising players but it's so often the same posters who jump on a specific player the moment they aren't up to scratch. Have it your way though - you must be right I will just ignore your obviously biased opinion

Can I respectfully suggest you look up the meaning of scapegoating. Its when someone gets the blame for the wrongdoings of others. The comments I have made about Odoi concern his play as an individual. Thats not scapegoating.

It's disappointing that a fellow poster should resort to insults when they don't agree with another's opinion.

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

Deeping_white

How do you explain every team attacking us down our right hand side since Tete got injured? Almost like teams know he's our weak link

MartyFFC

I think Denis has done OK since he came in, however there's no doubt he's a huge downgrade on Tete

Gezza

Totally agree

Nero

Quote from: Gezza on September 19, 2021, 02:18:25 PM

Totally agree

So you remember when Hector used to be a good defender but he got worse with a certain RB playing next to him, it's happening again.

Pluto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 19, 2021, 04:45:04 AM
Quote from: Pluto on September 18, 2021, 05:51:38 PM

Nonsense, Christie's wages were a good investment. Christie makes up about 1.5% of our expenses, or looking at it another way we could afford 6.5 players in every position at those wages.

Players like Fabri, Christie, Odoi, Quina and Kebano aren't quality players, but I think it would be a mistake to give those five away on a free transfer and bring in one quality player like Cavelrio (and if you want to bring in real quality like Wilson then you would have sacfrice a lot more squad players).

Christie is excellent value and Silva needs to tell Odoi he will be competing wiki Christie (and anyone else that can kick a ball at FFC) for the right back spot. We need to improve at right back, maybe some more gametime for Odoi does the trick, maybe Christie needs a chance or maybe Fossey/S.Sess step up.

That's what I meant. It's a great investment IF we actually play him. If we have no intention of playing the bloke and are planning to let him chill in the reserves all season, it's a massive waste of money.

Pluto

Didn't mean this thread to turn into Odoi bashing - I like the guy as a utility man who can fill in when needed, and he's done an okay job the past few games (though still looks error prone).

But the fact is Tete is out for a significant length of time and we have a better right back on the books who we're paying to do nothing. The club are going so far out of their way not to play him, that we had no full backs on the bench against Reading. Yet we just gave him a new deal. It's baffling to me.