more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (28/09/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 28, 2012, 08:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Best Foot Forward

Fans and fundraisers are invited to join Fulham Football Club's Mascot, Billy the Badger, for a sponsored walk in aid of local children and teenagers with life-limiting conditions.

The event, which starts at Fulham FC's Training Ground in Motspur Park and ends at the iconic Craven Cottage on the banks of the Thames, takes place on Saturday 13th October.

The scenic stroll is a total distance of seven miles, achievable by all, and begins at 3pm. Participants, accompanied on the walk by Fulham FC's very own Billy the Badger, are expected to complete the route by approximately 7.30pm.  On arrival at Craven Cottage, all those taking part will be welcomed by Fulham FC and have the opportunity for refreshments at the stadium.

Participants are asked to contribute a joining fee of £10 for adults and £5 for children and raise a minimum of £50 sponsorship per entrant with all proceeds being split equally between Shooting Star CHASE and Fulham Football Club Foundation.

Shooting Star CHASE, the local children's hospice service, supports families with a child or teenager not expected to reach their 19th birthday.  The charity currently helps over 600 families within 38 boroughs in West London, Surrey and West Sussex. By providing expert care at two children's hospices, Christopher's in Guildford and Shooting Star House in Hampton, Middlesex; families can receive the essential support they need.

Fulham Football Club Foundation is a leading community sport charity that aims to build better lives through sport.  The Foundation uses the power of sport to deliver a variety of inspiring education, health, disability, social inclusion and football programmes in the community.

This brand new event is the first of a new partnership between Fulham Football Club and Shooting Star CHASE, which was announced at the club's recent fixture against West Bromwich Albion a fortnight ago.

The partnership aims to raise vital funds to support Shooting Star CHASE's hospice at home service, which provides expert care to families with a life limited child or teenager in their own homes, as well as funds to support all areas of Fulham FC Foundation's work.

Alex Robinson, Head of Corporate and Trusts at Shooting Star CHASE said:

"We are really excited to be launching this brand new event in conjunction with Billy the Badger and all at Fulham Football Club.  The twilight stroll is the first of its kind for Shooting Star CHASE and we hope to see as many people as possible joining us on the day, to help raise vital funds for children, teenagers and their families who rely on the support of Shooting Star CHASE."

Steven Day, CEO of Fulham Football Club Foundation added:

"This is a fantastic event with which to launch our partnership with Shooting Star CHASE.  It will be great fun for all the family and fans will have an opportunity to visit both of the club's sites at the start and end of the walk."

Places are limited so to join in, please so sign up today at http://ffctwilightstroll.eventbrite.com.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/27/best-foot-forward?

WhiteJC

Nigel Reo-Coker - Football's most talked about free agent

Nigel Reo-Coker is still without a club, but has been linked with Fulham, Charlton Athletic, and even Fiorentina, it's a far cry from being tipped to join Arsenal by Ian Wright shortly over a year ago.

Ian Wright is one of football's most enthusiastic pundits, but he does get it wrong at times. One of his knee jerk reactions after Aston Villa beat Arsenal at the end of the 2010/11 season was to demand via his newspaper column in The Sun that Arsene Wenger snaps up Nigel Reo-Coker.

Wenger ignored his advice, and the midfielder signed a one year deal with Bolton, but left the club this year after their relegation, obviously hoping for a better opportunity than playing in the Championship. So far it is yet to arrive.

As October approaches, Nigel Reo-Coker is still without a club, at the age of 28 it is not a good situation for him to be in, for he should be at the peak of his career, not scratching around searching for an employer. Aston Villa paid £8.5 million for him in 2007 and he was even linked with Manchester United a year earlier, so it is fair to say he has been on a downwards spiral as of late.

Nevertheless he remains one of the more attractive free agents on the market to clubs, a former England under-21 international, and veteran of the Premier League and the Championship, where he played with West Ham.

Through this month he has been arguably the most talked about free agent, linked with a number of moves. Most recently he has been linked with Fulham, as a replacement for Mahamadou Diarra who has suffered a season ending injury.

Reo-Coker was first discussed as a Fulham target in early August, but nothing materialised. Now it seems they are likely to step up their pursuit, according to one report. Yet only last week it was reported he was 'on the verge' of signing for Charlton.

The source being the same - The Daily Mail- so Fulham fans should certainly take the link with a pinch of salt. The midfielder is keen on a move to the Premier League, which could be why he may have turned down the Addicks if approached, but if a move to Craven Cottage does not materialise he will have to consider the possibility.

Last month he was even suggested as a possible target for Fiorentina in Serie A, potentially a dream move for the player, but one which did not come off. An Aston Villa supporter even wrote into the Birmingham Mail this week urging the club bring him back to Villa Park.

So Reo-Coker should take solace that while he is out of sight for now, he is certainly not out of mind. While he remains the subject of discussion, there is hope that he may just secure a move to the Premier League after all, but if it doesn't happen by the end of the month, he would be advised to take whatever he can get in the Championship, because months without playing will only make him more unattractive to the top sides in the long run.

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/09/26/nigel-reo-coker-footballs-most-talked-about-free-agent/?

WhiteJC

Family Values

One man who will be watching Saturday's match at Craven Cottage with interest from Copenhagen will be former Fulham and Manchester City defender, Niclas Jensen.

After hanging up his boots in 2010, following a highly successful club and international career, Jensen made a seamless transition into his new role as a FIFA approved football agent.

On Saturday Jensen will be rooting for the Whites, and despite the fact his playing career at Craven Cottage didn't reach the heights he had hoped for, there's no doubting his respect and appreciation for the Club. 

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Fulham," Jensen told fulhamfc.com. "The atmosphere from day one at the Club was fantastic. I'm the type of person who places great importance on being happy in my place of work, and although I didn't play as often as I would have liked, I was really happy at Fulham.

"There were things at Fulham that I truly appreciated at the latter stages of my career that perhaps I didn't really recognise as important when I was a young professional. The fabric of the Club, how friendly and helpful everyone is, from the backroom staff to the administrative staff, it really was a wonderful place to work.

"For me, my happiness at a club was much more than just the size of the club or where I could earn the most money. Finding happiness at a football club comes from more important things. The happiness of my family was also crucial as well because if they're happy then you will naturally perform better for your team.

"When I was at Fulham I really appreciated going in to work every day and being able to play the game I love in such a fantastic environment. Football is not just about the glory and other aspects, such as the money, it's about being able to do what you love everyday surrounded by great people.

"Of course I'm still very good friends with Claus [Jensen], who was at Fulham with me, but unfortunately we don't get to see each other as often as we would like because we're both so busy. But when we do catch up we share a drink and talk about the good times at Fulham Football Club."

Jensen left Fulham in January 2007 to return home to FC Copenhagen, but the former Danish international has kept a close check on the Club's fortunes over the past five years and believes recent signings highlight the Whites' desire for even greater success in the future.

"Obviously after I left there were changes at the Club in terms of management from Chris Coleman to Lawrie Sanchez in what was a difficult period for the Club when relegation was a possibility," Jensen explained.

"Thankfully Fulham survived that and the Club has gone from strength to strength ever since. It's great to see them competing so strongly in the Barclays Premier League every year and finishing in the top half of the table regularly over recent seasons.

"It's been great to watch the success Fulham has achieved in recent years. It was different during my spell, but the Club is now an established top-10 team and what they achieved in Europe in 2010 was fantastic.

"The Club is now attracting some top players. Being able to attract a player of Dimitar Berbatov's calibre tells you exactly what direction the Club is heading in. It really sends out a signal when you sign a player like him and I've been very impressed with Fulham so far this season.

"They've started really well which is crucial in the Premier League and despite a number of players coming and going in the summer; the Team seems to have gelled very quickly."

One current Fulham player Jensen knows well from his second spell at Copenhagen is Norway international, Brede Hangeland, a friend he clearly holds in high regard, both on and off the pitch.

"Brede represents the values as a person and professional that I really believe in," Jensen explained. "His family, and their happiness, is the most important thing to him.

"He's a key figure in the Fulham dressing room and such a fantastic player. He has such a good spirit about him and he deserves every success that comes his way."

Jensen is hoping Saturday's match at Craven Cottage between his two former teams will be broadcast live in Denmark, and whilst he believes Fulham are in for one of the toughest challenges of the season, he is hoping Martin Jol's Team can record their third successive Premier League victory.

"I'm not sure if they'll be showing the match over here but I will definitely be watching if it's broadcast," said Jensen. "It's going to be fascinating because I think it will be a very close game between two evenly-matched teams this weekend.

"Facing a team like Manchester City is always going to be very difficult nowadays. It's a very different club from when I was there, but it's great that such passionate and committed supporters are enjoying the success the team is now achieving.

"They have key players all over the pitch that you have to be constantly aware of. I would love Fulham to win on Saturday but it will be a very tough match against a team full of world-class players.

"Also, they [City] are a little bit behind already in terms of the point tally they would like to be on. That, coupled with the fact that they lost in the League Cup on Tuesday night to Aston Villa, will make this a very difficult game for Fulham.

"City will be hungry to bounce back so there will be crucial battles all over the pitch on Saturday and with the strikers they have, Fulham's defence is going to have to be very wary - but I'm sure my friend Brede will be up for it!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/27/niclas-jensen-interview?

WhiteJC

Fulham can continue City's woes by getting a result at the Cottage
Roberto Mancini will be concerned at his side's form and he may have a bit more to worry about when the champions visit south-west London on Saturday.

At what point does a slow start become something far more concerning? That is the question that Roberto Mancini and his staff are probably asking themselves after the latest setback in Manchester City's stuttering start to the season and there will be more than Tuesday's Capital One Cup exit at the hands of Aston Villa on the Italian's mind.

A 4-2 extra-time defeat to the Villans at the Etihad Stadium was not to be expected given Villa's poor form and if Mancini's touchline spat with with his opposite number Paul Lambert hints at a man who is not happy with how things are going, his frustrations are understandable.

For several months now, Mancini has cut an agitated figure: first as a summer transfer impasse saw Robin van Persie move to the red half of Manchester as the powers that be ordered he shift the dead wood from the squad before purchases were made, and then as the season began and a series of below-par performances have lifted the air of invincibility about his team.

Because that is precisely what has happened. Teams sense that the champions are vulnerable and they have every reason to believe so. Since their (slightly fortunate) 3-2 opening day win over newly-promoted Southampton, City have won just one of six fixtures in all competitions – a home match against the poorest of travellers in Queens Park Rangers.

Fulham have lost just one home league game in 2012 (to Swansea in March), which is a run of nine wins and three draws from 13 matches, a sequence that includes victories over Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle, as well as a draw against Chelsea.

Alongside the defeat to Villa, Mancini's side have not only failed to beat Liverpool, Stoke and Arsenal but were lucky to even come away with a point in at least two of those fixtures, while the manner in which they lost to Real Madrid in the Champions League (surrendering a 2-1 lead with five minutes left) cannot disguise the fact that Jose Mourinho's team were superior for most of the 90 minutes.

Yet to keep a clean sheet all season, City have looked a pale imitation of the side that steam-rolled most of what was put in front of it last season and the way they are playing, now is not the time to travel to a Fulham team that have been a thorn in the side of City for several seasons.

For all their travails, the Citizens are still the odds-on favourites at 4/5 with bwin to claim the three points, with the draw at 5/2 and Martin Jol's side a 17/5 chance, but on all the evidence so far you have to be siding with the Cottagers here.

Jol hasn't quite got to grips with Fulham's away-day blues just yet (I'll need more convincing proof than a mere win at Wigan), but what he has done is continue the club's fine form at Craven Cottage and that means City have it all to do on Saturday.

Fulham have lost just one home league game in 2012 (to Swansea in March), which is a run of nine wins and three draws from 13 matches, a sequence that includes victories over Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle, as well as a draw against Chelsea.

Two wins from two this season against Norwich and West Brom have been as comprehensive as possible – eight goals scored, none conceded – and Fulham will fancy their chances against City given their recent record.

In the last five seasons, City have won just three of the ten league meetings between the sides and the even money on Fulham getting another result is a price that I like.

Mancini's team are not playing well enough to back at odds-on away from home and with the spine of the team – Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero – underperforming to varying degrees, Fulham have to be the bet to extend their great home record by avoiding defeat again.

Recommended bet: Fulham to avoid defeat @ Evens

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/fulham-continue-citys-woes-result-cottage,25387.html?

WhiteJC

Premier League preview: Fulham v Manchester City

Fulham manager Martin Jol will be confident of his options up front as his team prepares to host reigning champions Manchester City.

Jol has signed three strikers during the European summer transfer window and all three, Mladen Petric, Hugo Rodallega and Dimitar Berbatov, have scored for Fulham this season.

Rodallega struck the opening goal for Fulham in their 2-1 win away to Wigan last week after being set up by Berbatov.

A flowing move down the right culminated in the ball arriving at Berbatov's feet and the Bulgarian crossed to the six-yard box, where Rodallega leapt highest to thump a header into the net.

Fulham are joint top-scorers in the English Premier League with 12 goals from five games, matched only by second-placed Manchester United.

The London-based club have won both their home games this season without conceding a goal and considering Manchester City's defence has looked quite shaky in the league so far, Jol will have belief Fulham can snatch a win on Sunday.

The reigning champions showed their defensive frailties in the League Cup on Tuesday as they were knocked out 4-2 by Aston Villa and although captain Vincent Kompany should return against Fulham to strengthen the back four, City remain suspect in defence.

Manchester City have not kept a clean sheet in any competition this season and have conceded two goals per game on average.

Sunday's clash pits sixth-placed Fulham against seventh-placed Manchester City and a victory could see Jol's side move into second if Manchester United lose to Tottenham and other results go the London club's way this weekend.

While attack looks good for Fulham, midfield is a problem area for Jol as Mahamadou Diarra, Simon Davies and Kieran Richardson are all out injured, prompting the Dutch manager to reportedly look at former Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker as a possible free signing.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini could have Samir Nasri back in action for the trip to London after the French midfielder missed his club's past two games with a hamstring injury.

But Mancini's side will face a tough task at Fulham as the home side have scored eight goals in two games on their own turf in the EPL.

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/September/27/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-manchester-city/?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes moves for club-less stars

Fulham boss Martin Jol is ready to pick up more free agents to bolster his depleted squad if he can find players with proven ability.
Jol is desperate to add new faces to increase competition for places with midfield a particular area for concern after the departures in recent months of Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and Moussa Dembele.

The Dutchman's options in the middle of the park have been further hampered by Mahamadou Diarra's knee injury which is set to keep him out of action for up to six months.

The Cottagers manager has already swooped to sign veteran Greek international Giorgos Karagounis since the close of the transfer window and further moves could be afoot with the likes of Nigel Reo-Coker, Thomas Hitzelsperger and Owen Hargreaves all still seeking new clubs.

Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird have filled the central midfield spots in the wins against West Brom and Wigan, but Jol would dearly like additional personnel to challenge them for their shirt.

He said: "As you know when there was an opportunity with Karagounis we did that, there was an opportunity last year with Diarra and we did that. If there's an opportunity to get a good player in we will do that."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/Fulham/Jol-eyes-moves-for-club-less-stars-1475813.html?#.UGVOZkK_wds

WhiteJC

Is Jol just getting desperate?

With Fulham's manager admitting that he is happy to delve back into the free agent market, after 2 signings in the past year, is it a sign that Fulham are getting desperate?

If you were on the outside looking in, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Fulham are in their own, self-imposed crisis. Steve Sidwell, over the past two fixtures, has been our only natural central midfielder in the starting eleven and with Mahamadou Diarra's knee injury still to be fully diagnosed, things could get far, far worse for Martin Jol and his selection headache.

And with that, comes the disguised desperation; Jol's unashamed hunt for some quick, free fix to add to the numbers and broaden the depth. The names of Nigel Reo-Coker, Thomas Hitzelsperger and, perhaps most worryingly, Owen Hargreaves, have all been linked with Fulham over previous days and Jol himself has suggested that he is certainly not afraid to dab into the unattached market and pull out a rare bargain.

After all, it has worked in the past. Diarra, the now unfortunate centre of this whole fiasco, was a free transfer just after the closure of the January window last year and has proven himself to be the solid, smart player of old. His Real Madrid days are far behind but he is still showing glimpses of that palpable ability.

Clearly, the fortune of Diarra's arrival and subsequent upturn in form has given our Dutch manager a certain confidence in the free transfer market - a confidence that defies the widely-held belief that, simply, if these players were any good, they'd already have a club.

Often, though, it's not quite as brazenly straightforward as that. Fallouts with managers, sordid injury records, being too old - they all lead to that place of footballing wilderness that no-one wants to be in and everyone wants to be out of. Michael Owen, Demba Ba, Sol Campbell and Brad Friedel have all been there.

So is there any harm in pursuing these potential saviours? Inevitably, you have to question the longevity of these deals. Will Giorgos Karagounis - someone else that we have already signed up this season - really be around at Craven Cottage for any extensive period of time? It seems severely unlikely.

And, also, with the lack of initial signing on fee comes the burden of inflated wages. Agents know that, without a price attached to their client's head already, they can push any given club for that little extra in salary.

But, even so, if one of these players can do the job sufficiently then there is no major downside. Of course, of the three mentioned, Hargreaves comes with a greater injury risk but, if one of the other two can, at the very least, hold fort until January, when spending can yet again begin to flourish, then the investment becomes increasingly worthwhile.

As it is, the squad is too bare to cope. Sidwell, Baird and Karagounis can all fill in but, beyond that, where is there any strength? Pajtim Kasami considers himself more naturally gifted when behind a striker and, even so, Jol has openly admitted that the best option for the youngster, for now, is to find first team football elsewhere on loan.

In a vain attempt to cover up our deadline day failings, our manager even tried to persuade fans that Kieran Richardson was, in fact, signed to add quality into the centre of the park. Who is he kidding? He's a winger and there's not much more to it.

So yes, maybe we are desperate. Yes, maybe we are clutching at some weary straws. But we've proven in the past that diamonds can be cut from this undervalued market and we may well prove so in the future.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/9/27/3416838/jol-desperate-reo-coker-hargreaves?

WhiteJC

Off The Mark

Having scored his first goal for the Club last Saturday, Hugo Rodallega is determined to play his part in front of goal this season.

The 27-year-old opened his account against his former club as Fulham secured an impressive 2-1 defeat of Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium, with the striker a constant threat throughout.

"I was at Wigan for a long time, so of course, they are a club close to my heart," admitted Hugo. "It was strange going back there, and even stranger scoring against them. But I'm a Fulham player now, and it meant a lot to get my first goal. You never forget your first goal for a club.

"It was an important win for us, we're showing a lot of quality at the moment which is good. We've started the season well and, as a result, we're in a good position in the league. But as we know there's a lot of football to be played."

Despite getting off the mark, the Colombian international refrained from celebrating his goal out of respect for his former teammates and fans. Fulham supporters will have to wait to see his trademark thumb-sucking celebration.

"I will celebrate my next goal, that's a promise," he explained. "Hopefully there will be a lot more. It just didn't feel right, I hope the Fulham fans understood that. I was treated really well at Wigan – they were the club that gave me the chance to play in the Premier League."

His partnership with Dimitar Berbatov also provided one of the game's talking points, with the Bulgarian providing an exquisite cross for Rodallega to head in Fulham's opener.

"Berbatov is a fantastic striker, he's been one of the best for many years now," said Hugo. "It's a pleasure to play alongside him, and I think we work well together. He doesn't just score goals, but he creates them too.

"That said, the Club has a number of talented attacking players with Mladen Petrić and Bryan Ruiz also fighting for a place. The competition for a starting spot is really high, but it's a challenge I enjoy facing."

Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City are up next for Martin Jol's side, and Rodallega believes his new team can continue their impressive start to the 2012/13 season with another positive showing on Saturday.

"We all know the players that they have and how good they can be," he added. "But there's no reason why we can't get the result that we want. We're at home and want to add another three points to what we already have.

"I have a good feeling about the campaign ahead, and I think we could be the surprise of the season. Fulham have achieved a lot in the past few years and that has inspired the Team to do well, if not better.

"We are a very ambitious group and on top of wanting to do well for the fans, we want to make it a season to remember."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/september/27/off-the-mark?

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Goals for both as Fulham host Man City

Manchester City should end a tough week with victory at Craven Cottage, but are unlikely to keep a first clean sheet...

Fulham v Manchester City (Saturday, 15:00)
The Whites have won just one of their ten Premier League home games against Man City (W1 D5 L4); only against Chelsea (W1 D5 L5) do Fulham have a worse home record
If Roberto Mancini is feeling the heat then this fixture should provide the necessary cooling effect for the Italian given his side's record at Craven Cottage. City are unlikely to have it all their own way however, especially considering they have not kept a clean sheet yet this season. Both teams have scored in this fixture going back nine seasons in the Premier League.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-back-goals-at-the-cottage-270912-579.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham star makes goalscoring vow

Fulham star Hugo Rodallega has insisted that he will celebrate his next Premier League goal.

The forward refused to celebrate when he scored against former club, Wigan because he had too much respect for the Latics.

"I will celebrate my next goal, that's a promise," he explained. "Hopefully there will be a lot more. It just didn't feel right,

"I hope the Fulham fans understood that. I was treated really well at Wigan – they were the club that gave me the chance to play in the Premier League."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_makes_goalscoring_vow_1_1532303?

WhiteJC

JOL'S LIST OF MIDFIELD TARGETS TOPPED BY £7M U21 INTERNATIONAL

Atletico Madrid midfielder Raul Garcia is on Fulham's radar as Martin Jol looks to strengthen his depleted midfield.

The Cottagers boss was one of several managers interested in the 26-year-old during the summer transfer window but was put off by Atletico's £7 million asking price.

However, Jol looks set to renew his interest in the former Spanish under-21 come January, given his lack of options in the middle of the park. A host of midfielders left Craven Cottage in the summer, Dickson Etuhu and Danny Muphy both departed as well as the high profile transfers of Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

With Mahamadou Diarra a long term lay off, a dependable, experienced central midfielder is vital. With three wins from the opening five games it's been a solid, if unspectacular start for Jol's side. Fulham have looked impressive in their victories, particularly going forward.The Dutchman completed two shrewd signings in the form of Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric over the summer, which gives him a number of exciting attacking options.

Added to that is Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodallega and with such players at their disposal Fulham have the potential to have a successful season. But a midfielder, if not two, will be important if the forwards are to prosper.

With European experience Garcia could be a big asset for Fulham. Creative, yet a solid presence at the heart of midfield his ability to protect the back four whilst also providing the front men with the chances to get the goals they are clearly capable of getting.

Nigel Re0-Coker and Thomas Hitzlesperger are two names who are rumoured to be on their way to London, with the former Bolton man seemingly a more likely option. Neither are spectacular signings, but they are both available immediately and at this stage getting numbers on board is the most important thing.

That said, both have Premier League experience. Reo-Coker in particular, with his tireless work rate and bite in the tackle, is good value as there is no transfer fee involved.

With a solid defence and an impressive attack Fulham look as if they will be difficult to beat this season. Given their summer departures few will have expected them to do well. But with a bit more assurance in midfield a promising season is on the cards.

Read more at http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2012/09/premiership/jols-list-of-midfield-targets-topped-by-7m-u21-international?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29#cvHMpu1QSx3UooPs.99

WhiteJC

Phoenix Musa reject loves life at Fulham

Photosport

JAMES MUSA: His cameo against Egypt at the Olympics now has him signed with English Premier League club Fulham until January.

On Tuesday, Whanganui's James Musa was marking Dimitar Berbatov at Fulham training.

It rammed home the reality of a remarkable career transformation for the Phoenix reject, who was slogging away for Team Wellington five months ago.

But professional football is a fickle business, and a 35-minute cameo for New Zealand against Egypt at the Olympics was enough for the athletic centre back to catch the eye of Fulham's head scout.

Musa is signed with the English Premier League club until January and, although he is yet to play a game, is in the frame to debut against Liverpool in an under-21 fixture on Tuesday.

"It's just a massive eye-opener, you know, like I was at home a month ago, watching the Premier League on TV, now I'm at Fulham training with the likes of Berbatov," Musa said from west London.

"It is pretty crazy. You've got everything you could want, ice baths, massages, people there to cut your nails, it's top notch."

Musa hasn't yet indulged in a manicure, nor does he hold a grudge against the Phoenix, who released him after playing three games in the 2010-11 A-League.

Now 20, Musa simply says "everything happens for a reason".

After an initial period of confusion, he is grateful Team Wellington allowed him the platform to refocus towards his goals of playing at the Olympics and the under-20 World Cup.

Musa has had three weeks training with Fulham but his opportunities for game time with the under-21s have been blocked by the likes of senior pros Philippe Senderos and Zdenek Grygera, bidding for returns to the first team.

"It is frustrating but you can understand why," Musa said.

"I'm not angry about it. I had a chat to the coach the other day and he just said keep battling on and your chance will come. So I'm not taking it as a negative, because I know the players coming down are Premier League players."

He has ideal role models just across town in Ryan Nelsen and Winston Reid, who have been starring in the heart of defence for Queen's Park Rangers and West Ham United respectively.

"I've been watching them but they've been away on internationals so it's hard to get hold of them," Musa said. "But I got an email from Neil Emblen to say Ryan wants my number so I think we're going to get in touch. QPR is quite close to where I am so I think we'll meet up one day."

An average day at Fulham starts at 9am and ends at 4.30pm.

A team breakfast is followed a "pre-activation" warmup - "they're really big on glute exercises" - before an intense field session complete with GPS and heart rate monitors.

Once lunch settles, players hit the gym again before another hour-long field session to work on technique and specifics such as shooting or passing.

"After that you shower up and have a meeting or review the game.

"It's quite a long day but it's everyone's dream to do something that you love and earn a living doing it. I'm not trying to make millions of pounds right now. I'm just happy to get the opportunity and the money will come later."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/football/7740220/?

WhiteJC

Jol weighing up Hargreaves swoop

Martin Jol is once again prepared to turn to free agents to solve his mounting problems in midfield, and is understood to be interested in Nigel Reo-Coker, Thomas Hitzlsperger and Owen Hargreaves.

Having failed to properly reinforce the area after the exits of Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and Moussa Dembele in the summer window, the Fulham boss then saw Mahamadou Diarra ruled out for up to six months with a knee injury.

That has resulted in both Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird filling in, with Jol also bringing out-of-contract Greek veteran Giorgios Karagounis to the club.

With growing talk of his interest in the trio, Jol confirmed that he would have no problem going back into the free agent market again.

"As you know, when there was an opportunity with Karagounis we did that," he said. "There was an opportunity last year with Diarra and we did that. If there's an opportunity to get a good player in we will do that."

Fulham currently have 22 names on their Premier League squad, meaning they can still add up to three free agents.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/172180.html?CMP=OTC-RSS#vcR0GpyKqSupVBvS.99

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Manchester City: Date, Time, Live Stream, TV Info and Preview

This game should be an exciting one down to the finish.
Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Manchester City is looking to get back to top form as they take on Fulham in Saturday's English Premier League match. Fulham has surprised nearly everyone with how well they've been playing, whereas Manchester City looks to be slowly falling from the top.

You would probably laugh if somebody were to tell you that Fulham would have three wins, zero draws and two losses through their first five games. Now it appears as though that person would be laughing at you for not believing them, because that is exactly how Fulham is doing. They're currently on a two-game winning streak, with one of the wins coming against West Bromwich Albion, who are sitting at No. 4 in the EPL standings.

Manchester City started the year out with a shaky win over Southampton and haven't done much since. They are No. 7 in the standings and have two wins, three draws and zero losses. Not losing a game so far is impressive, but their inability to close games is concerning.

Where: Craven Cottage, London, England

When: Saturday, September 29, 10:00 a.m. ET

Live Stream: foxsoccer2go.com

TV Information: Fox Soccer Channel, 10:00 a.m.-11:45 a.m. ET

Manchester City Needs to Pick Up Their Level of Play

Manchester City's two wins have come against Southampton and Queens Park Rangers, the No. 16 and No. 19 teams in the EPL standings, respectively.

Their draws have come against Arsenal, Liverpool and Stoke City. Only Arsenal is in the top 12 of the standings, which brings up questions about if Manchester City can play well against good teams.

On the bright side, they aren't losing games that they shouldn't be losing. Every game this year has ended in a win or a draw, and even though the team isn't beating all of the bad teams that they've played, they still aren't losing to them, either.

Tom Sunderland, Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report, wrote an article on why this year's team could actually be better than last year's. One of his reasons was because of their English Premier League unbeaten streak:

It isn't always possible to come out with 100 percent of the points 100 percent of the time, and draws are a common component of a title-winning campaign, even if not the most glamorous route.

Manchester City have picked up draws against Liverpool, Arsenal and Stoke City already this season, and while many Citizens will be disappointed not to have come out of those fixtures in the best way possible, an unbeaten streak is still something to be proud of.

It's obviously way too early for Manchester City to panic or to lose sight of the bigger picture. They also haven't played poorly enough to take themselves out of the title race.

That being said, it is extremely important for the team to get back on track, and a win against Fulham would do just that.

Don't be surprised if Fulham starts out the game with a quick goal or two.
Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Is Fulham a Legitimate Threat?

Fulham opened their season with a bang by beating Norwich City by a score of 5-0. Could that have been a sign of things to come?

It's absolutely possible, as they've gone on to win against Wigan Athletic and the previously mentioned West Bromwich Albion. Their two losses can't be viewed as anything too disappointing, either.

West Ham United shut them out, but Fulham also barely lost a close one to Manchester United in their second game of the year.

When it comes to playing Manchester City, Fulham will have one key advantage.

They will be playing at home.

In this season's two home games, Fulham has scored eight goals and their opponents are scoreless. The level of competition certainly hasn't had the same type of offensive firepower that Manchester City possesses, but it's still something to look for.

Beating a successful team is necessary if Fulham wants to be considered as one of the top squads in the EPL. Maybe that win could come against Manchester City.

Fulham vs. Manchester City Will End in a Draw: 2-2

Look for Fulham to take an early lead in this one, as Manchester city will be trying to play catch up for most of the first half.

A promising start won't be enough, as Manchester City is too strong on offense to not tie this game up with some time remaining. From there it becomes a race to the next goal.

There's only one problem: not every race is finished.

Neither team will be able to score the deciding goal and this game should end in a draw.

That would still be a positive result for Fulham, but chances are that a draw would only add fuel to questions about how Manchester City is playing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1350146-fulham-vs-manchester-city-date-time-live-stream-tv-info-and-preview?

WhiteJC

Opposition view: Fulham

Ahead of Saturday's game at Craven Cottage Bluemoon caught up with Kyle from Fulham's Finest blog to get the lowdown on the opposition...

What are your expectations for this season?

It's a bit of a funny question.  With the roller coaster that's been the beginning to this season, expectations have kind of gone up and down with the peaks and valleys of the emotions.  I would say at the moment, the preseason expectation of top-10 finish is attainable.  It's going to be a struggle with a real lack of a midfield, but as long as the club can limp its way to January, we should be fine. I'll discuss more on this in a bit.

Are you happy with the manager?

Yes. Martin Jol has done a phenomenal job.  The transfer window didn't exactly go as planned for him or for us (more on that later) but a lot of it wasn't his fault.  He's quite possibly one of the most adaptable managers I've ever seen, so to have him on our side during this time where the midfield is in question is a real strength.  We've already seen it in our last two wins.  He not only adapts to the players he has available and what their strengths are, but also adapts to the opponent.  Against Wigan last week, despite having a lack of midfield players, Jol knows it's practically impossible to get anything up the wings at Wigan, so all our attacks were made centrally and on the counter.  The week before against West Brom, almost everything came up the wings, and he used the full backs to his advantage on the attack.  It's been really fun to watch.

Who are your key players?

Well at the moment anyone with the letters "CM" next to their name is a key player! In all seriousness, our key player at the moment without a doubt is Dimitar Berbatov.  The entire attack now revolves around him, and rightly so.  He's one of the biggest signings in this club's history, and he's been nothing but a positive addition so far. It's been a while since we've been able to say we have a true, consistent goal hawk at the front.

Were you happy with the business conducted during the transfer window?

Yes and no. A lot of this wasn't Martin Jol's fault, but the Clint Dempsey saga was definitely a distraction and losing Moussa Dembele hurt a ton. He was the most important player on the squad at the opening of the transfer window, so to subtract a creative mind like his was killer.  It's a big reason why my biggest fear right now for this club is getting the ball to Dimitar.  I'll talk more about this in a moment, but it's left the club with a real hole in the middle of the pitch.  Jol had lined up replacements, but with everything happening so late, and a few things not falling into place, nothing materialized. However, the Berbatov signing obviously quelled many fears, and we have yet to see a promising young winger from Wolfsburg Ashkan Dejagah. The kid can flat out cross the ball like you've never seen.  It's his strength, and something this club lacks is a good crosser (outside maybe Damien Duff). Dejagah is currently injured, and was at the time of his transfer, but he's a great player.

Are there any rising stars in the squad that we might not have heard of?

A few weeks ago I would have pointed out Alex Kacaniklic as someone you probably haven't heard of but will in a little.  Well it's been a little while and now he's performed consistently on the biggest stage and locked down the left wing position for the time being.  He came over to Fulham in the hilarious-in-hindsight deal sending Paul Konchesky to Liverpool.  He's one of the bigger creative threats on the club with Dembele gone, and has developed somewhat of a partnership linking with Berbatov in their short time playing together.  Keep an eye out for Kacaniklic making runs from the left wing into the box and then looking to set up the ex-Manchester United star.

Your Achilles heel?

Midfield, no question.  Jol has planted Chris Baird into the central midfield and he's performed admirably the last two matches, along with Steve Sidwell. However, I can't imagine that lasting long term, and sometime soon one or both will come back down to Earth and there will be serious issues.  Giorgos Karagounis is an option as well, but a 35-year old option at that.  Otherwise, it's thin. We learned recently that Mahamadou Diarra, who had defied his age and shown he has a lot left in the tank, will be having knee surgery and could be out the rest of the season, and that's a massive blow. Kieran Richardson is versatile but has been poor in his short time at Craven Cottage. That's literally it. Sidwell, Baird, Karagounis, and Richardson. It's going to be a struggle long-term to make it to January unscathed, but they're off to a good start.

If you could have any City player in your team who would you choose?

If you asked me this question in person, you'd realize how sure of my answer I am because I'd cut you off before you finished the question. It's Sergio Aguero. He has a sixth sense for where the goal is, can set his teammates up, and has such a positive attitude, he flat out makes everyone around him better.  You can't ask for much more than what he brings to City.

What is your perception of City as a club?

I like City.  They're confident, but it's more of a "we know we can perform at a high level and expect to do so on a regular basis" confident, rather than a "we deserve to win the league because we're Manchester United" confident. Oops, did I say that out loud? Sorry United fans...

Likely starting XI for the game, and score prediction?

Don't expect too many changes from the last two weeks, it's been working. Starting XI: Schwarzer; Riise, Hangeland, Hughes, Riether; Sidwell, Baird, Duff, Kacaniklic; Ruiz, Berbatov.  Expect Berba to play up front, and Ruiz to sit just behind him.  Bryan hasn't played in a while due to injury, so hopefully he's not too rusty.  As for a prediction, I expect it to be a close, hard-fought game since Fulham always do well at home.  City have struggled recently, but I don't see that as an advantage to Fulham, because with a club like Man City, they don't stay down for extended periods of time, so they should bounce back soon (hopefully not this weekend!).  I think it will be 2-1 to City, but I wouldn't be overly shocked with a draw. That may be wishful thinking though.

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/index.php/2012/09/27/opposition-view-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Berbatov is a 'pleasure to play alongside', says Rodallega
The Colombia international believes that Fulham will be the "surprise of the season" and points to the quality of his new attacking team-mate as a significant reason why

Fulham striker Hugo Rodallega says that it is a pleasure to play alongside fellow new signing Dimitar Berbatov.

The Colombia international was one of three forwards to join the club over the summer, with the Bulgarian and Mladen Petric also arriving at Craven Cottage.

Rodallega scored his first Fulham goal when deployed alongside the Bulgarian against Wigan and has hailed the quality that the former Manchester United player has to offer.

"Berbatov is a fantastic striker, he's been one of the best for many years now," he told the club's official website.

"It's a pleasure to play alongside him, and I think we work well together. He doesn't just score goals, but he creates them too.

"That said, the club has a number of talented attacking players with Petric and Bryan Ruiz also fighting for a place. The competition for a starting spot is really high but it's a challenge I enjoy facing."

Fulham host Manchester City on Saturday and Rodallega has set his sights on collecting three points from the defending champions, describing the Cottagers as the potential "surprise of the season".

"We all know the players that they have and how good they can be," he said of Roberto Mancini's team.

"But there's no reason why we can't get the result that we want. We're at home and want to add another three points to what we already have.

"I have a good feeling about the campaign ahead, and I think we could be the surprise of the season. Fulham have achieved a lot in the past few years and that has inspired the team to do well, if not better.

"We are a very ambitious group and on top of wanting to do well for the fans, we want to make it a season to remember."

Rodallega decided against celebrating against Wigan, his previous club, but promised to display his happiness next time around.

"I was at Wigan for a long time, so of course, they are a club close to my heart," he explained.

"It was strange going back there, and even stranger scoring against them. But I'm a Fulham player now, and it meant a lot to get my first goal. You never forget your first goal for a club.

"I will celebrate my next goal, that's a promise. Hopefully there will be a lot more. It just didn't feel right, I hope the Fulham fans understood that. I was treated really well at Wigan – they were the club that gave me the chance to play in the Premier League."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/27/3408011/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham star thinks 'ambitious' Cottagers can upset Man City

Hugo Rodallega has backed Fulham to maintain their perfect home record when champions Manchester City come to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Fulham thumped Norwich City 5-0 on the Premier League's opening day in west London and beat West Brom 3-0 two weeks ago.

And former Wigan striker Rodallega, who scored his first goal for Fulham in their 2-1 victory over his old club last weekend, thinks they have nothing to fear against Roberto Mancini's side.

"We all know the players that they have and how good they can be," he told Fulham's official website.

"But there's no reason why we can't get the result that we want.

"We're at home and want to add another three points to what we already have."

Rodallega believes Fulham have the quality and ambition to be dark horses this season.

"I have a good feeling about the campaign ahead, and I think we could be the surprise of the season," he said.

"Fulham have achieved a lot in the past few years and that has inspired the team to do well, if not better.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_thinks_ambitious_cottagers_can_upset_man_city_1_1532547?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Man City

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini won't have been too impressed by his side's defending against Aston Villa on Tuesday but the Capital One Cup was their fourth priority this season and I don't think he will be too sorry not to have to worry about it anymore.

Fulham picked up a good away win over Wigan last week, especially when you consider that their form on the road is usually their biggest problem.

Martin Jol's side are very strong at home and Dimitar Berbatov is bedding in very nicely - he and Hugo Rodallega looks like a very promising partnership - but Craven Cottage is the sort of place City will enjoy going to.

It is a great old ground, a bit like Goodison Park but without the same intimidation for the players.

City haven't got going yet, but neither have Manchester United, and they are still up there near the top of the table and still undefeated so there is nothing for Mancini's men to worry about. It is almost inevitable that they have made a slow start after winning the title.

Prediction: 0-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19696253

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Manchester City: Complete Preview, Team News and Projected Lineups

Manchester City are in a rather frustrating rut at the moment. Their last three games between three competitions have told the tale of a club that has a lot more to be desired across the board.

Starting last week with what looked set for an amazing upset against the run of play in Madrid, the English champions shipped away two leads against the run of play to give Real Madrid an opening-day victory in the UEFA Champions League.

The Citizens followed up that performance with another of similar fashion when they hosted Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, September 23rd. Once again City went top first, but their defensive mistakes eventually cost them the full three points against the visiting Gunners who look set to challenge the defending champions for their crown this season.

Last but not least, there is no excuse for the poorness that was seen out of the side against Aston Villa in Tuesday's Capital One Cup match at home. City got off to a great start, taking the lead just 27 minutes into the match. However, an unfortunate defensive blunder saw a Gareth Barry own goal bring the Villains level.

Aleksandar Kolarov managed to secure a brief lead once again only to have Gabriel Agbonlahor cancel it out to force extra time. That would prove to be the death of City as continued defensive failings would see Charles N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor wrap up a 2-4 victory away from home to embarrass Roberto Mancini.

Fulham got to spend the week preparing for City after having been knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Sheffield Wednesday back in August. After two straight league wins over West Bromwich Albion and Wigan Athletic, Martin Jol's side continues to look much improved from last season.

The addition of Dimitar Berbatov has added a world-class attack that Fulham was usually not known for in the past, and his abilities to find the back of the net with his rather nonchalant style could be just the kind of approach that disrupts City's back line.

However, Jol could be looking to still add further reinforcements to his squad, according to ESPN, as the free-agent pool could yet be tapped by Fulham in the coming weeks.

Projected Lineups

Fulham: Mark Schwarzer; John Arne Riise, Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes, Sascha Reither; Chris Baird, Steve Sidwell, Damien Duff, Alexander Kacaniklic; Hugo Rodallega, Dimitar Berbatov

Manchester City: Joe Hart; Gael Clichy, Joleon Lescott, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta; Yaya Toure, Gareth Barry, Javi Garcia, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1345307-fulham-vs-manchester-city-complete-preview-team-news-and-projected-lineups?

WhiteJC

Luis Boa Morte on trial at Portsmouth with Akos Buzsaky

Former Arsenal, West Ham and Southampton forward Luis Boa Morte is on trial at League One Portsmouth.

Boa Morte, 35, has 28 international caps for Portugal and had been playing Major League Soccer with Canadian side Toronto FC.

West Ham paid £5m in 2007 for Boa Morte, who joins Hungarian midfielder Akos Buzsaky on trial at Fratton Park.

Meanwhile, defender Josh Thompson suffered an ankle injury in training and could be out for six weeks.

Pompey manager Michael Appleton also confirmed that striker Luke Rodgers is set for a lengthy lay-off.

But Appleton, whose entire squad are on one-month deals, says he is hopeful of being able to sign at least two players on loan before Saturday's game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19747616