more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham on Targett!

Started by bill taylors apprentice, January 22, 2018, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twang

Quote from: Twig on January 22, 2018, 10:43:20 AM
So who is first choice as LB now, Odoi or Taggart? Would be tough on Odoi to be dropped to the bench, he has been versatile and reliable for us.

If Targett lives up to the expectations Odoi should move central to partner Ream. Kalas on the bench.

Twig

Quote from: twang on January 22, 2018, 11:13:50 AM
So who is first choice as LB now, Odoi or Taggart? Would be tough on Odoi to be dropped to the bench, he has been versatile and reliable for us.

If Targett lives up to the expectations Odoi should move central to partner Ream. Kalas on the bench.

I think I would go with that on current form. PS sorry for misspelling Targett's name!

SuffolkWhite

Important signing if he can do the job for us as Sess will be free to attack, Odoi can battle both LB and CB positions now. Would stick with Odoi in either position until he loses form.

Striker next please.

COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bill taylors apprentice

Everything about this loan signing has 'positive move' written all over it IMO.

Young player who's come through the excellent Southampton Academy.
Good chance Huw Jennings knows something about him and has made his feelings known.
PL experience and looking to move his career forward.
The first recruit in since the stats man was shown the door.

My only (minor) concern is Khan jnr is still involved in recruitment and it was him who gave the welcome comment not the HC! 

filham

So is Targett just another squad player signed to give us depth and will he be behind Sess. and Odoi  for the left back spot  or will he be our 1st choice left back for the rest of the season.

Truth is we don't know and will have to wait until he has convinced Jocanovic in training that he is up to the job.

Lighthouse

It was a position we badly needed strengthening. I have no idea how good he is but then after experts were aggressively telling me how good Soares was I am happy to remain hopeful but ignorant. Good luck to him.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tabby

If Slavisa actually wants to play him, that makes the defensive depth a lot better. Now we can have Sess on the wing if any of the other defenders gets an injury or suspension.

Southcoastffc

We need 3 CBs, with Madl gone, any 2 from Ream, Kalas and Odoi give us injury cover.  Djalo probably doesn't figure in teh CB role.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

S.F.Sorrow

Very important signing! With Odoi in the squad this is almost like signing two players!  :54:

I just hope Odoi isn't dropped. He deserves a place somewhere in the starting 11.

tommy

When Luke Shaw left Southampton and Targett came in, I remember thinking he was a ready made replacement. He played well back then at least.

Tonywa

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 22, 2018, 11:35:35 AM
It was a position we badly needed strengthening. I have no idea how good he is but then after experts were aggressively telling me how good Soares was I am happy to remain hopeful but ignorant. Good luck to him.

Indeed and as you say this forum was full of people in the summer who told us Soares was going to be one of our most important signings for a long time.  They probably hadn't seen him play either.  Hopefully Targett has been signed on the recommendation of the knowledgable Jennings and not via the ignorance and computer of Kahn.  I'm looking forward to seeing him and if he fits in it will enable Less to play further up the field on a regular basis which can be only for the good.  Welcome Matt Targett and COYW!!!!!!!

glenhodgso

Quote from: twang on January 22, 2018, 11:13:50 AM

Or.... Targett at LB with Dennis at RB should Fred leave this month...

....  I believe Fred's contract is up at the end of the season. If he doesn't sign a new one in the next week I suspect we will cash him in

Not something I want to happen but I imagine someone is covering some bases here

KJS

Quote from: snarks on January 22, 2018, 09:54:22 AM
I work with a load of saints fans, they think it's a very good signing for Fulham. They can't understand why Saints let him go.

I WORK WITH A FEW TOO AND THEY ALL SAID THE SAME

Twig

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 22, 2018, 12:49:06 PM
Very important signing! With Odoi in the squad this is almost like signing two players!  :54:

I just hope Odoi isn't dropped. He deserves a place somewhere in the starting 11.

As twang said above, drop Kalas to the bench and play Odoi alongside Ream in central defense.  Suddenly sounds like a strong back 4 with some cover.

howitis

Interesting loan deal. Has a sweet left foot and can cross and pick a long ball but mobility is limited and certainly doesn't have the natural speed/mobility of a modern full back. Many think his best position is playing further up on the left. With this in mind I see him being used as cover. Anyway let's hope he can add something when called upon. Soares was a joke.

alfie

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 22, 2018, 09:32:09 AM
Quote from: Ordar on January 22, 2018, 09:28:34 AM
Spoke to a Saints fan who doesnt rate him at all. Says he's alright going forward, but weak defensively.

I am sure he is better than soares
Would not know, never seen Soares play.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

What I have seen of Soares, he was too fragile for English football, like a rabbit caught in headlights, I don't know where the recruitment merchants dig these players out from, they have a lot to answer for, we have better prospects in our Academy that if called upon despite their age would not let us down.
Matt Targett in my book is a good signing and he has to be around 6 foot in height and has represented England at youth levels.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

Good signing. I think the importance of foot preference is one that we really need to start considering as key to our system.

Since we move the ball so quickly into the defensive third, it takes all but one touch cut back inside that cause so many things to go out of sync. Look at how quickly we move the ball on the right side, compared to the left side, on Saturday. It's completely different. This isn't a knock on Odoi, it's not his fault he's right footed, but it is enough to throw things off. With Targett now, he can whip the ball into the box with his left. This opens doors for early crosses, or taking players on and then crossing like Fredericks tends to do.

Having a left footed LB is going to make a world of difference. Just watch. Two young and promising players on the left side with Targett and Sess, then led by the veteran of Johansen...goodness, this is going to be brilliant. Our forwards will be licking their chops. Just watch.

dorsetwhite

Totally underwhelming addition. A 3rd choice left back from a struggling premiership side. Pathetic!!

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Twig on January 22, 2018, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 22, 2018, 12:49:06 PM

As twang said above, drop Kalas to the bench and play Odoi alongside Ream in central defense.  Suddenly sounds like a strong back 4 with some cover.
Whoa, horse!  Kalas has been playing pretty well last few games.  Chemistry imperiled if we start mucking about on the back line.