watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When Derby equalised

Started by BedsFFC, April 25, 2018, 08:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

It was so apparent that the Cardiff coaching side went into win or bust mode. The commentator said Cardiff would be happy with a draw. They went all out for a win as if a draw was as bad as a loss. Within 3 minutes they brought on two attacking players and went full on attack. Actually, this meant they played the last 20 minutes with the most direct long ball game I have ever seen since John Beck's teams in the 80's. This played into Derby's hands and gave the midfield so much space.

Was it panic or was it because they have studied Hull and now don't think they can get 3 points there. Their whole body language, even at 1-1 looked shot.

If you have technical and quick forward players, you will cause cardiff's defence panic stations.

I don't know anything about Hull's forward players. Anyone know how they play?

MJG

Quote from: BedsFFC on April 25, 2018, 08:43:37 AM
It was so apparent that the Cardiff coaching side went into win or bust mode. The commentator said Cardiff would be happy with a draw. They went all out for a win as if a draw was as bad as a loss. Within 3 minutes they brought on two attacking players and went full on attack. Actually, this meant they played the last 20 minutes with the most direct long ball game I have ever seen since John Beck's teams in the 80's. This played into Derby's hands and gave the midfield so much space.

Was it panic or was it because they have studied Hull and now don't think they can get 3 points there. Their whole body language, even at 1-1 looked shot.

If you have technical and quick forward players, you will cause cardiff's defence panic stations.

Dont know, but a stat I found this morning is that Hull are the top goalscorers in the league over the last 15 games!!!!
Just the views of a long term fan

Milo

I must've repeated this a thousand times on here over the past few days..!!

Because of how few games there are, and because of the goal difference... Cardiff needed 3 wins out of 4 regardless of the result in the fourth. That was the only way they could get the points they needed.

Therefore a loss WAS as good as a draw. Indeed it means nothing they lost 3-1 as we had better GD anyway.

However admittedly psychologically the big loss must have some impact on their mind set.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Milo on April 25, 2018, 08:53:57 AM

Sorry Sir

Sgt Fulham

It's not quite the same. A loss opens the door for another loss allowing us to draw a game assuming they beat Reading who are trash.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Milo on April 25, 2018, 08:53:57 AM

Because of how few games there are, and because of the goal difference... Cardiff needed 3 wins out of 4 regardless of the result in the fourth. That was the only way they could get the points they needed.

Therefore a loss WAS as good as a draw. Indeed it means nothing they lost 3-1 as we had better GD anyway.

However admittedly psychologically the big loss must have some impact on their mind set.

But what about this scenario: They only get 3 points from their remaining two games.

In this scenario we will only need a win + a draw to be promoted on goal difference. Right? If they had managed a draw against Derby we would've had to win both our remaining games.

So I'd say a loss was NOT as good as a draw for them yesterday. It's still in their hands but it might just put less pressure on us before our last game. If we win against Sunderland and they lose against Hull we will only need a draw against Birmingham (unless they win  at least 7-0 against Reading).

Or am I missing something here???  1500.gif

Andy S

How can you get 3 points from 2 games? Oh I see 3 points from 1 game and none from the other. The problem is with your scenario is that you cannot go out and defend for 90 mins. Our final game may mean that the opposing players are already on holiday but it could well be the same for Cardiffs opponents

colinwhite

Its a much about the psycollogy as the points. to concede those three late goals really piles the pressure on Cardiff. If we win on friday they could blow it against Hull. If they lose to hull and we get the 3 points against sunderland a draw will do us in the last game .

Andy S

No we have to go for a win no matter what. Mindset is a strange thing it can come back to bite you

filham

A good result for us and we are still in the automatic promotion race. Cardiff's confidence has been dented but the manager should put that right by Saturday and then they have only to win matches against two teams with nothing to play for. They should manage that.

We should beat Sunderland so the race for 2nd place will carry on to the final game of the season, a tremendous performance by us considering our position at Christmas.

Right now though it looks as if we could be playing Derby in the 1st round of the play offs, that would be tough.

bill taylors apprentice

If's, but's and maybe's!
The trouble with being retired is you don't have work to occupy your mind for large chunks of the day!

I'm off to play Golf, that usually keeps me sane, Not!  :031:

WhiteJC

Quote from: Andy S on April 25, 2018, 10:12:44 AM
No we have to go for a win no matter what. Mindset is a strange thing it can come back to bite you

0001.jpeg

FulhamStu

If we get a point v Sunderland and Cardiff lose both their remaining games we go up.
It all matters not, we just have to worry about winning our games, forget Cardiff and let them worry about us.   We win all our remaining games, and playoffs or not, we get promoted.

Chesh

Quote from: FulhamStu on April 25, 2018, 11:05:16 AM
If we get a point v Sunderland and Cardiff lose both their remaining games we go up.
Not if Villa win their last 2 games as well - don't forget, if us and Cardiff slip up over two games, they are only 3 points and 3 goals behind us....
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Stevieboy

On last nights showing I don't fear Derby in the playoffs.
They played terribly and only a poorer performance by Cardiff allowed them to win.
They gave the ball away constantly and didn't show much creativity.....they just matched Cardiff for brute force and directness in the last 30mins.
We would have them shattered by then.....

Southcoastffc

What if then what if then what if and what if?  Seems that straightforward. 🙃
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: filham on April 25, 2018, 10:14:54 AM

We should beat Sunderland so the race for 2nd place will carry on to the final game of the season, a tremendous performance by us considering our position at Christmas.

Quite right.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria