watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WBA, Bournemouth, and Coventry

Started by ChesterTheTabby, September 24, 2021, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

They seem to have it figured out. They won't slip up to the likes of Blackpool it seems. Here's to hoping we figure ourselves out this weekend. Come on Marco and Lads!!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Sgt Fulham

They will all slip many times. If we're worried about those teams then we can forget automatic promotion anyway; we're better than the lot of them.

Blawarmy

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on September 24, 2021, 09:59:43 PM
They will all slip many times. If we're worried about those teams then we can forget automatic promotion anyway; we're better than the lot of them.
If we can find consistency we'll piss this league. 

Whitestone

It's still very early days. Unlike the predictable Premier League the Championship takes about three months to settle down. I doubt Coventry will be anywhere near the top at the business end of the season. Consistency is the key and it's fair to say that no team has found it so far.

General

Yeah think it's still early.

Peterborough have shipped quite a few goals this season so a win against them isn't something that will be a good gauge of where a team is at. Coventry have also generally played lower league sides so far.

Dont forget just before games last week we were first and Bournemouth had just had a run of games where they'd got unconvincing results.

We were flying until we lost two games in a row - leeds (people don't seem to view that as a loss) and our last game in the league.

This game is important and indicative of what state we're genuinely in - whether our tactics are one dimensional and whether silva has been figured out. With our squad we shouldn't be losing three out of four in this league (it's better now than under Parker- who struggled more admittedly).

On top of all of that, under slavisa we only ever got going from dec/Jan and still managed to reach playoffs in most seasons under him.

Teams will not last whole season.. squad depth should play a key role.

fulhamfan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: fulhamross on September 25, 2021, 12:05:31 AM
Coventry will fall away

If Coventry is a major challenge for our promotion and we get promoted, then next season we will get relegated.

This season has three levels of success i) we get promoted with a good chance of long term premier league future; ii) we get promoted knowing we need to use some of the budget to reinforce to stay a yo-yo team and iii) various versions of not getting promoted.

MartyFFC

9 games in and we've concluded Coventry won't slip up. Bizarre

legana

I don't like all the silly claims that we'll 'walk the league with record points', etc. The Championship is a tough league where the games come thick and fast and the refereeing isn't great. However, I think we will go up automatically as we have strength in depth that other teams don't and they will suffer more when key players are injured and trying to fit in two games a week during the winter...

Sting of the North

Quote from: MartyFFC on September 25, 2021, 08:43:34 AM
9 games in and we've concluded Coventry won't slip up. Bizarre

It's the same every season. Two years ago some posters thought Charlton would be fighting for automatic promotion because of a good start to the season... same with Reading I believe it was.

rebel

Silva needs to play a settled 11, build that platform, then if he introduces a squad player when needed we will do well. Understanding is the key to success. When we had the 4 wins I thought we were getting there, a bit of a shambles since then.

Andy S

It's much too early to talk about promotion.Anyone who does is only putting unnecessary pressure on themselves. The pressures on to start with as we were premier league last season so clubs base their season on beating us. Later on it is down to where we are in the table. It all means that we have to battle in every game as there are only minor differences between most clubs. Sometimes it's about where we are playing and when as well as who is injured and who is fit

H4usuallysitting

Coventry are having a nosebleed
WBA will be top 6
Boscombe will fall away

Woolly Mammoth

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I agree that the embarrassing naive nonsense sent by posters arrogantly claiming we will walk the League and break records of epic proportions was misguided.
Let us hope we never have to read that kind of drivel again.
The League Competition is not a sprint it is a marathon, and the further up the mountain you go, the more treacherous the path.
46 matches, 8/9 months of challenge and toil for every team on a road full of potholes, ambushes, injuries, illness, loss of form, suspensions, goals change games and unexpected individual mistakes that turn games round suddenly like WBA v QPR last night, and of course errors of judgement and decisions by referees and linos.
Stir this together and we have a Cocktail of pure Theatre, heartache, joy, disappointment and celebration.
There will be winners and losers and also rans.
There will be wonderful victories and glorious defeat.
There will be games like Blackpool and Reading and games like Stoke and Millwall.
So the first 46 matches are the most important, and let's face it there will be 23 other teams after our scalp, but also everyone of those teams will have there own problems and we have to maximise theres and at the same time minimise our own.
We are in a good place, let us embrace it and build on it and keep it ticking over.
Consistency is the key and we have the players to win games for us, and the players to save games for us.
We have to remember we are not the finished article, but then who is, it is only September so let's enjoy the spectacle. 

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 25, 2021, 10:13:29 AM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I agree that the embarrassing naive nonsense sent by posters arrogantly claiming we will walk the League and break records of epic proportions was misguided.
Let us hope we never have to read that kind of drivel again.
The League Competition is not a sprint it is a marathon, and the further up the mountain you go, the more treacherous the path.
46 matches, 8/9 months of challenge and toil for every team on a road full of potholes, ambushes, injuries, illness, loss of form, suspensions, goals change games and unexpected individual mistakes that turn games round suddenly like WBA v QPR last night, and of course errors of judgement and decisions by referees and linos.
Stir this together and we have a Cocktail of pure Theatre, heartache, joy, disappointment and celebration.
There will be winners and losers and also rans.
There will be wonderful victories and glorious defeat.
There will be games like Blackpool and Reading and games like Stoke and Millwall.
So the first 46 matches are the most important, and let's face it there will be 23 other teams after our scalp, but also everyone of those teams will have there own problems and we have to maximise theres and at the same time minimise our own.
We are in a good place, let us embrace it and build on it and keep it ticking over.
Consistency is the key and we have the players to win games for us, and the players to save games for us.
We have to remember we are not the finished article, but then who is, it is only September so let's enjoy the spectacle.

I think people realise this team at its best is as good as Tigana's squad and better than Slavisa's squad, but no where near as consistent as either squad and most of the players are not as up for a marathon (as say a KMac and Stafjo). So naturally, I think this season more than any other we will be pissing the league one minute and needed to rotate half the squad a few weeks later. Honestly, I don't think the league is super strong this season and we have a lot of hot/cold players to rotate, so provided we can rotate our player well I think we should scrap automatic promotion. Managing this squad will take a lot of talent, but the skill and depth is there. Expect a rollercoaster.

bog

Quote from: fulhamross on September 25, 2021, 12:05:31 AM
Coventry will fall away

After what their fans have been through in recent times I hope they make the playoffs.   :54:

092.gif

Twig

Some of the posts on here have been foolish naivety at best or dumb arrogance at worst. Either way we've had an early season wake up call. Yes I expect us to be promoted, quite possibly in the top two. But will we romp it? No way. It'll be a long tough season, so let's get behind our lads and cut down on all the blame game nonsense because we will need every member of our squad in the coming months!

Skatzoffc

We have a good squad with depth.
Imo we will take control over the winter months and the other teams with less depth will fade away in the 2nd half of the season.

We should be comfortable top 2 this season.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Somerset Fulham

Coventry appear to have a very good manager in Robins so I wouldn't rule them out completely but they aren't competition for the top two spots.

We'll be there or there abouts and if we aren't then Silva has failed. It's as simple as that really.

Ara's bacon crisps

It's very early days to be predicting how the season will go. Just for reference, in mid December 2017 we lost 1-0 to a woeful Sunderland side, dropped to 16th I believe and then look what happened after that.

We may have started this season like an express train, and then had a couple of bumps, but the manager is only 8 league games in and surely still working out what is his best side from our enormous squad. Mawson returning will only make us stronger. Carvalho returning will only make us stronger. Hiding Cav's boots will only make us stronger - sorry, couldn't resist it...

There's a long way to go. Have patience and, as Micky would have said, keep the faith. COYW!