more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (18/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 18, 2011, 08:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Bolton Wanderers – Match Review

The misery continues for rock bottom Bolton after they lost for the seventh time in eight games as Fulham ran out comfortable winners at Craven Cottage.

Boss Owen Coyle saw the pressure levels on his shoulders rise considerably as the Trotters made it five defeats in a row and 13 for the season to keep them rooted to the foot of the Premier League table. Lacking in any sort of confidence and leadership it took Martin Jol's side just 35 minutes to secure all three points with Clint Dempsey opening the scoring just after the half hour mark before Bryan Ruiz double that advantage just two minutes later. This one was a must win for the Cottagers after they lost against Swansea last week and will be delighted that this victory leaves them with a nice five point cushion above the relegation zone. Bolton, on the other hand, are a similar amount of points away from safety and could be cut further adrift if they don't start winning games over the festive period.

It was always going to be tough for the visitors to leave the Thames with three points under their belts with Fulham spoiling after their Europa League exit in mid-week. They certainly displayed their intentions from the first whistle as they dominated the game and were rarely tested by Coyles side who looked toothless in all areas of the field. Nigel Reo-Coker had one of the few Bolton efforts with an early strike before the home side took control with Andy Johnson shooting off target before Brede Hangeland headed wide. John Arne Riise then drew a smart save from Jussi Jaaskelainen as the hosts continued their attempts to break the deadlock. They didn't have to wait much longer as Dempsey rose and steered home Ruiz's for his eighth goal of the season before the Costa Rican doubled that lead just a few minutes later. Many fans have questioned whether Ruiz is worth the £11 million splashed out on him in the summer but he went a long way to repaying a large chunk of that price tag running onto Dempsey's through ball before confidently looking the ball into the net.

The visitors improved slightly in the second half with Mark Davies forcing Stockdale into a smart save before substitutes Chris Eagles and David N'Gog went close after Coyle through them both on in an effort to claw back a point. However Fulham's attacking intentions didn't relent and the Trotters had Gary Cahill to thank for keeping the score at 2-0 with some superb defending. The win leaves the Cottagers just outside the top half whilst Bolton head into a crunch relegation six-pointer with Blackburn on Tuesday knowing they must win to stand any chance of beating the drop.

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/12/football-news/fulham-2-0-bolton-wanderers-match-review?

WhiteJC

Jol delighted with Bolton win
by DAN on DECEMBER 17, 2011

Martin Jol was delighted that Fulham quickly recovered from their European exit with a comfortable win over Bolton at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Fulham manager identified the need to get back to winning ways swiftly after their elimination from the Europa League by Odense in midweek and was happy with his side's performance as goals from Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz guided them past Owen Coyle's struggling side.

The most important thing was the points after the disappointment on Wednesday. I thought we did well in the first half, linked up well with Moussa Dembele, Clint (Dempsey), Bryan Ruiz, sliding balls into Andy Johnson.It was a nice balance.

You would like to score the third goal but we didn't do that and gave them the momentum. It was a bit sloppy in midfield. That was the only thing I thought could be corrected.

Jol was delighted with Bryan Ruiz's role in the victory, with the Costa Rican winger beginning to show just why Fulham parted with £10.5m to bring him in from FC Twente.

I expect him to do what he did today because that's what he did on a weekly basis [at Twente]. Of course it is a different ball game here. Today he was not perfect but he can set up goals like he did with the first one and score ones like he did against Everton.

The Fulham manager also hopes that the club's early European exit could help their league form.

Hopefully it is a blessing to go out. It's nice to be in Europe but if you don't win it you can punish yourself. I think the players will agree, it was harsh to go out but we can focus on different things now like the Premier League.

Jol also confirmed that Bobby Zamora missed the match after aggravating a knee problem in training on Friday.

Bobby had a late test today and he was not fit to start. He could have played maybe 10 minutes but that was not enough. Yesterday we had to drop him out of training. He couldn't start.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/jol-delighted-with-bolton-win/?

WhiteJC

Trotta makes it three in three

Marcello Trotta scored his third goal in three games for Wycombe as the Chairboys drew 2-2 with Carlisle at Brunton Park this afternoon.

The Italian teenager had a busy afternoon up front for Wycombe, first being denied a brilliant curled opener on 17 minutes by a fine save from Carlisle keeper Adam Collin. He then hit the post as he poked the ball towards goal from an acute angle and with the score at 1-1, the Fulham loanee restored the visitors' lead with a terrific strike. He collected a pass from strike partner Scott Beavon and finished clinically. There was controversy in the second half when Carlisle striker Lee Miller appeared to stamp on Trotta, but the referee didn't see the incident. Wycombe couldn't hold on the win – a late equaliser from substitute Francois Zoko securing a point for the home side.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/trotta-makes-it-three-in-three/?

WhiteJC

Trotta wants to extend Wycombe loan

Marcello Trotta says he would like to extend his loan spell at Wycombe after scoring his third goal in three games for the Chairboys.

The Italian striker only joined Wycombe on a month's loan from Fulham but hopes that the Premier League will agree to an extension. The 19 year-old, who has been a regular scorer for Fulham's youth team and reserve side, has formed a potent partnership with Scott Beavon up front for Wycombe and is enjoying his time at Adams' Park. His third goal for the League 1 club came in their 2-2 draw at Carlisle this afternoon.

It has been a good experience for me and when I score I am happy. I hope to score more and help this team go up the table.

I am really enjoying playing for this team. I think we are looking to extend it over Christmas and then see how it goes after that.

I feel happy at the club so it is good to stay here. We have got some home games and hopefully we can get some points and go up in the table.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/trotta-wants-to-extend-wycombe-loan/?

WhiteJC

Fulham dominate Bolton at Craven Cottage
Fulham 2 Bolton 0

Fulham showed no signs of a European hangover today as they
dominated bottom side Bolton to secure a deserved victory at Craven
Cottage.

The Cottagers came into their 31st competitive match of season with added impetus after their untimely exit from the Europa League in midweek.

Martin Jol's side squandered a two-goal lead to eventually draw with Odense on Wednesday night, although there was to be no such comeback this afternoon.

Fulham attacked with intent from the offset against the under-pressure Trotters and broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when Clint Dempsey nodded home Ruiz's cross.

Roles then reversed 66 seconds later when the United States international played through the summer signing, who showed exquisite composure and vision to lift the ball over the onrushing Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Bolton impressed in flashes after the break but were unable to avoid a 13th league defeat of the season as Fulham held out for a seventh clean sheet of the campaign.

Heading into the match, Fulham were hit by the news that Bobby Zamora had failed a late fitness test.

The 30-year-old missed out due to a medial ligament problem in his left knee and was replaced in attack by Andrew Johnson, who was one of seven changes made by Jol after the 2-2 draw with Odense.

Counterpart Owen Coyle, meanwhile, drafted in Marcos Alonso, Fabrice Muamba and Nigel Reo-Coker after Bolton's 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa last weekend.

An edgy start by both sides was encapsulated by an uncharacteristic mistake by Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu, who was caught in possession and allowed Reo-Coker to flash a shot across goal.

The effort seemed to spur the west Londoners into life, with Johnson coming close after a neat one-two with Dempsey almost immediately.

Returning skipper Danny Murphy - who fans feared may have aggravated his ankle injury inside five minutes - showed no ill effects shortly after Johnson's effort, seeing a superbly-executed volley deflected just wide.

Johnson had a close-range shot blocked by former Fulham defender Zat Knight as the home side upped the ante, with Etuhu and Brede Hangeland then getting headers away from corners.

Darren Pratley came close with a 20-yard effort during a rare Wanderers attack, before Jaaskelainen turned wide John Arne Riise's drive from 20 yards at the other end.

Bolton were playing like a team devoid of confidence and, after Hangeland twice miscued headers, Dempsey broke the deadlock.

The United States international beat Dedryck Boyata to Ruiz's superb right-wing cross to send home a darted header in the 32nd minute.

Just 66 seconds later, Fulham doubled their advantage thanks to a moment of magic from Ruiz.

The Costa Rica international was put through on goal by Dempsey after outpacing Alonso and, having steadied himself, delightfully scooped the ball over the onrushing Jaaskelainen.

Bolton looked to reduce the deficit as half-time approached, although Ivan Klasnic and Mark Davies were both denied by Fulham's sturdy defence.

Bolton manager Coyle brought on Gretar Steinsson and Chris Eagles, having witnessed a poor first half.

Boyata and Pratley made way but the changes could not stem the Fulham tide as they continued to press for a third.

Bolton captain Kevin Davies made way for David Ngog as a result in the 56th minute, leading to a slightly improved spell from Wanderers.

Klasnic and Muamba were finding good attacking positions, while the visitors were enjoying more possession.

However, Fulham looked dangerous on the break and, after Johnson was adjudged offside when in on goal, Dempsey came agonisingly close to directing home the striker's cross at the back post.

Bolton looked desperate for a goal and, although Eagles and Muamba got efforts away, their exertions left gaping holes at the back.

Johnson and Mousa Dembele almost capitalised as Fulham hunted for a third, which proved elusive as the home side ran out 2-0 victors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-dominate-bolton-at-craven-cottage-6278624.html?

WhiteJC

'Hopefully it's a blessing to go out of Europe' - Fulham manager Martin Jol
The Dutchman is keen to see his side's domestic form improve after crashing out of the Europa League, with strikes from Dempsey & Ruiz ensuring victory over Bolton

Fulham manager Martin Jol is hopeful their elimination from the Europa League will help his side to focus on moving up the Premier League after their 2-0 victory over Bolton.

The Cottagers were the dominant side for long periods of the game, and scored two goals in quick succession to seal all three points, with a stunning goal from Bryan Ruiz doubling their lead after Clint Dempsey's opener.

"Hopefully it's a blessing [to be eliminated from the Europa League]," Jol told reporters. "It's nice to be in Europe, but you have to travel to many places and you have to win it.

"If you don't win you can punish yourself, going to Europe on Thursdays and especially when you're away. I told the players, and I think they will agree: It's harsh to go out but on the other hand we can now focus on the Premier League."

Jol was happy with how his side played in the first half, particularly as his forward line linked up to a create a number of chances, but the Dutchman conceded he would have liked a third goal to help ease his side to three points.

"We had many good performances, but for us the most important thing is the points. After the disappointment of Wednesday, it's always difficult to play against a team like Bolton and get the points.
"In the first half we always have different problems in games, but I thought we did well, especially the link up play between Moussa Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz, who then slid balls into Andy Johnson. That was a nice balance, I was very happy with that.

"Second half was different because we'd have liked to score a third goal and we didn't do that. We gave them the momentum. We were a bit sloppy in midfield, gave it away and then they did anything and everything to score a goal, but we didn't get punished.

"I feel we are always on the fringe of doing something. [Over the past five months] we couldn't score at the right moments. I had that same feeling today when Andy Johnson had two opportunities, but luckily enough we scored right after that and after the second goal you know it's probably easy."

Jol was also full of praise for goalscorer Ruiz, stating that now the Costa Rican is injury free, he is turning out performances that justify his £10.6 million transfer in the summer.

"I expect him to do what he did today because that's what he used to do on a weekly basis. Of course here it's a different ball game but I felt that he did well over the past three or four games when he started. Especially at Arsenal.
"Last week when I moved him into midfield he was probably one of the best players on the pitch.

"Today he was not perfect, obviously, but he set up a goal and he can score goals like the one he did against Everton, that's the sort of goal that he scores and you won't see many players who can score goals like that.

"The main thing was his fitness. He had a big injury in Holland then when he came here he was not 100% fit. Then he had an injury again so he was out for three or four weeks. Now, if you look at his stats and confidence, I think he's getting there."

Jol also revealed that Bobby Zamora failed a late fitness test at the ground, but was close to being considered for the game.

"Bobby had a late test today and he was not fit to start. He said he could have played maybe 10 minutes but that's not enough.

"It was his left knee, he's had it for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday we had to drop him out of training, we thought maybe if we don't take a risk he will be fit for tomorrow, but after the test this morning he was not fit to start."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/17/2807141/hopefully-its-a-blessing-to-go-out-of-europe-fulham-manager?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hails Ruiz after Bolton win

MARTIN Jol praised Bryan Ruiz after Fulham moved clear of the drop zone with victory over Bolton.

The Costa Rican scored one and set up another as the Whites climbed up to 11th in the table with a comfortable 2-0 win against the Premier League basement boys.

But boss Jol insists he's not surprised by Ruiz's exploits.

He said: "I expect him to do what he did today because that's what he did on a weekly basis [with FC Twente]. Of course it is a different ball game here.

"Today he was not perfect but he can set up goals like he did with the first one and score ones like he did against Everton .

"The most important thing was the points after the disappointment on Wednesday.

"I thought we did well in the first half, linked up well with Moussa Dembele, Clint [Dempsey], Bryan Ruiz, sliding balls into Andy Johnson. It was a nice balance.

"You would like to score the third goal but we didn't do that and gave them the momentum. It was a bit sloppy in midfield. That was the only thing I thought could be corrected."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/17/fulham-boss-hails-ruiz-after-bolton-win-82029-29971431/?#ixzz1gsUKnUiE

WhiteJC

Dempsey eyes top half finish

Clint Dempsey feels Fulham can finish in the top half this season and the American midfielder is also targeting an FA Cup run to compensate for their early exit from the Europa League.

Dempsey, who set Fulham on their way to a vital victory with the first goal against Bolton at Craven Cottage this afternoon, admitted he was hugely disappointed after the 2-2 draw with Odense that saw Wisla Krakow reach the last 32 of the Europa League instead of the Whites but retains belief in the quality at the club.

It is what it is. We're out of the Europa League which we're frustrated about but we want to do as well as we can do in the league and finish in the top half.

And we've got the FA Cup and hopefully we can go on a nice run in that so those are the things we've got left to play for and we're going to do our best to have a good season.

Dempsey also dismissed speculation linking him with a move away from Fulham, stressing that some of his fondest footballing memories have come with the Cottagers.

I'm happy here. I've had some of my best times here. I still have this season and another left [on my current contract] and I am looking forward to making the most of my time where I am at. Like I've said before some of my best memories in football have been at Fulham.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/12/dempsey-eyes-top-half-finish/?

WhiteJC

The Big Question

As part of a regular feature in this season's matchday programme, we're inviting fans on Fulham's social media channels to have their say on topical football subjects.

Ahead of every home Premier League game we're posting a question of Facebook and Twitter and inviting you to respond with your thoughts. Our pick of the responses will be selected and printed in the following matchday programme. This week our topic is:

Manchester United come to SW6 on Wednesday, and happily we're able to reflect on two big victories and one entertaining draw from their last three visits. With that in mind, we're asking:

Which result against a supposed 'bigger club' sticks in your mind most from the years you've supported the club?

Share your views now on Fulham's official Facebook or Twitter feed.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/TheBigQuestion.aspx?#ixzz1gsV28zua

WhiteJC

Coyle condemns Boyata for Dempsey goal

Bolton boss Owen Coyle was unhappy with on-loan Manchester City defender Dedryck Boyata for his poor positional play which allowed Clint Dempsey to score Fulham's opener in their 2-0 win.

Coyle was also defensive about his side sitting bottom of the Premier League insisting they must turn their fortunes around quickly.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/matchday-live/blog/2011-12-17/coyle-condemns-boyata-dempsey-goal?

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Ha ha. What crisis?

Playing the league's bottom team at a time like this was always likely to be one of those tricky games. On the one hand, you would rather be playing a bad team than a good one; on the other, lose this one... doesn't bear thinking about.

Anyway, it didn't happen, owing to two marvellous goals involving Bryan Ruiz's wand of a left foot. Wand? Wand. The man can do some seriously interesting things with it.

The first came after Dembele set him off down the right. Ruiz checked onto his left and pinged a cross onto Clint Dempsey's head. Dempsey's header was excellent. A very pleasing goal indeed.

Moments later we got another. Ruiz was set free by Dempsey and, faced with Jaskalaainen 1 on 1, scooped the ball over the advancing goalkeeper. From where we were sitting the ball seemed certain to drop halfway up the Putney End terrace, but no, down it came. A quite extraordinary finish. What a player, we gasped, shaking our heads in disbelief.

2-0, as we know, is not a safe scoreline, but while Bolton are better than Odense, Fulham weren't going to mess this one up. The second half was a little flat, and we'd have all preferred a third goal to allow full relaxation, but the result was a good one and just what the doctor ordered.

Most pleasing were the contributions of Danny Murphy – visibly encouraging his teammates (he's been a little grumpy lately but perhaps sensed that leadership was required) – and of the front four. Andy Johnson missed a couple of good chances, but led the line well and worked well with the tricky three behind him.

And it's that three that we must be most pleased about. Today it felt like their team. Sure, Ruiz is a little behind the other two in terms of settling in, but he's part of what we need to be and has already given us plenty of magic. Dembele... it feels like it's becoming the man, the player opposing teams will make plans to stop. Dempsey is hard to stop, too, that rare combination of delicate buildup and aggressive finishing. As a three they have more or less everything, and it's not hard to envisage a Fulham team built around them and doing someone some serious damage.

That's a best case scenario, and after recent times we must guard against getting too excited lest we be accused of being 'knee jerk' or something like that. Nevertheless, excellent play builds hope and we had plenty of the former and so some of the latter.

PS Nice to see David Stockdale back. A solid game: long may he stay between those posts.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/fulham-2-0-bolton-wanderers/?

WhiteJC

Americans abroad: Dempsey, Bocanegra score goals

Dempsey returned the favor just one minute later, putting a pass behind the Bolton defense that Ruiz gathered before chipping Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jääskeläinen.

The win lifted Fulham (4-6-6) into 11th place in the English Premier League. It also left Bolton (3-13-0) at the foot of the standings, five points from safety. The club appears to be a likely relegation candidate, which could mean that when U.S. midfielder finally Stuart Holden returns from his long-term knee injury, he could be playing in the Championship (second division) rather than the Premiership.

Fulham will be back in action Wednesday when it plays host to Manchester United.

Elsewhere in Europe, U.S. national team captain Carlos Bocanegra scored as Rangers FC snuck past Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 2-1, in a Scottish Premier League game on Saturday.

Bocanegra's goal, his third since joining the Glasgow club in August, came in the 54th minute when he turned on a header from Nikica Jelavić and struck a well-placed shot from 6 yards out.

Inverness—the better team for significant stretches of the match—equalized 12 minutes later and came close to a go-ahead goal several times thereafter. But Rangers sent the Ibrox crowd home happy when substitute Kyle Lafferty scored in the 83rd.

Lafferty had replaced injured U.S. midfielder Alejandro Bedoya in the 52nd. American midfielder Maurice Edu played the first 45 minutes.

Rangers is 15-1-3 and in first place in the SPL by seven points over Celtic, which will make up its game-in-hand Sunday.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-12-17/americans-abroad-dempsey-bocanegra-score-goals?#ixzz1gsWvT1d3

WhiteJC

Fulham put a smile back on Jol's face but Bolton look downcast
Fulham 2 Bolton Wanderers 0

Martin Jol's face resembled thunder on Wednesday night. A pain the Europa League might have been, but for his Fulham side to go out of the competition in such excruciating circumstances, to the latest of injury-time equalisers, was tough to take. A bulldog chewing a wasp, to borrow an old graphic expression, would have looked less anguished.

Three days later, Jol was jolly again. Fulham brushed aside a woeful Bolton Wanderers at Craven Cottage and eased up into the safer regions of the Premier League. Just perhaps it was good to be rid of Europe, after all.

"After the disappointment on Wednesday, the most important thing was to get the points," Jol said. "We needed to get a third goal but were a bit sloppy in the second half and lost our momentum." Was Europe a distraction? "We never said that but... maybe it is a blessing that we are no longer in it. With all those games, a lot of Thursday nights, it was hard going. But now we can focus on the League."

Fulham showed no symptoms of a post-Europa hangover in a stirring first-half display. Shots rained in on Jussi Jaaskelainen, Bolton's goalkeeper, from all angles, with Andy Johnson driving wide when clean through, Clint Dempsey miscuing a volley and then a Danny Murphy effort flying off-target via a deflection. Johnson declined to use his left foot, when he should have done, and was blocked out; Brede Hangeland nodded over from a Murphy corner when it seemed easier to score.

It mattered not, though. Fulham were soon back on track, when Bryan Ruiz crossed from the right and Dempsey nosed ahead of Dedryck Boyata to nod past Jaaskelainen. Two minutes later, it was 2-0, when Ruiz latched on to a rather hopeful punt forward from Hangeland. The Costa Rica winger outpaced Marcos Alonso and then delightfully chipped the ball over the onrushing Jaaskelainen.

Fulham were in cruise control and David Stockdale in goal had little to do. And, therefore, little chance to impress the watching Fabio Capello, the England manager, and Ray Clemence, his goalkeeping coach. But he did move smartly to keep out a low drive from Mark Davies – just about enough to keep Capello and Clemence interested.

Bolton were clueless and small wonder that Owen Coyle, their manager, made two changes at half-time – Chris Eagles for Darren Pratley and Gretar Steinsson for Boyata. "The team was a bit fragile," Coyle said. "To give away that second goal, almost straight from the restart, was poor. We shot ourselves in the foot."

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Stockdale; Baird, Senderos, Hangeland, J A Riise; Murphy, Etuhu; Ruiz, Dembele, Dempsey; Johnson.

Bolton (4-4-2): Jaaskelainen; Boyata (Steinsson, h-t), Cahill, Knight, Alonso; Reo-Coker, Pratley (Eagles, h-t), Muamba, M Davies; K Davies (Ngog, 56), Klasnic.

Referee Chris Foy.

Man of the match Johnson (Fulham).

Match rating 6/10.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-put-a-smile-back-on-jols-face-but-bolton-look-downcast-6278786.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham eyeing Sunderland midfielder Gardner

Fulham are eyeing Sunderland midfielder Craig Gardner.

The Mirror says Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol is worried over the lack of cover for central midfield players Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell.

And Gardner, whose move to the Stadium of Light from Birmingham last summer has not worked out, is one of their targets.

Sunderland paid £6million for the 25-year-old, but he had started only five Premier League games before yesterday and his place in the plans of O'Neill is uncertain because he was the manager who sold him from his first club Aston Villa.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-eyeing-sunderland-midfielder-gardner-2562071?utm_source=main_feed#

WhiteJC

Fulham   2 - 0   Bolton

By Alistair Magowan
BBC Sport

Dempsey scores his eighth goal of the season to give Fulham the lead
Fulham heaped more misery on bottom-of-the-table Bolton as goals by Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz handed the visitors their fifth loss on the trot.

Dempsey steered a fine header past Jussi Jaaskelainen just after the half-hour from Ruiz's cross.

The American then turned provider two minutes later when he took advantage of a mix-up to set Ruiz free to chip in.

Bolton's best chances fell to Fabrice Muamba and Mark Davies but they could not beat David Stockdale.

Owen Coyle's side had opportunities to hit back after they went behind, but they looked devoid of confidence and lacking in leadership as they fell to their seventh defeat in eight games.

And Bolton will go into their crucial game against fellow strugglers Blackburn on Tuesday five points adrift of safety.

For Fulham the result was a welcome fillip after they crashed out of Europe in midweek to end a Europa League run which started in June.

They were barely tested by Coyle's men but with games to come against Manchester United and Chelsea, manager Martin Jol will appreciate the three points before a busy Christmas period.

Once Nigel Reo-Coker fired wide early on, the first half was regularly punctuated by efforts on the Bolton goal with Andy Johnson off target and Brede Hangeland heading wide from a corner.

John Arne Riise drew a decent save from Jaaskelainen as the hosts brushed off the loss of Bobby Zamora, who failed a fitness test on a knee problem before the game, and began to build momentum.

BOLTON'S POOR DEFENCE
Bolton have now conceded 11 goals from crosses, still the worst record in the Premier League this season

Coming into the match Bolton had the worst record in the Premier League for conceding from crosses so it was no surprise that they did so again on 32 minutes, although Dempsey's header was a cracker.

Moussa Dembele was given room to drive at the Bolton defence and when he found Ruiz down the right side, the Costa Rican crossed for the American to score his eighth of the season from 12 yards.

Dempsey then returned to the favour just over a minute later when he set Ruiz free down the centre of the pitch and the Central American cheekily looped the ball over the Bolton keeper.

The goals dealt a blow to the visitors, who remain as the league's worst defensive side, and their reason for their position was highlighted in the second goal when both Gary Cahill and Zat Knight were drawn to the ball in the centre of the pitch.

Bolton did recover somewhat before the break and Mark Davies forced a save from recalled Fulham keeper Stockdale, but visiting manager Coyle was left ruing another poor first half-performance and sent on Chris Eagles and Gretar Steinsson for the second period, with David Ngog replacing Kevin Davies 10 minutes after half-time.

Ngog and Eagles both went close for the visitors, but for all Coyle's positivity in the build-up to the game, Bolton were often outnumbered in midfield, where Reo-Coker and Muamba sometimes struggled.

That the hosts did not add to their lead was down to some smart defending by Cahill, but while he helped stem the flow, there were few signs that Wanderers could claw their way back into the match.

Perhaps what will worry Coyle most as he heads to Ewood Park for the vital game against Blackburn is that his team look like they have lost their appetite for the fight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16123956.stm

WhiteJC

Bristol City are poised to offer Albert Adomah an improved contract as they fend off interest from Fulham

BRISTOL CITY are poised to offer Albert Adomah an improved contract as they look to fend off interest from Fulham.

The Ghana winger, 23, signed a new three-year contract in the summer and was crowned the Robins' player of the year.

Fulham boss Martin Jol has received glowing reports about Adomah but City are desperate to keep him

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/12/18/bristol-city-are-poised-to-offer-albert-adomah-an-improved-contract-as-they-fend-off-interest-from-fulham-102039-23642634/

WhiteJC

Danny Simpson turns down a new contract at Newcastle but won't be leaving

DANNY SIMPSON has turned down Newcastle's latest attempt to secure his St James' Park future.

The former Manchester United defender has refused a new contract offer but will not be leaving the Toon in next month's transfer window.

And that news will disappoint Fulham and West Ham, plus his old Magpies sparring partner Joey Barton, who has been singing the 24-year-old's praises to his QPR boss Neil Warnock.

A Newcastle source said that Simpson was happy with life on Tyneside.

He revealed: "Simpson is disappointed with his new offer but he has told the club that he will not be leaving in the January transfer window.

"He is happy at the club and his family are very settled on Tyneside.

"His current deal does not run out until the summer of 2013 and he will have another look at the situation at the end of this season."

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/12/18/danny-simpson-turns-down-a-new-contract-at-newcastle-but-won-t-be-leaving-102039-23642636/