News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


NFR:Eurovision

Started by spikey norman, May 16, 2026, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

Quote from: Twig on May 17, 2026, 10:45:27 AMNo established British stars would go near it with a barge pole, it's widely regarded as a kiss of death for their careers by the artists and their labels and agents alike. So trying to get a top act is a non starter.
When we tried a public vote to select our act it didn't go well either so no point in reverting to that drawn out fiasco.
I think we just have to understand that because the UK is such an established market for mainstream music this competition is regarded as a comedy sideshow here. And most people couldn't care less if we keep finishing last.
As to politics and regional alliances of course they play a huge part in the voting and the UK is just unpopular. In for me, in for me they've all got it in for us (to slightly misquote).
Why though? Is there any evidence of someone ruining their career because they participated?

There are certain aspects of the Eurovision that I don't enjoy, but it's still a good place to see some artists you might not have normally heard about.

As for politics, again, how do you explain Bulgaria this year, or even Romania who finished third. Or how do you explain UK finishing 2nd a few years ago? Heck, even last year you got a really solid amount of jury votes. The biggest problem for UK in the Eurovision isn't politics, it's that you usually send cr*p songs.

As soon as I heard your song this year I was sure it would be dead last. I'm surprised it even got one point. There were maybe a few songs in the semifinals that were worse and nq'd but out of all the songs in the final, UK's was easily the worst. He seems like a nice guy, but the song is garbage.

john dempsey

Quote from: gang on May 17, 2026, 12:10:24 AMWhen did Australia become European?











  In 1788. unfortunately.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria


Twig

Quote from: SerbianLad on May 17, 2026, 11:24:47 AM
Quote from: Twig on May 17, 2026, 10:45:27 AMNo established British stars would go near it with a barge pole, it's widely regarded as a kiss of death for their careers by the artists and their labels and agents alike. So trying to get a top act is a non starter.
When we tried a public vote to select our act it didn't go well either so no point in reverting to that drawn out fiasco.
I think we just have to understand that because the UK is such an established market for mainstream music this competition is regarded as a comedy sideshow here. And most people couldn't care less if we keep finishing last.
As to politics and regional alliances of course they play a huge part in the voting and the UK is just unpopular. In for me, in for me they've all got it in for us (to slightly misquote).
Why though? Is there any evidence of someone ruining their career because they participated?

There are certain aspects of the Eurovision that I don't enjoy, but it's still a good place to see some artists you might not have normally heard about.

As for politics, again, how do you explain Bulgaria this year, or even Romania who finished third. Or how do you explain UK finishing 2nd a few years ago? Heck, even last year you got a really solid amount of jury votes. The biggest problem for UK in the Eurovision isn't politics, it's that you usually send cr*p songs.

As soon as I heard your song this year I was sure it would be dead last. I'm surprised it even got one point. There were maybe a few songs in the semifinals that were worse and nq'd but out of all the songs in the final, UK's was easily the worst. He seems like a nice guy, but the song is garbage.

SL if you can't see why a band like Oasis or Coldplay or Ed Sheeran wouldn't go near it then there isn't much I can say to help your understanding.
As to politics just look at the regional block voting, it's blindingly obvious.

I'm not knocking it as a bit of lighthearted entertainment but for any serious music lover there has never been anything worth listening to. I, for one, am never ever going to find a band on E'vision whose album I want to rush out and buy or who I want to go and see live.

alfie

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on May 17, 2026, 09:42:34 AMI love the awkwardness of the hosts, and the fact it is so diverse.
But the UK could send Oasis and we would still score zero... it has just become so political..
Pity...
COYW
Well I wouldn't vote for Oasis.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

john dempsey

You are not allowed to vote for your
own country.


SerbianLad

Quote from: Twig on May 17, 2026, 12:16:55 PMSL if you can't see why a band like Oasis or Coldplay or Ed Sheeran wouldn't go near it then there isn't much I can say to help your understanding.
As to politics just look at the regional block voting, it's blindingly obvious.

I'm not knocking it as a bit of lighthearted entertainment but for any serious music lover there has never been anything worth listening to. I, for one, am never ever going to find a band on E'vision whose album I want to rush out and buy or who I want to go and see live.

I don't see why they wouldn't go near, no. But it doesn't even have to be someone as "big" as that. And if someone as big as that did come, you honestly think e.g. Ed Sheeran wouldn't win comfortably? I'd bet my house he'd break all points records.

As I also said it's an either this or that type of situation. It doesn't have to be a superstar, a better song would suffice.

There are obviously some politics involved (again Israel and Ukraine being prime examples, or Greece and Cyprus giving each other 12 points every year, etc), but that's not the reason you're last. The song was absolutely horrendous this year. Sam Ryder finished 2nd. He's not a superstar, he just sent a decent song (not my taste personally). He didn't go with a pile of cr*p your song this year is. Olly Alexander the year before is a good example of the "celebrity" thing I've mentioned. He's obviously not a huge celebrity like those you have mentioned, but he's famous enough to get some points.

I do think you got shafted by the public vote a bit last year. It wasn't my cup of tea but it didn't deserve 0 points. It got quite a lot of jury points though.

The point is, you need a celeb or a decent song and you won't be last for sure. The song you sent this year deservedly got last place and it has nothing to do with politics. Any country that sent that would be last.

Coastwalker

Absolute outdated trash. :cheesy:

alfie

Quote from: john dempsey on May 17, 2026, 12:24:08 PMYou are not allowed to vote for your
own country.
Isn't there a vote to select the contestant, if so then my comment stands 🤣
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't


Twig

#29
Quote from: alfie on May 17, 2026, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on May 17, 2026, 12:24:08 PMYou are not allowed to vote for your
own country.
Isn't there a vote to select the contestant, if so then my comment stands 🤣

In the UK there is no longer any vote to select our contestant, that was stopped a while back thank goodness (saves tedious rounds of UK selection heats).

alfie

Quote from: Twig on May 17, 2026, 03:00:31 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 17, 2026, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on May 17, 2026, 12:24:08 PMYou are not allowed to vote for your
own country.
Isn't there a vote to select the contestant, if so then my comment stands 🤣

In the UK there is no longer any vote to select our contestant, that was stopped a while back thank goodness (saves tedious rounds of UK selection heats).
Oh well I'm not voting then.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't